• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Symbol Life (413)

V Faction

www.faction.com
Alfonso said:
...I'm pretty damn sure other Pokemon other than Torkoal can learn Heat Wave. o__o; Arcanine, for one, I believe.
I'm still thinking in Hoenn terms.

In Ruby/Sapphire, Torkoal was the only one that could get Heat Wave.

In Fire Red/Leaf Green, Moltres can get it (nothing to fret about). But they also made it so Charizard had it as a move tutor attack. -_-

Before that, I was sure that Slugma/Macargo could get it through chain breeding, but I guess that isn't the case looking at Serebii's Dex. And Arcanine and Ninetales are new news to me, but they still don't really learn-learn it.

EDIT: As a matter of fact... Click. Psypoke says it can.

W

Waveblaster

I remember that too. The Chaeizard did use Heat Wave, why couldn't Ash's Charizard use Heat Wave and not steal Overheat from Torkoal...

W

Wolf Cypher

How dare they have Ash's battle against the coolest Brain a simple battle between two Pokémon? The battles should have been like the game: Ash battle a couple of trainers, switching from Rental Pokémon to Rental Pokémon and then battle Noland using Random Pokémon! At least they gave Noland a legendary.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Wolf Cypher said:
At least they gave Noland a legendary.
I don't see that as a plus. It means the only possible contender is Charizard. And I'm not too keen on it.

If it was something other than Articuno, we may have gotten a slim chance of another Pokemon.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Would it be bad to say that I'd actually prefer that to Charizard coming back, as long as it meant Pikachu getting a new (good) attack? >_>

Hi Volt Tackle!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, but you know all the bashing that would come to the anime because of Pikachu taking down a legendary.

People still don't even like it that Pikachu took down Dragonite (despite the fact that Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros all weakened it first)....so I fear what would happen if Pikachu ever DID take down a legendary Pokemon.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Everyone kept saying that Charizard had "awesome power" at the start of the episode. I couldn't see much of a difference, aside from the fact that Flamethrower had gotten bigger. May also commented that Charizard has "awesome speed". Again, it didn't seem any faster to me.
-TR's crayon-drawing fantasies never fail to amuse me
-You have to wonder how TR managed to talk while frozen :/
-As great as TR is, they really shouldn't be in eppies like this...
-The ref said "Ready, go!". In English. I find that awesome for some reason.
-Gotta wonder how winged Pokemon have to flap to take off, but once they're in the air, they can ascend, change direction, and go forward without any flapping at all. They can't ALL be riding on rising hot air.
-So Charizard apparently can't change the direction of Flamethrower once its started, and it can't stop abruptly if it see that the opponent is just going to dodge the entire thing. Hmm.
-What happened to Charizard being able to flap its wings to clear away mists, smokescreens, and fogs? Or was it just caught off guard and not able to allevate the situaution beofer Articuno struck?
-It's oddly appropriate that this episode happened to get Regice eyecatches...
-Aaaanddd...we get another variation on Seismic Toss. Joy.
-Remind me again why Datsura had the ref wait before declaring Charizard unable to battle?
-Wait...so basically, Articuno was owning Charizard for nearly all of the battle, but Charizard was the one left standing after Seismic Toss? WTF.
-Knowledge symbol? More like the "Charizard always wins(unless its against Blaziken)" symbol.
-Ash gets another case in which to old the shiny plastic objects he's collecting. Joy...still, it's blue, which is a nice change of place from the omnipresent red(of Pokeballs, Pokedexes, Ash's other badge case, Ash's hat, May's outfit, May's ribbon case, Scott's car, Birch's car, the TR logo...of course, I could probably get a list just as large for other colors). And I like the shade of blue it is.
-A random thought...will we ever get to see Scott's eyes? Or will they remain hidden behind those sunglasses, but not recieve much notice because people are too focused on Brock's lack of eyes?

V Faction

www.faction.com
Cybercubed said:
Yeah, but you know all the bashing that would come to the anime because of Pikachu taking down a legendary.

People still don't even like it that Pikachu took down Dragonite (despite the fact that Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros all weakened it first)....so I fear what would happen if Pikachu ever DID take down a legendary Pokemon.
I didn't say it would have to beat it! Ha! No, it would a learning experience for Ash, with the bonus of Volt Tackle. Later, they'd have a rematch or something with normal Pokemon.

Batdude

Old school
V Faction said:
Why couldn't it have used Blast Burn and saved us some anguish?
Where's the fun in that? It gives us an excuse to see Charizard towards the end of the BF saga! *jumps for joy*

And Pikachu did sweet shag all to that Dragonite. A Thunder to the head? Wow. And only after three others had to weaken it first. Good work there Pikachu. I would have nearly wanted Pikachu to fight Articuno, just so it could get it's arse handed to it on a plate.

How many new attacks has Charizard discovered with important battles now? Seismic Toss with Magmar (well not really discovered, but first used by him), Dragon Rage with Dragonite, Dragonbreath and Overheat with Articuno. Is that it?

V Faction

www.faction.com
Don't know if it may come back. Seeing Blast Burn in the anime is going to be quite the experience. The attack may suck harder than a Geodude in a rainstorm in the games, but it's portrayal in the anime is bound to be something spectacular. I only wonder what they could pit Char-head against that would rival Articuno, making Blast Burn that more worthwhile. Another legend perhaps?

EDIT: As for the attacks discovered, Dragon Rage was actually during the episode where Ash gained Charizard's trust, remember? It had the Poliwrath with a belt in it. Also, apparently Charizard had Dragonbreath and Overheat ahead of time. So I probably wouldn't say discovered. Used might be better.

Last edited:

Batdude

Old school
V Faction said:
As for the attacks discovered, Dragon Rage was actually during the episode where Ash gained Charizard's trust, remember? It had the Poliwrath with a belt in it. Also, apparently Charizard had Dragonbreath and Overheat ahead of time. So I probably wouldn't say discovered. Used might be better.
I thought the whole belt thing was the standard rage attack? When his tailflame grew massive? That's what the dub told us anyway.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
V Faction said:
Y'know, now that I think about it, Yamato, it may have been too little, too late for Torkoal even before this. I know that throughout the series, they've played up Overheat as Torkoal's very own attack, but that just flies off the bull**** meter. In actuality, Torkoal's exclusive attack is Heat Wave, as I'm sure most of you know. However, if we remember carefully, that attack was seen being used at the Hoenn League in the clutches of Charizard.

Now, when I said "Coatoise's signature technique", I was fully aware that several other Pokemon can learn Overheat, and I was aware of Heat Wave. I was just saying, the technique is (or was) unique to Coatoise as far as Satoshi's Pokemon goes.

And Almighty Zard, you were missing the point entirely. Also, since you mention it, someone else could stand to steal Fushigidane's thunder, take that guy down a few notches (probably not Juptle, but Bayleef could stand for some more power, especially when she can learn Solar Beam naturally).

V Faction

www.faction.com
Batdude said:
I thought the whole belt thing was the standard rage attack? When his tailflame grew massive? That's what the dub told us anyway.
Hmmm... Are you going by the episode guide by chance (sorry if you aren't, I just checked it)? I recall it being Dragon Rage. It was the attack used to destroy that drill vehicle of TR's. The Dragon Rage against Dragonite, as I can remember, was the finisher (with that climatic dragon taste to it).

V Faction

www.faction.com
Yamato-san said:
Now, when I said "Coatoise's signature technique", I was fully aware that several other Pokemon can learn Overheat, and I was aware of Heat Wave. I was just saying, the technique is (or was) unique to Coatoise as far as Satoshi's Pokemon goes.
As was I just saying. I share your sentiments and I thought it might have been a good topic to discuss.

Batdude

Old school
I could have sworn that Dexter just called it 'rage'. It was when his tail flame grew to be about as tall as him? I thought he only learned Dragon Rage when fighting Dragonite. And Oak went off explaining it.

Can anyone help out here? It has been a while since I saw it though. Maybe it's just wishful thinking or something.

Anyway, back on topic... Did TR say anything when they saw Charizard back?

Alfonso

Derpgull
Batdude is right, I believe. It was just Rage. If I recall correctly, the same thing happened in the Primeape episode... Charmander used Rage, and it's tail grew much bigger.