• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Symbol Life (413)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Symbol Life

It's the time of Ash's Battle and he decided to challenge Noland's Friend, Articuno to a battle with his Charizard. It is going to be the toughest battle Ash has ever had. Will he prevail and get his first Battle Frontier win and the Knowledge Symbol?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Fizban

Propaniacs
I really liked the way they had Ash flying around on Charizard at the start of this episode. Oddly enough, I thought the flashback of him discovering Charizard knew Overheat was a bit cheesy.

Weird animation aside, the battle was nice. I have no complaints about the way things went down.

May was right to say Articuno would be great to have in Pokemon Contests. The combination attack using Ice Beam and Water Pulse was really cool.

It looks like Scott advised Ash to head to the Battle Arena next.

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
I've already expressed my feelings towards the battle in the Speculation Thread.
But seeing the pics, Charizard leaves after Ash obtains the Knowledge Badge...*cough* I mean Symbol. Yeah...Symbol >.>
Two Words: THANK GOD!

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Defintely a good battle, best Seismic Toss i've ever seen, and at least it flamed Ash again before leaving.

Last edited:
I love Seismic Toss. I wish they would have some other Pokemon use it sometime. It just rocks. It is Ash's Charizard's signature move. That was Overheat? Cool! Much better than how Torkoal did it. And was that Dragonbreath Charizard used earlier? This battle could have been worse. I'm glad it is over with. It unfairly put the spotlight on an old Pokemon.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Infinite Master Sceptile said:
I love Seismic Toss. I wish they would have some other Pokemon use it sometime. It just rocks. It is Ash's Charizard's signature move. That was Overheat? Cool! Much better than how Torkoal did it. And was that Dragonbreath Charizard used earlier? This battle could have been worse. I'm glad it is over with. It unfairly put the spotlight on an old Pokemon.

i can think of a couple of times other pokemon have used it.
1.The fighting tournament in Kanto, Primeape and Machop used it.
2.Wobbapoolza or whatever it was called in Jouto, on of the three trainers Machoke used it.
3.Hoenn Brawly's Makuhita/Hariyama used it both times Ash fought him.

These are what i know but there could be more.

Kazuki Mirai

Knowledge Symbol huh? Well, he may got the Symbol but he don't have the brains. *Snickers* Anyways, that was a surprise there, Charizard knowing Overheat. Charizard seems to always end his battles with Seismic Toss. >>;;

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
isn't Dragonbreath an Egg Move for Charizard? But it never knew it had it even though it probably had it since birth.

I was hoping Charizard would use Heat Wave or Blast Burn. Those moves need to make debuts in the anime still, who better to do it than Charizard (especially for Blast Burn)?

poke_girl

The Amazing
Stop moaning about Charizard!
I'm glad it is over with. It unfairly put the spotlight on an old Pokemon.
It's not the Hoenn leage no more >_<; And what I get from the Frountear (spellin?) on Emerald, I think it's ment to be about ALL Pokémon, not just new ones.

Any way, Why where there words on it near the end? >_>

Last edited:
It's not the Hoenn leage no more >_<; And what I get from the Frountear (spellin?) on Emerald, I think it's ment to be about ALL Pokémon, not just new ones.

Old pokemon is good. But old overused pokemon like Charizard aren't.

I thought the symbols were supposed to be engraved, not given. So this is basically just like gym battles, gym badges and gym leaders. I have a feeling that the upcoming frontier facilities will be similar to this as well. So no pyramid climbing for the pyramid, no room choosing in the pike, and no commandless battles in the palace.

£añkaÑ

~Thîrûttû R⚢âl~
Well...i'm glad they won...i knew he'd win...just some 25% of worries..lol

bu they he won...and that's what matters :D

cool...so he is off the the battle arean...can wait :D

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
That was Overheat? I wasn't expecting that. Over all, it looks like it was a good episode, and Charizard still flamethrowers him when he leaves :). Man I never get tired of that.

Zabi

Not really here.
Great Episode, all thats bad is, that he already got the gold, he shoul've got Silver instead, but ohwell.

Furizaa

Flygon Prince said:
isn't Dragonbreath an Egg Move for Charizard? But it never knew it had it even though it probably had it since birth.
No. Actually there is no possible way Charizard could ever learn Dragonbreath...... So everyone stop saying it's Dragonbreath... XD However, Charizard /does/ learn Dragon Wave by leveling up.

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
I've seen the episode. The attack is Dragonbreath, just cuz charizard can't learn them in the games doesn't mean nothing in the anime. The games and the anime are completely different.
Two parts i really liked in the battle. The part where charizard stoped articuno's steel wing/wing attack man he looked real buff. lol.
The second part was the seismic toss i really liked the way they showed it.
Now its off to the battle arena.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Well, it's a pity that Charizard doesn't stay. But this clearly that we haven't seen him for the last time. Ash hasn't lost Charizard (and possibly, neither Squirtle), simply he's in a "waiting room" different to Oak's Labs. Surely, if Ash finds a similar challenge again, we will see Charizard once again to save the situation.

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
lol. I love the way Alfonso talks.lol. He has a nice way of putting words down.
Exactly what i'm saying alfonso the people are dumb, it was said last week when the preview for this episode came up that the attack was dragonbreath and now that the episode has aired it was said again yesterday that the attack was dragonbreath but these people just dont want to listen. dont get me wrong i like charizard but im glad it left i want ash's 6 slot to remain open for rotation hopefully that will happen.