• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Symbol Life (413)

Samayowa

you amaze me.
This was a pretty good episode. I think they could have made the battle a little bit better though.

chosen_one386

Angel of Chaos
1:Charizard is back!!!!!!! He rocks in my opinion as one of the only Pokemon that make the anime actually look a bit cooler than it actually is.
2:Writers of the anime, once again you really anger me (still getting over Team Magma and Aqua's disapperance)! The freakin' move should have been Blast Burn! I was really looking forward to it!!!!!!!!
3:Really great battle. I loved the animation and music.

Dreamcoat

Only crappy thing about this episode was, as said so many times before, the way Ash found out that Charizard had learned Overheat.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Again, short on time, so I'll be brief.

Pretty awesome battle. Seeing Articuno and Charizard really duke it out was pretty awesome. Great attacks, great battle. I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed it. Team Rocket was great too, and seeing them fall through the open arena roof was pretty funny.

Overall, 8/10.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Flygon Prince said:
The part where Charizard skims the wall while being chased by Ice Beam was awesome. This episode's animation was superb, imo.
The animation overall was quite horrible compared to the best Pokemon can offer. Charizard in particular was off-model in a number of scenes (appearing way too fat or with too short a tail). However the scene you mentioned was animated much better than most of the rest of the episode, if only the whole battle could have been that fast-paced and high-quality.

Faerie said:
First thing: Looks like I'm not the only one who though Rizaadon was going to use Blast Burn, hunh? I mean, it glowed RED. And Kootasu doesn't glow red when it uses Overheat, does it?
Actually it does, at times at least, but the animators like to focus on Torkoal's red shell areas glowing more than the body.

True, Blast Burn is a FR/LG move, but it IS Rizaadon's signature move. Of course, Satoshi HAD to make a honkin' huge deal of it because it's a cliffhanger thingamajigger yada yada yada, even though we've seen the move ten times before. Rizaadon's just special. :eek:[/QUOTE]
Well it did look like Charizard's Overheat was a good deal more powerful than Toprkoal's, but let's not split hairs.

Overall, as nice as the Overheat was I agree with the majority that it would have made much more sense to use Blast Burn. The reason being it is so unique and they wanted to emphasize how strong Ash's Charizard had become. Unless of course they plan to have it return again some day for an even more epic battle and use Blast Burn then.

lordrock said:
Yeah but he is a legendary pokemon the only time i saw articuno beaten was in the second pokemon movie and it took 2 pokemon to take him down moltres and zapdos so what's up with that?
This was NOT the same Articuno. It has been long known with some degree of certainty that The Orange Islands Guardian Articuno (along with Lugia and the other Legendary Birds) is a special Articuno. Other Articuno are smaller and not as powerful.

<><><>

Really, the Charizard/Ash interaction was one of the best parts of this episode, them flying together in the beginning was great as it was the first time they've had the chance to fly together for fun instead of danger or necessity.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pokemon Fan said:
Really, the Charizard/Ash interaction was one of the best parts of this episode, them flying together in the beginning was great as it was the first time they've had the chance to fly together for fun instead of danger or necessity.

And i hate to admit it but i do agree with what somebody said about missing Pidgeot while watching that scene. Almost makes you wonder why the couldn't have done something similar before they decided to ditch it.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
I'm actually pretty glad Charizard had learned Overheat rather than Blast Burn. Not just because that's what I thought it would learn, but also because Blast Burn should have a better introduction in the anime. Not to mention it doesn't make sense for Charizard to suddenly learn it (same thing for Overheat, but Blast Burn's a better attack, so... yeah).

Nice battle, of course. Two superpowers battling it out.

I gotta say, I didn't foresee Ash choosing to battle Articuno. I was thinking about Venusaur or something... which, BTW, was sort of ripped off. First appearance in a while and it doesn't even get to battle. All it did was take up half the screen. -_-

Anyway, Knowledge Symbol is earned. I do miss how Ash used to put his "badges" in his shirt, so he could show them off in style. But ever since he laid his jealous eyes on Gary's badge case filled with those ten Kanto badges in Viridian City, I guess he got hooked. :D

7/10.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Kamex said:
I'm actually pretty glad Charizard had learned Overheat rather than Blast Burn. Not just because that's what I thought it would learn, but also because Blast Burn should have a better introduction in the anime.
What could possibly be a better introduction than in a battle with a Legendary Pokemon?

Not to mention it doesn't make sense for Charizard to suddenly learn it (same thing for Overheat, but Blast Burn's a better attack, so... yeah).
Well according to the dub at least Charizard didn't "suddenly" learn it, at least that's the impression I got. Ash exclaimed something like "wow, you taught yourself that attack all by yourself?"

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Pokemon Fan said:
What could possibly be a better introduction than in a battle with a Legendary Pokemon?
Well, okay, it was amazing enough. But I mostly meant it wasn't a proper introduction for a special attack like that. Blast Burn was very unique in the games, so for a Pokemon to learn it just by trying hard is sort of lame to me.

Well according to the dub at least Charizard didn't "suddenly" learn it, at least that's the impression I got. Ash exclaimed something like "wow, you taught yourself that attack all by yourself?"
Yeah, you're right. But ditto to my last paragraph. :)

Ryano Ra

Verdant Vitality
Oh, my. o.o;;

Charizard really surprised me in this episode. First, he learns Dragonbreath (one of my favorite moves), second, he learns how to use Overheat. Third, he used such a magnificently powerful Seismic Toss and finished that Articuno off. Fourth, he defeated a legendary and make one of the strongest comebacks I've ever seen thus far in the entire eight seasons of Pokemon. I really wished that Charizard could stay for awhile with Ash, but it is a wonder to see how strong he is getting staying at the Charisific Valley with Eliza.

Though, Articuno exceeded my expectations. Using Water Pulse and Steel Wing was a good combination, and Articuno lives up to the elite powers of the legendary birds. So, all in all, I feel as though this was one intense battle.

Pokemonger49777

IT'S ASHER JESUS!!!
Okay, I thought the name of this episode was "Numero Uno Articuno". And I thought Ash was supposed to use a rental pokemon like in the game. Also what pestered me was Ash's flashback with Charizard's new move. I thought it would be Blast Burn not Overheat. That irked me.

Battra

What an Epic battle between Charizard and Articuno, it's nice to see Ash win his first Frontier Symbol.

The fight was really cool. I thought it was cool for Charizard to learn Overheat and I thought the battle was pretty intense. I wish Charizard's battle with Brandon's Dusclops could have been like this one.