• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Synchronicity Test! (919)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'd take the worst parts of this episodes over the train wreck of XYZ23.

Let me say that the pacing in this episode was much better. Less battles were crammed into this small time slot in favor of actual interaction among the characters. My only problem is that Clemont waited till now to so much as study Ash-Greninja and the transition between Ash fainting was practically a jump cut.

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
That was a fun battle much better than their first one too bad we didn't get an actual winner though.

Master_Tyrell

I'd take the worst parts of this episodes over the train wreck of XYZ23.

Let me say that the pacing in this episode was much better. Less battles were crammed into this small time slot in favor of actual interaction among the characters. My only problem is that Clemont waited till now to so much as study Ash-Greninja and the transition between Ash fainting was practically a jump cut.

While I agree, I think the fact he had those devices prepared alludes to him having thought of a way to study it more. Not that that is the best way to do it, seeing him think about it and work on preparing a device for it would've been a nice episode and a good focus episode for him.

Mike999246

I'm taking it the Mini-Clembot will now be around with the group for around the next 7 or so episodes, I feel like it'll be kept so Clemont can keep doing research during the other 3 of Ash and Greninjas "major battles" and then when they're so so so close to figuring it all out, it'll blow up.

XYZ032 (Charizard I think) will probably be Ash and Alain's 3rd battle, hopefully with Greninja winning (it done amazing in this battle btw!)

Also, one last thing, Greninja leaving Ash in the dream is probably foreshadowing Greninja leaving Ash for a bit, NOT a depression arc, what I think will happen is it'll go on a losing streak during its 4 major battles, or something will happen to Ash during each of these 4 battles (also the fact that Avalugg and Abomasnow are stared in the upcoming episodes suggests Ash may faint again during their first battle against Wulfric), and Greninja will leave Ash not to protect him but to train, I feel like it'll go to the Ninja Village by itself and train there with the leader Guy, hopefully Ash will realise Greninja went there and when he arrives there him and Greninja will battle against the Village master and his Greninja and win

Vincentium

Beyond Evolution
That was an awesome episode! I just could not believe that Ash-Greninja can put up with Mega Charizard X by this much already in its un-mastered form. Seriously, what is going to stop this thing when it comes to conference aside from other potential Mega Evolution trainers?

Franckie

This is one of the better episodes we've had for a while now. Ash and Alain are slowly building up a respectful, healthy rivalry with each other. Ash-Greninja did better this round too, but the downside to its power (Ash receiving damage) is making it nigh-impossible for Ash's Greninja to win against Alain's Charizard. Either mastering mega evolution rids Ash-Greninja of this weakness or some alternate method is introduced because Ash doesn't stand a chance against Alain, Diantha, or any high-level trainer for that matter with that peculiar Achilles's heel.

CupidKirby

So is Ash giving telepathic commands a thing now? RIP Ash.

Great episode! Pretty much everything that I was hoping for happened: some nice friendship developing between Alain and Ash, a good showing on Greninja's part so it's not just a repeat of the last match, amazing animation, and Shota not appearing outside a backwards reflection of a video (videoception). The addition surprises such as Luxray and Ash's bit of angst was wonderful as well. I hope we'll see more of that kind of spotlight in the future.

+ 5 points for no team rocket

Maybe it was just me, but Alain looked wistful at the end there. It almost seemed like now that Manon's Chespin is getting better, he really does want to participate in the Kalos League (or at least, battle with Ash again). The way they purposely showed him getting really excited and happy during the fight contributed to this. Plus Noivern losing to Metang sounds like a delicious set up for a Noivern vs Metagross league match.

Torterraaaa

Awesome ep. Don't have much more to add that others haven't said, really. It's nice to see some drama in Pokemon.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
By the way, what were the flashbacks of Olympia about? Don't understand Japanese.

It was from the pre-Anistar Gym battle episode where she first mentioned to them about the Ash-Greninja form (not by name, though, she was talking about how they would reach new heights of power, etc.)

-------

Excellent episode all round, battles were solid and it's good to see Clemont being relevant. Splash of drama thrown in with Ash going RIP in memes.

Was interesting that Ash and Greninja didn't even come close to transforming vs Luxray. Can easily be explained by the fact there wasn't any emotion (for lack of a better word) in the battle. He wasn't battling to protect someone (XYZ007 and 009), nor was he battling a rival like Sawyer or Alain. Probably would've happened if it was the Lumiose Gym where something was on the line, but here they were just doing it to do it, really. I love that animation when Luxray uses Electric Terrain. One problem I had with Clemont was how he got that footage of Ash-Greninja, lol. But the intention was more for it being flashbacks for the viewer's sake.

Alain says he has "more" than Charizard, presumably that means not just one other 'mon (Metang), which is expected. Was great seeing him get excited over battling Ash-Greninja, he was definitely more than a match for Charizard this time around. His response to the Kalos League was also obvious as he clearly has other priorities right now than to collect badges, but at least they brought the idea up with him in mind. Whether that amounts to something remains to be seen, but he'd be a worthy opponent for Ash at the pointy end of the League in my opinion. More than Sawyer tbh, by quite a margin.

I was pleased with Noivern's performance in it's first official battle. Moveset needs work obviously, whether it be Flamethrower or Dragon Pulse (these two make the most sense in my opinion). I'm pretty sure Acrobatics has replaced Tackle because they do literally the same thing, unlike Boomburst and Supersonic, so the fourth move slot is open in my eyes. Noivern ultimately lost because it didn't quite have the strength to keep going, although from what someone said earlier Alain mentioned it could've won if they went any longer. By the way, was the reason Ash chose Noivern over Pikachu because he wanted to give it some battle experience? I thought I heard him mention that when Pikachu got mad at him (also lol at Pikachu's reaction "WTF man I'd beat his ***!"). The Greninja vs Charizard battle was great, much more interesting than the first one where Greninja just got his **** pushed in. They were actually able to show their true strength. The way he blocked that Flamethrower was awesome, loved the way they used the Cut swords. Greninja got some really good hits in, none more so than the spinning double Cut at the end, which I can imagine him saying "this is for that Blast Burn, *****" when he goes for it. :p It actually knocked Charizard down a bit. Then Ash faints because he becomes unsynchronised with Greninja, although I'm not sure if that was because of damage taken from Dragon Claw (speaking of which it was nice seeing them use the heightened senses to dodge T-Punch and notice the D-Claw) or whether the fact they don't have full control yet makes it unstable after time. His dream/nightmare was interesting, I guess it may just be his inner doubts that they can master it, or his fear that Greninja may leave him for it, as others have said.

As for Mairin, I don't think it was fake IF she was saying what I guessed she was saying (which I don't really know what she said as I know minimal Japanese - most of it learned from this show, haha). I see it as genuine if she was messaging Alain because she was told he was working hard to help out Chespie, so she was just giving him encouragement or something like that. I don't think it was forced, really.

No TR in this episode was a great decision, they would've been so unnecessary, this can't be denied. Maybe they compensated for how long their freaking motto took last week (was a good 2 minutes of a 20 minute episode JUST on that).

Master_Tyrell

DS0208 brings up some nice points. I agree that it was nice to see Alan get truly excited during a battle. He's usually so straight-faced, so seeing him get so pumped up was a major plus for me; gave a few points to his character I think.

I question whether or not the mastered form will be able to be used at anytime or if it absolutely has to be in dire situations.

I'm guessing they'll find a way to synchronize their emotions in a fast way to access it quickly. It would certainly be a bit disadvantageous if Mega users can boost their power when they want but Ash needs to wait until he gets a bit of a stomping before receiving his boost. Unless they leave it as that as a way to balance out the huge power boost it might get once it uses the Water Blades and the huge Water Shuriken.

Master_Tyrell

Yeah, probably something like that. Though whenever Greninja gets that power boost, he seems to almost fully heal himself (though hard to tell with the massive water torrent), so maybe the only concern is powering up before Greninja faints.

That's always a possibility. I feel they would go finding a quick way to access the form, though. It seems to be what the plot is building up to, Ash and Greninja synchronizing their emotions to a greater level. It certainly seems to be what they would work on now.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm actually really happy about this episode.

*It was awesome seeing Luxray get a decent battle for once and NO Swift <3!!!
*Thankfully Noivern lost as it would be ridiculous for him to beat Alain of all people with literally ZERO experience. One hit on a legendary=/=experience.
*Double Team was FINALLY used correctly(kind of)
*Alain confirmed he has other pokemon besides Charizard and Metang(I think??)
*Greninja didn't get pwned this time and actually managed to get some hits.
*Alain FINALLY showed some emotion and remorse and smiled and was happy

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Since when did when people start complaining about Luxray using Swift a lot? I can't even remember a lot of times Luxray used that move to be honest.

Anyway this was indeed a step-up from the last Ash vs Alain fight imo. I for once was actually able to like Alain since he had some better emotional presence (I don't dislike him but I have always personally found him a bit dull) and the Greninja vs Mega Charizard X battle was cool too.

Yzma

Alain is allways cool, I enjoyed this episode.
But I wish TR was there in the background doing their own thing or something

I found my favorite episode of the XY&Z series, finally.

Clemont being relevant to the plot and having a battle was a great start, I wish it wasn't called off. Also, not having Team Rocket around instantly makes this episode a lot more entertaining.

I find it interesting to see Alain interacting with the main cast; the moment he got excited during the match is one of my favorite things in the entire episode. Human emotions, yesh!

Once again, the music used when Charizard Mega-Evolved and fought Greninja was freaking epic, I need to know its name as much as a patient with diabetes needs insulin.

Watching Noivern in action reminds me why that's my favorite 6th generation Pokemon in terms of design. I'm not sad that he lost due to Ash not spamming Boomburst enough thought, the animation for Metal Claw looks really awesome, Metang deserved to win just for that.

Greninja vs M-Charizard X R2 is probably one of the best battles I've seen in the anime, if not the best. XY&Z truly is the best insert song so far, the animation was amazing and Aerial Ace still holds the title of the coolest move in the anime. Is nice to see that Alain kept Charizard in his regular form for a longer time, I wanted to see him use thunderpunch in that state, maybe he can only use it when he Mega-Evolves?

Greninja doing a much better job against Charizard to the point he cornered him made me glad, I guess that cutting those crappy Electro Balls really did pay off.

The episode could have been perfect if only Alain suggested Ash: "Bro, replace Cut with Night Slash. Seriously."

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
does it really matter? Night Slash is just Cut with a purple coloration.

and please don't say that it's "stronger" cause by that logic, Greninja should've kept Water Pulse over Water Shuriken.

Last edited:

i2i

Big Bad Wolf

and please don't say that it's "stronger" cause by that logic, Greninja should've kept Water Pulse over Water Shuriken.

But Night Slash is a Dark type and Greninja should have move for his second type.

I think it does matter, even if Cut keeps looking more appealing every episode that passes, it's a normal type move. Night Slash gives actual coverage and STAB. This is the reason why I forget that Greninja is a Water/Dark type, due to the lack of presence of the latter one in the anime.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
STAB doesn't matter much in the anime. Dual-type Pokemon don't necessarily show-off STAB moves for both their types (can't say I remember Torterra or Gliscor, for example, doing this). Again, it's just Purple Cut, it makes no difference.

AND THE AWARD FOR THE FIRST PERSON TO SAY THAT THEY WISH TEAM ROCKET WAS AROUND GOES TO...

I kind of agree honestly, but just as long as they didn't interrupt the battle. Maybe if they had decided to go after Team Flare to steal their Squishy since stealing Satoshi and co.'s Squishy wasn't working. Team Flare kinda stole it from them anyway. XD

It would still be the end result of TR being in the episode and taking time away from developing concepts and the plot. There's nothing I can think of from this episode that I would consider taking out, all of it was essential.