• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Synchronicity Test! (919)

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
I like Pikachu, but it is nice to see Ash chose other Pokémon.

hottom3rd

The one question I guess I still have is why he actually passed out. In my mind it would be sheer shared pain battle exposure. Whether or not I hypothesize correctly.. idk

Greninja KO-ed that mega zard from the looks of it though..

Max1996

The one question I guess I still have is why he actually passed out. In my mind it would be sheer shared pain battle exposure. Whether or not I hypothesize correctly.. idk

Greninja KO-ed that mega zard from the looks of it though..

No, he didn't. When Ash fainted, Charizard was still standing.

Ash The Boy

I was worried if Team Rocket would ruin the battle, fortunately not!

I think Alan saw how fun is the League and probably will collect badges to compete in the League, I hope it!

dman_dustin

No, he didn't. When Ash fainted, Charizard was still standing.

It's hard to tell.

Charizard was down (READ: not fainted) when Greninja used cut. Then the problems with Ash occurred resulting in him passing out.

I would assume that even though Charizard may not have qualified as "knocked out" that had the battle continued based on Alain's reactions that Ash Greninja could've beaten Mega Charizard X if Alain somehow didn't get the upperhand.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
It's hard to tell.

Charizard was down (READ: not fainted) when Greninja used cut. Then the problems with Ash occurred resulting in him passing out.

I would assume that even though Charizard may not have qualified as "knocked out" that had the battle continued based on Alain's reactions that Ash Greninja could've beaten Mega Charizard X if Alain somehow didn't get the upperhand.

Yeah, some could almost argue that Charizard was out for as long as Noivern was until he quickly opened his eyes though!

But I don't think Charizard fainted, it just seemed like he took a good hit imo. The day Ash-Greninja Ko's him though... ugh heaven it'll be

Gojira97

Greninja Hype!!!

This is one of the best episodes of XYZ I have ever seen!!! The main reason why I liked the episode so much is because my two favorite Pokemon duke it out! Charizard and Greninja!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode! The battles between Noivern with Metang and Greninja with Charizard were all very entertaining. Really great to see Alain being excited for the battle against Ash with Greninja.

And thus begins Alain's quest to obtain the eight badges to compete in the Kalos League to have another chance at battling against Ash.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Alain seems to have a thing for people's wrists because that thing was too small for him to notice.

*Supersonic hits! Metang is not confused* No, that's not how Clear Body works...

...Greninja was schooling M-Zard X in base form? Uh, yeah, sure. He just struck twice without leaving enough damage and then became living bait before and after that. I think people were just overestimating those attacks.

And does Greninja know nothing but Cut for a deadly move? Give it Night Slash already.

Alain is getting so excited in that one battle! Now I know why he has a terrible choice for pants! (Think about it).

Oh, that's too bad that Alain has no interest in the league and has no badges. It'd be really implausible if he suddenly happened to collect 8 in the next few episodes.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
*Supersonic hits! Metang is not confused* No, that's not how Clear Body works...
Good thing they didn't say that's what happened. One could assume Metang just managed to break through confusion and then snapped out of it.

...Greninja was schooling M-Zard X in base form? Uh, yeah, sure. He just struck twice without leaving enough damage and then became living bait before and after that. I think people were just overestimating those attacks.
Did they ever say that? It only looked like Charizard decided Greninja was worth mega evolving against and Alain agreed.

And does Greninja know nothing but Cut for a deadly move? Give it Night Slash already.
Cut is clearly a powerful move in the anime compared to the games. And as we've seen, Night Slash looks basically the same, it would just be a different color. In most battles it would make no difference as STAB doesn't seem to exist in the anime.

Oh, that's too bad that Alain has no interest in the league and has no badges. It'd be really implausible if he suddenly happened to collect 8 in the next few episodes.
Or perhaps he takes to heart Ash noting that the league will be full of powerful trainers, then takes an unknown (if relatively short thanks to his power and being able to fly) amount of time collecting badges. ^_^

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Or perhaps he takes to heart Ash noting that the league will be full of powerful trainers, then takes an unknown (if relatively short thanks to his power and being able to fly) amount of time collecting badges. ^_^

That's a relatively plausible assumption, I wonder whether that happens. :]

When I heard Noivern's voice had changed in the dub I couldn't help but yell NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (Do it like Darth Vader did and it's pretty accurate to my emotions) They got me excited because they kept his Japanese voice in the evolution episode, but then they won't NOPE. Now he just sounds like a bigger Noibat... I'm sad. :( Alain was less awkward in the dub this time compared to XYZ013. BGM seemed almost entirely changed apart from the Noivern vs Metang music, which is just the standard VS Trainer piece anyway. I actually liked the use of the instrumental Stand Tall for Ash-Greninja VS Mega Charizard.

"Gotta get stronger" - wannabe Sonic looking ***.

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
Was nice to watch this eppy again and enjoyed the battle between Ash- Greninja and Mega Charizard X once again.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I really enjoyed the bits of personality and investment we got from Charizard and Greninja in this, whether it be how Greninja was stretching to warm up before the battle, how Charizard told Alain it wanted to mega evolve, or the sheer blood-knight excitement Charizard X showed once the battle got really heated (that look when it came in with the double Dragon Claw was outright bloodthirsty).

On another note on what Alain may do next, let's not forget that his mission is to collect Mega Evolution energy, and there are few places one can be guaranteed to locate multiple Megas.

This was a decent episode, though I did enjoy the battle between Ash and Alain.

Pikachu52

For an episode that seems s important to the plot, very little happened. Most of the episode is taken up by the two battles and all we learn about Ash-greninja is from Clemont's experiments. Is it is the first time we see Ash suffer ill effects from the form, thought I thought the point of the Ash-Greninja was Ash felt Greninja's pain, the dub has referred to it Ash feeling paralysed. It also more or less confirms Alain is one of Team Flare - he was speaking to a Flare grunt on the phone rather than to Lysandre directly so he must be aware of their collective identity and Lysander's involvement. It also confirms Alain does have more Pokémon than simply Charizard - That shouldn't be a surprise as his entrance in the league has been confirmed.

We got an interesting further insight into Alain's character - Charizard asking to mega evolve and then talking to Alain about the battle afterwards were good demonstration that at least at heart he is a compassionate person. The video from Marin telling him that Chespie's have moved in it's coma was also heartwarming and serves as a reminder that he genuinely does care for her - even though her pain is more or less his fault. While that doesn't exonerate him from his actions it will create more empathy for him in the eyes of the viewer. One thing I did find interesting is that he again uses the line "protect our loved ones" when he talks about getting stronger. He did this in Mega Evolution special IV as well - Does he mean Marin or is he protecting someone else.

One thing that did stand out in this episode was Noivern's rather fast development - I think this may be Noivern's first fight since it evolved from Noibat and it wasn't exactly strong or experienced as a Noibat. Yet suddenly it's able to go head to head with a Metang whom it's at a disadvantage against and has no effective moves against and even though it lost, still caused Alain to make the comment that if the battle had been longer it would have won. That's a very fast level up to the point of being almost Over powered. This is the same Pokémon that couldn't even fly despite being a flying type only about half a season or so ago.

Pikachu was cute in this episode too asking to battle - It's a shame they've sidelined Pikachu. He hasn't had a serious battle since Clemont at the Lumiose gym, which is a shame considering he was the star of three gym battles in the first series. I hope he gets to shine in the league - though I've got a feeling Greninja will hog the spotlight.

7/10

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Did anyone else feel like the voice acting feel stilted? As in, more so than usual. It made Ash fainting go from dramatic to utterly hilarious.

And really Alain? You've never seen such raw power? Even from those gods you recently fought? You know, the ones that control the land and sea.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Did anyone else feel like the voice acting feel stilted? As in, more so than usual. It made Ash fainting go from dramatic to utterly hilarious.

And really Alain? You've never seen such raw power? Even from those gods you recently fought? You know, the ones that control the land and sea.

If anything, I felt Alain was hammier than usual. "Yes! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!" Okay, Alain, you can tone it down on the ham, thank you very much.

At least it was nice to hear Greninja actually do something in English. Wasn't as bad as I thought after getting used to hearing Gekkouga for so long. Noivern on the other hand...I just don't understand that.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

He probably doesn't feel the need to say about his secret ops missions to the public who shouldn't normally know.

Just like Ash whenever he says a legendary's name he met before.

If anything, I felt Alain was hammier than usual. "Yes! THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!" Okay, Alain, you can tone it down on the ham, thank you very much.

I'd say something that Alain gets (censored word) multiple times because it just looks wrong coming from an older guy.