• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Team Flare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but I was wandering around Kalos talking to random NPCs.
A girl in Anistar mentions that before Team Flare showed up, there was another group of people searching for the version specific legendary.

What are your thoughts?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but I was wandering around Kalos talking to random NPCs.
A girl in Anistar mentions that before Team Flare showed up, there was another group of people searching for the version specific legendary.

What are your thoughts?

I remember that girl. It doesn't seem like a far stretch to say that this NPC is alluding to a future game(s) in the same fashion as B2/W2, maybe actually with a totally new team around. Team Flare probably has nothing to do with what she's talking about. Seeing as the player character catches the version legendary, this could prompt a response from said group to try something new.

Another thought is that this group would end up being a group in whatever region the Backpacker who gives the Strange Souvenir talks about. I could see them trying a new region right away (and I'm applying the logic Marriland used in a video about the topic of future games), but at the same time, I can't see them leaving Zygarde out, especially with its poor BST for a legendary that has a clear connection with Xerneas/Yveltal.

This is all speculation, though, so it's kind of a shot in the dark.

diakyu

What are your thoughts?
What if they found the Legendary opposite of the version you're playing? I could see them set up as the sequel team if we have sequels of course. In X2 you would face a team with Yveltal and in Y2 they would have Xerneas. Throw Zygarde in and a new region and BAAM, sequel.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
What if they found the Legendary opposite of the version you're playing? I could see them set up as the sequel team if we have sequels of course. In X2 you would face a team with Yveltal and in Y2 they would have Xerneas. Throw Zygarde in and a new region and BAAM, sequel.

Eh, it worked for BW2.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Eh, it worked for BW2.

Minus the new region of course, it was just a massive facelift for the region.

Back on topic: Team Flare was incredibly weak and non-threatening. Worst crime syndicate in a Pokémon game yet I feel!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Gotta say, I liked the ending to the Team Flare plot, it reminded me of Fullmetal Alchemist and WWII (and since this region is France, I have a feeling that's what they might've been alluding to), I wouldn't have expected the plot to get that dark. Most of the rest of the plot, though, was really boring, Team Flare doesn't really do much until the Power Plant incident and even then, most of their actions were generic evil team stuff.

As for future games, I agree that we're probably going to see a new team in a new region that relates to this game's plot, and will probably go after Zygarde.

orochi

Team Flare was the best XD

Team rocket: Lets use pokemon to benefit our company buy stealing them and then selling them!
Team aqua/magma:Lets expand the sea/land! I hate you! No I hate you! Water rules! Land is superior!
Team galactic: Lets make the three legendary pokemon make an entirely new world for us!...Why not just go after Arceus? I mean he made the worlds in the first place :/
Team Plazma: Pokemon and humans don't mix. Lets make pokemon and people separate regardless of whether or not they want to be together. Team Plazma knows best.

Team Flare: I hate everyone...lets just kill them all. Yveltal! suck the life force out of everyone but team flare cuz we stylish as fuc*!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I was surprised to find out that Malva is a Team Flare admin (I probably should've seen it coming, but I was too focused on plowing through the Elite 4 so I could do Friend Safari stuff so I wasn't really paying attention to the dialogue and I was completely taken aback when she revealed it during the Looker Bureau subplot). If the next game takes place in Kalos, I'd like to see her have more relevance in the storyline. It would be neat especially in XY2 if you go to challenge the Pokemon League and you're forced to fight her first for some reason (maybe all of the other doors are locked or something) and walk into an ambush. And then more plot happens so you have to leave to stop Team Flare and then come back and rechallenge the Elite 4 (most likely with someone else replacing Malva).

Heck, if Lysandre doesn't come back, they could probably make her the new leader of Team Flare, giving us our first female evil team boss.

Last edited:
I was surprised to find out that Malva is a Team Flare admin (I probably should've seen it coming, but I was too focused on plowing through the Elite 4 so I could do Friend Safari stuff so I wasn't really paying attention to the dialogue and I was completely taken aback when she revealed it during the Looker Bureau subplot). If the next game takes place in Kalos, I'd like to see her have more relevance in the storyline. It would be neat especially in XY2 if you go to challenge the Pokemon League and you're forced to fight her first for some reason (maybe all of the other doors are locked or something) and walk into an ambush. And then more plot happens so you have to leave to stop Team Flare and then come back and rechallenge the Elite 4 (most likely with someone else replacing Malva).

Heck, if Lysandre doesn't come back, they could probably make her the new leader of Team Flare, giving us our first female evil team boss.

Its actually funny how it took me to realise she was actually in team flare. I usually skip dialogue that I deem as irrelevant. I also agree that she would be a good team flare leader for the next games but I would definitely prefer Lysandre coming back, I love the way he reminds me of Wolverine! No only joking but i can see him finding some reason to go after Zygarde

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Team Flare was the best XD

Team rocket: Lets use pokemon to benefit our company buy stealing them and then selling them!
Team aqua/magma:Lets expand the sea/land! I hate you! No I hate you! Water rules! Land is superior!
Team galactic: Lets make the three legendary pokemon make an entirely new world for us!...Why not just go after Arceus? I mean he made the worlds in the first place :/
Team Plazma: Pokemon and humans don't mix. Lets make pokemon and people separate regardless of whether or not they want to be together. Team Plazma knows best.

Team Flare: I hate everyone...lets just kill them all. Yveltal! suck the life force out of everyone but team flare cuz we stylish as fuc*!

Team Flare did not particularly hate anybody, they tried to get rid of us so as to temporarily halt a big problem that exists in our society too; limited resources.

orochi

Team Flare did not particularly hate anybody, they tried to get rid of us so as to temporarily halt a big problem that exists in our society too; limited resources.

Relax relax, it was a joke XD I know team flare didn't really hate everyone. Lysander kept repeating that he wanted a "more beautiful world." But unfortunately, his defense was that the world is over populated with tainted people and pokemon, and thus the only option is to get rid of them. And that resources were limited. I believe I remember that his past uncle was the king who created the giant weapon to get revenge on humanity for the war (and to bring back his beloved pokemon) This giving him more of a motive. Kinda like "it's my destiny" At least that's how I saw it.

I kinda wonder what happened to Lysander after all that. I wasn't really paying attention to he end ^^' Did he die, run away, become immortal like the king?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Relax relax, it was a joke XD I know team flare didn't really hate everyone. Lysander kept repeating that he wanted a "more beautiful world." But unfortunately, his defense was that the world is over populated with tainted people and pokemon, and thus the only option is to get rid of them. And that resources were limited. I believe I remember that his past uncle was the king who created the giant weapon to get revenge on humanity for the war (and to bring back his beloved pokemon) This giving him more of a motive. Kinda like "it's my destiny" At least that's how I saw it.

I kinda wonder what happened to Lysander after all that. I wasn't really paying attention to he end ^^' Did he die, run away, become immortal like the king?

Well, actually, that king is AZ, and the weapon was created 3000 years ago, so it's probably not his uncle.
He is the decendant of AZ's Beother, though.

Well, Lysandre/his diary said tha the beautifull world was a byproduct of his limited resources research, and that by bypassing the resource problem, the world would also become beautifull, making it more of a pipe-dream than his actual goal.

Nobody knows what became of Lysandre, due to the different implications, uses, and effects the weapon has dependng on the Version, and because nobody knows if he stayed, fled, or whatever.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I honestly hope he exploded with the ultimate weapon.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well, actually, that king is AZ, and the weapon was created 3000 years ago, so it's probably not his uncle.
He is the decendant of AZ's Beother, though.

Technically, that does make AZ a distant uncle of Lysandre (a great great great great ... great uncle).

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
I think Team Flare and Lysandre are a bit like Marmite, you love them or hate them. I see a lot of hate, but I also see a lot of admiration at a team that was different.
I love them, Lysandre is my favourite character (Well, one of them), so I may be a bit biased but do correct me in the following. (It is very long keep in mind, sorry but I have thoroughly analysed my own theory. Keep in mind this is MY THEORY, it may be different to yours and it is not canon, I have no proof but quotes and interpretations, I am NOT trying to make you think a certain way, you decide that yourself.

Is Lysandre and team flare really evil?
For Team Flare some of the grunts just want to be noticed and liked so join the group, some are quite bad, some see it as a game and a bit of fun.

But my main man is Lysandre, I do not believe he is evil, not pure at least. For many reasons.
One being is how people misunderstand when he says 'Make a beautiful world' he isn't referring to visual beauty, but how the world has become with wars making the world 'hideous'.
Now, keep in mind he is the descendant of the kings who watched Kalos get torn apart by war. Lysandre believed war was caused over lack of resources, in his mind he believed it was his 'destiny' as a descendant of the kings to stop any future wars making the world hideous.
Now, in every Pokemon game destiny has played a huge part, as the main character it's YOUR destiny to stop the evil Teams and become the champion, you have no choice, if you want to join the Team or not, I saw this in Pokemon Black and White especially where you had to go against N, even if you agreed with him.

In Pokemon X and Y Lysandre stressed it was your destiny to stop him, so he let you press one of the buttons to power up the ultimate weapon or turn it off. If you chose correctly Xeorsic will then start it up despite your actions. Lysandre later responds along the lines of saying it's the way things happen. I do believe in a later game the main theme will be destiny as it is more and more being stressed in the games.
And Lysandre didn't just want the rich to join, but people who would be dedicated, which is why there was such a high fee, also in a new world, you need money for an economy, he also needed funds for research as Lysandre labs did create the holo caster.

So, people argue as to as to why did Lysandre try and kill all the pokemon? Well, here's a quote "Pokémon... Shall no longer exist. Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!" This is said just after you see him cry, he doesn't want to kill the Pokemon, it burns him up (tee hee, pun) but to stop them being used in wars, he decides killing them will stop any further suffering where as N believed freeing them from humans will stop suffering. This is why he also tries mass genocide, to stop future wars wreaking the world. I also do not believe he wanted to kill everyone, but that's why he started Team flare, so some people are spared. When he makes his announcement on the holo caster he apologizes to anyone who isn't in Team Flare, I believe he feels sorry for everyone.

Finally I come to the point as to if he is pure evil, is something the Professor said, Lysandre, the champion and the professor were all childhood friends, and before the professor tells you at couriway town he says this
"I have to apologize to you about Lysandre... I'm very sorry for the trouble he caused..."
"And I'd also like to thank you! I'm sincerely grateful for what you did for all of the Pokémon and people of this world. And by stopping Team Flare, you also saved Lysandre. I always knew that he desired a beautiful world..."
"But what I really wanted was for him to put his ego aside and lead everything to greater heights. I never had this discussion with him, though. So I'm partially responsible for this."
So, the professor is basically saying he had good in him and if he did wipe the slate clean as he'd say, Lysandre wouldn't have destroyed himself knowing what he's done, so you have saved him. But the fact he was also a childhood friend and said he never tried to stop him explains Lysandre's later out-burst, after going through his entire life trying to reach his goal and when he's finally close to it you and your friends show him the light, he goes mad and can't accept that he's wasted his life because he was never stopped, to him he is right and he must deny you that you are right.

So, that is why I do not believe he is evil, he is just corrupted. But this is purely what I see him as, like I said, I love Lysandre's character. This is just my theory, Gamefreak never specified if he was pure evil, they left it up to the player to try and work out.

But what of Lysandre's fate? Well, everyone has some theory as to what they think happened to him. Some believe he escaped from the rocks falling in, some believe he killed himself and some believe he gave himself and the player and the player's friends eternal life. I can clear up why people are so mixed.

Version differences. I played Pokemon Y, in it I believed he tried to kill us and got kinda worried if he ever made it out, but no one said he and Team Flare died down there. My friend however had Pokemon X, she said he said that we'd have to suffer watching the world turn for the worst/ugly with eternal life and then fired the ultimate weapon. I was a little confused before I stumbled across some Lysandre quotes.
Before firing the ultimate weapon he says this, but different in both versions.
"<player>, Sycamore's pupils... Let us live forever... That's right! I shall grant you eternal life! I'll give you the pain of endlessly waiting for a beautiful world to finally be built!" - Pokemon X
"The ultimate weapon is a flower that bloomed to no avail... Just like me... But this ends here! I will show what its remaining power can do!" - Pokemon Y.
So I personally think that in Y he either escapes with you and runs away or he dies.
In X I think he either gives you all eternal life and himself or he escapes with you and runs away.
The only way we'll ever know of his fate is if a sequel or something of Pokemon X and Y is made, I think something like X and Y 2 would be more likely with a larger version differences. Different teams, in X I believe Lysandre would have lived, he may have changed his ways, he may not have. In Y a completely different team could occur as Team flare is no more, it could be lead my Malva it may be something I don't know.
But bare in mind this is just MY speculation I have no proof but theories. Other people will have different ones but no main Pokemon game has even been announced yet, there may not even be another game in Kalos until a remake maaaaannnny years in the future.

Might I add I also reject the idea (personally, I am not saying your wrong) Lysandre is based on Hitler. For the following reasons:
-The holo caster comes from the word 'hologram' as one appears as it 'casts' one out in front of the player. I do not think it has any relevance to the word 'holocaust'
- Anyone can join Team flare with a fee, Lysandre didn't kill certain people.
- Team Flare are not trying to take over the world.
- Lysandre didn't kill himself like Hitler did, no one knows of his fate exactly, what happened could be purely an accident.
- Kalos is based on France and the past wars France used to have, France did not just have wars with Germany, it had wars with Britain too and Spain, which is why Kalos is said to be caught in the middle of wars 3000 years ago. And Hitler rose to power in Germany, not France.

Hiss13

Psychic Lover
Well, Lysandre/his diary said tha the beautifull world was a byproduct of his limited resources research, and that by bypassing the resource problem, the world would also become beautifull, making it more of a pipe-dream than his actual goal.

Where did you find his diary?

I think Team Flare and Lysandre are a bit like Marmite, you love them or hate them. I see a lot of hate, but I also see a lot of admiration at a team that was different.
I love them, Lysandre is my favourite character (Well, one of them), so I may be a bit biased but do correct me in the following. (It is very long keep in mind, sorry but I have thoroughly analysed my own theory. Keep in mind this is MY THEORY, it may be different to yours and it is not canon, I have no proof but quotes and interpretations, I am NOT trying to make you think a certain way, you decide that yourself.

Is Lysandre and team flare really evil?
For Team Flare some of the grunts just want to be noticed and liked so join the group, some are quite bad, some see it as a game and a bit of fun.

But my main man is Lysandre, I do not believe he is evil, not pure at least. For many reasons.
One being is how people misunderstand when he says 'Make a beautiful world' he isn't referring to visual beauty, but how the world has become with wars making the world 'hideous'.
Now, keep in mind he is the descendant of the kings who watched Kalos get torn apart by war. Lysandre believed war was caused over lack of resources, in his mind he believed it was his 'destiny' as a descendant of the kings to stop any future wars making the world hideous.
Now, in every Pokemon game destiny has played a huge part, as the main character it's YOUR destiny to stop the evil Teams and become the champion, you have no choice, if you want to join the Team or not, I saw this in Pokemon Black and White especially where you had to go against N, even if you agreed with him.

In Pokemon X and Y Lysandre stressed it was your destiny to stop him, so he let you press one of the buttons to power up the ultimate weapon or turn it off. If you chose correctly Xeorsic will then start it up despite your actions. Lysandre later responds along the lines of saying it's the way things happen. I do believe in a later game the main theme will be destiny as it is more and more being stressed in the games.
And Lysandre didn't just want the rich to join, but people who would be dedicated, which is why there was such a high fee, also in a new world, you need money for an economy, he also needed funds for research as Lysandre labs did create the holo caster.

So, people argue as to as to why did Lysandre try and kill all the pokemon? Well, here's a quote "Pokémon... Shall no longer exist. Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!" This is said just after you see him cry, he doesn't want to kill the Pokemon, it burns him up (tee hee, pun) but to stop them being used in wars, he decides killing them will stop any further suffering where as N believed freeing them from humans will stop suffering. This is why he also tries mass genocide, to stop future wars wreaking the world. I also do not believe he wanted to kill everyone, but that's why he started Team flare, so some people are spared. When he makes his announcement on the holo caster he apologizes to anyone who isn't in Team Flare, I believe he feels sorry for everyone.

Finally I come to the point as to if he is pure evil, is something the Professor said, Lysandre, the champion and the professor were all childhood friends, and before the professor tells you at couriway town he says this
"I have to apologize to you about Lysandre... I'm very sorry for the trouble he caused..."
"And I'd also like to thank you! I'm sincerely grateful for what you did for all of the Pokémon and people of this world. And by stopping Team Flare, you also saved Lysandre. I always knew that he desired a beautiful world..."
"But what I really wanted was for him to put his ego aside and lead everything to greater heights. I never had this discussion with him, though. So I'm partially responsible for this."
So, the professor is basically saying he had good in him and if he did wipe the slate clean as he'd say, Lysandre wouldn't have destroyed himself knowing what he's done, so you have saved him. But the fact he was also a childhood friend and said he never tried to stop him explains Lysandre's later out-burst, after going through his entire life trying to reach his goal and when he's finally close to it you and your friends show him the light, he goes mad and can't accept that he's wasted his life because he was never stopped, to him he is right and he must deny you that you are right.

So, that is why I do not believe he is evil, he is just corrupted. But this is purely what I see him as, like I said, I love Lysandre's character. This is just my theory, Gamefreak never specified if he was pure evil, they left it up to the player to try and work out.

But what of Lysandre's fate? Well, everyone has some theory as to what they think happened to him. Some believe he escaped from the rocks falling in, some believe he killed himself and some believe he gave himself and the player and the player's friends eternal life. I can clear up why people are so mixed.

Version differences. I played Pokemon Y, in it I believed he tried to kill us and got kinda worried if he ever made it out, but no one said he and Team Flare died down there. My friend however had Pokemon X, she said he said that we'd have to suffer watching the world turn for the worst/ugly with eternal life and then fired the ultimate weapon. I was a little confused before I stumbled across some Lysandre quotes.
Before firing the ultimate weapon he says this, but different in both versions.
"<player>, Sycamore's pupils... Let us live forever... That's right! I shall grant you eternal life! I'll give you the pain of endlessly waiting for a beautiful world to finally be built!" - Pokemon X
"The ultimate weapon is a flower that bloomed to no avail... Just like me... But this ends here! I will show what its remaining power can do!" - Pokemon Y.
So I personally think that in Y he either escapes with you and runs away or he dies.
In X I think he either gives you all eternal life and himself or he escapes with you and runs away.
The only way we'll ever know of his fate is if a sequel or something of Pokemon X and Y is made, I think something like X and Y 2 would be more likely with a larger version differences. Different teams, in X I believe Lysandre would have lived, he may have changed his ways, he may not have. In Y a completely different team could occur as Team flare is no more, it could be lead my Malva it may be something I don't know.
But bare in mind this is just MY speculation I have no proof but theories. Other people will have different ones but no main Pokemon game has even been announced yet, there may not even be another game in Kalos until a remake maaaaannnny years in the future.

Might I add I also reject the idea (personally, I am not saying your wrong) Lysandre is based on Hitler. For the following reasons:
-The holo caster comes from the word 'hologram' as one appears as it 'casts' one out in front of the player. I do not think it has any relevance to the word 'holocaust'
- Anyone can join Team flare with a fee, Lysandre didn't kill certain people.
- Team Flare are not trying to take over the world.
- Lysandre didn't kill himself like Hitler did, no one knows of his fate exactly, what happened could be purely an accident.
- Kalos is based on France and the past wars France used to have, France did not just have wars with Germany, it had wars with Britain too and Spain, which is why Kalos is said to be caught in the middle of wars 3000 years ago. And Hitler rose to power in Germany, not France.

I agree completely here. Lysandre always reminded me of a more extreme version of Lelouch from Code Geass. He always had an "end justifies the means" mentality and was ready to shoulder responsibility for the contemptible means he had to undertake to create the beautiful world he sought.

His actions, attitude, and dialogue did a wonderful job of developing him into a great character in quite a subtle way (for Pokemon at least) since one had to pay attention to see him for who he was.

I love how GameFreak has put a great deal of effort into creating good villains since Gen 4.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think Lysandre was a good villain. He was basically a character with a messiah complex, everything he did could be seen from miles away and his battle was honestly the weakest Team leader battle of all Gens.

In saying that, I think the problem lies in him and his "plot" not seeming pressing. I, as the character, didn't feel threatened at all; I was just dealing with a snob.

Schmmidtty

Schmmidtty
Maybe game freak will give us more information about Lysander in the sequels if they come out. They seam to be doing that kind of thing lately. The Celebi event for heart gold and soul silver, spread more light on the Giovanni, silver situation. They didn't need much with Cyrus and team galactic, but platinum followed his ambitions even more into the distortion world. During the BW and BW2 period they released N's full name. And don't forget the whole plot of BW2 she'd more light on N. So I don't believe that Game Freak will just leave us hanging. Maybe Lysander returns, or it is an opposite setting like ruby sapphire and emerald, but I don't believe, they are going to let the target audience kids, have to watch their video game character be killed off. They have rarely ever done something like that.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Where did you find his diary?

I agree completely here. Lysandre always reminded me of a more extreme version of Lelouch from Code Geass. He always had an "end justifies the means" mentality and was ready to shoulder responsibility for the contemptible means he had to undertake to create the beautiful world he sought.

His actions, attitude, and dialogue did a wonderful job of developing him into a great character in quite a subtle way (for Pokemon at least) since one had to pay attention to see him for who he was.

I love how GameFreak has put a great deal of effort into creating good villains since Gen 4.

It's not his Diary, more or less it just details his journey with Pokémon earlier.

It was available in Lysandre Labs, in the Rare Candy Room before Lysandre is beaten for the third time.

Hiss13

Psychic Lover
I don't think Lysandre was a good villain. He was basically a character with a messiah complex, everything he did could be seen from miles away and his battle was honestly the weakest Team leader battle of all Gens.

In saying that, I think the problem lies in him and his "plot" not seeming pressing. I, as the character, didn't feel threatened at all; I was just dealing with a snob.

A villain who attempts to enact a radical change in hopes for a brighter future is only labelled as having a messiah complex when he fails. Otherwise, that person is regarded as a historical figure.

It's not his Diary, more or less it just details his journey with Pokémon earlier.

It was available in Lysandre Labs, in the Rare Candy Room before Lysandre is beaten for the third time.

So, it's not available any more after the Elite Four, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.