• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Thread of Concentrated Hatred for Anything New

Now, I DID start with Gen 1 (Yellow) and I loved it, (and still do) but, I think Gen 1 is boring as hell and Gens 2, 3, and 4 are so much better in every way.
Not saying Kanto is bad, it's just my least favorite.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :<

Saph

Rapscallion
I have played Pokemon since the beginning and this is what I have to say; Gen 3 took what Gen 1 did and did it better. And I'm not just talking about FRLG, either. RSE are better games than RBY. But RBY is a classic, and of course, the original. So in my mind they both take the top spot.

Gen 4, however, took Gen 2 and tried to do it better, but didn't succeed. GSC were the original sequels and they delivered, vastly improving the world of Pokemon. DPPt, while worthy games in their own right and brought a lot of good things to the series, weren't as successful.

This is how I rate the games;

Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald
Red, Blue & Yellow/Fire Red & Leaf Green
Gold, Silver & Crystal/Heart Gold & Soul Silver
Diamond, Pearl & Platinum

Pros & Cons of each game:

RSE Pros:
Best region
Best set of Pokemon
RSE Cons:
Removed features
Not much to do after E4 (fixed in Emerald)

RBY/FRLG Pros:
The originals, established the Pokemon formula
Best in-game key characters
RBY/FRLG Cons:
Kanto as a region is quite basic
Lacks breeding, time and several other improvements from later generations (not the games fault)

GSC/HGSS Pros:
Best new features (time, breeding)
Only true sequel
GSC/HGSS Cons:
Worst Pokemon
Most imbalanced game (level curve, Johto too small because of Kanto)

DPPt Pros:

Physical/Special Split
Most balanced games
DPPt Cons:
Worst graphics
Did not use the touch screen well enough (HGSS did it much better)

Indragon

Back in the USSR
OK, this thread has become long and confusing >_>

Junior, I'm guessing. Basically, Pokemon has the same format as an RPG without the heavy plot.

I guess it's that, and not Japanese as Glass Eye pointed out. Personally, I've never classified Pokemon as a true blue RPG. Well, it is one....kinda...but still not something you'd use to explain an RPG to someone.

I also liked things like legendaries not being directly incorporated into the plot. That's not to say I think their shouldn't be any, a few would be nice, but the feeling of roaming off on your own to explore somewhere deep in say a mountain, only to find some incredibly powerful and rare creature is a nice feeling to me. (P.S. I like the exploration and atmosphere aspects to videogames generally the most). Having them all come to you gives the impression that you're some really important person who was destined for greatness, rather than some loser kid who got tangled up in everything by accident and became awesome. I personally like the latter feeling better.

Actually, the only legendary in DP you're forced to confront in DP is Dialga/Palkia. The others you can just walk into a cave and confront. RBY didn't have legendary influence because the only one it could have was Mewtwo because of its tie to Giovanni (but they didn't go that route though imo they should have), since the bird trio was somewhat random to incorporate into the plotline. I think having that one legendary affecting the plotline isn't such a bad idea.

No I was talking about someone else...

And what I meant was they are aiming the Pokemon games to 6-14 (Or somewhere near that) year olds not the people who played RBY.

Well, that's true enough.

You're right, there should have been more tremendously creative designs. Like Voltorb. And Seel. And Squirtle!

Why all the Squirtle hate XD

Wait, I guess "hate" wasn't the right word to use. But anyway, Squirtle wasn't a bad Pokemon for gen 1, a pretty straightforward choice, basing a Pokemon on a turtle, that is.

Voltorb is simple, not uncreative. It's effectively utilizing a mimicry of another common item from the franchise. No more, no less.

Now, Electrode could have been more creative...

Think of an evolved Pokeball - that's what Electrode looks like. Really, keeping in line with the Voltorb design, Electrode is fine. It's a slightly different and larger form of Voltorb, but simplicity isn't so bad always.

By the way, I am female. (It happens a lot :p) Also, it's not being sociopathic that makes you a threat, it's the motives, sociopathic only leads to these motives at times. Even if you're sociopathic you can end up a pretty good person. I think a poster earlier on got what I was trying to say. The problem is that, basically, he's turned into a cult leader, since he must only be attracting crazies. But see, the thing is, the only other way he could have gotten his lackies on board with the plan is with charm, and I seriously don't see any of that in him. As you even pointed out, the grunts mean nothing to him, so why would they even join him at all? It's not what he's doing I have a problem with, it's how he's doing it. If he were alone in this venture I truly think that I would have had a better time believing him.

The way I see it, Cyrus convinced the other Galactic grunts and whatnot to join him through false promises of power when he'd have set up his new world. And grunts, having intelligence lower than the average human, readily joined up. But I'm sure they got paid for doing it as well. And the fact that Cyrus didn't give a damn for any of his grunts and thought them expendable in the light of his scheme makes him so totally cool :D

Oh, but if Cyrus operated alone, where'd be the classic "evil team boss who commands minions from teh imperial throne in the shadows with a devious plot and whom you don't know about until the final scene because he has teh minions carrying out his work" situation, which is a recurring feature in many RPGs. Also, no grunts to beat for exp. and annoyance.

Anyway, my interpretation of Cyrus' motives is that he was essentially a psychotic and deluded guy who eventually got twisted into a perfectionistic control freak. When he couldn't bear seeing the pain, strife and imperfection in the world anymore (apparently caused due to humans), he wanted to erase all of this and make the world better - a "fresh start" to life. Since he was helpless to change the existing system, he thought the only way to bring in a new world was to destroy this one and create a new one, wherein, through his own control, any of the problems that plague the current world could be prevented or eliminated. He wasn't really interesting in "taking over the world" but he actually thought what he was doing was for the general good - in his mind, the utter annihilation of this world would be its salvation.

Gen 4, however, took Gen 2 and tried to do it better, but didn't succeed. GSC were the original sequels and they delivered, vastly improving the world of Pokemon. DPPt, while worthy games in their own right and brought a lot of good things to the series, weren't as successful.

Gen 4 was not, nor was it intended to be, a sequel to Gen 2. They didn't "take" the GSC games and try to build upon them, it was a totally different region/story, etc.

As for your saying they weren't as successful, sales records prove otherwise. Even barring that, they gave Pokemon games a lot of new additions but just because it kept to the standard formula for the games doesn't mean they weren't vastly improved.

RBY/FRLG Pros:
The originals, established the Pokemon formula
Best in-game key characters

Just asking, but what key characters?

RBY/FRLG Cons:
Kanto as a region is quite basic
Lacks breeding, time and several other improvements from later generations (not the games fault)

Well, whose fault then? Though you're referring only to RBY when you talk about breeding and such.

GSC/HGSS Pros:
Best new features (time, breeding)
Only true sequel

Has the thought occurred to you that it was a sequel because it was meant to be one while the other two gens following it were disconnected from the first two?

DPPt Cons:
Worst graphics
Did not use the touch screen well enough (HGSS did it much better)

Not using the touch screen is hardly a reason for a Pokemon game not being good. It didn't need to use it, that simple. I love touch screen-utilising games myself, but that doesn't mean every DS game does so. Play Ranger or something.

As for the graphics part, you've really lost me there...

Zazie

So 1991
It's because he's wrong.

Pallet Town in Gen I

Pallet Town in Gen 4

Twinleaf Town in Gen 4

Anybody who really thinks that first image is better is free to just play R/B/G/Y until the day their internal battery dies.

1. I doubt he specifically meant the 3rd gen graphics were better than the 4th gen ones, he could just as well have been referring to the difference between 3rd and 4th gen graphics.

2. There is more to quality of graphics than how much computing power is needed to dsiplay them. Art direction can also be quite important. (not that I am saying the 4th gen has poor art direction)

3. Quite a few people prefer sprites over polygonal graphics, these people will most likely not like the changes 4th gen made to the graphics.

Last edited:

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
D/P/PL graphics weren't that bad, what the hell is everyone b*tching about!?

Saph

Rapscallion
Gen 4 was not, nor was it intended to be, a sequel to Gen 2. They didn't "take" the GSC games and try to build upon them, it was a totally different region/story, etc.
Where did I claim any of this?

As for your saying they weren't as successful, sales records prove otherwise.
I wasn't talking about sales. Can you even read?
Even barring that, they gave Pokemon games a lot of new additions but just because it kept to the standard formula for the games doesn't mean they weren't vastly improved.
Well, in my opinion, DPPt had the least improvements. That's my point.

Just asking, but what key characters?
Prof.Oak, Blue, Gym Leaders, Elite 4.

Well, whose fault then? Though you're referring only to RBY when you talk about breeding and such.
Nobody's. I'm comparing the games as a whole, one of the negatives of RBY in my mind is that, being the first, it is quite basic compared to newer games. Obvious, expected and can't be helped, but it's a factor.

Has the thought occurred to you that it was a sequel because it was meant to be one while the other two gens following it were disconnected from the first two?
Yes, in fact I talked about that in an earlier post. I get the feeling you're trying to find a meaning in my posts that aren't there.

Not using the touch screen is hardly a reason for a Pokemon game not being good. It didn't need to use it, that simple. I love touch screen-utilising games myself, but that doesn't mean every DS game does so. Play Ranger or something.
DPPt's use of a touch screen is vastly inferior to HGSS's, so I count that as a con because they could've done more with it.

As for the graphics part, you've really lost me there...
It's called an opinion, genius. DP's graphics, while more advanced, look bad aesthetically. The colour scheme is ugly, the 3d Models are rough on the edges and there is a lack of detail. Once again, HGSS vastly improved on this, which makes DP look worse.

It's because he's wrong.

Pallet Town in Gen I

Pallet Town in Gen 4

Twinleaf Town in Gen 4

Anybody who really thinks that first image is better is free to just play R/B/G/Y until the day their internal battery dies.
I'm not wrong, and you are certainly not in the position to tell me I'm wrong. For a Game Boy game, RBY looked good. GSC looked better. RSE/FRLG were nice-looking GBA games. DPPt weren't good looking DS games. That's my point, and more importantly, my opinion. I never presented it as anything else.

I'd also like to make it clear that I am not supporting the notion that the Pokemon games are getting worse, if that is why you two have decided to jump on me (and jump to ridiculous conclusions in the process)

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!

I wasn't talking about sales. Can you even read? Well, in my opinion, DPPt had the least improvements. That's my point.

Nobody's. I'm comparing the games as a whole, one of the negatives of RBY in my mind is that, being the first, it is quite basic compared to newer games. Obvious, expected and can't be helped, but it's a factor.

Yes, in fact I talked about that in an earlier post. I get the feeling you're trying to find a meaning in my posts that aren't there.

DPPt's use of a touch screen is vastly inferior to HGSS's, so I count that as a con because they could've done more with it.

It's called an opinion, genius. DP's graphics, while more advanced, look bad aesthetically. The colour scheme is ugly, the 3d Models are rough on the edges and there is a lack of detail. Once again, HGSS vastly improved on this, which makes DP look worse.

I'm not wrong, and you are certainly not in the position to tell me I'm wrong. For a Game Boy game, RBY looked good. GSC looked better. RSE/FRLG were nice-looking GBA games. DPPt weren't good looking DS games. That's my point, and more importantly, my opinion. I never presented it as anything else.

I'd also like to make it clear that I am not supporting the notion that the Pokemon games are getting worse, if that is why you two have decided to jump on me (and jump to ridiculous conclusions in the process)

DPPt aren't good looking DS games I agree with but neither were HG and SS. Both could have been done so much better but weren't. I've played enough monster collecters to see what the DS is capable of. So yeah I agree with you.

Hope I didn't phrase that too badly considering it 2:30am in the morning where I am.XP

It's gamefreaks decision though if they want to take advantage of the graphics or not in the end. Personally I play other monster tamers now if I want something nice with good gameplay and Pokemon for when I want to play Pokemon.

I personally don't think Pokemon going down hill though. More like staying the same with only a few new editions added each gen. Taking baby steps in other words.

Last edited:

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
This annoys me! why are people comparing the graphics of Pokemon, to say, that of Halo?

Profesco

gone gently
This annoys me! why are people comparing the graphics of Pokemon, to say, that of Halo?

Because people know of both of them. That's all.

Pretty solid reasoning, eh?

Dark Eevee

DPPt aren't good looking DS games I agree with but neither were HG and SS. Both could have been done so much better but weren't. I've played enough monster collecters to see what the DS is capable of. So yeah I agree with you.

Hope I didn't phrase that too badly considering it 2:30am in the morning where I am.XP

It's gamefreaks decision though if they want to take advantage of the graphics or not in the end. Personally I play other monster tamers now if I want something nice with good gameplay and Pokemon for when I want to play Pokemon.

I personally don't think Pokemon going down hill though. More like staying the same with only a few new editions added each gen. Taking baby steps in other words.

Yeah, I have a lot of games like that too. I find that the better the graphics (which are really block-like at best) the more the game freezes or glitches. I've never had a pokemon game freeze on me, and the less advanced the graphics the more they can stuff into the game.

Saph

Rapscallion
It's not really about advancement but more about aesthetics. DP and HGSS both use the same technology, but HGSS looks better because they made better design choices.

jellsprout

I miss the glitches. There is little as fun as doing a glitch Pokémon playthrough, or completing the Pokédex without trading.

I also miss the fact that the majority of Gyms could be done in any order. Back in R/B/Y, you could do Gyms 3-6 in any order you wanted. In G/S/C, you could do Gyms 5-7 in any order you wanted. But in the newer generations every route gets blocked off until you need to go there. And I don't find this linearity much fun. It takes away much of your freedom.

Zazie

So 1991
I miss the glitches. There is little as fun as doing a glitch Pokémon playthrough, or completing the Pokédex without trading.

I also miss the fact that the majority of Gyms could be done in any order. Back in R/B/Y, you could do Gyms 3-6 in any order you wanted. In G/S/C, you could do Gyms 5-7 in any order you wanted. But in the newer generations every route gets blocked off until you need to go there. And I don't find this linearity much fun. It takes away much of your freedom.

Diamond and Pearl did allow you to choose whether you wanted to do the 3rd or 4th gym first so they may pop up in newer games as well.

I don't like being able to face gym leaders out of order if it means they will be the same strangth though, as it leads to the later ones being easier and I prefer the gyms to get progressively more challenging.

Zaralt

4x Pokemon Master
Actually, the only legendary in DP you're forced to confront in DP is Dialga/Palkia. The others you can just walk into a cave and confront. RBY didn't have legendary influence because the only one it could have was Mewtwo because of its tie to Giovanni (but they didn't go that route though imo they should have), since the bird trio was somewhat random to incorporate into the plotline. I think having that one legendary affecting the plotline isn't such a bad idea.

Think of an evolved Pokeball - that's what Electrode looks like. Really, keeping in line with the Voltorb design, Electrode is fine. It's a slightly different and larger form of Voltorb, but simplicity isn't so bad always.

The way I see it, Cyrus convinced the other Galactic grunts and whatnot to join him through false promises of power when he'd have set up his new world. And grunts, having intelligence lower than the average human, readily joined up. But I'm sure they got paid for doing it as well. And the fact that Cyrus didn't give a damn for any of his grunts and thought them expendable in the light of his scheme makes him so totally cool :D

Oh, but if Cyrus operated alone, where'd be the classic "evil team boss who commands minions from teh imperial throne in the shadows with a devious plot and whom you don't know about until the final scene because he has teh minions carrying out his work" situation, which is a recurring feature in many RPGs. Also, no grunts to beat for exp. and annoyance.

Anyway, my interpretation of Cyrus' motives is that he was essentially a psychotic and deluded guy who eventually got twisted into a perfectionistic control freak. When he couldn't bear seeing the pain, strife and imperfection in the world anymore (apparently caused due to humans), he wanted to erase all of this and make the world better - a "fresh start" to life. Since he was helpless to change the existing system, he thought the only way to bring in a new world was to destroy this one and create a new one, wherein, through his own control, any of the problems that plague the current world could be prevented or eliminated. He wasn't really interesting in "taking over the world" but he actually thought what he was doing was for the general good - in his mind, the utter annihilation of this world would be its salvation.

1) Don't forget Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit, they were still an integral part to the story. My point is that they have been increasing these numbers a bit. And, yeah, I think Mewtwo should have had more of a roll in the RBY storyline as well, I never quite understood that, seeing as he's one of the Pokemon that has a direct tie in to human kind.

2) People seem to underrate simplicity a lot. It can be a very good thing if used right. And I never got the Voltorb and Electrode hatred. They're traps, that looked like items. It was a good concept to go by.

3) Promise of power, sure I suppose, that thought has crossed my mind. But power over humanity is one thing, completely restarting the world is another entirely. In history, there have been several dictators like that, but they were living in the real world. To help this man, they would really have to be okay with the whole thing, have no ties to anyone or anything, and probably thus be as psychotic as him. My end point here is that I find gathering all these mentally unstable people in one place to be a tad unrealistic considering how few there would be as deluded as him.

Once again, if you like the villain, that's totally cool, this is just my opinion after all. :)

P.S. Just to make it abundantly clear, I don't hate any of the generations, even though I posted in this now supposed 'concentrated hatred' thread. I still play pokemon to this day, and they're all good games in their own way, but this doesn't mean that you can't like some more than others.

Last edited:

Zanbonsen

Pokemorpher/recolor
I don't like being able to face gym leaders out of order if it means they will be the same strangth though, as it leads to the later ones being easier and I prefer the gyms to get progressively more challenging.

I'm going to have to agree with you but disagree. I absolutely love going to any Gym I want but the fact that it leads to easier Gym battles is much more annoying. In D/P/Pt it's nice you can choose the 3rd or 4th Gym in your order but only two Gyms to do that takes a way from the experience of "your own Pokemon adventure".

Dattebayo

Banned
How are HG/SS's graphics better than D/P/Pt, Saph? I actually see no difference for them, and, with enough people who agree with me, it makes your opinion irrelevant. Give us a good example, and I'll change my opinion to be like yours.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
So...best because it's first? That's it? If Sinnoh came first, then it'd be the best?

It's been over a decade. Why were you expecting anything different except small variations in the standard formula?

Lake Trio and Dragon trio play directly into the plot. Heatran, Cresselia, Regigias, and Shaymin all have sub-plots.

lol

A whole trend and you can name three out of 493.

Here's mine.

YOU PLAYED THESE GAMES FOR 10+ YEARS, NOTICED THE EXTREMELY FORMULAIC STORYLINES AND ARE EXPECTING SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FOR THIS GENERATION.

Why is that?

Realistic=lol.

Everything else is VERY subjective. "original" Pokemon seems like a code word for "based off a real-life animal" bu that's clearly not true for a number of the original 151. "Original" story-line only in that it was the first. There's no shortage of RPGs or other forms of media with this basic 10 year old saves the world plot.

Ah, even though Sinnoh gets slammed for a similar storyline Johto gets a "pass". I guess that's the trend among the Johto Revisionists of the forum: criticize Hoenn and Sinnoh for everything under the sun but ignore them when it comes to Johto.

Wow, a game does something different and you pan it.

For you to think they'll ever signifigantly change it is ridiculous.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And after playing 10+ years of games with the same story being re-hashed, you were expecting what?

What does this even mean?

At no time was Sinnoh promoted as a sequel to the Hoenn games beyond that they're released after them. It's an entirely separate region.

This is utterly ridiculous.

"Caroony" Pokemon? You do know Pokemon has a 10+ year running animated series.

ALL Pokemon are "caroony." Many of your ideolized awesome favorites from Kanto are "cartoony."

Magic and vultural value?

You are free to not catch them. Besides Giratina (Or Dialga/Palkia in D/P), you are never forced to battle a single one of them. In fact, you can skip them altogether.

A Legendary Pokemon is not inherently rare or "special", whatever that is. The only qualification to be a Legendary Pokemon is to be called as such by official sources.

Except that Cyrus is not running a criminal empire but is running a religious cult.

So yeah, not at all similar to Team Rocket.

If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, yes.

I second this.

Sinnoh had the best storyline imo.

Indragon

Back in the USSR

You said Gen 4 took Gen 2 and tried to do it better. You said Gen 2 were the original sequels but Gen 4 failed in this regard. That reads as if you were claiming that Gen 4 was somehow linked/a continuation of Gen 2.

I wasn't talking about sales. Can you even read? Well, in my opinion, DPPt had the least improvements. That's my point.

Then care explaining what you mean by "successful"?

You can't base opinion on fact. DPPt and HGSS had significant improvements so you can't say they didn't.

OK, Professor Oak - how is he "better" than any of the other region professors, speaking game-wise?

Blue - your standard rival. He may have been one of the better rivals out there, but he's still a rival, something all the games have, so as a character, he may be cooler/stronger but not any more important than the other rivals.

Gym Leaders and Elite 4 - None of the other games have them, right?

Yes, it's a factor, but the fault is the game's because the game didn't have it. There's no one else to blame.

You said "only true sequel" implying that the others were sequels but weren't sequels through and through but now I assume you mean that you rank Gen 2 highly because it was the only sequel in the Pokemon games?

Sure, I'd have loved some more touch screen action, but its absence, in no way, detracts from the actual gameplay. HGSS came after it, so they obviously would have improved some aspects then. No Pokemon main series game has relied on the stylus and just because it's on the DS doesn't mean it must do so or it's a bad game.

OK, so apparently DPPt's graphics are worse than the thinly-detailed, black and white and in-battle blurry graphics of RBY. I admit the colour scheme appeared a bit dark to me which I didn't like, but the graphics don't look bad aesthetically. General graphics and sprites are 99% of the time better than Gen 3. The 3D may not be perfect, but this is the DS and this is Pokemon. The semi-3D is a step up from the 2D of the GBA. And lack of detail? Surely, you jest.

And yes, I agree, HGSS looks better, but doesn't change the fact that DPPt was good as well (though it had its problems).

OK, they may have looked good for their times, but if you say "DPPt had the worst graphics", you're comparing them to the other games. And when you do that, DPPt graphics are superior to all the previous gens. I think that RSE were good-looking and GBA games and even DPPt and HGSS were good-looking DS games, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

1) Don't forget Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit, they were still an integral part to the story. My point is that they have been increasing these numbers a bit. And, yeah, I think Mewtwo should have had more of a roll in the RBY storyline as well, I never quite understood that, seeing as he's one of the Pokemon that has a direct tie in to human kind.

Hmm, yeah, they have increased them but despite the Lake Trio being in the plot, you don't actually have to battle them if you don't want to. As for Mewtwo, I was surprised and disappointed when they didn't even include him when they made FRLG, and that's after basing a movie and a special on him and his relation with Giovanni.

3) Promise of power, sure I suppose, that thought has crossed my mind. But power over humanity is one thing, completely restarting the world is another entirely. In history, there have been several dictators like that, but they were living in the real world. To help this man, they would really have to be okay with the whole thing, have no ties to anyone or anything, and probably thus be as psychotic as him. My end point here is that I find gathering all these mentally unstable people in one place to be a tad unrealistic considering how few there would be as deluded as him.

What I think is that they really didn't know Cyrus' true motives - all except his three commanders who were ruthless enough to accept and go by his plan. The grunts were pretty simple and they went about it by a task-by-task basis (for which they were employed) - like if we catch so-and-so Pokemon and do this or do that, it'll be a step forward to gain power. I guess Cyrus could persuade them well enough to join Galactic and carry out those tasks (still with that limited knowledge) like how Hitler managed to do with Germany. So they weren't really mental like him, but thought of his plan on a lower level. As with Hitler, their were many who stood beside him but didn't share all his ideologies or not to the extent that he did.

P.S. Just to make it abundantly clear, I don't hate any of the generations, even though I posted in this now supposed 'concentrated hatred' thread. I still play pokemon to this day, and they're all good games in their own way, but this doesn't mean that you can't like some more than others.

Heh, even I like all the games - good thing everyone who posts here doesn't have concentrated hatred against the games.

As for the issue of non-linearity with regard to gyms, I think a bit of freedom is good, but if their are too many options, it makes the later-challenged gyms easier, which I don't like. So, the balance that DP found with having the ability to choose between only two gyms was a good middle way, incorporating the best of both worlds.