• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Thread of Concentrated Hatred for Anything New

squrtle

Dance with the Enemy
tbh I think that the ability to choose from any gym in any order will be weird.
Pokemon elevate levels, nothing in the main game does that better than gyms.
So having at least 4 to choose from at once would me more suitable yet at closer level ranges, if not just sticking to two to choose from but at sightly further level ranges
For example.

Choice set 1
Maylene
Machoke lv27
Medicham lv29
Lucario lv31

Crasher Wake
Quagsire lv29
Gyarados lv31
Floatzel lv34

Choice Set 2
Fantina
Mismagius lv36
Dusclops lv37
Drifblim lv39

Byron
Magneton lv38
Steelix lv38
Bastiodon lv41

There, that's how I'd do it.
I hate how there's only 1 choice for more than one gym....
I'd make it like that.

squrtle

Dance with the Enemy
tbh I think that the ability to choose from any gym in any order will be weird.
Pokemon elevate levels, nothing in the main game does that better than gyms.
So having at least 4 to choose from at once would me more suitable yet at closer level ranges, if not just sticking to two to choose from but at sightly further level ranges
For example.

Choice set 1
Maylene
Machoke lv27
Medicham lv29
Lucario lv31

Crasher Wake
Quagsire lv29
Gyarados lv31
Floatzel lv34

Choice Set 2
Fantina
Mismagius lv36
Dusclops lv37
Drifblim lv39

Byron
Magneton lv38
Steelix lv38
Bastiodon lv41

There, that's how I'd do it.
I hate how there's only 1 choice for more than one gym....
I'd make it like that.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
For this issue of multiple gyms, there's one way for it to work well but it'd require some extra programming and whatnot. If there are, say, 4 gyms you can choose from at a certain point in the game, then only for those 4 gym leaders, 3 extra rosters should be programmed having level variation in each or even a new Pokemon or two. So, when you challenge a certain gym, the Pokemon that are used against you depend on the number of badges you already have and hence, they are leveled accordingly.

In essence, this would work for the entire region, but that's a bit too much I guess.

lvl 100 Charizard

You know what mate, you should have thought of the consequences before posting this thread. Some people here actually like pokemon. Can you believe it? I agree that Kanto was the best but what's wrong with a little straying from the beaten path? If Game Freak only ever made Red, Blue and Yellow we wouldn't even have this website. Think about that for a while.

Arceusgamer14

What's with People hating Pokemon outside the 151 dex?

I just don't understand, Why are some people disliking the new Pokemon? The new Pokemon games still get awesome reviews and there are people criticizing new Pokemon for their "Lack" of style and it's "Broken" gameplay? What is wrong with those people!?

Dattebayo

Banned
Two words: Nostalgia Filter.

What they haven't realized is that it would be boring if there were only 151.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Because you generalize them to only liking the first 151 dex. I loved the Kanto Dex and the Johto Dex. The Hoenn Dex is where the problem starts. But before you call me a nostalgic freak let me say I loved the Sinnoh Dex and the fourth gen Pokemon. So that whole nostalgic argument breaks down. :)

Penguinist Trainer

It's not that people hate pokemon outside the original 151. The problem is that people hate pokemon if it doesn't appeal to their vision of the pokemon world.

This is typically why we get questions on the forums like "Why doesn't Leafon evolve from the Leaf Stone?" or "Why do the 4th generation pokemon look like robots... this isn't Digimon???" or even "Why aren't there any pure Flying types?".

Since the 1st game was released, people have made their own expectations of the series and when 1 particular aspect doesn't live up to those expectations, we will usually hear about it on these forums.

I don't really think it has anything to do with the original 151 pokemon. Since those were the original, we had nothing to compare them too. Naturally we place those on a pretty high pedestal to judge all future pokemon.

I never understood the whole "nostalgia" thing. I love the original pokemon, but I have also loved every generation since then. Pokemon was always about discovery for me. You were always discovering new species, new ways to evolve, new types and new regions to explore.

Some people enjoy the journey they take... other people only like the journey if it takes them places they want to go.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Generally it's people hating Pokemon outside the 251 dex. The reason for this is because they don't want change. I loved the third gen designs, but I think by now some Pokemon are looking too rounded and artificial. Personal option. I don't go ruining everybody who likes these design's days by saying "HOI THOSE SUCK AND AS FOR YOU SIR, YOU SUCK AS WELL FOR LIKING THEM. HURHURHUR."

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
What's with people hating the 3rd Gen?
What's with people hating Bidoof?
What's with people liking Eevee?
What's with people [insert emotion] [insert subject]?

God forbid anyone have an opinion that isn't "OMG ALL POKEMON IS AWESOME".

frozenthrone101

BugBite Leader
You have to remember that most pokemon are build up on first gen ,
(e.g Magmar ->Magby ->Magmortar /Electrabuzz ->Elekid ->Electrivire)
clampearl could come from cloyster , and so on
what some people see it as is that they are re-using old pokemon to make new ones to attract new fans , and yes , it would be boring with only first gen

Nacreous

Fire trainer
I have seen the first gen pokes so much these years that I cant stand them.I think they are the most boring ever becuz I know everything about them.The Johto pkmn are the most awesome & the most creative as well as the Hoenn ones.Some Sinnoh pokes have their flaws[ex: Magmortar,Purugly] but overall I don't see the problem

Zazie

So 1991
Because the orignal 150 (mew is debated) are old skool, and old skool is cool. You get massive props for referencing stuff that was cool when you're a kid. Most o these people aren't really that into pokemon and just like to play the game for the memories and talk about how awesome it was in the day with their friends. People saying it's nostalgia are partially right but there's a little bit more to it, it's about shared pop culture memories and being retro, which is cool. (at least that's the case for the majority of them, people who say that and post on pokemon forums probably have different reasons)

Neurotic Nuckelavee

Monochromatic Beast
A lot of it might be nostalgia, and the fact that they had nothing to compare the first generation to. Now every other generation is going to be compared with Gen I in some way or another, and often it is in criticism.

When people talk about how they loved Gen I, liked Gen II, felt so-so about Gen III, and hated Gen IV, I often wonder if that progression from love to hate has more to do with them outgrowing the franchise than there being anything actually wrong with the new pokemon. Especially when "The new pokemon look too childish!" starts being thrown around.

I think they outgrew the franchise without really realizing it, so they assume something is wrong with the pokemon and not their perception of the pokemon.

Tirea Mokri

I will admit, I am one of those people who says that the new Pokemon are kind of blahhh. I LOVE the first and second generations, because I first started playing Pokemon when G/S/C was new and thus had my first exposure to Pokemon with Kanto and Johto.

Hoenn was okay, I loved those games as well and the Pokemon weren't my absolute favorite, but I still liked them.

Sinnoh, I wasn't too fond of. I never even completed my Pearl Version. Now, before everyone slits my throat, this is strictly, my opinion. I found a lot of the Sinnoh Pokemon to be too futuristic/robotic for my liking. There are some I like, such as Leafeon and Buizel, but for the most part I just didn't enjoy it. I'm still excited for the fifth generation and hope it lays off the space theme, but we'll just have to wait and see.

So call me a nostalgia freak if you want. I'm damn proud of it. :p

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
1. Because that was back when Pokemon was "cool".

2. Nostalgia.

3. Personal opinion.

Pick your poison. There was a lot of it back in 1st gen.