• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Thread of Concentrated Hatred for Anything New

GaZsTiC

Alternating
They're stuck in the 90's. They don't like no number higher than 151 and all that Lady GaGa nonsense...

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
People love the classic 151 pokemon and nostalgia feeling the pokemon now don't seem that great to them...it's a shame..

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I think it's mostly nostalgia, but I have to wonder how someone can call themselves a Pokemon fan when they won't even acknowledge any Pokemon after Mew; some of these people actually insist that there are only 151 "real" Pokemon.

Super Saiyan 3 Goku

Nostalgia. Always Nostalgia.

And some of the Gen IV Pokemon just don't look like Pokemon. :-/

Tyrant Tar

It's not entirely nostalgia.
There is a slight style change between generations. For example, compare Persian's whiskers to Purugly's. Few if any Gen 1 Pokemon used thin lines in their designs, whereas there are in later Gens.

Also, many Gen 3 appear to be homages/remakes of Gen 1 Pokemon, while many Gen 4 Pokemon are fat evolutions of old Pokemon. Gen 2 is similar to Gen 4 in that regard, but has the "excuse" that it's literally connected to Gen 1 (and only came out 3 years after, not after nearly a decade). So people claiming new Pokemon are unoriginal has a *bit* of reasoning to it.

Super Saiyan 3 Goku

I mean, look at the Regis and compare them to the Legendary Birds and see which one looks like a "Legend".

Not really "does it look like a Pokemon or not". Just the ones that look stupid I don't like, I dunno, it's weird.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I mean, look at the Regis and compare them to the Legendary Birds and see which one looks like a "Legend".

Not really "does it look like a Pokemon or not". Just the ones that look stupid I don't like, I dunno, it's weird.

I dunno. I think a lot of the first gen Pokemon look pretty stupid. Every generation has a couple odd ones out.

And, well... the Regis are legendary Pokemon, so they look like legends to me. As Gamefreak says, thus it is. They're the creators.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Drunken Squirrel
I don't like the third and fourth gen of Pokemon, and odds are I won't like the fifth gen either.

Part of this is nostalgia of course, but the newer Pokemon look so stupid and forced. Instead of evolving the whole franchise and gameplay of Pokemon, the creators decided to just make another 100 or so more each time and use the same formula of gameplay.

It feels lazy.

Imagine if, instead we received the fourth and fifth generations of Pokemon, we got a Pokemon MMO? I'd sure like that a lot more than what we currently have.

Super Saiyan 3 Goku

I dunno. I think a lot of the first gen Pokemon look pretty stupid. Every generation has a couple odd ones out.

I see your point there. Nothing is perfect, even Pokemon. But I just like the Legendary birds more than the Regis cause they are from when I was a kid going to the theater to see "Pokemon the movie 2000" and Gold/Silver was my generation of games. Everything else after is just meh. I do like a few of the Pokemon from Gen III and IV. Rayquaza looks BEAST in its Shiny form and Giratina is a big Dragon. I have a Dragon fetish. :>

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Some of it is because of the Nostalgia. Think about it some people were like 10 back then so they remember them being so cool, Neurotic is right about that, perhaps they don't realize they outgrew it. There are some Pokemon I don't like (Propopass for instant) but there are plenty in Gen III and IV that has to do it with.

I think certain members of my family think I like Pokemon because of Nostalgia but that's not why, maybe 1% but it's not the reason. However I learn to go with the years instead of staying in the 90's.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Some of it is because of the Nostalgia. Think about it some people were like 10 back then so they remember them being so cool, Neurotic is right about that, perhaps they don't realize they outgrew it. There are some Pokemon I don't like (Propopass for instant) but there are plenty in Gen III and IV that has to do it with.

I think certain members of my family think I like Pokemon because of Nostalgia but that's not why, maybe 1% but it's not the reason. However I learn to go with the years instead of staying in the 90's.

Same here. It's great to revisit the days of the original 151 with my old "complete" Pokedex book that doesn't even cover Mew, my old Pokemon cards and booklets of cheap stickers-- not to mention the first season of the anime. But I'm constantly grateful for the new stuff we get. Sure, when I played Blue and I found that Pikachu in Veridian Forest, blew away the Elite Four with my level 70 Blastoise and scoured the Safari Zone, I thought, "this is awesome. It doesn't get any better than this."

I'm so happy I was proven so utterly, consummately incorrect.

VizardBlue

no, you are dead.
Nostalgia my friend. sad but true, these are the people that hate final fantasy 13 because they were expecting another regular final fantasy. And These are also the people who are going to flame Black and White for having too many changes. Which i expect it will. :p

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Drunken Squirrel
Nostalgia my friend. sad but true, these are the people that hate final fantasy 13 because they were expecting another regular final fantasy. And These are also the people who are going to flame Black and White for having too many changes. Which i expect it will. :p
I thought people hated FF13 because it doesn't get good until 30ish hours into the game :V

catzeye

Writer's Block
There are two types of nostalgia goggles. The 151 model and the 251 model.

151 Model- Those who wear this model are the ones who usually only bought R/B/G/Y and probably watched the anime on up until the end of the Orange Island League. They were probably 9-12 when the Pokemon Fad came. They applaud the relative simplicity of the 1st gen as something that made Pokemon what it is.

Some common comments from the 151 Nostalgia Goggles are:
- There are only 151 Pokemon
- The 1st gen Pokemon actually LOOKED like pokemon
- Mewtwo/Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres/Mew are the only true legendaries
- Charizard/Dragonite/Arcanine/Ninetales/Gengar are the best things since sliced bread

251 Model- This upgraded model is usually worn by those started playing pokemon in the G/S/C region. However many people who played R/B/G/Y will also upgrade to these goggles. These people loved the fact that you got 2 regions for the price of 1. They will have usually watched the anime on up until the end of Johto. They are also noted to have dropped out the Pokemon fandom when the fad died out and it suddenly became uncool to like Pokemon anymore

Some common comments from 251 Nostalgia goggles:

- Kanto was the best, Johto was alright but after that it started to suck
- They should of stopped at 251, we have too many "pokemon" now
- The designs got horrible after Johto
- I used to be into Pokemon, until Johto ended and they sent Misty packing

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3

151 Model- Those who wear this model are the ones who usually only bought R/B/G/Y and probably watched the anime on up until the end of the Orange Island League. They were probably 9-12 when the Pokemon Fad came. They applaud the relative simplicity of the 1st gen as something that made Pokemon what it is.

- Charizard/Dragonite/Arcanine/Ninetales/Gengar are the best things since sliced bread

251 Model- This upgraded model is usually worn by those started playing pokemon in the G/S/C region. However many people who played R/B/G/Y will also upgrade to these goggles. These people loved the fact that you got 2 regions for the price of 1. They will have usually watched the anime on up until the end of Johto. They are also noted to have dropped out the Pokemon fandom when the fad died out and it suddenly became uncool to like Pokemon anymore

Wow it is so perfect except you are forgetting the newest model to date! The 386 Model! Yes because now the hoenn fans wear nostalgia goggles too. Welcome to the club!
comments include
- those fans of kanto and johto don't know what they're talking about. Those original 151 and subsequent 100 were stupid/terrible/plain
- I don't like the fourth gen. They are not the same as the Pokemon when I started playing (gen 3). They look "plastic"
- May IS SO AWESOME LAWLZ. SHE WAZ THE BEZT CHARACTER EVER ASDGASGKLJLAKSJGFKD ;)
- oh my gawwwd salamance is soooooooooooo awesome. garchomp is lame.
I am so sorry I almost forgot my favorite
-Blaizken was the original fire-fighting starter pokemon. Infernape is just a copy

So my point that there are plenty of third gen fans who whine and cry about the fourth gen. They don't make threads about it though. They just flood the threads that R/B/Y/G/S/C players have made. and say things like "no third gen was okay. it is fourth gen that was terrible."
Each generation really defines what players expect out of future generations. New players are going to whine about past generations because of the lack of all the bells and whistles from the generation they started in. Old players are going to whine about the newer games because of nostalgia. BUT every fan of each gen is going to whine about the next. SO stop with the out of date double standard all ready. Plenty of 3rd gen fans complain about the 4th gen and will also complain about the 5th gen (with the 1st and 2nd gen fans of course). And those 3rd gen fans are just stuck in the 00s. Its the 10s now so get over it.

Last edited:

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker

You know, I think you have a point there. When Red and Blue were new, I was fifteen. Yeah, I'm old. I wonder if I might have donned nostalgia goggles, or more likely to, had I been younger when Pokemon just was starting out. Maybe not.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Yeah, I see this thread sticking around. Because these things never turn up all the time and annoy everyone with big flaming debates of death and destruction.

Really, the problem is that most people played Pokemon while they were pre-teens, where doing what you find fun is the major thing that matters. And Pokemon is fun.

By the time the later generations came around, these people were in high school, where playing Pokemon pretty much makes you an outcast because popular people have to insult someone/something, and stuff aimed at younger people, as well as those who enjoy them, are easy targets. So these people would either see the newer games as bad because that's what their peers thought, or simply stop playing to escape criticism.

/rantoff