• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Thwackey with One Stick! (1190)

UnovaMaster

Anyone who didn't enjoy the episode needs a good thwacking, and stop complaining about episode slots this might've tied the two speculated paths for Grookey up anyways

Glad Thwackey gave Grookey such a good full body massage, it needs one with all the tension its haters place on its back

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I am still waiting to the explanation about why it is fine for Clemont to cry for Clembot (which memories are data in the end) but not for Goh to cry about its data investigation.

Both scenes feels a bit forced but it is fine to cry for such things anyways.
Are you really comparing what is essentially someone losing a bunch of photos on his phone to someone having their friend have complete amnesia and never being the same person again? Like seriously?

RafaSceptile

Are you really comparing what is essentially someone losing a bunch of photos on his phone to someone having their friend have complete amnesia and never being the same person again? Like seriously?
No? I am comparing both characters that lost stuff they cared about and how in both cases that stuff mean a lot for them.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
No? I am comparing both characters that lost stuff they cared about and how in both cases that stuff mean a lot for them.
Yeah one lost a bunch of data we never even see him care or work on before and are essentially just his travel logs, and one had to pretty much wipe his own friend which had it’s own sentience from existence by his own hand. If you can’t tell difference between how different the weight of what was lost are than the problem is on you.

RafaSceptile

Yeah one lost a bunch of data we never even see him care or work on before and are essentially just his travel logs, and one had to pretty much wipe his own friend which had it’s own sentience from existence by his own hand. If you can’t tell difference between how different the weight of what was lost are than the problem is on you.
For Goh it is not "just his travel logs", as he stated during the episode itself. Similar to how Clembot was not "just a robot" for Clemont.
Additionally, Clemont was completely fine after fixing Clembot 3 episodes later, making the whole scene of Clembot's "death" significantly less impactful as an emotional event, similar to how Goh crying for the data was significantly less impactful by the end of that episode.

So yeah, either both are good for crying over losing things they care about, or both are bad.

nuzamaki90

For Goh it is not "just his travel logs", as he stated during the episode itself. Similar to how Clembot was not "just a robot" for Clemont.
Additionally, Clemont was completely fine after fixing Clembot 3 episodes later, making the whole scene of Clembot's "death" significantly less impactful as an emotional event, similar to how Goh crying for the data was significantly less impactful by the end of that episode.

So yeah, either both are good for crying over losing things they care about, or both are bad.
You gotta rewatch the episode because Clemont was not fine after fixing Clembot, in fact he was lamenting the fact that it all happened. He eased up a bit after the whole “start from zero” conversation everyone had.

Clembot was an actual character with their own personality, story, and moments. Of course their “death” would feel more impactful than Goh being sad some of his pictures got deleted.

Also side note; Ash was so involved with Thwackey’s story in this episode you’d think it was his. A glimpse at a timeline where Ash got Grookey and actually evolved it.

RafaSceptile

You gotta rewatch the episode because Clemont was not fine after fixing Clembot, in fact he was lamenting the fact that it all happened. He eased up a bit after the whole “start from zero” conversation everyone had.

Clembot was an actual character with their own personality, story, and moments. Of course their “death” would feel more impactful than Goh being sad some of his pictures got deleted.
I rewatched the last episodes of XYZ less than half a year ago because of the 5th anniversary of the Team Flare arc. Clemont only had the opportunity to inform to his friends that he fixed Clembot without its memories before the Gym Battle. We didn't have many onscreen moments of Clemont being affected after the Team Flare arc because that episode was very rushed with a lot of stuff happening very quickly.

Risrhayne

Anyone who didn't enjoy the episode needs a good thwacking, and stop complaining about episode slots this might've tied the two speculated paths for Grookey up anyways

Glad Thwackey gave Grookey such a good full body massage, it needs one with all the tension its haters place on its back
Grookey, the Pokémon that’s treated countless others as their personal piñata with no repercussions deserves a massage because the fans hate them.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

nuzamaki90

I rewatched the last episodes of XYZ less than half a year ago because of the 5th anniversary of the Team Flare arc. Clemont only had the opportunity to inform to his friends that he fixed Clembot without its memories before the Gym Battle. We didn't have many onscreen moments of Clemont being affected after the Team Flare arc because that episode was very rushed with a lot of stuff happening very quickly.
You have to watch it again. Clemont was caught off guard when Clembot greeted him because he knew it’s previous version was gone. Then when he told the group that he couldn’t recover what was already lost, he was sad and disappointed. When the kid came to challenge the Gym, he sadly told the kid that Clembot wouldn’t remember him and wasn’t confident Clembot would give him the battle he wanted. The whole thing shook him up and he was pretty somber for majority of the episode.

Again, Clembot was an actual character that we can sympathize with. Goh’s picture debacle was kind of poorly handled, mainly because the only time we ever see him actually care about it was in that episode.

RafaSceptile

You have to watch it again. Clemont was caught off guard when Clembot greeted him because he knew it’s previous version was gone. Then when he told the group that he couldn’t recover what was already lost, he was sad and disappointed. When the kid came to challenge the Gym, he sadly told the kid that Clembot wouldn’t remember him and wasn’t confident Clembot would give him the battle he wanted. The whole thing shook him up and he was pretty somber for majority of the episode.

Again, Clembot was an actual character that we can sympathize with. Goh’s picture debacle was kind of poorly handled, mainly because the only time we ever see him actually care about it was in that episode.
What you mention is similar to how Goh looked affected by losing its data. There is no difference between Clemont and Goh in the sense of losing something they care about and had an important meaning for them.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
What you mention is similar to how Goh looked affected by losing its data. There is no difference between Clemont and Goh in the sense of losing something they care about and had an important meaning for them.
The big difference here is Goh losing something while Clemont lost someone

RafaSceptile

The big difference here is Goh losing something while Clemont lost someone
And "something" of big value for a particular person is not necessarily less valuable than "someone" of big value for another particular person.

So Goh crying because he lost "something" of big value for him doesn't make him a crybaby when Clemont crying because he lost "someone" of big value for him is apparently justificable.

Last edited:

Risrhayne

All di-STICK jokes aside, I did appreciate that this episode wasn’t another “Get the the girl from aggressive rival” schlockfest with the outcast Thwackey (that was a mouthful to say…). The trailer and few promotional images of the girl Thwackey with a Grookey made me think it was just Goh’s Grookey being carried around by her, but no, for once the POTD already had a wife and kid, he just lost his passion and his band simply noticed. No bullying going on here. So props to Pokémon not using the dead horse of a episode plot.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
And "something" of big value for a particular person is not necessarily less valuable than "someone" of big value for another particular person.

So Goh losing "something" of big value for him doesn't make him a crybaby when Clemont losing "someone" of big value for him is apparently justificable.
I'm not really arguing about saying that Goh being down is wrong since I haven't seen that episode, but losing a thing and losing a person are completely different things that cannot be comopared

RafaSceptile

I'm not really arguing about saying that Goh being down is wrong since I haven't seen that episode, but losing a thing and losing a person are completely different things that cannot be comopared
Not necessarily. For a particular person an object, a memory, etc. can be as valuable as a person, it is all subjective because we are talking about appreciation of different things. Just because something you loved is not alive doesn't mean you have less excuses to cry about losing it.

ValorSuga

Welp, looks like Cinderace is still gonna get ignored! :(

I’m thinking of making a Cinderace OC along with a fake regional Cinderace to make up for this series mistreatment!

Review:

This was a pretty slow-paced episode, at least in the beginning, and it picked up a bit. It was nice to see Grookey get some focus, though it was not done in a way that makes me think it will evolve, at least just yet. It was okay overall I guess.

What I loved about this was seeing Sirfetch'd. It seems we will see it next week and in Ash's next battle, which is something I am really looking forward to seeing, as I love ducks. I always love it when a member of Ash's team helps out in an episode, and of all of them, it was my boy the duck. Definitely improved the episode for me.

Final grade: 6/10.