• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ties That Bind! (271)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Damn so we saw on the PC that Gary owned Alakazam, Houndoom, Pinsir, Fearow, Kingdra, and Skarmory and yet he didn't even use them against Ash here.

I think most of those species of pokemon had shown up alot in past episodes any way, so Gary using stuff like Nidoqueen and Blastoise instead was refreshing from my perspective.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
These battles were improved here, however I felt Gary's character has declined since Johto. The flashback was obviously written in to explain Gary's future actions in the following episodes as foreshadowing, but I thought it was unrealistic.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I loved Satoshi's flashback about the Monster Ball halves even though it came out of nowhere just to boost the excitement of Satoshi versus Shigeru. The Rocket-dan's fake badge souvenir shop was amusing as well, and I chuckled when Hanako was shown taking photos during Nidoqueen's battle against Kentauros.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked how Ash proved how strong his Pokemon really are.

What bothered me was that many of the Pokemon that he brought with him to challenge Shigeru with were ones that he hardly trained himself, which took some meaning away from his accomplishment.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
Great start of the battle versus Gary! I loved the flashback, but I do feel a bit too much time was taken building up before the battle. This caused parts of the battle to really be rushed, like Tauros' defeat (and later Bayleef's).

I think it would've been wiser to keep Charizard a secret from the viewers, so when everyone expects Pikachu to be Ash's last Pokemon, he whips out Charizard. But oh well, it was still great!

Leonhart

Imagineer
BulleDeChagrin said:
but I do feel a bit too much time was taken building up before the battle. This caused parts of the battle to really be rushed, like Tauros' defeat (and later Bayleef's).

I agree that the pacing of the battle was too fast and it felt like the writers spent too much time padding out the episode by building up the drama between Satoshi and Shigeru, which they didn't need to do since we already knew that they had a fierce rivalry with each other.

Tauros got ousted quick, but Heracross is a beast!