• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Totem Pokémon is Gumshoos! (952)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Totem Pokémon is Gumshoos! (952)

The Totem Pokémon is Gumshoos!

As Rattata and Raticate cause trouble on the island, Ash decides to participate in the Island Trial Challenge. When meeting the Melemele Island Kahuna, Hala Ash says he is going to take on the trial, but Hala poses a question to him that Ash must answer before participating in it. Will Ash be able to answer the question and complete the trial?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So, Tapu Koko seems to steal the Z-Ring's from Hala's house and then gives them out to people. Ash's Z-Ring comes the same way.

Also while Ash and Kukui were talking to Hala, Tapu Koko came and stole another Z-Ring (most likely to give it to someone, maybe to possible rival of Ash?).

On another note, to me Hala's voice for some reason doesn't seem to fit his build.

Edit: Rowlet is quite smart, it used its 'Leafage' as cover to sneak in close to his opponent, which even surprised Ash.

Last edited:

Ominous Wind

Pretty good episode to start the year.

-Is this the first time Pikachu has used Iron Tail in SM? Anyway, usual moveset confirmed.

-I liked the teamwork between Rowlet and Pikachu

-Pikachu! They doubted you, but I've always believed!

-Ash gets Normalium Z from the Totem Pokemon. Z crystals are the new badges.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Pretty good episode to start the year.

-Is this the first time Pikachu has used Iron Tail in SM? Anyway, usual moveset confirmed.

-I liked the teamwork between Rowlet and Pikachu

-Pikachu! They doubted you, but I've always believed!

-Ash gets Normalium Z from the Totem Pokemon. Z crystals are the new badges.

I think he used Iron Tail in SM005 (cutting the net that had the Ride Pokemon in)

Holy157

Ok, so that Totem Gumshoos isn't a complete pushover, unlike the games. Makes one wonder how strong the other Totems will be and if their strength increases with each one.

Did the Totem Gumshoos use a Rock-type move on Rowlet?

Hala opened his eyes twice this episode. But man, that guy is strong if he can lift 4 logs at once.

Tapu Koko stole the Z-Ring. Huh, that's an interesting explaination on where it came from. Here's hoping Tapu Koko gets an active role soon, appearing in front of Ash again.

I found the opening part great, especially with Rockruff mimicking Pikachu and Kukui trying to look past Rotom. I'm believing he pointed out how Blast Burn is Ash's greatest weakness. Clearly, that has to be it.

I missed the part where everyone appeared in the classroom and Togedemaru was running around? Can someone explain it?

Like how they kept the animation for when someone obtains a Z-Crystal. Who will teach Ash the Z-Move though? Kukui?

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I found the opening part great, especially with Rowlet mimicking Pikachu and Kukui trying to look past Rotom. I'm believing he pointed out how Blast Burn is Ash's greatest weakness. Clearly, that has to be it.

I missed the first part :(.

But that "Blast Burn" part really cracked me up :D.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Nice episode! The battle with the Totem was really good. Rowlet finally got a win, knocking out the Yungoos!. Pikachu knocked out the Gumshoos and finally defeated the Totem Gumshoos in an intense battle. Rowlet got easily knocked out by the Totem Gumshoos, but that's OK. Ash gets Normalium-Z, as expected. The first episode of 2017 was really good. 9/10.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Thought you guys were joking about Blast Burn...mein guht.

Really good episode though. Can't decide whether I liked this one or the previous one more.

Totem Battles look fierce. It's a shame we only get to see six more :/

Also lol Ash, you can lift 55kg Pignite but not a simple log? Confirmed, Hala lifts.

Ominous Wind

Forgot to mention, but the but where Rowlet did something on his own during the battle was pretty nice. Even ash was surprised.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Thought you guys were joking about Blast Burn...mein guht.

Really good episode though. Can't decide whether I liked this one or the previous one more.

Totem Battles look fierce. It's a shame we only get to see six more :/

Also lol Ash, you can lift 55kg Pignite but not a simple log? Confirmed, Hala lifts.

It seems like Ash has to battle a Totem before battling a Kahuna. The trial captains don't seem to exist in the Anime. As there are four Kahunas, maybe there are only four Totem battles.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It seems like Ash has to battle a Totem before battling a Kahuna. The trial captains don't seem to exist in the Anime. As there are four Kahunas, maybe there are only four Totem battles.

Maybe, but on Akala and Ula'ula, there are three and two trials respectively. I'm going to be disappointed if it is just four Totems, considering that previous regions have always had 8 gyms for Ash to account for each game released.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Maybe, but on Akala and Ula'ula, there are three and two trials respectively. I'm going to be disappointed if it is just four Totems, considering that previous regions have always had 8 gyms for Ash to account for each game released.

Well, if you count Totem battles+Kahuna battles, then there are 8 battles. So it's not that short all-totally.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Battle was amazing and intense, is that final Gumshoos like Mountain level? He threw the rock at Pikachu and it looked like nuclear bomb.
Definitely the best episode so far.I knew that Sun and Moon will start getting better and better after New Year.
Also, this is the best battle so far. I hope Hala vs Ash surpasses it.

Also Pikachu is OP af. He uses QA and it looked like he's sound speed or so.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I'm actually loving the fact that the Pokeball returned to Ash.

Oh and Rowlet being a scene stealer as always.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
What were the moves that the Yungoos and Totem Gumshoos used? I'm assuming they used Crunch and Sand Attack. Pikachu and Rowlet barely escaped the Crunch attacks.

Last edited:

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Why do I have the feeling that Rowlet will end up as this series' Oshawott...

Otherwise, good episode, Pikachu's on fire as it seems. I just hope that Ash soon catches Litten or another Pokemon as his 3rd, so we can have the rematch vs Hala as a 3v3 (I doubt he'll win at the first try).