• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Totem Pokémon is Gumshoos! (952)

DS0308

<--- Actually me
I get the feeling that the Blast Burn comment was Kukui doing one of his sayings like "your passion burns as intense as a Blast Burn" or whatever. The Togedemaru thing was probably because it got excited that they figured something out relating to Ash's problem? Which was the question Hala asked him? They were looking at Rattata and Raticate in the Dex and the relationship with Yungoos and Gumshoos came up sooo...

Some of those transitions where a random Pokemon appeared just seemed, well, random. Especially the Haunter one, that was completely unnecessary. Likewise TR were unnecessary but they did give us some funny Bewear footage, it's literally punching them in the face to feed them lol.

The summaries made the Rattata and Raticate seem more important than what they were although it was kinda funny watching the Yungoos/Gumshoos trio just beat the crap out of the several hundred of them.

The totem battle was fairly good with the strategy but it seemed to end really quickly. I understand that Totem Gumshoos took like ten million Quick Attacks and then a Thunderbolt but still, just felt like we could've seen more of it's destructive power than what we got. Even it's goons went down pretty easily, I think they only took one hit?

Hala's pretty similar to what I expected, the voice seems fine but maybe it's not quite as deep as what I wanted. Haven't seen any translations of what he was saying so maybe he actually explained why Tapu Koko is just jacking all his Z-Rings. Speaking of the Koko it's rather interesting that it was watching the trial, don't know what that means for Ash in the future.

I had issues with some things here although I still liked the episode.

Janovy

Banned
One thing that makes Rowlet different from Oshawott is that Oshawott likes to act all high and mighty but often hides behind Pikachu when it gets serious. Also Oshawott likes to hog all the screentime.

In comparison, Rowlet just hides in a bag, doesn't feel the need to steal Pikachu's glory, comes out when it has to and doesn't hide behind Pikachu when it has to fight.

So far...Rowlet > Oshawott.

snorlax512

I haven't watched the episode yet and don't wanna get spoiled but did someone actually remind Ash of the "blasto burn"? xD

Holy157

I really hope each Totem has its own strategy, like how the Totem Gumshoos used the sand (Sand Attack?) in order to hinder Ash and his Pokemon.

While I believe my interpretation of the Blast Burn line is correct, but if someone who actually understood what was said could enlighten me what Kukui said would be appreciated.

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
The big takeaway people should get from this episode is the fact that Ash managed to take down the trial on his first attempt. That says a lot about how he's grown as a trainer and character. Sure, Rowlet lost, but I wasn't expecting both him and Pikachu to walk away unscaved.

Plus, Rowlet's still young in terms of being a team member. He'll get his chance. With the next episode centering around Ash against Hala, I'm eager to see if Rowlet can help Ash pull off a victory.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The only thing I don't get is what was going on at the school scene. I got that the gang was trying to help Ash figure out Hala's riddle, but I don't know why they were so surprised & shocked about it

valvenya

Ash should've got PTSD flashbacks when Kukui said "Blast Burn".

Did I understand correctly? TR wants to blast off again, but Bewear just doesn't let them do it? That's kinda sad.

Good episode. Rowlett really has some speed and tries stealth attacks. I think it is going to evolve and this won't be another Oshawott situation.

mega snorlax

Right from the start, Rowlet didn't look to be like another Oshawott. Unlike Oshawott, Rowlett actually showed some real battling talents, and showed more potential. It's not as selfish, arrogant and actually has a lot more passion.

DatsRight

Rowlet seems more like a character that spends most of it's time goofing off, but can get serious and formidable when the time truly requires it. Someone that's easy to underestimate. A good Pokemon to represent Ash's characterisation this series really (ie. goofball but still very competent in his own niches).

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Did I understand correctly? TR wants to blast off again, but Bewear just doesn't let them do it? That's kinda sad.
Blast off withdrawal? They've become addicted to it? That's both hilarious and sad.

<><><>

I am a bit surprised that they seemed to go against the lore that the Tapus are the source of the Z rings (or at least can find unrefined ones), but then again in the games the Tapus simply provide the stones that the kahunas then have to forge into wearable rings. Perhaps Tapu Koko didn't so much steal the Z ring as much as take back one it had given to Hala in the past, as it needed one that was in a state that Ash could wear.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, now we know how Tapu Koko got the Z-Ring and Electrium-Z it gave to Ash; it stole it (or took it back) from Hala's inventory. Interesting to note that Hala's inventory included Z-Crystals of various types. That could imply that Kahunas don't always give out Z-Rings of their specialty type, which may explain why Kiawe got the Firium-Z, rather than the Rockium-Z, when he passed Olivia's Grand Trial. However, it's also possible that Hala takes whatever Z-Crystals he finds (or that Tapu Koko finds) and forges them into wearable Z-Rings, but he only gives out Fightinium-Z to challengers who pass his Grand Trial. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

Speaking of Hala... That is one bad*** grandpa. He doesn't look like it, but the man definitely lifts, if he was able to pick up four logs at once with no problem, LOL. He also gives off the air of a wise old man who commands respect, but is still very approachable. I'm looking forward to seeing how he battles, and I hope we see him again after his Grand Trial episode(s).

I really enjoyed the battle against Totem Gumshoos. It was portrayed pretty much as I'd hoped it would be - a very tough wild Pokémon battle with hints of an official Trainer match. Totem Gumshoos came off as a legitimate challenge. These Totem Pokémon are not going to be pushovers. It was sweet of Ash (and very in character for him) to make sure Totem Gumshoos was okay after he defeated it. Hala looked pleasantly surprised by that.

Both Pikachu and Rowlet really shined here. Rowlet may have lost, but it put up a really good fight. It is such an airhead (even still being asleep when summoned from its Pokéball, LOL!), but it really gets its act together and shows some cleverness in battle. Crouching Airhead, Hidden Bad***, anyone? :p

It's interesting that Hala was surprised Totem Gumshoos had a Normalium-Z. For a second, I was starting to think the anime was going to go with the Totem Pokémon, rather than the Trial Captains, presenting victorious challengers with the Z-Crystals, but apparently, this was unusual. I'm assuming Tapu Koko had something to do with that. Hala, Ash is not that mysterious of a boy. He is just being stalked has just caught the fancy of your island's guardian deity.

I liked how Ash's friends volunteered to help him. I didn't quite understand everything being said, but it appeared Kiawe was the one who encouraged Ash to share with the rest what Hala had asked him. That was actually rather surprising (I would have expected Mallow to do that).

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Why would Kukui even say Ash's greatest weakness is Blast Burn?

So the Tapu don't have the rings with themselves anymore, but the Kahunas are the only ones handing them out...unless the Tapu pilfer them from the kahunas. Ha ha.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Right from the start, Rowlet didn't look to be like another Oshawott. Unlike Oshawott, Rowlett actually showed some real battling talents, and showed more potential. It's not as selfish, arrogant and actually has a lot more passion.

Eh, no. I mean, I'm the first to mock Unova Ash's (strength-wise) pathetic Pokemon, but Oshawott was portrayed as a very skilled and strong Pokemon at the beginning. Then the writers just decided to screw it over, and turned him into a joke for the sake of marketing.

Rowlet, on the other side, is portrayed to be a clumsy jobber until now, the only time it shined was when it acted on its own today. Also, SM Ash is actually a skilled trainer, and not a mumbling idiot as he was in BW.

Anyways, it's just ep 9 after all, so it's too soon with such predictions, I just think they won't let it evolve and let it be the "cute guy" of the team, with Litten being the star.

dman_dustin

Rowlet, on the other side, is portrayed to be a clumsy jobber until now, the only time it shined was when it acted on its own today. Also, SM Ash is actually a skilled trainer, and not a mumbling idiot as he was in BW.

No.

Oshawott depends on whether he's been scared or has his Scalchop has been knocked off to take a battle seriously. If he's not scared, has his Scalchop, he doesn't battle like an idiot. And that's not taking into account Oshawott's standby personality.

While Rowlet has displayed personality that could be seen as a "clumsy jobber" only when not battling.

Every time Rowlet has fought, Rowlet has always been serious and has shown to be a fighter in those instances.

-Saving Pikachu from the net in Rowlet's capture. Using Leafage as a shield against Mimikyu and saving his family.

- Saving Pikachu from a ledge in the Sophocles-centric episode, and fighting.

- Rowlet vs Oriocorio, showing normal fighting spirit usually seen among Ash's Pokemon even knowing how to respond to Ash's command and counter Mirror Move sending Oricorio away.

- And especially in this episode. With amazing battling skills and tactics, just a victim of not being strong enough.

So no, Rowlet has only shown to be a clumsy jobber ONLY when he's NOT fighting and is completely different to how he does fight. There are clearly two different "Personalities" as some Pokemon do have. Battling Personality and Standby (not battling) personality.

Rowlet definitely has a strong "battling" personality.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I like the crouching airhead, hidden bad*** vibe that was coined by Satomine for Rowlet.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Damn Ratatta and Raticate being a menace, eating those Pineapples! And yeah, Hala must be the strongest person on the island to be able to carry 4 logs, I wouldn't want to get into a fight with that guy lol. I also liked how they showed exactly where Tapu Koko got the Bracelet from (was wondering about that for a while). The battle was pretty good, glad to see Rowlet get a victory. I had to laugh though at its entrance, the expression on Ash and Pikachu's face when they saw it was sleeping was funny, and then Rowlet's reaction after when it seen wth was happening atm lol.

So what was the deal with TRio's whole minute of screentime, to tell us how Bewear is still trolling them? I mean if that's the case, then I would've liked to seen that minute added onto the battle or given to the classmates because they're more interesting imo and I enjoy their interaction (Lillie and her egg are still cute btw). :)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
So what was the deal with TRio's whole minute of screentime, to tell us how Bewear is still trolling them? I mean if that's the case, then I would've liked to seen that minute added onto the battle or given to the classmates because they're more interesting imo and I enjoy their interaction (Lillie and her egg are still cute btw). :)

I agree, although I will admit to doing a spit take to that blast off fake out.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Damn Ratatta and Raticate being a menace, eating those Pineapples!

Eating pineapples is serious business, you know - the sign of a true infestation! Those pineapple-eating rats must be stopped at all costs!

To remind the audience that Team Rocket is still in this series and they are still being stalked by Bewear? I hope we eventually learn why Bewear has such an obsession with the TRio that it goes out of its way to retrieve them whenever they manage to escape from it. Seriously, what is the deal with this giant teddy bear?

Janovy

Banned
Seriously, what is the deal with this giant teddy bear?
That's what Team Rocket is wondering as well.

I assume the writers are intentionally setting it up as a mystery because I believe in their scene they were wondering about it as well.