• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Totem Pokémon is Gumshoos! (952)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I thought the way the totem battle was decent enough. It's definitely refreshing than gym battles.

Janovy

Banned

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
The minute Rowlet becomes the true Brave Heart Battler that he displays but lacks the power to commit to will be the shining moment of the Sun and Moon anime. Reach your full potential you little scamp, reach you full potential and soar to new heights

Xuxuba

Kind of sad how the actual totem pokemon only appeared when the episode was nearly over.

I hope the next totem battles will last longer than this.

Last edited:

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Pretty decent battle. I'm glad Rowlet is shown to be a very capable battler while being clumsy and comedic outside of battle. SM Ash also seems to be a very respectable trainer, always thinking one step ahead and reacting properly to certain situations.

DatsRight

Don't worry. An Ash's Noivern will he not be. Well, right now, it has that status.

Either way Rowlet's at least starting at Noivern's final level (ie. a loser but a strong one) and even beaten an official opponent that wasn't Team Rocket or some jobber antagonist, while Noivern had to get it's miracle evolution just to reach that (Noibat's skill level was barely existent).

Anyway this episode was pretty good, though I'll need subs to get the gist of all of it since there was a lot of heavy conversation scenes. After the complaints of lack of battling it seems we're getting a small marathon of official battles, and they're showing Ash's skill level. It did seem like they might have been some 'dodge' spamming here, though there was at least actual strategy to balance it. Pikachu using Quick Attack almost came off as a cool advantage play on how slow most of the Alolan Pokemon are.

The side plot was a clever way to include both Totem Pokemon from the two games. Liked how Gumshoos was almost playing the role of a gym leader. Ash worrying he was too hard on it, only for it to roughly shove him off and do a 'Stop pitying me and take your damn badge already!' act. Ash still seemed to get on it's good side by pointing out some fresh Ratatta meat though.

TR's cameo was superfluous but not unwelcome. I'm fine having these sort of quick random humorous roles over the upteenth ten second interruption and curb stomp like we got in XY(Z). The writers seemed to have at least learned one thing; many fans like TR, but not at the expense of the twerps' storyline.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Oh, Ash. Don't be stupid. You don't have enough strength to...

Uh... Well, used to have enough strength.

This means one of two things: he let himself go or Alolan trees are heavier than Hoenn trees.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Anyway this episode was pretty good, though I'll need subs to get the gist of all of it since there was a lot of heavy conversation scenes. After the complaints of lack of battling it seems we're getting a small marathon of official battles, and they're showing Ash's skill level. It did seem like they might have been some 'dodge' spamming here, though there was at least actual strategy to balance it. Pikachu using Quick Attack almost came off as a cool advantage play on how slow most of the Alolan Pokemon are.

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't think I once heard Ash say, "Kawase!" ("Dodge!"), which is a nice change. Instead, he was specific: he told Pikachu to evade and Rowlet to fly up. I suppose that's in the realm of "dodge spamming," but it's strategic dodge spamming, and he only did it once.

The side plot was a clever way to include both Totem Pokemon from the two games. Liked how Gumshoos was almost playing the role of a gym leader. Ash worrying he was too hard on it, only for it to roughly shove him off and do a 'Stop pitying me and take your damn badge already!' act. Ash still seemed to get on it's good side by pointing out some fresh Ratatta meat though.

That's one reason I really liked this Totem Pokémon battle: the Totem Gumshoos came off as a cross between a traditional Gym Leader and an extremely powerful wild Pokémon, and the battle felt like a cross between an official match and a wild Pokémon battle. Hala even officiated. I hope the rest of the Totem Pokémon battles follow in the footsteps of this one, because if so, I think I'm really going to enjoy these.

This means one of two things: he let himself go or Alolan trees are heavier than Hoenn trees.

I'm just going to assume Alolan trees are heavier than Hoenn trees. All that Alolan sunshine and good weather has got to count for something, you know. :p

DatsRight

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't think I once heard Ash say, "Kawase!" ("Dodge!"), which is a nice change. Instead, he was specific: he told Pikachu to evade and Rowlet to fly up. I suppose that's in the realm of "dodge spamming," but it's strategic dodge spamming, and he only did it once.

Even 'Dodge left/right' or 'Dodge with Fly/Dig' is at least a less laughable command than what simply amounts to 'Don't get hit!' so yeah. This is a good sign if so, 'Dodge' spamming in the anime got really cheap and dull after a short while, so even just a small strategic upgrade to the command like that sticking would make all the difference and make the trainers look far more clever.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Even 'Dodge left/right' or 'Dodge with Fly/Dig' is at least a less laughable command than what simply amounts to 'Don't get hit!' so yeah. This is a good sign if so, 'Dodge' spamming in the anime got really cheap and dull after a short while, so even just a small upgrade to the command like that sticking would make all the difference and make the trainers look far more clever.

Given that, so far, SM Ash has proven to be rather strategic in battle, I have hopes that pointless dodge spamming shall be permanently replaced with strategic dodge spamming.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

Oh, Ash. Don't be stupid. You don't have enough strength to...

Uh... Well, used to have enough strength.

Kek.

To be fair, Ash's (& practically everyone else's) strength has always been inconsistent. The actual weight of something was always ignored due to each situation. In SM, now he's realistic.

Last edited: