• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Totem Pokémon is Gumshoos! (952)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Oh hey, that's the kind of voice I thought Hala would have. They better cast somebody good for Olivia and Nanu, don't give a damn who voices Hapu.
And I swear sometimes Mallow sounds like Tara Strong..... betting Meowth's actor was voicing the Rattata, they sounded like him when Yongoose was attacking them.
So the dub in the US will be on track with other countries next Saturday for the first time in.... forever. Canada or whatever country it was, was always a week ahead starting at some point in XY so I never even watched it on CN.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Just got round to watching the dub.

Hadn't expected Hala to have such a deep voice. I think it suits him.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
And I swear sometimes Mallow sounds like Tara Strong..... betting Meowth's actor was voicing the Rattata, they sounded like him when Yongoose was attacking them.

Mallow's English voice is Jessica Paquet. She may not be Tara Strong, but she definitely does a very Tara-like impression.

Vipsoccermaster

The ninth episode of Sun & Moon, focusing on Ash meeting Hala and taking on the Trial in Verdant Cavern, aired today in the United States. Episode was pretty great all around. The battle was good, too, just what you expect from a Totem Pokémon. Also Sophocles, learn your manners! You don't go interrupting Ash on something Hala tasked Ash on! Props to Lana to stop Sophocles!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This episode was not that good to me.

It's been like six days and that's enough for people to overreact to Ash's unusual antics? Come on.

It felt like there wasn't enough of the rampaging Rattata. In fact, it looked like they just appeared in one place and then just...vanished. There wasn't a real havoc in the island all over the place and was all just implied to have happened.

Wow. What a voice, Hala. Did Tapu Koko take another Z-Ring with him?

The second half just felt rushed all over. By the time the Totem came out, Rowlet was taken down easily, and then it takes a few Quick Attack blows and a Thunderbolt to bring it down. So much for the powerful Totem of the island... And then we see what it does at the warehouse, utterly wrecking stuff apart with its two servants (and miraculously fully healed). What a disparity. It was an army against three people.

I dislike how the trial was structured. Ilima apparently doesn't exist, Double Battles are allowed, the Totem Pokemon doesn't even bother to call for backup but lets Ash pick on it 2-on-1 (only to make Rowlet sort of the fall guy against it to show that, yes, it is a threat), and all you need to clear the trial is fight Pokemon without doing anything that relates to nature itself (after how the previous episodes established how nature is a big part of things...BUT NO LET'S BATTLE)... Also, what the hell? No implication if the adults would solve the issue themselves? Were they just waiting for Ash to do it all?

...Hala, don't get excited. This kid isn't all that. You'll see. (I don't know what to say to that scene being a rare thing for a Totem to hand over the Z-Crystal personally.)

Mallow's English voice is Jessica Paquet. She may not be Tara Strong, but she definitely does a very Tara-like impression.

She's like... .5 percent of what Tara can pull off. Ha ha.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Tara Strong voicing all the characters (using her voices for Omi, Raven, Timmy Turner, Ben Tennyson and Harley Quinn as a few examples) would be AMAZING :D

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Professor Kukui: You're so fired up you look like you were hit with a Blast Burn.

Me: Don't remind me of XY&Z38

The minute Rowlet becomes the true Brave Heart Battler that he displays but lacks the power to commit to will be the shining moment of the Sun and Moon anime. Reach your full potential you little scamp, reach you full potential and soar to new heights

"you little scamp"

wrong starter based on episode titles

Canada or whatever country it was, was always a week ahead starting at some point in XY so I never even watched it on CN.

No, I think it was leaking a week early on iTunes, not in another country

Did Tapu Koko take another Z-Ring with him?

I think that was a flashback showing when he stole Ash's. It was night in that scene, and day when Hala, Kukui, and Ash were talking

and all you need to clear the trial is fight Pokemon without doing anything that relates to nature itself

No because the nature part was figuring out that Yungoos and Gumshoos are Rattata and Raticate's natural predators. So that came first before the battle.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Huh, so Ash is actually participating in the Island Trial? That's a pleasant surprise, though I'm not sure how that's supposed to work when he's not traveling across the region. Perhaps he'll give up this whole school thing in favor of the Trial? That would be nice. Anyways, the battle with Totem Gumshoos was interesting, but was very lacking when compared to the traditional gym battle. A battle witha gym leader is normally a drawn out event that lasts an entire episode and is epic in scale. This was just a scuffle that lasted all of a minute. Hopefully that was just this one, and they'll make it better in the future.

And on the Team Rocket front, it's as if the writers knew I would be complaining about the lack of real blast offs. The fact that I've been disappointed about them not blasting off, and that scene acted like Team Rocket themselves where disappointed as well, was so hilarious to me that it might just be one of my favorite Team Rocket joke scenes of all time. Though, if they're making jokes like that, then it really does confirm that Team Rocket won't be blasting off at all in Alola.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Which felt kind of cheap, because Ash got help from people instead of finding out by himself.

I guess but that's exactly why in episode 10 Ash says "I couldn't have done it without my friends"

I think using all resources available to you is smart not cheating, and Hala even says as much when Ash tells him that he has to admit he used his friends

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I didn't expect Hala to sound so Sage like and I was expecting him to much more joyful but I think this voice works too.

The trial itself was intriguing. I thought the first battle between the yungoos, Gumshoos and Ash was much better than the Totem Gumshoos ones. The Totem battle felt very rushed and it made the first battle appear to be the more important one. It was interesting for the trial to mix in with the problem on the island thought and I wonder if this will be a theme going forward for further trails.

Ok episode, onto the next one!

A fun episode.

COMMENTS:

- I don't know how to feel about the lack of Trial Captains. Maybe they are not necessary here? It's kinda disappointing.

- I enjoyed the Totem Battle, but I thought it could have been just a tiny bit longer. I did enjoy Ash being smart and using his surroundings to one-shot the Totem with Pikachu.

- Well, Tapu Koko is here again, and it still seems to be very interested in Ash, judging by what Hala said.

- Bewear literally stopped Team Rocket from blasting off. WTF????

Not bad, I'm happy we are getting more battles.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thoroughly enjoyed how strong Hala was when he lifted that huge log on his own when Satoshi couldn't. I also found it somewhat amusing that Kapu-Kokeko was observing Satoshi's battle against the Totem Dekagoos, and how the Dekagoos and its allies were used to scare off the Koratta and Ratta infestation on the island.