• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Totodile Duel (153)

Champion Jared 14

Looking back on the Johto series, and comparing how much Ash battled with Bayleef and Cyndaquil and the others compared to Totodile, I realize that Totodile wasn't really used that much...Not much for any of his major matches anyways....I disagree with the decision to let Ash have Totodile...it would've been better off with Misty...

Ash hasn't really called on it since he caught it for major matches, and at least with Misty it probably would be a Feraligatr now so...

hever

022611229PM
Totodile's voice is hecka gross, IMO. But whatever, it's still somewhat cute. Didn't really feel this episode.

I liked the outcome of the episode: Misty happy with Poliwhirl and Ash happy with Totodile. It was funny how Ash and Misty were fighting about it, and Togepi defeating Pikachu. When I saw this one for the first time, when Brock took the Lure Ball which contained Totodile, I thought he was going to keep Totodile himself... Ash and Misty had a good battle, it was nice to see them battling. All in all, great episode, just like all Jotho ones, 10/10.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Looking back on the Johto series, and comparing how much Ash battled with Bayleef and Cyndaquil and the others compared to Totodile, I realize that Totodile wasn't really used that much...Not much for any of his major matches anyways....I disagree with the decision to let Ash have Totodile...it would've been better off with Misty...

Ash hasn't really called on it since he caught it for major matches, and at least with Misty it probably would be a Feraligatr now so...

Totodile was alittle too wacky for Misty. She already had high blood pressure with Psyduck.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
It's Pichu!
It was so not fair of Ash to use them Pokémon against Misty. After Poliwag evolved, I thought it would have been more fair for Misty to have won. She should have won that Totodile. :< But for someone who doesn't battle a lot, she sure was a good opponent.

Blessed

I love this episode!! nice to see Ash and Misty renew their rivalry, that began when they first met, and seeing Totodile, such a cute water pokemon was nice. Although to be honest, I think Misty should have kept Totodile. Why should Ash have all the starters? & second of all it's rotting in Oak's lab right now. If Misty had it she would train it to be strong & love it more than Ash would. But at least didn't make her sad about it, since her Poliwag evolved.

?

If Misty got Totodile, it would have gotten even less screen time and rot even more.

pokemon fan 132

?

If Misty got Totodile, it would have gotten even less screen time and rot even more.

Not really. In that case she probably wouldn't catch Corsola with Totodile getting same amount of focus like her most active pokemon Corsola and Poliwhirl did. Which received more or less equal amount of focus as Ash Totodile did.

I think it was mistake to give Ash all three starters in Johto competing with his Kanto trio, which resulted in underdeveloped and poorly handled Johto team.

At least with Misty Totodile would have get better training since she is water trainer with water types being her specialty(Poliwhirl had bigger win record than Ash Totodile in JOhto), and actually have chance to evolve considering how it would likely be used in gym battles gaining experience. As opposite to rotting at Oaks lab.

Not really. In that case she probably wouldn't catch Corsola with Totodile getting same amount of focus like her most active pokemon Corsola and Poliwhirl did. Which received more or less equal amount of focus as Ash Totodile did.

I think it was mistake to give Ash all three starters in Johto competing with his Kanto trio, which resulted in underdeveloped and poorly handled Johto team.

At least with Misty Totodile would have get better training since she is water trainer with water types being her specialty(Poliwhirl had bigger win record than Ash Totodile in JOhto), and actually have chance to evolve considering how it would likely be used in gym battles gaining experience. As opposite to rotting at Oaks lab.

Well as we saw with Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard, Ash having all 3 starters can be done and it could be brilliant as well. The Kanto starters are the ones everyone remembers. I think the writers did a really great job with those 3. They each had their own personalities and focus and you could really get the sense that Ash had a strong bond with them. So the writers did a great job there especially with Charizard. Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't evolve but they didn't have to. People fell so in love with Bulbasaur and Squirtle that you never heard people say, "why didn't Ash make them evolve?!" I guess you heard some of that but not much. Now I didn't watch Johto in awhile so I won't judge but the reason his Johto Pokemon were handled poorly is probably because Ash still had his Kanto starters with him. I mean in THE JOHTO SEASON, it was Ash's Kanto Pokemon Charizard that won Ash his first badge, last badge, beat Gary, battled Entei and fought with Blaziken. I loved that honestly because I am such a Charizard fan so of course I didn't mind it. But when you have the writers giving Charizard the big wins in Johto, it takes something away from his Johto Pokemon. It makes it look like the writers didn't care about them as much as Charizard which I'm sure they cared for Charizard way more. But the point is with a series as long as Johto, Ash having 3 starter Pokemon could work if the writers did their job. Like I said, I didn't see Johto in awhile so I won't really say if the writers did their job or not. Although I will say it is kinda strange how Cyndaquill ended up evolving in Sinnoh. They had time to evolve him in Johto. Little strange to me. No big deal. But Cyndaquill evolving is a huge thing. It would have been awesome if it happened in Johto and then Quilava was a force in the Johto League. I mean if the writers are gonna evolve Ash's Pokemon especially a starter Pokemon like Cyndaquill, it makes sense for it to be in Johto since Ash is with Quilava. Quilava appeared in Sinnoh but at that point, Ash didn't travel with Quilava so we didn't really get to have to many episodes with Quilava like we did with Bayleef since Quilava quickly got sent back to Oak after he battled in the Sinnoh League and Quilava didn't even get to battle against Tobias.

Misty should have gotten it, deal.

Wouldn't have changed anything. Sorry. Besides, she already has an *** full of water pokemon. She can use them.

Wouldn't have changed anything. Sorry. Besides, she already has an *** full of water pokemon. She can use them.

Yeah and we all know that the writers were gonna give Ash a water Pokemon every region. I think Ash still had Squirtle when he got Totodile. I think he did. Not too sure though. But Ash needed a water type since Squirtle left in Johto anyway. It didn't necessarily have to be Totodile but since at that point in the show they always gave Ash the starters it made sense. Sicne then, the writers made it a point that Ash doesn't need to always get the starters. Atleast they made it that way in Hoenn and Sinnoh.

pokemon fan 132

It would because looking long term Totodile would have received more training and development if stayed with Misty due to likely being used for gym battles. Which would increase his chances for evolution, as well probably having more wins in Johto than it did under Ash command. If Poliwhirl or Corsola were anything to go by.

What purpose dos it serve currently rotting at Oaks lab?

It would because looking long term Totodile would have received more training and development if stayed with Misty due to likely being used for gym battles. Which would increase his chances for evolution, as well probably having more wins in Johto than it did under Ash command. If Poliwhirl or Corsola were anything to go by.

What purpose dos it serve currently rotting at Oaks lab?

What if he gave it to Misty before he left for Hoenn when they were saying goodbye. Kinda like when James gave Cacnea to Gardenia so Cacnea could get stronger? Misty could then use Totodile for her gym battles.

Well as we saw with Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard, Ash having all 3 starters can be done and it could be brilliant as well. The Kanto starters are the ones everyone remembers. I think the writers did a really great job with those 3. They each had their own personalities and focus and you could really get the sense that Ash had a strong bond with them. So the writers did a great job there especially with Charizard. Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't evolve but they didn't have to. People fell so in love with Bulbasaur and Squirtle that you never heard people say, "why didn't Ash make them evolve?!" I guess you heard some of that but not much. Now I didn't watch Johto in awhile so I won't judge but the reason his Johto Pokemon were handled poorly is probably because Ash still had his Kanto starters with him. I mean in THE JOHTO SEASON, it was Ash's Kanto Pokemon Charizard that won Ash his first badge, last badge, beat Gary, battled Entei and fought with Blaziken. I loved that honestly because I am such a Charizard fan so of course I didn't mind it. But when you have the writers giving Charizard the big wins in Johto, it takes something away from his Johto Pokemon. It makes it look like the writers didn't care about them as much as Charizard which I'm sure they cared for Charizard way more. But the point is with a series as long as Johto, Ash having 3 starter Pokemon could work if the writers did their job. Like I said, I didn't see Johto in awhile so I won't really say if the writers did their job or not. Although I will say it is kinda strange how Cyndaquill ended up evolving in Sinnoh. They had time to evolve him in Johto. Little strange to me. No big deal. But Cyndaquill evolving is a huge thing. It would have been awesome if it happened in Johto and then Quilava was a force in the Johto League. I mean if the writers are gonna evolve Ash's Pokemon especially a starter Pokemon like Cyndaquill, it makes sense for it to be in Johto since Ash is with Quilava. Quilava appeared in Sinnoh but at that point, Ash didn't travel with Quilava so we didn't really get to have to many episodes with Quilava like we did with Bayleef since Quilava quickly got sent back to Oak after he battled in the Sinnoh League and Quilava didn't even get to battle against Tobias.

Cyndaquil not evolving in Johto wasn't really that much of a big deal since he was a really powerful pokemon ,people were ok with him not evolving in Johto and Totodile going with Ash was a good move because Totodile still became a strong pokemon. Cyndaquil evolving later in Sinnoh should not had happen and the only reason why he evolve was for them to promote the HeartGold and SoulSilver games. I'm pretty sure a lot of people said why Bulbasaur and Squritle did not evolve but they were ok with them not evolving, a lot of people didn't mind that Cyndaquil and Totodile did not evolve in Johto since they were ok it. Ash taking the Kanto pokemon with him to Johto was the best move the writers ever made,even though Ash still had his kanto Pokemon the Johto Pokemon were handled perfectly well.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash's Johto team was handled horribly. Everyone wanted Cyndaquil and Totodile to evolve in Johto, where have you been the last 10 years?

Ash's Johto team was handled horribly. Everyone wanted Cyndaquil and Totodile to evolve in Johto, where have you been the last 10 years?

Not everyone wanted Cyndaquil are Totodile to evolve? You seem to forgot everyone has different opinions on wether the Johto team was handled poorly are not.