• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Trinity League

Do you think the Counter Rule should state "4 or more counters"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
E6zacU8.png

Challenger Application
Username/Nickname: Aoki
Challenge motivation: Test my skills
Favourite Pokémon & favourite type: Gengar and water
I'm a little late to this, but application accepted! Welcome~

Welcome :)

Challenger's name: Aoki
Leader Type & Owner: Poison / Cutty
Team used against Triad/Facility: Garchomp, Ferothorn, Latias, Rotom W, Scizor, Thundurus
Challenger Result:win 4-1
Rate your performance: 6/10
Rate opponent's performance: 8/10
Comments about the match: Prolly my worst performance so far <.> I dunno if your team counter to Marashu's Grass Gym. Let him decide.

Wait... Your team is actually counter to my Poison team but its already too late. You won my Radioactive badge unless Marashu reject your team... Been awhile since my last challenger #rusty

Gym is Closed.
Actually, his team is also a counter to Marashu's gym. While he may have won your badge, he'll still be forced to re-challenge you for the badge because he'll be asked to make changes to his team. As of right now, his earning of your badge doesn't count until he uses a non-counter team.

challenger: amazinhazen
leader Type & Owner: LC/ dragontamer
Team used against Triad/Facility: Gastly, Ferroseed, Honedge, Houndour, Carvanha, Pawniard
Challenger Result:loss 1-0
Rate your performance: 8/10
Comments about the match:Misplay on my Pawniard and lack of foresight on one of your poke's moves cost me

Aoki

Want to battle??
I'm a little late to this, but application accepted! Welcome~

Actually, his team is also a counter to Marashu's gym. While he may have won your badge, he'll still be forced to re-challenge you for the badge because he'll be asked to make changes to his team. As of right now, his earning of your badge doesn't count until he uses a non-counter team.

I already offered a rematch. he said not to worry about it. I believed I used 3-4 pokemon within the match as i had a mini sweep midway. Also, saying I need to change my team without telling me what pokes I have that are a direct counter to his isn't fair to me.

I already offered a rematch. he said not to worry about it. I believed I used 3-4 pokemon within the match as i had a mini sweep midway. Also, saying I need to change my team without telling me what pokes I have that are a direct counter to his isn't fair to me.
As an outside observer here, the main problem seems that it isn't you used a CT against Cutty, because he didnt notice, but that by the rules of this league, you have to use the same team in the entire triad, and, therefore would also be a CT to the grass gym, which you haven't faced yet. One of the first things I do when building a team is make sure I don't have a counterteam, so I feel it's the responsibility of the person building the team. However, these are your direct counters to that triad:

Poison: Garchomp(STAB Ground SE against poison), Ferrothorn (Steel immune to poison), Latias (STAB Psychic SE Against Poison), Scizor (Immune to poison) (4 counters - CT)
Grass: Ferrothorn (2x Resistance to grass), Latias (2x Resistance to grass), Scizor (4x resistance to grass), Thundurus (2x resistance to grass) (4 counters - CT)
Ice: Ferrothorn (STAB Steel SE against Ice), Rotom-W (2x resistance to Ice), Scizor(2x resistance to ice) (3 counters - OK)

So the only gym in that triad your current team is not CTing is the ice gym

Aoki

Want to battle??
As an outside observer here, the main problem seems that it isn't you used a CT against Cutty, because he didnt notice, but that by the rules of this league, you have to use the same team in the entire triad, and, therefore would also be a CT to the grass gym, which you haven't faced yet. One of the first things I do when building a team is make sure I don't have a counterteam, so I feel it's the responsibility of the person building the team. However, these are your direct counters to that triad:

Poison: Garchomp(STAB Ground SE against poison), Ferrothorn (Steel immune to poison), Latias (STAB Psychic SE Against Poison), Scizor (Immune to poison) (4 counters - CT)
Grass: Ferrothorn (2x Resistance to grass), Latias (2x Resistance to grass), Scizor (4x resistance to grass), Thundurus (2x resistance to grass) (4 counters - CT)
Ice: Ferrothorn (STAB Steel SE against Ice), Rotom-W (2x resistance to Ice), Scizor(2x resistance to ice) (3 counters - OK)

So we can't have any type of advantage then. I don't mind changing my team, but what you're saying is I can't use a pokemon if it has an offensive advantage or defensive. I understand ferro and scizor being counters, but they are also two very popular pokemon. If you run a mono team and don't expect to run into them then there is a problem somewhere. Not to mention all his pokemon aren't just poison. He had two wildcards and most of the others had second typing. Same would go for grass and ice I assume as they wouldn't use a pure type team.

Now I can understand if they didn't have wildcards or we could change our teams between triad gyms while maybe maintaining a core that has to remain unchanged (could be decided by the first triad leader you face), but making a competitive team that doesn't counter one or more of the triad leaders is a difficult task as most pokemon carry dual typing and you're basing counters on my pokemons dual typing vs their single typing when it should probably be dual typing vs dual typing or single vs single typing.

Another thing I see that is with fault is some pokemon carry a dual typing that makes it neutral to moves or immune all together. So maybe a look at the triads teams would serve to make this more fair as a mega venusaur has thick fat which makes two of its weaknesses neutral not to mention make garchomps ground typing neutral to it as well because of grass typing. This pokemon is sure to be on both grass and poison as its a popular pokemon.

Am I on the right path so far with your explanation that you are trying to provide?

Last edited:

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.

I should've stated it earlier, but I was in class when I last posted, so I was kinda in a rush while checking things here. Otherwise, theamazinhanzen pretty much answered it for you spot on. Though I don't blame anyone, because what makes the Glacial Biohazard triad a little more challenging is that it's hard to create a non-counter team specifically for that triad. (I was one of the few who didn't really have much team-building issues with that kind of thing when I challenged it, but that is what I've noticed.)

Anyway, I should be opening up my facilities sometime this afternoon when I get home. I need my home wi-fi because college wi-fi hates my 3DS.

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
Before I challenge anyone I always write out what pokemon I intend to use and see who they are strong against, that always helps me.

Anywho, Facilities closed.

So we can't have any type of advantage then. I don't mind changing my team, but what you're saying is I can't use a pokemon if it has an offensive advantage or defensive. I understand ferro and scizor being counters, but they are also two very popular pokemon. If you run a mono team and don't expect to run into them then there is a problem somewhere. Not to mention all his pokemon aren't just poison. He had two wildcards and most of the others had second typing. Same would go for grass and ice I assume as they wouldn't use a pure type team.

Now I can understand if they didn't have wildcards or we could change our teams between triad gyms while maybe maintaining a core that has to remain unchanged (could be decided by the first triad leader you face), but making a competitive team that doesn't counter one or more of the triad leaders is a difficult task as most pokemon carry dual typing and you're basing counters on my pokemons dual typing vs their single typing when it should probably be dual typing vs dual typing or single vs single typing.

Another thing I see that is with fault is some pokemon carry a dual typing that makes it neutral to moves or immune all together. So maybe a look at the triads teams would serve to make this more fair as a mega venusaur has thick fat which makes two of its weaknesses neutral not to mention make garchomps ground typing neutral to it as well because of grass typing. This pokemon is sure to be on both grass and poison as its a popular pokemon.

Am I on the right path so far with your explanation that you are trying to provide?

You can have pokemon with an advantage. You just cant have 4 or more with either a resistance to the primary typing of the gym OR a STAB move that is SE against that type. Like SilverLanayru said, it's one of the more difficult Triads to not counter. I have several trained pokemon and it still took me close to an hour to figure out a combination that is an acceptable team for all 3. It's a rule for every league I've ever played in that you can't have a team with 4 or more counters. It's all part of the challenge and the fun of battling these teams. As far as the two non-monotype members: if I can, I take into account that type's weaknesses. Those two pokemon are usually pokemon to cancel out weaknesses of the gym's type, so I try to have one or two to counteract potential threats in that area.

Mr.Y

O)_(O

Well, before all, welcome to our league Aoki.
You can have up to three (3) counters to the gym leader, but more than 3 isn't allowed. Also, please read the rules before posting/challenging, as it seems like you didn't. If there comes any more questions just pm/vm one of our thread overseers (they are also in the OP).

TheShoveler1887

Rock Shoveler

For starters, popularity has nothing to do with team building here. Sure, we don't limit tiers and set every battle as OU by smogon standards but our teams aren't OU by any stretch of the imagination and I know for a fact that popularity has nothing to do with my team building.

As for the counters, those rules are set up for a reason. Abilities have been discussed like thick fat and levitate and we've ruled those out as not applicable to the counter clause. In my opinion we have counter rules and the triad system to encourage creative team building and problem solving. If you build your team this way, will you have a greater advantage against this gym than this other gym or will both be equal in challenge? Stuff like that, getting the challengers to think about what they're bringing and subsequently making the gym leaders build teams anticipating counters, makes this league what it is.

As for the wild card argument I think it's a much needed system and will never go away. I run the rock gym and the only thing stopping a mega Scizor from sweeping my gym is the fact that I have wild cards. The only reason Talonflame didn't put sizable dents in my bug team was because I brought checks to it in my wild cards and in certain members of my base bug types.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? If I need to explain it better or if you have specific questions you want answered let me know and I can try to help you out to the best of my abilities. :3

Aoki

Want to battle??
Well, before all, welcome to our league Aoki.
You can have up to three (3) counters to the gym leader, but more than 3 isn't allowed. Also, please read the rules before posting/challenging, as it seems like you didn't. If there comes any more questions just pm/vm one of our thread overseers (they are also in the OP).

That's where you're wrong. I did read the rules. It wasn't stated clearly as to what a direct counter based on rules the overseers of the league set. I've also stated that I didn't mind changing my team, but bought up these points so that I know for the future and have a deeper understanding to the rules. Maybe you should go back and reread my post of me saying so as it seems like you didn't.

For starters, popularity has nothing to do with team building here. Sure, we don't limit tiers and set every battle as OU by smogon standards but our teams aren't OU by any stretch of the imagination and I know for a fact that popularity has nothing to do with my team building.

As for the counters, those rules are set up for a reason. Abilities have been discussed like thick fat and levitate and we've ruled those out as not applicable to the counter clause. In my opinion we have counter rules and the triad system to encourage creative team building and problem solving. If you build your team this way, will you have a greater advantage against this gym than this other gym or will both be equal in challenge? Stuff like that, getting the challengers to think about what they're bringing and subsequently making the gym leaders build teams anticipating counters, makes this league what it is.

As for the wild card argument I think it's a much needed system and will never go away. I run the rock gym and the only thing stopping a mega Scizor from sweeping my gym is the fact that I have wild cards. The only reason Talonflame didn't put sizable dents in my bug team was because I brought checks to it in my wild cards and in certain members of my base bug types.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? If I need to explain it better or if you have specific questions you want answered let me know and I can try to help you out to the best of my abilities. :3

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Just needed some clarity of the rules. I just provided the wildcards as an example and most competitive teams are built to counter popular pokemon. You just said it yourself that scizor doesn't sweep you because of your wildcard. You planned to see scizor frequently.

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Cryuel's horribly overwhelming and disorganized OP said:
a counter team is defined as having 4 or more Pokémon of a type that would be super-effective against, or resist, the Leader’s main type

In a nutshell. And in the rules.

For example, even though Chansey is a goddess who counters the whole meta, she only counts as a counter for the Ghost Gyms as per the League definition of counter. Have in mind most leagues implement this rule, and if not, it is courtesy to follow it.

Last edited:

Mr.Y

O)_(O
That's where you're wrong. I did read the rules. It wasn't stated clearly as to what a direct counter based on rules the overseers of the league set. I've also stated that I didn't mind changing my team, but bought up these points so that I know for the future and have a deeper understanding to the rules. Maybe you should go back and reread my post of me saying so as it seems like you didn't.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Just needed some clarity of the rules. I just provided the wildcards as an example and most competitive teams are built to counter popular pokemon. You just said it yourself that scizor doesn't sweep you because of your wildcard. You planned to see scizor frequently.
Rule 8: " Counter Teams are not allowed, and Gym Leaders/E3 members may decline the battle should they determine your team to be one. Mega Evolutions count as a Counter if either before or after mega-evolving the Pokémon would have been considered a Counter. (a counter team is defined as having 4 or more Pokémon of a type that would be super-effective against, or resist, the Leader’s main type)"
Maybe you should go back and reread the rules, as it seems like you didn't.

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL

I feel late to the welcoming party but WELCOME TO THE LEAGUE! :3

The rules are clear.
If you don't understand them then ask instead of blaming the clarity of them please.

There are a lot of rules, so it's understandable if mistakes are made, especially for newcomers. As stated above that particular triad is probably the toughest to make a non-countering team too, but it is doable. Months of deliberation and discussion went into them. I still think we need to color code them so they're not as much of an eyesore >3>

Aoki

Want to battle??
Rule 8: " Counter Teams are not allowed, and Gym Leaders/E3 members may decline the battle should they determine your team to be one. Mega Evolutions count as a Counter if either before or after mega-evolving the Pokémon would have been considered a Counter. (a counter team is defined as having 4 or more Pokémon of a type that would be super-effective against, or resist, the Leader’s main type)"
Maybe you should go back and reread the rules, as it seems like you didn't.

Thanks for that. Mustve passed over it.

I see you are the grass leader of the triad i'm facing. Is your gym open? I would like to challenge you.

nvm that's a different league. I would still like to face you for this one or that.

Mr.Y

O)_(O
Thanks for that. Mustve passed over it.

I see you are the grass leader of the triad i'm facing. Is your gym open? I would like to challenge you.

nvm that's a different league. I would still like to face you for this one or that.

I'm the Pokegym's grass leader (and water E4, but on Pokégyms you can only challenge the E4 after getting 8 or more badges), while here I'm the Dark E3. I won't be able to open this week as I'll be very busy, but I can take your challenge next weekend for both gyms (if you want you can pm to set up a time).
If any of the rules aren't clear for you, go to the third post and read the FAQ, if you still have any doubts fell free to pm any thread overseer as they'll gladly help you.
Just to give you a hand, here it is the thread overseers (they're actually really easy to miss in the OP) : Cryùel, Mr.Y, Sito, ColtonL, TheShoveler1887, SilverLanayru, Marashu, DJSummers, xDIRCIOx

Last edited:

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
*whistles quietly in the background whilst the arguments are happening*

Feeling up to a few battles, open for an hour. DT is first.
Closed.

challenger: dragontamer
leader Type & Owner:Ice/LF
Team used against Triad/Facility:Espeon, Furfrou, Lucario, Galvantula, Aerodactyl, Kingdra
Challenger Result:loss 3-0
Rate your performance: 7/10
Comments about the match: you made some odd plays but luckily I was able to set up and finish u off.

challenger: LF
leader Type & Owner: Flying/dragontamer
Team used against Triad/Facility: Darmanitan, Celebi, Skarmory, Raikou, Medicham, I forget the last one
Challenger Result:loss 2-0
Rate your performance: 8/10
Comments about the match: if you'd just had a normal ground type instead of a water/ground then I could have possibly won. Gg.

challenger: theamazingham
leader Type & Owner:Ice/LF
Team used against Triad/Facility: Infernape, chansey, salamence, sabelye, gyrados, forgot
Challenger Result:loss 2-0
Rate your performance: 7/10
Rate opponent's performance: 7/10
Comments about the match: you used the wrong move at the very end of the game which cost you the match. Close battle.

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I feel late to the welcoming party but WELCOME TO THE LEAGUE! :3

The rules are clear.
If you don't understand them then ask instead of blaming the clarity of them please.

There are a lot of rules, so it's understandable if mistakes are made, especially for newcomers. As stated above that particular triad is probably the toughest to make a non-countering team too, but it is doable. Months of deliberation and discussion went into them. I still think we need to color code them so they're not as much of an eyesore >3>

*holds Colton back*

Well, I finally found time in school to open, but guess what? I forgot my game...

Well then. PM me if you want to schedule a battle. Still looking for an apprentice while my new member gets bred, but if no one is interested in the position I'll just take challenges myself.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Alright, now that I am home and just finished watching the Nintendo Direct... dangit, Nintendo is draining my wallet even further. lol
Psychic Gym and Battle Resort (Wi-fi) are closed for a little while. (Most likely for an hour, because I'll be busy later.)
Closed for today, as I need to head out somewhere with parents fairly soon + have college work to settle.
I will open again on Friday, and theamazinhanzen gets top priority (since he scheduled for a rematch).

---

Challengers

Challenger's name: theamazinhazen
Leader Type & Owner: Psychic / Silver
Team used against Triad/Brain: Aggron, Garchomp, Blissey, Starmie, Gengar, Infernape
Challenger Result: Loss; 0-3
Rate your performance: 8.5/10
Rate opponent's performance: 8.5/10
Comments about the match: I enjoyed this battle. :3 Well played on both sides, to be honest, despite the situation you were in. xD I look forward to your rematch!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.