• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The truth by comparison

~Jeremy~

RAWR! I want HG/SS!
Gee I see both points of view on this but I have to go with the 'I like Pokemon Green so much!" side of the debate. I really like the way the sprites are done and I like a change once in a while.

@ Jimmy:
Oh, my bad, heh. And yeah, many of the Pokemon look rather different than they do now.

@Dharok
Cool; just remember, Jap Red = Jap Green, only had different Pokemon.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
nice i wish they made a US green ;.;

They did o_O twice:

1) English Blue. It has the same Pokemon. Differences:
* New sprites, as Japanese Blue does
* New maps, such as Cerulean Cave
* The game is harder. Japanese Red/Green didn't have a STAB or something, and those 2 games simply are easier than Japanese Blue and English Red/Blue

2) LeafGreen, the remake, has more things in common:
* The FireRed/LeafGreen sprites, if anyone noticed, are simply upgraded versions of the Red/Green sprites, not the Red/Blue ones. They're in the same positions
* The same maps were used from the original games, which is why English players noticed Cerulean cave looks different; it's the original layout
The difficulty is the same mostly, though.

jnzooger

So if American blue has the same catchable Pokémon as Japanese green, which Pokémon are not catchable in the Japanese blue? I get the strangest feeling they coinside with Yellow. :surfpika:

Mega Trickster

Blargagh blargh
So if American blue has the same catchable Pokémon as Japanese green, which Pokémon are not catchable in the Japanese blue? I get the strangest feeling they coinside with Yellow. :surfpika:

Blue has every Pokemon in it. Literally the only Pokemon game where you could get all the Pokemon (well the 151).

jnzooger

Blue has every Pokemon in it. Literally the only Pokemon game where you could get all the Pokemon (well the 151).

I'm sorry to doubt you on this, but can you provide some proof? I find it a little difficult to believe that any Pokémon game has all 151. The premise of all the main line games is trading.

I doubt J Blue had them all. I'll play through it when I have time to see what it has.

What I do know is the only game you can get Mew in is Japanese Yellow. If you have caught the other 150, either Oak or the dude in Celadon gives you Mew. Too bad they took it out of the English version :(

Valoc Darkmyre

Steel Type Hunter
Wow, you've really put some effort into spreading the truth. Anyway, while I already knew the sprite origins, your research revealed something new to me: I didn't know that the Jigglypuff vs. Gengar scene was from the Japanese Blue and wasn't in the Japanese Green, which would have its Pokémon exclusives be in the American Blue.....So in turn, the Nidorino vs. Gengar scene being in the GBA remake of Green is accurate. Very interesting, indeed.

jnzooger

What I meant was like version exclusives and stuff like that, not like starters in the wild. Lickitung is wild too.

I figured thats what you meant. I still doubt it though. I would guess that using red, green, blue, and yellow, you could catch all 151 without trading in-game. Maybe like wild Porygon, Lapras, and Eevee or something.

Unfortunately, nobody ever bothers to translate Japanese blue. Everyone always does green. Someone should do a hack of American blue that puts the Japanese exclusives instead of the American's and has Japanese red/green's unknown dungon and they should call in American Green Version. (Someone want to do this for me? I can make a box for it. ^_^)

BTW, Lickitung, like Farfetch'd, is wild in yellow anyway.

(Note to mods, the "rom request" above was a joke. I'm not actually asking for a rom or advicating piracy. Please don't ban me. ^_^)

Erus Black Mage

I played a *** of Green then I played a *** of Japanese Red, Basically the same,

Though I still think the sprites look dumb (I am talking about English Red, JPN Red, English Blue, and Green)

I'm really curious about Blue's version exclusives. I've started on a project to play through Japanese Green, Red, Blue, and Yellow, and documenting every single Pokemon location and level. So far, in Green, on Route 24. I'll keep you posted, and make a nice page as before for you all.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
I don't understand japanese, and I still go to Cinabar Island on Pocket Monsters Blue. Yesterday, I was at Lavender Town. I truly am the master of Pokemon.

Francesc

Natsu no Maboroshi
Well, the graphic look exacttly the same to me.

jnzooger

I'm really curious about Blue's version exclusives.

While cleaning my room I found an old print-out that lists the non-obtainables in every version up to Crystal.

Red(English/Japanese): Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales, Meowth, Persian, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Magmar, Pinsir, Mew

Blue(English)/Green(Japanese): Ekans, Arbok, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Mankey, Primeape, Growlithe, Arcanine, Scyther, Electabuzz, Mew

Blue(Japanese): Ekans, Arbok, Vulpix, Ninetales, Mankey, Primeape, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Electabuzz, Magmar, Mew

Yellow(English/Japanese): Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Ekans, Arbok, Raichu, Meowth, Persian, Koffing, Weezing, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Mew(English)

I was wrong about the Blue/Yellow possible link. With that you can't get Ekans, Arbok, Electabuzz, and Magmar...Close, but no cigar. So you can not complete Blue without at least 2 of the other games. That stinks.