• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The truth by comparison

jnzooger

Blue was made before Yellow, and Yellow was based on the cartoon. I don't consider Yellow to be canon.

Thing is, in Japan, Yellow kinda isn't cannon. It is called Pikachu, not Yellow, so it doesn't even fit the naming scheme. And seeing how, like Blue, you can't catch every Pokémon without trading with at least 2 games, I consiter them to be the same type of special game.

Last edited:

~Bent~

awhups
Thing is, in Japan, Yellow kinda isn't cannon. It is called Pikachu, not Yellow, so it doesn't even fit the naming scheme. And seeing how, like Blue, you can't catch every Pokémon without trading with at least 2 games, I consiter them to be the same type of special game.
Still, Yellow obviously has some form of canon, as Red's team in G/S/C is based off the obtainable Pokemon from Yellow.

I don't see how anything is canon, in any form. We all know the anime doesn't match with the games, at all, but neither do the games themselves. Not only do the Pokemon look different from the old sprites, but the Unknown Dungeon's layout has changed, AND Lickitung can learn Rollout in Emerald but cannot evolve. They try to keep some form of consistency but ultimately fail.

Meowth! That's right!

Cat Pokemon Trainer
They are basically the same game but with different sprites.

I've seen a lot of sprites from Green... the sprites generally are better in Red and Blue than in Green... I mean, check out the Green Mew sprite! :eek:

151.png
compared to
151.png

They are basically the same game but with different sprites.

I've seen a lot of sprites from Green... the sprites generally are better in Red and Blue than in Green... I mean, check out the Green Mew sprite! :eek:

151.png
compared to
151.png

Please read the first post.

pokemondude

Ima chargin ma lazor
Well im not saying green is bad cuz well it a great game:) but i mean the sprites are well uh look at mew venasaur charizard blastoise parasect and omastar.:(

mew151

Thunder Trainer
Green version is 1 of the 2 Pokemon games first released in the world, so it's not like they promised us many things we expect it to. The sprites for JP Red and Green are not bad-looking, but indeed they can be better. I didn't think JP Blue's sprites (the ones we know from US Red and Blue) were any better than the sprites from JP Red and Green until Pikachu version was released.

Ah yes. If I may ask, what is Mew's starting Level once obtained in JP Yellow?

Last edited:

Pika_Princess

I don't see anything wrong with green sprites. Like it's been said, since they were the very first games, then it isn't like people had a big frame of comparison. If we compare the green mew with the crystal mew, sure there's a difference. But the sprites themselves look fine for what they were. And now that it's been 10 years, they don't look as awsome as they did in 1995. But the green ones aren't any worse than the red, blue, or yellow ones so it makes me sad to see pages like the one linked on the first page of this thread. Just my $0.02.
~Pikapras

mew151

Thunder Trainer
Hmm. You claim that Mew can be gotten in the JP version of Pokemon Yellow. I have completed the Pokedex of JP Yellow, but where exactly do you go to get Mew?

UberSorcerer

However with people bashing the sprites; yeah I've seen a lot; though who could blame them?
I could, there are quite a few pokemon I could name from G1 that are far superior in G/R

I played a bootleg of Green, Red and Blue JP on a multicart from Singapore, I have to say, G/R has a better feel to the rest of the franchise. Also I find it insulting western audienced say R/B/Y and G the american release/not release, I have always said the jp release way G/R/B/Y, as for cannon, I'd say Red is cannon, I can usualy find art of Protaginist with Charmander, pushing Red for box art. Also the games ARE cannon, the anime is not.

Raika

Vaporeonologist
Frankly, the English Red/Blue Mew sprites are the most appealing to me, because they actually convey its adorableness =) But the Green Mew sprite is kinda cute in a scary way too :p (it freaks me out, to be exact XD ) But I just CAN'T be the only one who likes the Green Mew sprite ;)

I'm going to Japan this summer and I AM gonna get my hands on GREEN/RED and maybe Japanese BLUE if I find it.. ..and Japanese YELLOW (PIKACHU) if I can.

Xx~Raika