• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Two-Sentence Story Exercise

I'm sure you've come across a link that leads you to several two-sentence horror stories, where people try to elicit horror within the very short range of two sentences. One of my favorites has to be:

The last man on earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door.

Two very simple sentences, but put together, they form a very clear scene and the makings of an interesting plot. It leaves you with many questions: Why was he the last man on Earth? Why was he in a room? Who or what was knocking? How did the man feel? What happened next? That sense of mystery and ambiguity is, in my opinion, what makes this particular story successful.

As an exercise for all of us, let's all try to make the best two-sentence stories we could think of. It doesn't have to be horror - it can be any genre, theme, or subject that you want, as long as you can deliver a story in two sentences. It can be a two-sentence version of any of your current or future fics, or it can be a two-sentence version of an idea that's been bugging you in your head, or it can be two random sentences you've put together to form an amazing story. Whatever it is, it could possibly help your fellow SppF writer out of a plothole, or it could inspire someone to write an entire story out of it!

Let me start it off with this one, which I really only put together because I'd feel bad if I started this thread without giving one of my own:

His shopping list was short and simple: "pens, stationery, rope, medication." He bought everything except for the medication.

Really sloppy, but it sort-of represents this story idea I've had for a month now which I've temporarily shelved because of the Alpha and Omega contest. XD

Can you do better? Of course you can! Show us your amazing two-sentence stories! :D

--

P.S.: I made a similar thread almost four years ago, but instead of two-sentence stories, it focused on six-word stories. If you need even more inspiration, or if you want to take a look at the awesome six-word stories that some members made almost four years ago, go ahead and click the link above! :)

Last edited:

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
Sounds interesting. My two-sentence story:

A loud boom was heard all across the planet. Earth was being flung away from its dying star, never to return again.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
He suddenly realized it wasn't just himself who was a dragon in disguise. He looked up and put together the facts that made it clear that every human, even the guy by the door, the girl at the table, the old man at the bar, every single person walking outside and the rest of the other seven billion people on the planet were all still using the ancient disguise passed down so many years ago and no one even knew about it anymore.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
And then this popped into my head:
The judge died quietly in his sleep, and the coroners never figured out how. His wife, meanwhile, quietly took their daughter out of the country and taught her how to forget all the sleepless nights she had with Daddy.

And another:
After a long day at work, it's nice to come home and hear the welcoming bark of a doberman. Unless, of course, you don't own a dog.

And one other:
After a long day at work, it's nice to come home and hear the welcoming bark of a doberman. That's why you kill it first.

Last edited:

ShachonianX

Spheal Lord
Okay, these are going to be some of my new attempts at two-sentence stories.

I looked into the darkness, and confirmed that there was nothing watching me, no monster, no alien, no murderer. Instead, the cold black eyes of the darkness were watching me.

People were staring in my direction, looking behind me in a horrified daze. I turned around and saw a blood stained corpse; my body.

It slowly advanced towards me, crawling ever so quickly down the infinite hallway. I tried to calm myself down by thinking that it is only dream, when I remembered that I part of someone else's dream, and couldn't save myself.

He knew he was coming towards the end of his story. What he didn't know was when the last sentence of this novel would come, and the last word would end his manipulated life controlled by the writer.

Firebrand

Indomitable
He supposed a sane, rational person ought to be having some regrets right about now. But it didn't matter anyway, the drop wasn't long enough for that.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
"Tiger snake bites aren't lethal, right?"

"...let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best, shall we?"

Last edited:

Meeker

It needs a fence.
The lone wanderer's weapon shook in his hand. The room was devoid of light, and the faint whispers of the dead filled his ears.

GhostlyMaiden

Old User: OtakuGamer
She sat in the dim lit, looking at her hands as cold tears rolled down her face. Screams from the other room broke the silence, the girl now worried if she is next.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Although she so desperately sought revenge, she decided - after some thought - to spare his life.

Unfortunately, he didn't do the same.

ChloboShoka

Writer
There was something that tasted strange in the cupcake, so she examined it more closely before taking another bite. There was an eye in her cake.

Dragonfree

Just me
When Zathern first shows off his evolved form to her with too-desperate enthusiasm, all she can see is Tharann pinning her down and the sick gleam in his eyes that she can't help imagining in her son's.

She excuses herself politely, and soon an unfeeling predator viciously chases down a Swellow, murders it and eats it, then stands dully on the forest floor and wonders vaguely why its limbs are trembling.

(This is recursive fanfic of elyvorg's [thread=490657]Foregone Conclusion[/thread]. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense without having read it.)

He supposed a sane, rational person ought to be having some regrets right about now. But it didn't matter anyway, the drop wasn't long enough for that.
There are several ficlets I like here, but I think this is my favorite so far. I can imagine so many stories preceding it.

Last edited:

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
The happy couple entered the cinema, hands tightly held together. They left separated, the ironically-sweet popcorn now scattered through their hair.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
Hm, let me try this out too. I want to get a bit into writing again ^^.

She liked to help him with many things. And now she is feeding the worms for him.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
The detective closes the file on his latest case with a smile. Nobody can catch him now.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
At first I thought the errand I was running was going to be simple and easy, even with my brother. But once again, I was proven wrong as he did what he usually did: get me in trouble.