• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ultimate Duo! Clemont and Cilan!! (XYZ SP)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Ultimate Duo! Clemont and Cilan!!

It has been some time since the Team Flare incident in Lumiose City, and so a special fishing competition is to begin. Entering, all the way from the Unova region, is Ash's old travelling companion, Cilan. When at the competition, he meets Clemont and Bonnie and informs them he wants to see Prism Tower, so they guide him there. However, with his passion for the subway, they decide to go through the Lumiose subway system but soon they get separated and a driverless train drives off with just Bonnie on board. Will Cilan and Clemont be able to find her?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Janovy

Banned
LOL, they did the same thing like with Brock and Cilan.

No mention of Ash, they don't know they have a mutual friend.

TheScentedApple

It seemed very odd seeing Cilan again, his thing happening three times again made me realise how annoying and boring BW was. Bonnie and Dedenne focus is always nice but they seemed at lot, and I mean a lot, less animated and crisp as they usually do

Alola Adventurer

So what was Ash and Pikachu's voices for, anybody who watched the episode know?

No idea. They don't appear in present time. They do get flashbacks from BW and XY, but the said flashbacks are silent ones.
But anywho, yeah, this was nice episode imo and I loved seeing Cilan again and his interactions with Clemont and Bonnie were pretty decent. 8/10.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
LOL, they did the same thing like with Brock and Cilan.

No mention of Ash, they don't know they have a mutual friend.

Please tell me they at least learnt each other's name...

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Mainly a Bonnie getting lost in the train special. The fishing rod/Aipom arm combo to save Bonnie was awesome. The flashback of BW Ash and XY Ash in quick succession was nice. I wanted Clemont to capture the Eelektross, but sadly he didn't.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Yes, Clemont, Bonnie and Dedenne introduce themselves to each other in the first half of the episode and Clemont and Cilan learn that they're both Gym Leaders.

Brilliant ,that automatically makes it better than Brock and Dent XD

DS0308

<--- Actually me
The animation quality was so weird this episode. Was this just XYZ031 quality or more akin to SM? I really don't know. Dedenne looked so out of proportion and odd in some parts, more so than usual.

A lot more interesting than the last special for me, was nice they both introduced themselves as Gym leaders and that. Cilan is way too much. :p

I guess that's the 100% definite end of XY. For all of the flaws that I can point to it's been a fun ride.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
- Clemont and Cilan did do a proper introduction, so they know each others name at least. They also know that each other is a gym leader. No mention of Ash though.
- I just love how Bonnie would have probably been just fine if they let the train crash into the dead end if she held onto something. I mean I'm pretty sure it was safer to do that than to fish her off with a fishing rod...
- Please no, no more Puni-chan song.
- I just realized, why isn't Eelektross Electirc/Water? I mean, it is a Eel.
- I wished Cilan caught that Eelektross. He did say he wanted to fish it in the fishing competition, so I was thinking he would have caught it to calm it down.
- They did it again. They mentioned they both knew a hot-headed person who never gives up and has guts, yet they don't mention the name.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So pokemon filler outside of Vine Whip. Honestly why bother bringing these characters back if you don't develop them at all??

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
So pokemon filler outside of Vine Whip. Honestly why bother bringing these characters back if you don't develop them at all??

I agree. With dawn, and then the brock/cilan episode, and now this....they were just there to have cameos. Iris was the only one to get development at all.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

Fan service, nothing more.

I'm now expecting (if we get one) Serena's special to be her dominating performances.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Yes, Clemont, Bonnie and Dedenne introduce themselves to Cilan in the first half of the episode and Clemont and Cilan learn that they're both Gym Leaders.

Buuuuut that is a sad confirmation that Ash didnt bother mentioning his old friends.

So in a weird in-universe way XY is still anti continuity because its the only saga where Ash hasnt brought up old friends

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Buuuuut that is a sad confirmation that Ash didnt bother mentioning his old friends.

So in a weird in-universe way XY is still anti continuity because its the only saga where Ash hasnt brought up old friends

Confirmed - Ash just doesn't care about his human friends, just Pokemon (and that's debatable considering he never puts them back in his team).

Lionel_B

Damn it... Not Luxray/Stunfisk duo in episode... Clawitzer and Eelektross have not been captured... And Ash name is not pronounced. :(

In truth, a little disappointing, but otherwise, overall it was very good episode, one of the best episode centric on Clemont, the same level as the episode where Team Rocket was disguised as Ash, Serena and Bonnie, but any more than Ash VS Clemont episode, for cited episodes with Clemont that I liked.

Oh and of course, it is also one of the best episodes of Cilan, but for him, I prefer its special episode with Brock.

In addition, N made a cameo.

I was not very fond of Clemont, but when I see Sophocles, I feel that I'll regret.

Soniman

Break the Limit
That episode was marvelous. This was a much stronger episode then the Cilan/Brock one simply because the characters bounce of each other way better. Though of course Cilan stole the show with his passionate speeches about his interests (great to hear his theme again) the episode did not hesitate to show off Clemont’s strengths either.

I think that’s the best part of the episode, how Cilan, Clemont and even Bonnie were able to make use of their talents to help with the conflict. Cilan’s sommelier, fishing and subway skills all serving a purpose, Clemont’s technology expertise being used to track Bonnie’s location to help her and Bonnie using her talent if befriending any and all Pokemon to quell the angry Elektross. No one felt left out which I think was a really good point of the episode.

Of course the real strong point was just seeing Cilan again and a nice final swan song to the Best Wishes along with XY before moving on. This saga was not kind in giving BW it’s due with no Iris cameo and all, so I’m happy it finally got its validation, even if it’s minor. I went giddy with excitement seeing BW and XY Ash being shown back to back as to how they both inspired and motivated his friends, I thought that was a good moment as well.

Just a damn fine episode all around, I was worried Cilan’s role would be minimal but thankfully I can say they used him to his near fullest (if only we saw Crustle though)

So with that, XY is now 100% done and over with. But I’ve made me peace with that already and I’m now excited to move on to the next stage.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Fan service, nothing more.

I'm now expecting (if we get one) Serena's special to be her dominating performances.

The difference is that while Serena was an arc revolved character that has a big gaping hole where development is needed, Clemont and Cilan are more comic relief types that, while benefiting from development, can still hold an episode on their own just from personality much in the same way as Team Rocket.

Last edited: