• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ultimate Duo! Clemont and Cilan!! (XYZ SP)

DatsRight

She will most probably get but a little later. She is a very popular female companion after all, so I doubt that the writers would leave her without a special. Actually I was hoping that there would be some mention of Serena in this episode, but sadly there wasn't any.

As said, if they're planning her to make a reappearance in Sun/Moon it wouldn't surprise me if they make her special during that series to transition her design into the new style.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
As said, if they're planning her to make a reappearance in Sun/Moon it wouldn't surprise me if they make her special during that series to transition her design into the new style.

I don't want Serena to appear in the SM series because it will be difficult to fit her in the SM art style- it won't suit her at all in my opinion. She should appear in a special which will probably air during the SM series and win a Contest ribbon or so. But no mention or flashback of Serena in this episode seemed quite weird to me.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I don't want Serena to appear in the SM series because it will be difficult to fit her in the SM art style- it won't suit her at all in my opinion. She should appear in a special which will probably air during the SM series and win a Contest ribbon or so. But no mention or flashback of Serena im this episode seemed quite weird to me.

Ignoring the fact that the studio ghibli-lite style would fit her fine as Lillie, Lana, and Mallow are perfectly fine...

Besides, the SM art is now the current style and the specials are mostly done with the most recent style.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ignoring the fact that the studio ghibli-lite style would fit her fine as Lillie, Lana, and Mallow are perfectly fine...

Besides, the SM art is now the current style and the specials are mostly done with the most recent style.

In my opinion, Serena was perfect in the XY artstyle. But I think if Serena gets a special, it will be in the XY artstyle.

U.N. Owen

In my opinion, Serena was perfect in the XY artstyle. But I think if Serena gets a special, it will be in the XY artstyle.

Cilan got a special in the XY style, not the BW style. Serena will probably get one in the SM style.

DatsRight

I can see it being Sun/Moon styled, but trying better to merge her XY design into it than it has Ash for transitional effect. After all the animators may have likely refined things a little since then (we've already seen shots and animator sketches of Ash that look much more on model than these first previews).

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Cilan got a special in the XY style, not the BW style. Serena will probably get one in the SM style.

Well, BW artstyle and XY artstyle are pretty much the same to be honest. So in this episode, Cilan looked pretty much same as he did in BW.

DatsRight

Serena's design isn't too distant from the Sun/Moon female player anyway (to the point many predict she would represent her if she appeared anyway). She'd likely just be streamlined slightly, probably a cleaner transition than if you tried putting her in OS-DP style.

Clemont having the final XY special made more sense because his locale right now is in Kalos, making it more a true final sentiment to the region and series.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Serena's design isn't too distant from the Sun/Moon female player anyway (to the point many predict she would represent her if she appeared anyway). She'd likely just be streamlined slightly, probably a cleaner transition than if you tried putting her in OS-DP style.

Clemont being the final XY special made more sense because his locale right now is in Kalos, making it more a true final sentiment to the region and series.

If Serena gets a special, there will be a flashback of XY Ash like there was a flashback of BW Ash in this episode. How would XY Ash fit into the SM artstyle?

U.N. Owen

If Serena gets a special, there will be a flashback of XY Ash like there was a flashback of BW Ash in this episode. How would XY Ash fit into the SM artstyle?

They redid Kanto art in Unova's polished style. They will do the same for Ash and Serena.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
They redid Kanto art in Unova's polished style. They will do the same for Ash and Serena.

I'm actually thinking how they would do it. I guess I won't know until I see it, of course.

DatsRight

I'd gladly welcome a Serena special in Sun/Moon style if it went the same direction as this one did with Clemont and Cilan and shown off her full abilities and star appeal, rather than just the usual affair of playing vanilla protagonist to Team Rocket or some other comic relief loser character designed to make her look good without much effort on her end.

It's actually a shame XY downplayed the twerp-only episodes, since this shown this lot still had plenty of potential. Then again Clemont and Cilan are easier to place alone or against any random character and be entertaining.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked Cilan's interactions with Clemont here more than I was expecting to honestly and I thought that Pansage and Stunfisk being used was a nice touch, although too bad that Crustle didn't appear. And I'm ok with no one catching the Eelektross. ^^

Alloutℯ

Banned
Cilan coming to Lumiose to a fishing competition instead of for some connoisseur reason was weird, but I missed his peppiness, so I was happy to see him. And I loved how Cilan's love of trains was remembered.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Citron and Eureka's encounter with Dent seemed rather needless. Dent's a fantastic character, but I didn't think his personality meshed well with the Miare siblings. I was amused by Dent's antics, however. He's always delightful.

Daizy

I call you honey
Cilan meeting Clemont could've been much more fun yet what we did get was okay I guess. It's funny seeing Ash's old friends meet without him around.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I now wish that Citron had caught that Shibirudon since he was in need of a new Electric-type. Even Dent capturing it would've been a decent alternative.