• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ultimate Test (056)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Ultimate Test!

While travelling, Ash notes it has been a long time since his last badge so Todd suggests he takes the Pokémon League exam. Winning this will get you immediate entry into the Pokémon League. Will Ash win this or be forever earning Badges?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I know one of my favorite moments from this episode has to be James's ultra-cute reaction when he actually gives a pikachu an order. :D I think it would be so cool if James got a pikachu of his own someday, but he does seem really great with grass types.

Shigeru-kun

Property of Jesus
I liked this episode for some reason...maybe because all the weird quiz questions and stuff? *shrugs* Who knows, but at the time it was really new and different to the pokemon world.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Burnt Flower said:
A very bland, unneeded episode in my opinion, though the best part of it was Jesse, James, and Ash's score.

Hmmm, I didn't mind it, thought it was something different as oppose to your regular filler. It was kinda expected I guess that he would end up with Arbok, Weezing and a Meowth in the fighting competition.

Brainbox Ash attempting the quiz was funny, mainly because he sucked.

M

Mistystar89

I thought this was a really funny episode too when Ash and TR fail and Todd takes pictures. XD It was funny when they all battled too and the questions were funny with Jigglypuff, Ponyta, and Poliwag. I cracked up when they got the questions wrong XDD. 9/10

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
Ash isn't too bright, is he?
This was a funny episode. I liked seeing them take the quiz.

"True or False: Lickitung's body is twice as long as it's body"
Ash:"Nah, it's gotta be longer than that"

It wa hilarious when James shook Jessie off. Didn't he say, "Shoo you old bat"?

It's not a Voltorb, or an Electrode, but a Jigglypuff seen from above.

I liked the battling. "Pikachu, Charizard, Ivysaur, about face!" (It was those three, right?)

"Yes, I finally got that talking Meowth"

8.5/10

Shikamaru

Strawberry Milk
This episode was probally one of the strangest episodes out of them.
This one was full of humor and i liked ti for that reason. i mean ash getting weezing arbok and meowth all in the same draw very odd.
9/10

Heracross

Custom User Title
This was one of those episodes that had as much comedy crammed into it as possible. I personally thought it was great. The test was rediculous and it was hilarious seeing Ash, Jessie, and James trying to figure out what the stuff on the screen was.XD

"...A Jigglypuff seen from above" *everyone falls out of their seats*

The battles were also funny, especially when Ash sends out Weezing and their facial expressions are exactly the same. Great stuff.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
The first episode I ever saw - and in my opinion, not a good one to start with, considering that it really relies on a lot of episodes before it for the setup. Still, not bad. At least the test sequences were funny, if not a little impossibly difficult (I still find "Jigglypuff as viewed from the top" funny - would have been funnier if 4Kids kept the original "Pokémon Dare Da?" for this episode). Since I'd never seen any prior episodes the first time I watched, the irony of Ash receiving Arbok, Weezing, and Meowth as his three random battle Pokémon was lost on me. Still, at least this one did a good job of explaining the techniques of battling, so I wasn't totally lost going into the next rerun I saw - which, fortunately for me, was "Pokémon! I Choose You".

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
This was an odd episode. I liekd it, but I don't see how the test let the...supervisors?...see if someone was qualified for the League. The test questions had nothing to do with battling as far I as I could tell, the siloette identification was pointless, and the the battles weren't a good measure of skill(what trainer would battle in the League using Pokemon they've never used before?).

V

vulpix

i thought it was funny when Ash Jesse and i think James gets the lowest scores.

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
A funny episode I admit. The quiz portion had it's moments, like Jessie just picking True for everything, and James having bad memories from the Magikarp incident, but I find it hard to believe Ash got every question wrong. (though there were some trick questions, like the one about Vulpix evolving from Ninetales with a fire stone, and who could've gotten that Jigglypuff one right?)

As for the battle portion, it seemed Ash and James really got screwed in terms of choices. James had to figure out a way to beat a Graveler who can OHKO using a Pikachu, I mean jees, talk about a disadvantage. I was pretty impressed by the way Ash was able to use Weezing in beating Flareon, that was good. I was a bit confused about how his Arbok apperently "overloaded Jolteon's spikes" though... And don't get me started on the whole Meowth vs Vaporeon thing... he didn't have a chance.

But look at what Nurse Joy had, having a Squirtle use Water Gun on a Charmander... yeah... that takes real skill. >.>

That teacher guy's voice really got on my nerves too... ><

Did it occur to Ash, Misty and Brock that they forgot Todd as they were leaving? o_O

I give this episode a 5/10.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
If I'm not mistaken, the last panel was only for the lowest scores. Jessie got kicked out, so she got an automatic zero. I seriously doubt the screen was only for those who completely failed. Besides, it's been pointed out that Ash had at least one question right (I forgot which one). We can only imagine what James's score was. :)

Incidentally, it's interesting that Ash, James, and Jessie were never chastised for talking during a test (or at least Ash, since he was the loudest).

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
This was a really good episode (the jigglypuff gag still gets me).

But one thing I never understood was, did Ash get Teams Rockets pokemon?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I don't think they were Team Rocket's pokemon, they were just trained pokemon from the school (much like in season six's "Gonna Rule the School"). Apart from Meowth, obviously, I can tell a difference in the Arbok, which has a lower voice than Jessie's did.

Kenta master

Marsh Trainer
Nice Team

For me this episode it's sort of special, because this time Team Rocket used an Nice combination Team ;006; ;002; ;025; . but next it was no fun when Ash got team Rocket's PKMN Team ;052; ;024; ;110; , to obvious and weird, he lost anyway, Lol

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I saw this episode before I really understood pokemon, so it was a bit wierd to watch. I wish they'd do something like this again, to see how they would do now.