• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Universe: Lets Debate its Origin.

The Universe. How did it get here

• Bran theroy

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Multiverse theroy

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Black Holes

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • A god did it

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Many gods did it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Time is Cylindric

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Big bang, Big Crush

Votes: 41 45.6%

• Total voters

jefferies

Just to clarify, you don't see me quoting Smolin, do you? I would apprciate if you would pay enough attention to the actual claims being made and avoid putting words in my mouth. Let PokeJustice talk about Smolin.

And you call Stephen Hawking's position marginal? Thanks for proving my point about your lack of willingness to debate.

No you weren’t quoting Smolin, but Pokejustice was. And then you answered a post that wasn’t directed at you. You stated, that I was flippantly debunking the views of senior scientists as though it were due to misplaced arrogance. I wanted Pokejustice to admit that he was using scientific ideas that were at odds with mainstream science (credit to him, he did). And I called Smolin’s position marginal, not Hawking…Your initial point that I was unwilling to debate because I didn’t accept ideas that supported your views is fatuous.

But quoting scientists, especially modern experts like Stephen Hawking, is greatly preferable to making claims with no kind of source whatsoever. I'm going to go out on a limb because I haven't searched every post of yours, but I don't see you using any kind of source (perhaps I missed it). Instead, you claim that "the scientific method shows this," and "the scientific consensus agrees with me." You have shown no evidence for any of these claims.

Let me explain the reasoning for not accepting such an illegitimate approach to unveiling the truth on a subject such as the origin of the universe. There are several formulations for systems describing quantum gravity. I’ll use two examples that most on this forum seem familiar with: String theory and Loop quantum gravity. The model for the origin of our universe under string theory can be described by two colliding membranes in 11-dimenional hyperspace. Where as, loop quantum gravity posits a cyclic model of the universe, or a ‘big bounce’ model. Such theories of quantum gravity are formulated by the greatest minds on the planet, they are formulated by intellectuals who posses intellectual accolades equal or greater than those of Hawking. This is why no self-respecting scientist would submit a doctorate and attempt to vindicate his/her assertions by quoting another scientist. This is why scientists back their claims by experimental evidence. As I’ve shown, numerous scientific minds are in disagreement to what is truth. We see the world’s greatest minds at odds. So, it follows they can’t all be right, some of those intellectuals must be wrong. It is simply impossible to accept all scientific ideas. It is only ideas possesing categorical, definitive, exact, reproducible and indisputable experimental evidence that we may accept. Thus evidence, logic and mathematics are preferable, words aren't. There are too many contradicting opinions for them to be preferable.

When I said "the scientific consensus agrees with me” I thought sourcing evidence would be unnecessary for such a mainstream idea. I believe it was the fundamental uncertainty I was mentioning. If you want to see that such ideas are mainstream pick up a highschool textbook. This will evidence my claim that my views reflect the scientific consensus.

There are a lot of good responses to this. I can think of three:
  1. Do you realize you've changed your claim?
    The probability of something existing is different from the probability of something coming into existence. I would agree that the probability of an "omni" God coming into existence is...well, more than just improbable; I'd say it is impossible. However, to calculate the probability of something like the existence of Bigfoot, you would have to analyze the available evidence. And even Richard Dawkins states he's only 97% sure God doesn't exist
  2. This could be stated of anything proposed as the cause of our universe.
    Do you realize that I could say "any set of laws complex enough to start our universe are not likely to exist"? I don't make that argument because something complex enough to start the universe...did. Whether it be God, branes, another universe, or laws, our universe was started by something complex enough to start the universe.
  3. Probabilities employ numerical calculations....You didn't.

1. I didn’t change my claim I extended it to show how lacking your rebuttal was. Probability may exist independent of time. Time is not a requisite for probability. Let’s assume we have a pile of sand that pre-dates our universe. It can take any shape possible, we can deduce that a sand castle is far less probable than a random assorted pattern. Now it’s hard to produce a definite numerical probability but simple deduction can be used to determine which states are more probable than others. You’ve already done this, by agreeing that a being with omni prefixes is a statistical impossibility. No calculations, were used.

2.I’ll try simplify the point. God knowingly created the universe, thus he is a complex being. He has a statistically significant level of consciousness. Laws are not complex they are simply fundamental parameters on the interactions of a universe, they do not know what they’re doing. Thus, independent of time, the state in which a conscious God resides is less probable, given the difference in complexity.

3. This is nonsense. If I toss a coin I can say that the event: the coin will lands heads, is more likely than the event: the coin will turn into a horse. We can (often) logically deduce which events are more or less probable than others without a numerical calulation.

I wasn't asking a question. I was stating why I don't ask such a question. However, it looks like you've opened up a whole new can of worms here. It seems almost like the above paragraph indicates that you believe the mass-energy of our universe...came from somewhere else. But that impression is mistaken, isn't it? I request clarification.

And more importantly, if there's no mass-energy upon which entropy can operate, how can there be time? .

This was what the whole Smolin thing was about, wasn’t it? The uncertainty principle coupled with an inflationary epoch can lead to the multiverse. So no, our universe came from ‘somewhere’ elsewhere. Presumably, the multiverse ‘foam’. The elegance of the theory of inflationary epochs coupled with Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle is that the universe needs nothing for its birth, literally nothing. The universe may form from a state containing a modicum of energy, a near infinite energy supply, or none at all. So, in essence I believe energy pre-dates our universe. However, entropy would still exist irrespective of energy. It is a law manifest of statistics and mathematical order.

I don't think I would state that time is the mere product of natural laws, but I understand the idea of time being altered by things like gravity. As such, the whole foundation of my counterargument is the idea God is not a part of this universe and, as such, is not subject to the laws of this universe. The assertion that God must be subject to the laws of this universe would need proof that God is a part of this universe,

I presume you’re alluding to Einstein’s theory of general relativity. This describes how time behaves and can be warped by mass, not why times exists. It is entropy that explains the arrow of time. The assertion that God is subject to laws born from statistical and logical order needs no clarification, these laws by their defining qualities transcend our universe.

Of the possible causes of the Big Bang and the beginning of the universe, I am convinced some form of God is the most logical explanation. Invoking cyclical universes, events in other universes, branes, or unobservable events inside black holes are poor explanations.

Why are they poor explanations? And why is God the most logical explanation?

Last edited:

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
Starstruck: You didn't actually mention any other religions in that post. Besides there are all kind of loopholes and arguments to the problem of nothing to something.

1: There wasn't nothing before the big bang.
And where did that particular something come from? I, in particular, have a problem with people who insist that God doesn't exist, and then attempt to explain it in a way that makes it painfully obvious to point out that their arguments do allow for the presence of a God.
2: Causality loop, the universe caused itself.
Nonsense. Atoms cannot replicate; this is not a technicality but a simple truth.
3: The Big Bang wasn't the beginning, just the beginning of this current universe which will cycle back to big crunch and big bang again.
This is not only the hardest to refute, but the hardest to prove.
4: The laws of the universe, e.g. gravity, conservation of energy and mass etc., didn't exist before the universe so it wouldn't be impossible for something to come from nothing.
But there was nothing to cause it to happen. A proto-universe with no matter or energy or anything else to cause excitement and really wild parties is pretty stagnant and would probably (and logically) require an outside force to cause anything to happen.

And so we get back to this. I believe that Big Bang theory is entirely false, but that God is present all throughout time, post-time, and proto-time. He's just...there, and his influence is considerable.
I detect a disturbance in your tone. Allow me to reiterate that I am stating that there is not enough knowledge, intelligence, and coherence on this particular topic to make for a successful debate. It would be like attempting a debate with a lonely Russian farm boy on why Americans are obese.

The Big Bang theory is not a myth, it is a theory. Rather obvious distinction, that. There is a vast amount of evidence for the big bang as a cosmological event, what is not certain is why such an event occurred, what caused it, if it even had a cause etc. etc.
As to the Garden of Eden, Stavrakopoulou certainly agrees that it is true, except that by true what she means is that it was a literal Garden, one of many, believed to house a single diety in a vast pantheon that was worshiped at the time.
Never underestimate oral history.

So the Big Bang:

Some space dust that was minding its own business suddenly exploded, and that's where the Universe came from.
We've been through this in this thread already. Krauss, Stenger and Zhao say this is not the case, others disagree. It's the sort of debate that few are qualified to have, as Pokejustice and I found out. The point is, your statement is not the truism you believe it to be.
Apologies. I didn't consider reading through the thread as carefully as if I had been one of the debaters to be of the highest priority, and skipped several pages altogether in a quick read-through.

I'm going to phase out of the debate for a while. I really do not feel much like debating, and the summer has been preplanned into oblivion. Thus, any responses to this post will be steadfastly ignored unless someone else chooses to answer them.

Peace!

Alex0511

What the FFFNYAAAAH?
Well you see, when a Mommy Dwarf Star, and a Daddy Dwarf Star love eachother very much...

What a perfect and ingenious explanation...I'm kidding, but still, it made my day.

Anyways, what the hell is the bran theory?

Last edited:

Alex0511

What the FFFNYAAAAH?
I believe Alex that if we eat more bran we'll be less full of shi....

That's enough for me to know, thank you very much. But it does say something about some of the people on this thread...*coughredfishcough*

Of the possible causes of the Big Bang and the beginning of the universe, I am convinced some form of God is the most logical explanation. Invoking cyclical universes, events in other universes, branes, or unobservable events inside black holes are poor explanations.

Your explanation is just as poor. You have no proof there is a God. He is not here as a person, as a cloud of mist, or anything else. We're all talking about theories! Theories, that have not been proven by any means! If there is a God, show some proof.

Sorry if I'm sounding rather harsh but some of you have no evidence of a God creating the universe. You just blatantly say "God created the universe." without any form of proof or evidence that this is what happened. Also, the Bible is not evidence for anyones theory. The Bible is words on pieces of paper, many things in the Bible (if not all) have not been proven, and you guys are just sounding more and more senile and crazy if you saying a book who could have possibly been written by a bunch of lunatics for all we know, is proving that there is a God and that he created the universe.

I rest my case.

Last edited:

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
Also, the Bible is not evidence for your theory. The Bible is words on pieces of paper, many things in the Bible (if not all) have not been proven....
If you will notice, TFP never even mentioned the Bible in the post you quoted. And I must point out that your statement "if not all" is terribly erroneous.

and you guys are just sounding more and more like Alzheimer's patients if you saying a book who could have possibly been written by a lunatic for all we know, is proving that there is a God and that he created the universe.
My grandpa died of Alzheimer's. After he declined a substantial amount, his conversations were way less coherent than most of the posts in the last page. You speak where you do not have knowledge, Alex0511.

Do you mean to say that more than 20 people from across a millennium, are all the same lunatic? We know that there were multiple people who wrote the Bible. And the fact that you don't know this...does not lend weight to your argument....at all.

I'd love to see some ancient historians who think these all authors are lunatics....

Alex0511

What the FFFNYAAAAH?
If you will notice, TFP never even mentioned the Bible in the post you quoted. And I must point out that your statement "if not all" is terribly erroneous.

I never mentioned TFP and The Bible together in my previous post, now did I?

My grandpa died of Alzheimer's. After he declined a substantial amount, his conversations were way less coherent than most of the posts in the last page. You speak where you do not have knowledge, Alex0511.

I meant senile. I was thinking of Alzheimer's at the moment, and never noticed that I typed this instead of the latter. Anyways, I am sorry for the loss, whenever it might had been.

Do you mean to say that more than 20 people from across a millennium, are all the same lunatic? We know that there were multiple people who wrote the Bible. And the fact that you don't know this...does not lend weight to your argument....at all.

I'd love to see some ancient historians who think these all authors are lunatics....

...touche. But this still proves nothing of a God creating the universe. Not that you support it.

Last edited:

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!
Maybye a powerful god/force (NOT RELIGIOUS GODS) made the big bang. thats what I think

Mrs Mime

a little haphazard
Based on what we know surely the scientific explainations seem the most realistic.

Last edited:

lugia p

zekrom trainer
God created it

agreed the bible even states the proof it says God made one land come out of the water then people created the tower of bable and he split the people up so they cant talk the same and he broke up the land into varies peaces and 1 day to him is a 1000 years to us so this make sence in science terms

lugia p

zekrom trainer
Your explanation is just as poor. You have no proof there is a God. He is not here as a person, as a cloud of mist, or anything else. We're all talking about theories! Theories, that have not been proven by any means! If there is a God, show some proof..

If you want proof read the Bible its more proof then a science book. The reason you cant see God is hes not in this dimension hes in a nother called heaven you cant see into other dimensions so how can you expect to see him. He created this universe and how can you say there is no proof if you look at dna it has to have a creater its so perfect name one othe thing in nature thats that even and perfect.

iShock

Real name is PixL8
God did create it. That Big Bang thoery doesn't make sense at all. Where did that small ball of energy come from in the first place, and how did it form such a massive explosion? All impossible.

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
God did create it. That Big Bang thoery doesn't make sense at all. Where did that small ball of energy come from in the first place, and how did it form such a massive explosion? All impossible.

Not imposible just counter intutive. The total sum energy of the universe is zero, so it is quite posible

lugia p

zekrom trainer
Not imposible just counter intutive. The total sum energy of the universe is zero, so it is quite posible

how is it zero there is no such thing as negative energy is there? any way if the big bang is true that would just mean that God used it to create stuff

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
how is it zero there is no such thing as negative energy is there? any way if the big bang is true that would just mean that God used it to create stuff

Gravity is the negetive energy in our universe. (It is a pulling force, energy is a pushing force) B/c gravity is a local force energy can still expand the universe. However while a god or gods may have done it there are a host of other ways our universe could have formed.

lugia p

zekrom trainer
Gravity is the negetive energy in our universe. (It is a pulling force, energy is a pushing force) B/c gravity is a local force energy can still expand the universe. However while a god or gods may have done it there are a host of other ways our universe could have formed.

but then how did gravity come into exsenstence