1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

the unofficial tell us what you think about this section thread.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by (s.i.e), Oct 22, 2009.

?

your thoughts about this section?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2010.
  1. i love it

26.7%
  2. it's okay

46.7%
  3. neutral

6.7%
  4. below standards but do-able

20.0%
  5. not good at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. (s.i.e)

(s.i.e) ★skydragon★

seeing as this section undertakes changements from time to time i think it is a good investment to add a topic for us members to share our thoughts about what we think of certain changements that could be improved and things that are a welcome sight on this section.

give your opinion, mention the changements that you find helpful and if needed share your experiences about those of which you think that are bad for the wealth of this section. anything you mention can be considered useful.

do know, this thread is for feedback about this section so try to be as detailed as you can and no hateposts about other people.

NOTE:
    polls are available, use it while you are here please.

Edit:
    if you decide to post here please try to be detailed about why you think things are going good or bad,
    you don't have to write a whole page but people one liners and postcount +1 just isn't the point of why i made this thread.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. projectaumaan

projectaumaan Well-Known Member

Wth is a changement? You mean "changes?" Any changes I've seen have all been for the better...

3. ShinyPichu4Ever

ShinyPichu4Ever Eye of the Storm

I like how it is. I don't have any suggestions for any new changes though.

4. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty much back in the same place the last time this type of thread was posted. A bunch of closed threads that could be merged/soft deleted*/physically removed push back the handful of good threads.

The Battle Hall (Battle Tower rankings for D/P and Battle Frontier rankings for Plat) are something like on page 3 and page 12. Ironically, a lot of threads cluttering up are Battle Tower advice and strategies, which get closed and stay there to "remind" us what a bad thread looks like.

Now, this isn't really the fault of either the forum users or the staff. There's a good number of topics that seem to overlap My Dppt Games and DPpt Discussion. Tier placements, roles of Pokemon, threads related to breeding, and threads discussing plot points seem to be tolerated in both sections.

So I think clearly defining what each section actually is for would help:

4th gen discussion: This is the place you would go to discuss topics directly related to the games, basically the plot. In-Game character discussion, sprite designs, and so on. I think Game Help would be fine here too.

Pokemon D/P/Plat Discussion: Basically anything beyond the games. EV training, breeding, tier discussion, battle tactics, Battle Tower/Frontier, etc...

--Sub-forum My Dppt Ga,es Polls: Any topic that gets those three word answers (What nature did your Flower Paradise Shaymin get?, for example), very little to no discussion.

Now, concerning this forum:

Even if the Game Help stays here, I don't think D/P and Plat need two different threads at this point. Most of the questions asked can be applied to either game, and in the rare circumstance that it can't, the poster can specify.

Can we please get rid of the closed threads that just clutter up the page? I know staff will still see them, but at least soft-delete them, please? It takes forever if I want to find a thread that's last post was...5 days ago because it's behind 4 pages of "Where do I find X, Y, or Z?" threads.

While I've been vocal about keeping the # of stickied threads down, I think this would be a good set up:

Game Help for D/P/Plat
    Battle Hall Rankings for D/P/Plat.
    EV Training guide and help thread.
    Rules.
    Is my Pokemon hacked?

The hack check thread actually has good discussion in it, and isn't just yet another +1 post count thread like most Polls threads are.

Really, it's no better or worse than a few months ago. The same problem is still there: the number of closed threads cluttering the forum.

EDIT: I know it's not too bad right now on page 1, but it's pretty obvious a number of them are going to get closed soon. I did notice a couple of moves or meres, but it'd be nice without the re-direct (unless that's some sort of admin policy, which is completely understandable)

5. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

I think its okay, but nothing to really write home about.

BTW, how come when a mod closes a thread, they just don't delete the thread. Not like an old and long thread, but a thread about "Where can I find (insert thing here)?"

6. randomspot555

To be fair, regular users won't be able to tell a thread is deleted...since we won't be able to see it. Vbulletin mods, depending on their rank, can either "soft-delete" or "physically remove". Soft delete removes it from being seen to the general users. Physical removal means it's completely removed from the board.

If they move or merge it, there's an option to leave a re-direct of where the thread originally was, either permanently or a fixed amount of time.

7. ClassicalwaterPokemon

ClassicalwaterPokemon Well-Known Member

I think that the thread is fine,It doesn't need any changes.

8. TheFightingPikachu

TheFightingPikachu Smashing!

The good threads are being crowded out by junk! I am becoming quite disturbed. I believe that making the threads sticky might be a good answer, but people can just post in the good threads to save them.

Either way, something needs to be done!

EDIT: Basically the same thing is happening to the general 4th Gen Discussion!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. (s.i.e)

(s.i.e) ★skydragon★

i see what you mean, this thread is also being pushed away out of sight and out of mind. it's quite annoyin g that almost no discussion here stays alive long enough.

this section is becoming a forumsewer.

10. randomspot555

Well, when a thread for "The worst Pokemon...." is a successful, good thread with 4 pages and most of the posts being "[Pokemon name]" or "[Pokemon name] is the worst" or "I agree." it's clear that actual discussion isn't what forum posters are looking for.

11. (s.i.e)

(s.i.e) ★skydragon★

nope, this place is a postcountfarm.
    personaly i don't think the mods get involved enough in this section, i know that they can't be around 24/7 here but all i see them do is closing up stuff everyday.

i mean look at the misc for example, the spam is way less and the mods there often talk with the people who visit that place, that's how it's supposed to be.

12. Hiro__

Hiro__ ∞Melancholy∞

I like it as is, probably because it was like this when i joined... but whatever, i just think all of the closed forums need to be cleaned up and deleted... other than that, i have no complaints...

13. randomspot555

You joined...earlier this month. I'm not saying OLD SCHOOL POSTERS 4 LYFE D00DZ because I didn't join that long ago either. But just because this is a +1postcount forum when you join doesn't make it good.

What closed forums? I doubt any closed forums are available to the general public.

As for what you said s.i.e, I know Miscellaneous tends to have forum specific mods. I don't know if they actually are forum specific mods, or they're actually Smods who just generally hang out in Misc. It's a different culture there, and it's good that they have someone who understands it monitoring them. But there doesn't seem to be an equivalent of that here.

BUT THIS ISN'T A SUGGESTION FOR AN INCREASE OF MODS, or more infractions or whatever. That's not my place to suggest, and I don't think there's any reason for it.

It's really a fairly simple solution to a fairly simple problem. Instead of letting a thread stay on page 1, closed, for days on end, merge the useful post in the appropriate thread, or soft delete/physically remove it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  14. (s.i.e)

(s.i.e) ★skydragon★

it's both, some Smods hang around there but there are also guys like ethan (babylon) and grumpy old man who take care of both the rules and the social atmosphere.

anyway, it's clear of what we ask from the mods but it was already proposed before, i was told that the mods wanted the members to see all the closed threads as a warning that spam will not be tolerated here.
    however i was also told that if it would't work after the release of pokemon platinum in the US that the idea would be reconsidered.

that happened around the time that my D/P games section was still new.