• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unova Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I think he meant something more along the lines of, if everybody thought like you. There would be no Pokemon White players and no way to get the pokemon you were looking for. Selfish probably wasn't the right word to use...

To be fair though, Black players will end up relying on White players that little bit more considering the extra 30 or so pokemon that can only be caught in white. I wouldn't call it parasitic either but it's there and you can't deny it.

you can also transfer pokemon so, it arent only white players who you can get them from.

whats this about anyway? cant someone like one version better than the other without being 'black-centric' or something? if someone says the other version sucks, so what? they dont have to be equally liked

tmega90

Pokemon Trainer
I think that I am really going to like White Forest. I like that I will be able to catch all the different Pokemon. It won't be hard for me to change the Pokemon because my brother is going to have black.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
you can also transfer pokemon so, it arent only white players who you can get them from.

whats this about anyway? cant someone like one version better than the other without being 'black-centric' or something? if someone says the other version sucks, so what? they dont have to be equally liked

(Thank you, Sponge, for articulating what I wanted to say better than I could.)

Now, let me ask you: What's in it for the people who get the White version? Is there any reason to get the White version, if you're just going to get Pokémon from previous generation, then is there any reason to choose the White version at all?

I'm not arguing for everyone to like them equally; I'm just arguing to see things through other people's points of views and see flaws in thinking that way.

By the way, I intend to get the White version because I know some of you guys will get the Black version.

R_N

I am getting White version because it has the better exclusives

The aesthetically pleasing White Forest is a nice bonus.
Also that I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of money in order to buy something.

I lose out on more trainers to fight, but there's plenty of those and I like catching Pokemon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think that I am really going to like White Forest. I like that I will be able to catch all the different Pokemon. It won't be hard for me to change the Pokemon because my brother is going to have black.

You're lucky. I believe that you can enter the Black City/White Forest from the opposite version via the High Link feature, which would mean you'd have access to both areas and not just one like most people. I would really consider getting both Black version and White version if the version-exclusive areas had more stuff to do in them. Battling and catching Pokemon is only fun for so long :s

tmega90

Pokemon Trainer
You're lucky. I believe that you can enter the Black City/White Forest from the opposite version via the High Link feature, which would mean you'd have access to both areas and not just one like most people. I would really consider getting both Black version and White version if the version-exclusive areas had more stuff to do in them. Battling and catching Pokemon is only fun for so long :s

That is cool that you can do that. That way me and my brother can play in each others areas.

Grei

not the color
Perhaps I'm interpreting the post wrong--ideally, the best thing that would happen is if the people buying Black and the people buying White were exactly equal in number. For every person getting Pokémon in White Forest, there would be someone who'd want that Pokémon in Black City.

What I read felt really Black-centric to me, and I thought you intended to take advantage of people with the White version. It sounded to me like, "Let the guys with the White version do the dirty work; I'll do the fun part." So with that, I thought, "So then, what's in it for people with the White version? What reason would someone get the White version for?"

Not quite. I was simply saying that I would rather not complete my Pokedex by raising a bunch of Pokemon from Level 5 upwards, and instead I'd take advantage of my Wi-Fi connection and use the GTS to obtain the Pokemon I battled in Black City.

I think he meant something more along the lines of, if everybody thought like you. There would be no Pokemon White players and no way to get the pokemon you were looking for. Selfish probably wasn't the right word to use...

To be fair though, Black players will end up relying on White players that little bit more considering the extra 30 or so pokemon that can only be caught in white. I wouldn't call it parasitic either but it's there and you can't deny it.

That makes it sound less like an attack. ._.

(also, see below)

Now, let me ask you: What's in it for the people who get the White version? Is there any reason to get the White version, if you're just going to get Pokémon from previous generation, then is there any reason to choose the White version at all?

I think you're under the impression that White players get the short end of the stick as far as connection-based unlockables go.

The thing is, people who have Pokemon White don't automatically get all 30 of those Pokemon in White Forest--they begin with a set amount (same amount as Black gets with trainers) and, through interaction with Black players, may unlock more wild Pokemon in their game file's White Forest. Black players need White players in order to get Trainers with new Pokemon in Black City, but White players rely on Black players to be able to catch different wild Pokemon in White City. Again, it's hand-in-hand, like Yin and Yang--without both parties working equally, success cannot be reached.

As far as items go, it seems both versions give you the same items just as they both give you the same Pokemon lines, it's just that the items in White Forest are found instead of bought like they are in Black City. That's a trade-off, too; Either pay high prices for items and gain GTS access to fully-evolved Pokemon in Black City, or get items for free but be forced to raise low-level Pokemon in White Forest.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Oh, I was unaware of that--I thought both versions require you to buy the items at the same price.

Though those questions were in response to a post saying that they plan to get the Pokémon from the 4th-generation games anyhow. That requires 2 DS's though, which I know pretty few people will actually have. (Just like how the Eon Ticket was a complete failure in the 3rd generation because few people had two Game Boy Advances.)

Grei

not the color
Oh, I was unaware of that--I thought both versions require you to buy the items at the same price.

Nope. So, that's one cool thing in White--you can find very rare items like Evolutionary Stones and the like instead of having to buy them in Black. (Of course, if you can buy an infinite number of items in Black, that's also a +1 for Black users.)

I'm fairly certain I'm getting White Version anyhow.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
I'm going with White version purely for Zekrom, I like his design better, then theres also the fact that Dragon and Electric are my two favourite types so I gotta get the Pokemon that is a mixture of the two.

I'm still not liking the Pokemon renames though, Mijumaru was going to be my starter but I dislike the 'Oshawott' name or whatever so much I'm now going with Snivy, prefered Tsutarja as its name, but Snivy isn't so bad I guess...

Sunsurge

.:Judgement:.
I'm going with White version purely for Zekrom, I like his design better, then theres also the fact that Dragon and Electric are my two favourite types so I gotta get the Pokemon that is a mixture of the two.

I'm still not liking the Pokemon renames though, Mijumaru was going to be my starter but I dislike the 'Oshawott' name or whatever so much I'm now going with Snivy, prefered Tsutarja as its name, but Snivy isn't so bad I guess...

You DO know that when Oshawott(Miju) and Snivy(Tsutarja) evolve, they're going to have DIFFERENT names? What if you like Oshawott's final form name over whatever they choose for Snivy? *shakes head*

Anyways, I was going with White version too, cause Zekrom is awesome being dragon/electric. But Black City is waaay more interesting than a forest. >_>

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
You DO know that when Oshawott(Miju) and Snivy(Tsutarja) evolve, they're going to have DIFFERENT names? What if you like Oshawott's final form name over whatever they choose for Snivy? *shakes head*

Anyways, I was going with White version too, cause Zekrom is awesome being dragon/electric. But Black City is waaay more interesting than a forest. >_>

That thought had occurred to me and as such my choice may change when their names are revealed, I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see.

Sponge

True, but that still means that Black players have to rely more on transfering pokemon than White players do.

I'm not saying which version you should get btw....everyone should get whatever they want. I was just pointing out that Pokemon White has a few more pokemon actually in the game from the start. So without any external influences (4th gen games) it has the advantage pokemon numbers wise over Black.

There are plenty of ways to get any pokemon you want though...so it doesn't really matter that much which version you get. Also the chances of nearly everyone happening to get black are so unlikely it's hardly worth thinking about. It'll all be fine.

Last edited:

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
(Thank you, Sponge, for articulating what I wanted to say better than I could.)

I'm not arguing for everyone to like them equally; I'm just arguing to see things through other people's points of views and see flaws in thinking that way.

By the way, I intend to get the White version because I know some of you guys will get the Black version.
uh? i was just saying people shouldnt go like: o you like one version too much and should like the other a bit more or something like that, i didnt say anything about reasons to pick black over white or whatever you're implying with that question(that has nothing to do with what i said)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Huh, I just realized that we never got a proper map of the Isshu/Unova region. All we really have is that first map that was revealed last summer. I remember tons of people saying we'd get a more detailed version of the map once the games were released, but here we are in November and still no detailed map. I guess Game Freak thought the first map would be enough to keep everyone satisfied. I just miss the days when we'd have maps that had entire cities drawn on them and not just a few houses to mark where the cities should be.

GrilledCheese2theMAX

Soon2B PokemonMaster
I like how it's based off the United States

I love this region (I haven't even been there)
But it's based off The United States so HA!;078;

Varnani

Infernus Rex
I'm not quite satisfied with goingo from Isshu to Unova. It makes me think of eggs (uova = eggs in Italian) and in any case I fail to see what was wrong with "Isshu" in the first place.

razz

BCVM22

It makes me think of eggs (uova = eggs in Italian)

Which is why the region is named Unima in the Italian localization. Problem solved!

and in any case I fail to see what was wrong with "Isshu" in the first place.

It's odd how you complain Unova reminds you too much of the Italian word for "eggs" but don't see why they weren't going to have three games, four years of the anime and thus the entirety of the United States (plus much of Canada and at least some of Mexico) all saying "the issue region".

Pikacu

Cant Beat The Heat!
Which is why the region is named Unima in the Italian localization. Problem solved!

It's odd how you complain Unova reminds you too much of the Italian word for "eggs" but don't see why they weren't going to have three games, four years of the anime and thus the entirety of the United States (plus much of Canada and at least some of Mexico) all saying "the issue region".

In other terms they tried to make it as simple as possible for the Americans

Manchee

extra toasty
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there really any point to Kanawa Town other then the few items there? I like the landscape of the town and stuff, but you can't really go anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I was missing anything or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.