• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unova Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Trial house 4thK, My personal Fave, only 5 battles and you get a cool certifrakit! I have almost gotten a perfect. It works differently than normal Battle facilities, it creates the next team based on how you performed in the last battle, choosing pokemon that will give the 3 you picked a good run.

For example, I had Rhypherior, Flygon, and Emboar, I beat person 1 (who had Joltik, Shellder, and Ferroseed) and Person 2 came out with Salamence, Scizor, Kingdra.

kemal07

The ferris wheel is kinda different isn't it lol.
Within the Unova region wheres the best place to train my Poke's after all trainers E4 etc are beaten?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Trial house 4thK, My personal Fave, only 5 battles and you get a cool certifrakit! I have almost gotten a perfect. It works differently than normal Battle facilities, it creates the next team based on how you performed in the last battle, choosing pokemon that will give the 3 you picked a good run.

Thanks, I just did some more research on that facility. I had no idea what purpose it served, but it seems to exist as a place to test out your teams' overall potential, which is sort of cool. I have this feeling that my team would get a low ranking though, since I rarely rely on strategy and I just use moves that are strong against the opponent's Pokemon lol. I might just try it out when I get to Nimbasa City in the English games. It seems like a fun place where you can just battle for fun.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Daily yes, a traded pokemon with the lucky egg gains insane amounts in there, wild pokemon, try the Giant Chasm, that cave on route 9 and the double grass on route 13.

That ferris-wheel hiker sure is quite... strange.

But is this the official english text? I don't hope so because this sounds quite ambiguous.

No, it's a fan translation.

Where are those weird Pokémon names coming from?

I forgot whoever made this translation also kinda translated the pokémon names. And I can't get who they are for the most part >__> Good thing it's irrelevant, though.

I read in bulbapedia that the people on the ferris wheel talk in sexual puns (they had a complicated name for it... double entendres). I wonder what N says when you get on XP...
The main problem with BW is that it's suited for new players. They programed everything, from levels, the lineir walkthrough and no grass in between routes so it won't be hard for them, which really sucks for experienced players. I hope they change that in [grey] 3game.

Yeah, Masuda said in an interview he made the upper map an hexagon because he's heard of little kids who had issues trying to explore the other regions, so he made it easier.

No, I have no idea how the kids didn't get around Sinnoh/Hoenn, but maybe I'm just too old and Kanto/Johto were really easy or I was a genius when I found Lugia in the Whirl Islands at the tender age of 9 all by myself.

All the cities look the same? Wow then I must be blind because each city looks different to me.

Technically, I'd be the blind guy here, heh. It's more that... I didn't feel "attracted" by almost any city. The only exception was Raimon City I guess, but the other ones left me with a feeling of dejà vu.

Also I find ironic that so many people are complaining about Unova being linear as people complained about the past regions to confusing at times. (Not directing this at you btw) Also Unova at least has a decent amount of things to do after the game which I would gladly take of a region like Hoenn. It was big but that's it. It was big empty space. You found a few items here and there but that's it. Yeah you had the battle tower/battle frontier but and contests if you liked that but yeah. It was fun finding the regis though I'll admit but still. I really loved Johto and the way it was designed and it was pretty small but still fun.

Yeah, ingame R/S had the big problem of having almost nothing to do after the E4; at least it was remedied in Emerald with the Battle Frontier (the best Battle Area until today, imo) and the Safari Zone (also the best one imo). Johto was also incredibly small but we were all kids playing GSC, we had a three-years-later Kanto to visit and many people had nostalgia goggles while playing HGSS, so not many people really complain about it.

I'm actually looking forward to Unova because of the ways each city is designed (yes I spoiled myself but I only saw a portion of each city) and the look of the areas like Pinwheel Forest, Chargestone Cave, the five bridges, and o on.

Chargestone Cave has a Lucky Egg, Joltik :3 and FERROSEED >:|, it's by far the best dungeon before the E4 ~__~

The battle Subway looks cool albeit I won't be there too often but it's a nice change of pace from the usual Battle Tower.

I just wonder what they're going to do with the 3rd version. How do you expand a Subway into 5-7 different facilities ?__?

Needless to say I don't agree with all your statements but everyone has their owns views so this region just may not be for you. On my list I would have:

1. Unova
2. Hoenn
3. Johto
4. Sinnoh
5. Kanto

1. Emerald Hoenn
2. Johto + New Kanto
3. Sinnoh
4. Old Kanto
5. R/S Hoenn
6. Unova

Maybe I'm just being really unfair to Unova, but what can I do, if I had issues with the in-game play.

@Mario With Lasers Why attempt to get us less hyped for a new game? If you dislike the region, that is your problem. I personally have no beef with the layout or how linear a region is, I just want to catch and raise Pokemon. If we can't change your opinion by any means you can't change ours.

(And I think the hexagon thing is coolio)

I don't, I even said so. SpeedSuicune asked for our opinions about Unova really living up to its "hype" or not, so I gave him my opinion. I don't want to make people hate Unova, and I know saying "it sucks" won't make people not want to play by themselves; what I'd rather have is people not getting *too* hyped for Unova, you see. I was pretty hyped about having a new region with new pokémon and no old ones and oh wow 3D city and etc, but in the end I was less than impressed (and I wasn't really expecting anything revolutionary), and I wouldn't want people to be the same. But of course, if people think "it's my problem" and that my opinion doesn't matter, than I guess why would people ask here if they only want to hear positively about the game.

Last edited:

MagnetonNr1

Steel-type Trainer
"I just wonder what they're going to do with the 3rd version. How do you expand a Subway into 5-7 different facilities ?__?"

Maybe the Gear Station gets some stairs leading down to a "second underground floor" (couldn't think of any other expression, sorry) and there the trains have the Battle Rules like in Battle Factory, etc.?

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I must be one of the only people who really liked Sinnoh... It was big and complex like a real region would be.

For me, it's

1. Sinnoh
2. New Johto + Kanto
3. Emerald Hoenn
4. Old Kanto
5. Johto

Can't say anything on Unova as I haven't played the games.

MagnetonNr1

Steel-type Trainer
Oh, you're not alone. I really, really like Sinnoh. I liked the idea of the region being "split into 2 parts" because of that Mountain and I also liked the city designs.

tmega90

Pokemon Trainer
This is my list of favorit regions

1. Unova (I know I am really going to like it)
2. Sinnoh
3. Hoenn
4. Kanto
5. Johto

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think I like Unova enough so that I'd put it near the top of my list. I would have to go with Hoenn as my favorite region first though, since I spent a lot of time in Hoenn in the 3rd Generation games. Unova would come in second since it has some neat locations and Pokemon. Johto would come in third since I have nostalgia. Sinnoh would come in fourth, and Kanto would come in last place. I just never liked Kanto since it seemed small (even smaller than Unova seems). Unova might grow on me as I play through the English games however, so I may have to make a new list soon.

MagnetonNr1

Steel-type Trainer
Well - I made up a ranking for my favorite regions

1. Unova / Einall
2. Sinnoh
3. Johto
4. Hoenn
50. Kanto - yes, Kanto! I hate, hate, hate Kanto! - Lavender Town has ruined my childhood. I was like... 6? I wish I could burn down this city.

Chimchar15

Guys Mario with lasers is entitled to his own opinion I was just giving him my opinion I might have came off a little stronger than I intended. Everybody doesn't have to like the same region. I did like Sinnoh but I got really bored with it afterwards although Oreburgh City, Veilstone City, and Canalave City were amazing.

.:Alex:.

Hoenn and Unova are both really varied, wild and attractive. But Unova's routes really are small and unorganic, and I really don't like linearity. Hoenn had a bunch of routes, and even a town, that you could potentially never come across at all while playing through the game. Still, Unova sure is purdy...

I find the original Johto more appealing than in the remakes. I prefer the bleak, traditional, almost medieval, design of the original. The HGSS version leaned a bit on the bright and generic side. What happened to the pine trees?! The tall, dark green trees that are in the original Gold and Silver define that place!

Kanto's always been a bit... vanilla, for my liking.

Sinnoh is bland and horribly designed. At the very least, I sincerely hope they never do symmetrical towns again.

Felix Thunderheart

Pokemon Breeder J.L.
Guys Mario with lasers is entitled to his own opinion I was just giving him my opinion I might have came off a little stronger than I intended. Everybody doesn't have to like the same region. I did like Sinnoh but I got really bored with it afterwards although Oreburgh City, Veilstone City, and Canalave City were amazing.

No, you're not. People have they own opinion, but he don't have be an (The word mean Donkey) about it. I also don't like the routes on the new game, but other then that. It look fun.

Aurath8

Of the regions I've played/now a lot about.
5. Johto. Two words begin my rant. Wild Pokemon. I find it incredibly irritating having to wade through and endless stream of level 20 pokemon. By gym 8 you should be close to level 37. Route 45 just below Blackthorn city has pokemon at level 23-28. After beating team rocket you headbutt a tree on route 44. You find a level 24 Heracross fighting your lvl 36 Feraligatr. In general the wild pokemon were incredibly low levelled. Too many Kanto pokemon. Sentret should be the normal type of the region, but I run into endless Rattatas. Lots of routes are full of Kanto pokemon yet I have to wait until Kanto to get pokemon like Houndour. Team Rocket are crappy in Johto too. One of their Admins has five facking Koffings and, guess what? His sixth is a Weezing. -.-
The Safari zone was hellish. I have to wait a third of a year for a pokemon I cant catch. Sure.
The champion has three Dragonites.
Most of the pokemon are pretty weak.
Mt. Mortar. There's utterly no reason for this cave to exist at all except that you can get Tyrogue. They could have put him in Dark Cave or Union Cave just as easily. All it does is allow you to get to Mahony Town and force the levels down of all the pokemon there.
TMs like Rock Slide/Shock Wave are post-nat.dex even when they dont deserve to be and would be very useful pre-nat.dex.
4. Hoenn. I've yet to play through Hoenn. I just hope its better than Johto at least.
3. Kanto. I've only played through Kanto in HG/SS so again, I cant really give a verdict too. It seems a vry simple region. Even though, it is a postnatdex location it can still get some plot with stuff like the power plant and Suicune.
2. Sinnoh. Loads of plot. Good level progression. Challenging evil team. No 'cave overload' like in Johto. Good variety of pokemon and a unique pokemon league. Variety in terrain as well. JOhto was all: grass, grass, grassy hill, cave, grass, forest, grass, grass, grass, grass, grassy hill, water route, grass etc. Sinnoh mixes things up.
1. Unova. Havent played this yet but I'm seen the region thanks to youtube and it looks great. I'm constantly finding new pokemon right up until the Elite 4. The routes are linear. I can go through grass if I want to or not. Everything is new and almost all pokemon are usable. I can pick up a Tympole and box it later for Tirtouga, for example. The evil team remains involved throughout the entire storyline and they are central to the plot ansd the eventual story ending. It has potential I expect it will fulfil.

I just wonder what they're going to do with the 3rd version. How do you expand a Subway into 5-7 different facilities ?__?

Two words. Anville Town. The ton currently can only be accesed by train and gives you about 5 items. Its obviously shows future potential.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color

I imagine it won't be the Battle Subway itself that is made into a Frontier, but instead, the Battle Subway will take you to a Battle Frontier. I think that would be a great way to transition into it without making the Battle Frontier incredibly lame (having each train being a different facility wouldn't work well, I imagine) and while keeping the Battle Subway intact.

I'd love a remote location for the Battle Frontier this time around. I didn't like that Sinnoh's and Johto's was just sort of tacked on to an already-existing town or route. Emerald's Battle Frontier was the best, and what added to the experience was that it was its own location on its own, with its own residents and everything.

If some location became a Battle Frontier (like, say, Lacunosa (Kagome) Town), I'd be alright with that, though. I just want a fleshed-out one, and it'd be awesome if the Battle Subway took you there.

Mario with Lasers said:
1. Emerald Hoenn
2. Johto + New Kanto
3. Sinnoh
4. Old Kanto
5. R/S Hoenn
6. Unova

I have to agree that Emerald's Hoenn was very very nice. Especially with the Battle Frontier and other additions. It was definitely the most diverse region we've ever had.

Though I personally wouln't rate HGSS Johto that high. Johto was great but it felt too similar to GSC Johto, which was already somewhat boring. The best part about it was the "Golden Forest," the Pokeathlon, and Cianwood City (and the areas added near there). Everything else, to me, could have been not-so-bland.

I'd rate it like so, with all of the regions being rated on their most recent appearance (1=most-liked, 4=least-liked):

1. Sinnoh
2. Hoenn
3. Johto
4. Kanto

I can't say anything about Unova yet. I'm sure I'll love it, but I haven't experienced it first-hand, so... can't give a proper opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.