• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unova Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varnani

Infernus Rex
1.Which is why the region is named Unima in the Italian localization. Problem solved!

2.It's odd how you complain Unova reminds you too much of the Italian word for "eggs" but don't see why they weren't going to have three games, four years of the anime and thus the entirety of the United States (plus much of Canada and at least some of Mexico) all saying "the issue region".
I do thank you for your answers, but I must clarify that I was not complaining.

1. Just because I say that about Italian doesnt mean I'm Italian myself, I'm just fluent in it owo. My comment was purely fact-oriented.

2. Well thats a matter of perception. I would have never come up with that kind of concept (which might as well become racist in some way), specially from something that was done in a foreign country who's language is (literally) miles away from English and therefore, having a pun on the region name for American players was not what they aimed for.

Then again, as I said, its a matter of perception. The US probably just did not want to wait until the pun started rolling.

razz

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there really any point to Kanawa Town other then the few items there? I like the landscape of the town and stuff, but you can't really go anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I was missing anything or not.

It doesn't appear so. I mean, nothing of importance really happens there, which is probably why it isn't represented by a dot on the map. I thought it's lack of a dot meant it was more "secret" than anything, but it probably just means "unimportant."

BCVM22

The US probably just did not want to wait until the pun started rolling.

That's it exactly. Again, you just can't have an entire continent and four years' worth of materials all saying "the issue [Isshu] region", regardless of the fact that Isshu comes from a Japanese word and probably does sound different from "issue" when spoken by a native Japanese speaker.

It's just one of those little things that arises in localization. They deal with it and move on, and given that Unova comes from largely the same etymology as Isshu does, I think they did the best they could.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
So this is what Pokemon's fanbase has come to...

Ememew

Emerald Mew
Would the Isshu/issue jokes really have been that big of a deal? I mean, they'd be annoying at first (they were here), but after everybody and their brother's heard it, it would probably wind down . . .

Calling Isshu "Unova" is taking some getting used to . . . (might just be that I don't really enjoy renames)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It doesn't appear so. I mean, nothing of importance really happens there, which is probably why it isn't represented by a dot on the map. I thought it's lack of a dot meant it was more "secret" than anything, but it probably just means "unimportant."

You're gonna hurt Kanawa Town's feelings by calling it unimportant! Haha, seriously though, I think Kanawa Town is just supposed to be a retreat of sorts. It just seems like a place where you can just sort of relax and listen to the music that plays in the area. There aren't any battles going on there but there are item traders who you can talk to and trade stuff with. Its just a laid-back area that is away from the hustle and bustle of the big cities of Unova.

Sponge

Would the Isshu/issue jokes really have been that big of a deal? I mean, they'd be annoying at first (they were here), but after everybody and their brother's heard it, it would probably wind down . . .

This is why I think it had nothing to do with the Issue jokes, I mean think about the Wii, it had an even worse name when you think about it. Look at all the jokes made about it.

Crystal_Power

The Champion!
Well, I don't why they changed the name. It bugged me at first, but I'm actually starting to like it now anyway...

The best region since Hoenn. Even if the idea of a desert that size being just outside a New York-like city is a bit odd.

Seryu

Pokedex Hunter
so basically no more Tutors. Well there is a few but they are not usefull cause you can use TM over and over again. To bad TM Roost doesn't exist anymore cause it will be to easy to teach it. No Safari too bad. ^^ But still it will be the best region ever.

Seryu

Pokedex Hunter
so basically no more Tutors. Well there is a few but they are not usefull cause you can use TM over and over again. To bad TM Roost doesn't exist anymore cause it will be to easy to teach it. No Safari too bad. ^^ But still it will be the best region ever.

K3v1n

Know it,Respect it..
move tutors?who says there arent any?

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Technically we have a few, the Elementa Hyper Beams, Draco Meteor, the Move Relearner and the Oaths, and Tutors usually become more prominent in the 3rd version, hopefully distributing some much needed moves (like dragon dance for Flygon :3)

Stealth Rock as a Move Tutor~~

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
The map is not the final map, it's a beta map, like Kira said. Also there is an airport shown, and I doubt there is gonna be an airport with no planes ;)

an airport with no planes o.o spooky

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Calling Isshu "Unova" is taking some getting used to . . . (might just be that I don't really enjoy renames)

I don't think the Japanese name was really the "issue" this time around. I think they just decided to change things up a bit. Generation 5 has been all about change so it seems only natural for the translators to change the name of the region to something else for the international release. At least the name Unova still seems to incorporate the same meaning as the name Isshu ("one variety" or whatever it was). I'm already starting to get the hang of using Unova instead of Isshu, and this is coming from a girl who hates change :/

BCVM22

I don't think the Japanese name was really the "issue" this time around.

Pretty sure it was. Again, "Isshu" is a Japanese word that happens to look and sound a lot like a random and unrelated English word. If "Kanto", "Johto", "Hoenn" or "Sinnoh" had sounded similar to unrelated English words in the same way, they'd have been changed too.

And it's not a matter of "people would have gotten over the jokes eventually" either. It's not like "Isshu" sounds vaguely or just a little like another word, enough that people will eventually gloss over the similarity; it sounds and looks almost exactly like an unrelated word. You would have had four years of dubbed anime and any future references all saying "the issue region" and even though the games don't say the name aloud for lack of voice acting, you show an average English speaker the word "Isshu" and their first and strongest impulse is going to be to pronounce it "issue".

I think they just decided to change things up a bit. Generation 5 has been all about change so it seems only natural for the translators to change the name of the region to something else for the international release.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they didn't change something as important as a region name just for the sake of doing so.

Stealth Rock as a Move Tutor~~

trollface.jpg

As troll-worthy as it would be for Game Freak to do that, I think it'd best stay buried in the deepest depths of Hell for obvious reasons. I like how Stealth Rock is a more limited move now. It makes a much bigger dilemma for Stealth Rock using trainers. It was one of the pillars of competitive Pokemon and it's sure to become that way in the 5th gen, even without Stealth Rock as a TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.