1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jul 30, 2019.

1. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix misty and dawn are best girls.

Because every fandom should have one.

Mine:

- I hate May and Max’s farewell. I feel like they deserved a more emotional one.

- I don’t hate that Dawn never beat Zoey. I think it’s good motivation for her to get stronger.

- I actually prefer the gag series over the more action packed ones. (SM > XY) So I don’t want Galar to be soley focused on action.

- The fact that Misty raised Togepi just to have to give it away when it evolved into Togetic still irks me.

- I don’t care for Ash/Greninja. Infernape is my favorite of Ash’s Pokémon.

- May had the best rivals of any of the female companions.

- And I might catch some heat for this one, but..May/Misty are the current strongest of Ash’s previous companions. Bloop

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

XY/XYZ is by far the worst series.
    Lillie is the best companion
    I don't care for May and I dislike Serena.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. wolf jani

wolf jani Cutting down lolicons

I've always hated Brock. He's just a pervert.
    SUMO league is actually good.
    I'm tired of seeing Charizard everywhere.

4. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

- I hated Ash, he should have shared the spotlights with his companions, make them learn how to handle threats/situations on their own.
    - I hated Pikachu. Like Ash, it should have shared the spotlights with his regional Pokemon partners, except some aces like Greninja.
    - I liked Serena. I'm fine for her doing the showcases and girly, as long she likes what she's doing.
    - I disliked the Serena kiss at the end of XY. She should have hugged him instead and thanking for the journey experience.
    - I actually like SM. It's probably not battle centric as in XY, but some of its comedies did entertain me.

EmberFireTrainer likes this.
  5. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Blastoise should've beaten Charizard in the Johto league
    You and me both

wolf jani likes this.
  6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

Can't wait for this thread to get locked like the two "Controversial Opinions" thread. Also, should probably have gone in the polls section to begin with.

My main unpopular opinion, is of course, that the Sinnoh League is a waste of a League that glorifies an abusive rival instead of utterly crushing him and leaving him psychologically destroyed and totally disgraced and stripped of all semblance of composure leading to him showing his true colors at the end and being forced to give up Pokemon training as it should have done.

My others include actually enjoying the Genesee movie and hating the Keldeo one, disliking Drew as a rival, believing May really should have won the Wallace Cup, and others.

keepitsimple likes this.
  7. Genaller

Genaller Sieg Kaiser!

Unpopular Opinion: May was robbed in the Wallace Cup finals due to biased judging!

8. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

* I prefer the humorous series over the more action packed ones. I just don't think the formula is solid enough to be taken seriously, it thrives better making fun of itself. Plus most of the action in the show is so formula driven anyway.

* Team Rocket aren't so much a problem in itself as much as they aren't written to fit in with the rest of the story anymore. Their backstories, their chemistries with the twerps, all barely used now. The characters themselves are still funny but of course they'll wax and wane when forced into a formula where nothing else bounces off of them (though Ultra Legends has improved on them).

* Ash, especially SM Ash, is okay as a protagonist. Again when his character is written to compliment the rest of the universe and work well as a foil he fits perfectly into the show.

* The Alolan League I find is a necessary evil, changing up the formula was kind of necessary after six leagues where the impetus is seeing one character try and fail. If SM had more satisfying battles it would be an alright idea.

catzeye and TheWanderingMist like this.
  9. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Well-Known Member

-DP had the best battles

-Paul is a better trainer/battler than DP Ash

-Paul is a better trainer/battler than XY Ash

-Misty never needed development in OS and was fine the way she was

-Ash's Pikachu is overrated

-Ash's Greninja is overrated

-Sun & Moon is steaming hot garbage

-Georgia was the best character in BW

10. Nodqfan

Nodqfan Active Member

Iris should've evolved Axew into Haxorus.

Dawn should not have received a Togekiss

Harley should've been May's main rival instead of Drew.

Might edit this post later if I think of any more unpopular opinions.

Twilight-Kun likes this.
  11. maartjeverhoef

maartjeverhoef Well-Known Member

- I think the show should have droped Ash as a main character during OS and replace him with Gold's counterpart.
    - I like when characters catch a lot of Pokémon, regardless of how much screentime they get.
    - I prefer light-hearted, comedic sagas like OS or SM over the serious ones like DP/XY
    - Ash and (especially) Alain were way too OP in XY(Z). I think main characters and rivals should be portrayed as underdogs and only pose a challange to E4/Champions because of strategy, not raw power.
    - Bonnie was a waste of space in the XY group, Korrina should have been a companion in her place.
    - Kukui/Burnet shipping is the only good one we had in the show.
    - I actually liked Ritchie...
    - and disliked Drew.

12. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

I actually like sophocles

13. DatsRight

I actually think Sophocles has had one of the most satisfying arcs. His episodes tended to be more character driven and laid back, not driven too much by goals and formula. His handling of Vikavolt is also one of the most full and believable besides some offscreen move learns and they managed to make him a decent battler in compressed time without too much plot armour apparent. I also loved his dynamic with Ash and Kiawe in SM and both his Pokemon are pretty likeable.

Bortgreen, wolf jani and mehmeh1 like this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Pretty much everyone wanted to see that happen, though. But while on the subject of Iris, I'll say that I didn't think that her capture of Kairyu was that bad despite how many people were bothered by it. I just would've liked to see them bond more on-screen.

catzeye and wolf jani like this.
  15. DatsRight

* I don't think gift Pokemon are inherently bad so long as the trainers still do something practical and effortful with them, that that convenience isn't just some quick short cut out of developing them properly.

Sophocles was given Charjabug as a gift, but Sophocles was still the one who bonded and raised Charjabug through the entire series for example. And Iris having an undeservedly powerful Pokemon handed to her was kind of the WHOLE POINT since she didn't know how to handle it properly and was called out for BS wins she hadn't earned. Not to mention several other Pokemon that protagonists technically didn't earn and just got handed to them, just people don't mind since they were the ones who raised them (eg. Ash's Rockruff).

* I didn't mind Lana getting Sandy or Mallow getting Shaymin instead of Ash. They needed their secondaries. The bigger problem was them not doing anything with them afterwards to validate getting them, which I'm certain they could have with more effortful writing.

* I don't mind compressed Pokemon teams of two or three so long as they are all handled well and give the trainer the agency and development they need. Having large teams leaves a habit of some undeveloped ones anyway.

While another capture would have been nice, Kiawe and Serena didn't really need more than three Pokemon for example, and Ash's SM team works okay with just the five with them all sticking out nicely.

wolf jani likes this.
  16. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

-I find the “Ash is a battle obsessed robot/Ash was worshipped” complaints in XYZ to be very exaggerated. I tend to ignore anyone who uses that as an argument (that’s not to say it isn’t an issue)
    -Ash is a fine character.
    -SM is the new XYZ in being the “overrated” series (as in people get way too defensive over anyone having any issue with it)
    -Ash’s Chikorita & Oshawott were annoying.

Twilight-Kun likes this.
  17. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

-Misty is the worst written character in the whole series.
    -Iris is a decent character and don't deserve the hate. Still agreeing that her "you are a kid" catchphrase was pretty annoying.
    -Serena isn't that good of a character.
    -OS as a whole might be the worst written series as a whole.
    -I found Lana to be a pretty decent side character.
    -Lillie isn't nearly as good developed as some of her fans state.
    -XY is overrated, although it's in the top 3.
    -I actually found SM as a whole to be not as bad as hater say, but on the opposite, the SM fanboys are exactly doing the same thing as those XY fanboys and overrate SM as a whole.
    -Despite DP being the best series overall, it's still not a good anime series. It just isn't a fail of a show as the other ones.

catzeye likes this.
  18. DatsRight

While DP had many good areas, it was arguably the classic formula used to its limit. A lot of areas were flanderised badly, the plots were becoming repetitive and it was probably the worst use of the third wheel male companion so far. It did at least go so far it 180ed at times (eg. Team Rocket having more competent moments or even winning things unlike their AG counterparts) but not really often enough to redeem this issue. XY pushed it past its sell by date and even worse took out a lot of the wacky self awareness that made DP hold up better, making things even blander. It had even less excuse than DP because it's previous series had broken a lot of the old stipulations and given them more flexibility (even if its own execution of new stuff varied in quality).

BW and SM trying new ideas, while not always brilliantly handled, I think ultimately HAD to happen because the 'classic' format has been done to death now and is becoming increasingly lethargic. If anything they should have broke the old formula sooner so they might have gotten a grasp of fresher storytelling by now.

Bortgreen likes this.
  19. Sham

Sham Underrated show

-Lana is over overhyped and quite frankly a plant to make it look like someone in the SM group besides Kiawe/Ash is competent in battling.
    -Lillie is one of the best characters they’ve had in a hot minute and practically since Dawn.
    -Iris is not the worse character written in Pokémon nor is she the most wasted potential.
    -I don’t really care about Kanto pandering or Charizard pandering.
    -The last three saga’s of Pokémon have felt like entirely different stories and not like they’re taken place in chronological order.
    -I pray Greninja never comes back
    -Mallow deserved better
    -May did not deserve to win that Wallace Cup, almost all of her wins in Hoenn/Kanto were BS and plot helped her win them.
    -Dawn is hands down the best female character character wise and goal wise.
    -People really can’t compare how Misty was treated compared to past Poké girls due to the time gap.

20. Ryu Taylor

Ryu Taylor Unwavering beliefs

The ones people know already (and hate me for having), reposted here for anyone just meeting me so I can get it over with:

-the dub far outclasses the JP version in every way except Chronicles.
    -Shinji Miyazaki's music from XY and beyond is intolerable, a trait that peaked at M21 (and yes, I always will believe that dub was received well for no other reason than the retention of that noise, because it's the truth).
    -JP Meowth's voice is torture I wouldn't wish on even the world's most wicked people past, present, or future, real or fictional.

Ones I haven't publicized as much:

-DP is the worst saga of the entire show.
    -M11 Shaymin is the worst character of the entire franchise.
    -The XY(Z) saga's indulgence in shonen anime cliches makes that saga second-worst.
    -The AG saga is the best.
    -While neither are bad, TPCi > 4kids.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019