• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I think i know why sm Satoshi look off to me....he played as necktoon's character or something like kid-friend family guy parodied character

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
After Diamond and Pearl gave Ash the victory over Paul and the Blaze of Glory against Tobias, the "idolization" phase is the logical and quite frankly necessary step of his character. The attempt to replicate his rivalry with Paul in Trip falls flat because it felt like repeating the same character arc all over again except it's less interesting. Paul is the rival that challenges Ash's beliefs to the core and no one has ever came that close (except in the AU where Paul is replaced by Cross). He doesn't really need to prove anything to anyone anymore. Sure there's new gimmicks like Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, but they don't change the core beliefs that Ash has. If anything, they compliment those core beliefs.

So where can you go with a character like Ash after DP character development? Well, the same way as Goku. You focus on how Ash affects everyone else around him. And that naturally leads him to be a role model of sorts. One who is simply better than you even if you defeat him.

And I don't mind that at all since it means we can see where our new characters stand from the beginning and how they change in the end. As well as the fact that this static role model character is pretty much Red except with an actual personality and voice (as well as actually earning his stripes as a respected trainer).

p96822

Evolve me please
I disagree with everyone saying that Marowak and Turtonator have good interactions. I feel like they didn't give Turtonator or Marowak any sceen time together to show their relationship. It's not like it was a continuous thing that happen though the series like Pancham and Chespin. I feel like Kiawe's Pokemon don't do much as characters.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I disagree with everyone saying that Marowak and Turtonator have good interactions. I feel like they didn't give Turtonator or Marowak any sceen time together to show their relationship. It's not like it was a continuous thing that happen though the series like Pancham and Chespin. I feel like Kiawe's Pokemon don't do much as characters.
I gotta agree with this. I do think that their fighting is hilarious to watch. Only group who seems like a family is Ash’s (in terms of having more than one Pokémon.) I thought Togedemaru and Vikavolt’s (as a Charjabug) interactions were ok but nothing noteworthy. And Shaymin is stuck being held by Mallow. I feel like everyone’s interactions are subtle and put in the background. If you’re not paying attention, you could miss out on small details.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I gotta agree with this. I do think that their fighting is hilarious to watch. Only group who seems like a family is Ash’s (in terms of having more than one Pokémon.) I thought Togedemaru and Vikavolt’s (as a Charjabug) interactions were ok but nothing noteworthy. And Shaymin is stuck being held by Mallow. I feel like everyone’s interactions are subtle and put in the background. If you’re not paying attention, you could miss out on small details.
Still better than what they'd end up with in previous regions, though. I.e., nothing at all for most of them.

DatsRight

The thing is that Pancham and Chespin was often just the same running gag over and over and over, with only a few times they actually expanded their chemistry. Marowak and Turtonator does so but without exhausting the constant fighting gag to death. Stuff like them deciding to spar after seeing Lycanroc and Litten do so or Marowak bugging Turtonator to go on the water slide with him.

I do agree that Ash's team still got the lion's share of chemistry, but I do like there's a stronger family premise with all the SM teams. Even Gladion's team are sometimes seen hanging out and congratulating one another. There were only so many teams pre-SM that felt like they had much of a bond together (eg. Serena's team) while SM feels like it ties in a 'sibling' like dynamic more often and makes every addition count as a new family member, especially with evolved or powerhouse Pokemon being less liable to demoted or segregated from the littler ones.

Last edited:

MockingJ

Banned

I see your point and I'm shocked that some people think that Kiawe's Pokemon have good interactions with other Pokemon. I mean okay maybe Marowak does every once in a while, but his Charizard and Turtonator are the definition of bland characterization...

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t see the problem with Turtonator? It’s like the calm yet protective older brother for the group similar to Bunnelby with Chespin and Eevee. It’s not the most expressive thing but when it gets excited it still acts a little goofy where it bites Kiawe’s head and participates in activities that would be difficult for something of his size (look at the episode where Lillie jumps rope). We’ve always had the calm straight man vs the wild reckless one since Bulbasaur and Squirtle

Revolver Furious Dragon

I don't want ash to get an incineroar. I don't want to see yet another dark typing be completely ignored on ash's team.

Revolver Furious Dragon

I think the writers ignore the Dark typing on his Pokemon because Dark is often associated with wickedness.
Oh I understand the reasoning I just don't like it. Darks one of my favourite type and I'm just disappointed by its lack of representation. Especially since ash has had plenty of opportunities to have a dark type

p96822

Evolve me please
The thing is that Pancham and Chespin was often just the same running gag over and over and over, with only a few times they actually expanded their chemistry. Marowak and Turtonator does so but without exhausting the constant fighting gag to death. Stuff like them deciding to spar after seeing Lycanroc and Litten do so or Marowak bugging Turtonator to go on the water slide with him.

I do agree that Ash's team still got the lion's share of chemistry, but I do like there's a stronger family premise with all the SM teams. Even Gladion's team are sometimes seen hanging out and congratulating one another. There were only so many teams pre-SM that felt like they had much of a bond together (eg. Serena's team) while SM feels like it ties in a 'sibling' like dynamic more often and makes every addition count as a new family member, especially with evolved or powerhouse Pokemon being less liable to demoted or segregated from the littler ones.

But it’s not consistent, with Pancham and Chespin even if they’re fighting around it is consistent. It doesn’t take several episodes for them to interact with other. I always felt most of the interactions were more background things. With Pancham and Chespin we see them not like each other to become friends.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I don’t mind the mentor status Ash has gotten placed in recently and think it makes sense relative to his character progression, but I hate the way it’s executed. In AG we start to see that position blossom with him sort of mentoring and encouraging May, and really influencing her style and disposition so much it becomes a plot point as to why she leaves him in the first place. Then that dynamic morphs into something more competitive and driven with Dawn, a sort of mentorship that pushes both of them to excel, fostered a lot by Ash. BW ignores that, but XY brings it back.

And oh boy, do they bring it back in an...interesting way. I’m not calling XY Ash an emotionless robot, but I’m calling XY Ash an emotionless robot. I know it’s not a very unpopular opinion these days, but to a large majority it still is. To me, watching the characters interact in that saga was like being forced to eat white bread without the butter, cream cheese, bagel seasoning, whatever. It was so boring, and so was the mentor position Ash was in. There was no tension or conflict between him and the companions, which I think is necessary to establish that dynamic. With May and Dawn, it worked, because both of them had flaws that clashed with Ash but gradually matured with time, as the result of his influence on them. Clemont and especially Serena (who I like a lot, don’t get it twisted) were written too perfect and nice most of the time that there was nothing like that with them. Nothing to resolve or change other than “thanks for inspiring me to do something!” That’s boring. It’s not fun to watch.

D

Deleted member 384931

I don't like animé Lillie. She can't do anything on her own and needs help from Ash, Gladion of her friends. I thought some other characters like Serena needed much help, but Lillie is worse. She hadn't done much after rescuing her mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.