• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Really? I like the original theme but dislike the remakes. I think people only like it (including me) because it’s so iconic and memorable. Even people who don’t watch Pokémon know that theme.

I think it being so iconic is why so many people think so highly of it. I mean, even if it's not my favorite I will always gladly shout every line. But the other themes just sound so much better and catchier...Johto journeys theme is just so darn catchy, I don't think it gets the credit it deserves lol.

DatsRight

I love the 4kids dub. TPCI dub sucks.

I have to give credit that for all the crap 4Kids get, Pokemon was one of the first really effortful anime dubs. Remember that most 80s/90s anime English dubs up until this point were very bland affairs with awkwardly delivered exposition-y dialogue (watch stuff like the Wowser and Moomins anime in English). 4Kids Pokemon still had that at times but the script and actors did at least often sound like they were TRYING to deliver it like a naturally acted cartoon, especially by points of Johto. The main issue is that to sometimes do that they took heavy liberties with the original material, though no where to the same idiot translating as some of their later anime dubs.

Kanto gets points for arguably being the best compromise in music as well, adding their own in-house stuff but maintaining most of the game remixes, ie. the stuff that's part of Pokemon's nostalgia.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Alain was a good character with decent development and a nice dynamic with Mairin and Chespie. Could he have been written much better in the main series? Yes. But his appearances in the ME specials solidified him as a character the writers actually cared about, and it showed.

Iris’ team is one of the best we’ve seen on the show. While Axew got nothing- I’ll admit that much- Excadrill had an interesting reason for not obeying Iris and got a multi-episode arc for resolving it; as did Dragonite. Emolga is one my favorite Gen V Pokémon and I loved its anime personality, plus the fact it was deceivingly strong. Gible wasn’t much either, but I liked what we saw of it and having it belong to someone again.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I liked Dawn’s team the best but Iris is a close second. I liked why each of them had their own reason for not obeying Iris. In a way it makes you question why all her Pokémon was disobedient besides Axew.

DatsRight

I liked Dawn’s team the best but Iris is a close second. I liked why each of them had their own reason for not obeying Iris. In a way it makes you question why all her Pokémon was disobedient besides Axew.

In hindsight I kinda liked how XY had an almost experience call back of sorts, with Froakie starting to act up when he became protective of Bonnie, but Ash just instantly figuring it out and talking it out with him, like he learned from last region that not all Pokemon disobey because they're being asses.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The consensus seems to be that Japanese openings are better than the dub ones although Ryu Taylor will run in here and tell us that we're wrong. By the way, "Jap" sounds kind of offensive.
Why offensive? Its just a short way to write Japanese ..

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I believe it was used as an insult during WWII
Yeah but WW2 was over for so long and most people were moving on, unlike some of the Japan's neighboring countries, in which I would stop it right now because politics. It surely less offensive than the N or C words, or illustrating a nuke missile or explosion after winning a sport event.

Last edited:

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Most people probably won't care about something minor like this but I hated that Jessie and James gave their Unova Pokemon away. It always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Most people probably won't care about something minor like this but I hated that Jessie and James gave their Unova Pokemon away. It always left a bad taste in my mouth.
Which ones? Woo bat and Yamask, or Frillish and Amoongus. It didn't really feel like they had binds with the second pair.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It’s a shame that BW Trio and their Pokemon didn’t have their personalities because a Cofagrigus constantly hugging James with its shadowy hands before battling would have been amusing to see. Kinda like how Carnivine and Victreebel would eat his face!

Sham

The Guardian of War
It’s a shame that BW Trio and their Pokemon didn’t have their personalities because a Cofagrigus constantly hugging James with its shadowy hands before battling would have been amusing to see. Kinda like how Carnivine and Victreebel would eat his face!
I’m so sick of that gag and glad they let it rest in BW. It wasn’t funny after OS I’m sorry (although I respect your opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.