• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 384931

The Aloloan Pokegirl don't have the same dynamic Ash had with Misty or Serena.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Idk it feels very different from Misty and Serena.
It surely was the best platonic chemistry though.

Ofcourse it was platonic, that's why it was the best developed relation ash had with any female.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Are you trying to Imply that a relationship with a female can only be good if it's platonic?
It's certainly not true.
Subjective I guess.

No, i think he had great relationship with both misty and serena, its just that his chemistry with ash and dawn pretty much carried the entire DP since brock looked excluded.

Soniman

Break the Limit
BW just kinda threw a wrench into Ash's character and his character has been in Flux ever since. Ranging from laughably incompetent to incredibly OP to barely battling at all and being a laid back jokester. OS-DP was a consistent narrative through line for Ash and after that the just changed his character every gen to fit whatever tone and story that they wanted to tell and not really caring much for what his character was before or what hell become after

D

Deleted member 384931

I hate Kanto. For me, the first series isn't an excuse to do things differently. You are all blinded by nostalgia. I am at least brave the admit that Kanto was a total mess, Brock and Misty's pokemon sucked and felt like let's bully Ash. There were a lot of good series back than, so pokemon hadn't an excuse

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I hate Kanto. For me, the first series isn't an excuse to do things differently. You are all blinded by nostalgia. I am at least brave the admit that Kanto was a total mess, Brock and Misty's pokemon sucked and felt like let's bully Ash. There were a lot of good series back than, so pokemon hadn't an excuse
This seems to be more of a popular opinion these days, at least online to be honest.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

I dont hate kanto it may not be a masterpiece but it is what started all the things and there are many things which i hated about the series, but still it has great dynamic and best humour.

Here's mine Johto is the worst series ever.
BW and SM > Johto.
If Kanto was like Johto it also would've been on same leg..

Johto definitely is among the worst but it was the one of the initial series so i gave it a pass not to mention the johto league was pretty good, BW on the other hand followed probably the best series, and was sandwiched between two of the best series it always will be wost black spot in anime.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The first region is an excuse to do things differently, because there are no patterns to follow yet. And yeah, it did feel like "let's bully Ash", because Shudo had an entirely different vision for where the anime would go, and Ash was just the person we happened to follow.

VoltTacklingPika

This is my relationship with Kanto:

When the show first aired: "This is the best thing ever!"
Around AG/DP: "Kanto is weird and kinda bad. Modern Pokemon is better."
Around BW/XY: "I kinda miss Kanto."
Today: "Modern Pokemon is sanitised, repetitive and tired. Kanto was raw fun. Bring it back."

I wonder how much of the modern dislike for Kanto is fuelled by the saturation of Gen 1 content in the games, rather than the anime itself.

DatsRight

The first region is an excuse to do things differently, because there are no patterns to follow yet. And yeah, it did feel like "let's bully Ash", because Shudo had an entirely different vision for where the anime would go, and Ash was just the person we happened to follow.

I think the problem was that Shudo had a much more cynical depiction planned, focusing a lot more on the crapsack elements of the Pokemon profession and the insecure messes of trainers it creates, which obviously had to get dumbed down a fair bit to be a kids show. Cynical writing isn't bad, but it doesn't mix well when you still try to paint it in an idealistic light. eg. All these insecure hack jobs being on Ash's back and the kiddish moral being that they're right.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Despite the handling of the Ash vs Ritchie battle, the rest of the episode was hilarious with Team Rocket constantly trying to keep Ash away! Especially when they first threw him in a truck and drove off to picking up Ash when he was riding a bicycle. Oh and Misty stomping on Ritchie’s foot(?)!

DatsRight

Kanto had that whole 'early instalment weirdness' thing where a lot of it was experimenting with new plot ideas. It was hit and miss, but the variation was fun. One could argue Orange Islands was the in-between, being more grounded than Kanto but still being a bit more versatile than Johto onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.