• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastmaster

Team Rocket were similar. They actually WON some contests and arguably had more times they were an actual challenge for the twerps than in AG, plus their legitimate affairs and business were showcased more often.

I suppose the problem is that it's still a case of them being fizzled out so bad that they could only really go up. Both Brock and TR had noteworthy moments but you had to get through tons of points they were meaningless or flanderised monotonously, especially since DP was arguably the longest series with no real change ups in location or setup.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Admittedly, I grew up mainly on the DP series, so I didn't have as much time to get sick of them as other people. But watching the older series after, I always got the impression that both Brock and TR were actually more repetitive back then. Sinnoh actually lets them break out of that somewhat, but I imagine it was too late for a lot of people at that point.

DatsRight

I do think they arguably got more on their platter than their 'transitional' point in AG, just as mentioned, it seemed mostly just to redeem how badly they had been burnt out otherwise, and likely because the writers had done their gag for so long that they wanted to do some sort of variation on it.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’d also to add that Gladion is Ash’s best rival in terms of interactions and they really feel close/like they have a brotherly bond; so that’s nice.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
  • Brock actually accomplished more in DP than other regions, not only winning a competition for the first time in the show but winning an Egg from that competition, which is pretty noteworthy considering his goal as a Breeder and all. He also played a big role in the Galactic arc, with the Croagunk/Toxicroak rivalry and his connection with Uxie. He's still a third wheel, but I think most people calling him useless were just personally sick of him lol

Agreed i think brock i criticized way too much in sinnoh, he has regressed from johto and hoenn itself but maybe because dawn was far more active an got much bigger role than both misty and may maybe people realized back in sinnoh only.

I’d also to add that Gladion is Ash’s best rival in terms of interactions and they really feel close/like they have a brotherly bond; so that’s nice.

I agree people just want jerk rivals all the time, but the rivalry between ash and gladion is underrated there interactions are just too good.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I prefer rivals like Gary or Paul where they aren’t overly friendly towards Ash and a huge pushover when it comes to battling yet aren’t so distantly cold towards him that they don’t occasionally give him advice and a drive to become a better Trainer so he can defeat them once in a fair and even match. Barry was too ridiculously underpowered especially for being Palmer’s son. Morrison was never really enough of a threat for Ash at the Hoenn League. Cameron was even stupider than Ep. 1 Ash and only won because Riolu decided to evolve and go Super Saiyain. Richie was a bit too friendly. And Bianca was too much of a total joke to be taken seriously as a rival for Ash.

MusicFan22

- I enjoy Iris’ character (even though I love Misty & Dawn better than her) & my least favorite Pokégirl is May because I feel May is too perfect & that she was used for fan service (those type of characters annoy me). I also don’t like Serena that much.

- I think Iris deserved to win over Ash in the Club Battle, simply because it’s Ash’s own fault for using a Pokémon with a type disadvantage (he always does that and it annoys me).

- I think Ash deserved to lose the Indigo League due to him not earning 4 badges the right way (It’s just that he shouldn’t have lost it in such an embarrassing way).

- I don’t care for Heracross as a Pokémon.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
- SM artstyle is abomination.
- SM anime is dumb and has no direction whatsoever.
- Lillie is a spoiled brat and a boring character.
- TR trio is amazing❤️
- Cilan is a nice character.
- Iris was amazing.
- Trubish is cute
Funny thing about that i use to love Liele in the games but her anime counterpart started ruin that now and made me realize that her character development in the game screws up my Pokemon journey.

Last edited:

Redstar45

k6666

Pikachu Fan
- I like korrina , i think korina, clemont and bonnie would be great companion for ash in XY because the group interaction would be more dynamic , because it's look like serena and clemont lack interaction because amourshipping prevent that , the gym battle ash and clemont just show how bias serena to ash , it make bonnie who still child look more wiser than her
- SM Ash is the best ash version , dont get the hate why child having fun and being buttmonkey in the series that focus on comedy deserve the hate when he still keep his competences not dumb down like BW version

Redstar45

- I like korrina , i think korina, clemont and bonnie would be great companion for ash in XY because the group interaction would be more dynamic , because it's look like serena and clemont lack interaction because amourshipping prevent that , the gym battle ash and clemont just show how bias serena to ash , it make bonnie who still child look more wiser than her
- SM Ash is the best ash version , dont get the hate why child having fun and being buttmonkey in the series that focus on comedy deserve the hate when he still keep his competences not dumb down like BW version
Maybe he was play for joke and his look don't look naturally (the Rocket-Gang trios look just bad as Satoshi do in in the new series)

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Jirachi Wishmaker is one of my favorite Pokemon movies. I like how in the beginning, they show the carnival being "animated" rather than some battle with cool music in the background.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Jirachi Wishmaker is one of my favorite Pokemon movies. I like how in the beginning, they show the carnival being "animated" rather than some battle with cool music in the background.
I'm of the opposite mindset where the movie is boring as sin and its two redeeming qualities being a positive portrayal of absol and the use of flygon

Everything else was dull as ditchwater

They somehow made a rampaging legendary pokémon boring - even Clash of Ages didn't do that!

Xuxuba

I also like Korrina, but i see her more as someone who sort of acted as a temporary rival for Ash while Sawyer and Alain still hadn't been introduced to him yet.

I know she is not literally a rival, since she was a gym leader and not someone trying to participate in the Pokémon League, but throughout her arc she challenged Ash and motivated him to train even harder in a way that most gym leaders don't. The fact that she had an entire arc and even after her arc was done Ash was still training in order to defeat her just made me feel the same way i felt whenever i saw him training to defeat a rival.

Of course, some people complained that they could've used this time to develop someone else. But what is the problem with developing gym leaders that aren't companions every once in a while? Personally, i think it makes Ash's victory against them feel even more meaningful and satisfying.

However, i do understand that i am the minority here, at least in this forum.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

I think Black and White could have been very good. But they pushed the reset button too hard.
I also think that Lillie is nothing compared to her game version, same for Gladion.
Diamond and Pearl is too overated. I mean come on, almost one year filler! There was Paul and Dawn, but that is it. DP gets only praised for Dawn and Paul vs Ash. Not for Team Galatic. I think Diamond and Pearl weren't so serious as some people say.
XY was more a combination of AG and battle aspects of DP. I won't say that DP is bad or XY the best.
SM is actually not that bad, people are still salty about XY and of course it has lesser points, but that is like every series.

Why does DP receive so much praise, I dont get it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Tracey could have been a much more interesting character if he had battled a bit more often if only to show off Marill’s strengths in battle as a preview of what to expect in GS. The anime had hinted Togepi getting Metronome and the first movie had Donphan using Rollout. So having Marill use a few moves wouldn’t be out of place. You could still have Tracey be an artist but if you had him also be a trainer, he could have gotten much more angles for capturing the Pokémon he met in a much more interesting and interactive way.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I think Black and White could have been very good. But they pushed the reset button too hard.
I also think that Lillie is nothing compared to her game version, same for Gladion.
Diamond and Pearl is too overated. I mean come on, almost one year filler! There was Paul and Dawn, but that is it. DP gets only praised for Dawn and Paul vs Ash. Not for Team Galatic. I think Diamond and Pearl weren't so serious as some people say.
XY was more a combination of AG and battle aspects of DP. I won't say that DP is bad or XY the best.
SM is actually not that bad, people are still salty about XY and of course it has lesser points, but that is like every series.

Why does DP receive so much praise, I dont get it.
Let’s see:
-Arguably best female character in terms of development
-Said character is treated as a main character just as much as Ash
-Ash’s constantly working on improving his battle skills (Starvia’s Brave Bird, Turtwig’s Energy Ball, Buizel’s Ice Punch, Gible’s Draco Meteor, Gliscor’s X Scissor/learning how to glide, Infernape’s Blaze, Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet, the spin from Oreburgh) just to name some
-Inferape’s storyline
-Paul (albeit controversial)
-Galactic was decent and definitely better than Magma, Aqua, and Plasma’s subplots
-Great use of real techniques like Trick Room
-Ash making his best league placement for the time
-Great continuity
DP is most definitely overrated but it has reasoning to

Status
Not open for further replies.