• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Pikachu knew Elcetroball which he learned in Unova so she’s clearly trolling. The Kanto episode clearly showed Pokémon like Corphish who was caught in Hoenn. Misty’s, Ash’s and Brock’s flashbacks showed them in Johto. How is that even possible?

And we saw that Brock was a doctor, which happened after DP.

This isn’t my opinion, it’s her’s lol. I don’t know what goes on in the mind of a voice actress. I was just giving proof that even people in her type of position believe these so called “ conspiracy theories “ no matter how stupid some of them may be based on the underlying narrative, tone, and structure of each region

It’s an definitely a terrible opinion not backed by the show itself

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't think Paul is the best rival of the entire Pokemon series nor do I think he's a pro trainer considering how easily he got beaten by Champion Cynthia's Garchomp who didn't even got shooked once. At the most, I think he and Ash are at the intermediate level, before the advance and pro levels where he's a really good Pokemon trainer but doesn't have quite enough experience to challenge the Elite Four.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That’s not what I said though, I said it’s conceivable that SM happened in a different point of timeline. Ash’s Japanese voice actress believes that Ash went to Alola straight after Kanto for example

These really aren’t direct/strong references that give the clear cut indication I was referring to.
Of course he went to Alola straight after Kanto. He was IN Kanto when Mr. Mime won the trip.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, I would have liked for Serena to show her sassy side a lot more than she did and be more like a tsundere type of character. She was kind of boring otherwise imo.

I agree. She’s a nice character, but her talkback and sassiness towards her mother was fun to watch. I wish she was a little more like her mirror counterpart, or at least showed some more fallibility in regards to her niceness. I also wish they would’ve let her catch a disobedient Pokémon; trying to get something like Absol or Goodra (which I firmly believe would’ve had better treatment under her care) to perform would’ve been great development for her, and could’ve shown off her firmer side.

I want the next female companion to be a bit of a tsundere tbh. Those characters are super fun if done right (as in, not acting like a bully 24/7), and we haven’t had a character like that in a while.

Of course he went to Alola straight after Kanto. He was IN Kanto when Mr. Mime won the trip.

Strawman. Please look at the context in which I used the quote. I was referring to Alola being in a different part of the timeline.

However, I do not know the context of which Ash's voice actress said the quote. @Shadao, I think I heard it from you, could you explain in what context she said this statement in?

You know the whole premise of the next season kind of kills the whole "SM different timeline" theory

Not if it's a reboot or next region is AU Ash :D

Red and Blue

Strawman. Please look at the context in which I used the quote. I was referring to Alola being in a different part of the timeline.

However, I do not know the context of which Ash's voice actress said the quote. @Shadao, I think I heard it from you, could you explain in what context she said this statement in?

Not if it's a reboot or next region is AU Ash :D
But if it is still a continuation with lots of references to the past seven regions this theory is dead

But if it is still a continuation with lots of references to the past seven regions this theory is dead

How would the theory be dead when what exactly went down in the last 7 regions would presumably wiped? I mean yeah, the regions would exist of course as well as the Pokemon and the gym leaders, but in a reboot, they wouldn't have the same history that they would have and any form of timeline would be effectively null and void. All the events may end up gone

That is what a reboot means yes?

AU Ash is basically that as well

Red and Blue

How would the theory be dead when what exactly went down in the last 7 regions would presumably wiped? I mean yeah, the regions would exist of course as well as the Pokemon and the gym leaders, but in a reboot, they wouldn't have the same history that they would have and any form of timeline would be effectively null and void. All the events may end up gone

That is what a reboot means yes?

AU Ash is basically that as well
That's just it though. We dont know if the new series is a reboot or not. All we know is that it will feature the past seven regions and Pokemon in addition to Galar.

For all we know this could still star the same Ash we've followed for the past 22 years. It could reference his past history in the other regions and we could get cameos and appearances from all of his old companions.

That's just it though. We dont know if the new series is a reboot or not. All we know is that it will feature the past seven regions and Pokemon in addition to Galar.

For all we know this could still star the same Ash we've followed for the past 22 years. It could reference his past history in the other regions and we could get cameos and appearances from all of his old companions.

That's why I said: "Not if it's a reboot or next region is AU Ash"

My theory could very well end up looking terribly idiotic

Sonnas

I don't know if this is unpopular or not but Georgria and Burgendy are the worst rivals in BW because they feel very one-dimentional and all they do is boast at how great they are, at least Georgia can back up her boasting but not Burgendy since she keeps losing most of the time.

DatsRight

I found it a shame SM didn't toy with rivalries a bit more really. Horacio and Viren could have appeared more often against Sophocles and Kiawe respectively for example and Team Rocket could have had a more professional rivalry against Mallow and her restaurant. While I didn't mind the slice of life focus over just being goals and competitions, there were times I think that extra motivation could have helped the students shine in their professions more often. Still it was nice that Horacio actually underwent character development.

DP in regards to direction is a total mess. The Ash v Paul match is fabulous narrative wise. But holy f*ck, animation and direction wise? It's godawful. I don't know how people can watch them again and not ask yourself, did this really need to be that long? Did they really need to cut back to Dawn and Brock for more than 10 seconds? How many more panning shots?

Some of what I saw in DP's battles trying to look back at them

1. The incredible amounts of stock footage/lack of sakuga animation
2. One Piece pacing at times between moves
3. Direction of scenes in question are just :confused:

And SM has a different problem. The allocation of animation, is just bad. And this is my opinion by the way and what I come to watch Pokemon for will be drastically different from people who prefer SM and I 100% get that.

But this is what is discernible. The following aren't really unpopular by the way, just noting why I feel this way

Iwane's philosophy has always been to conserve animation in dialogue scenes to instead use for the big emotional moments/battles. In Alola, this hasn't been the case as a whole. Instead, what they've done and you can see this if you go to animation collection sites like sakugabooru, is that they've upped the animation in those mundane moments that aesthetically look great, but for me, don't amount to much in the overall grand scheme of the episode.

Like I said, if you prefer this SoL type of story, this might just actually be a good thing for you since on a episode by episode basis, SM is visually appealing in those exact moments.

In XY, Iwane's philosophy is in full play and I totally get the criticism for the stiff animation in most of the fillers, but coupled with Yajima's direction, the moments they wanted to hit well that fit XY's narrative? They hit them damn well and this is not just Iwane and battles by the way, looking at how well Serena's showcases were animated with people like Shingo Fui I think was his name, there's that underlying philosophy that you see permeate the show and the people who animate it

People really don't give Yajima the credit he deserves for XY and I've seen some people downplay his work. In BW, you can see the experimentation of the camera, but it just wasn't done well in my opinion and the stock footage for battles? Still there and it was still so bad. That didn't decline at all. It was so hard to watch Pokemon like Oshawott and Pignite battle with the sh*t load of stock footage used for them.

XY comes along and you've got Yajima pushing for total elimination of all stock footage. That's radical change. Iwane stated that each episode of XY, starting in XY, had 20% to 30% more drawings than ever before. That stiff animation in XY's fillers? It was much worse in DP, BW, and other previous series. As I stated before, SM uses these extra drawings + looser designs to create a well-animated SoL series

SM's battles are really missed the Yajima direction and the design goals of SM just make it worse. This last league battle, the stock footage :mad: That, and the pacing.

There's about two well-animated, well paced, and well directed battles in SM I can think of.

Last edited:

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

I don't recall Rica Matsumoto saying anything like that, and I can't find the tweet right now. The closest I can find is this tweet, which only states that Ash is virtually the same no matter how different he may be on the outside. Maybe she was addressing why Ash was suddenly in Alola all of sudden at the beginning of the Sun and Moon series whereas Kalos ended with Ash returning his Pallet Town house.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Copious amounts of stock footage was very annoying, but I felt like they were at least trying to eliminate it little by little in the very tail end of DP and going forward. Animation from 2010 is obviously not going to look amazing compared to something from 2016, but there were a handful of DP battles that had great animation (a lot of Dawn’s later Contest battles stand out) for the standards at the time. Imo they don’t look remotely bad today, but compared to the visual buffet that was, say, Ash vs. Valerie, they’re lacking substantially. I think Ash vs. Paul is as close to perfect a Pokémon battle can get, but I’ll agree that the panning shots and sometimes slow pacing between moves (not just a problem in that match; a lot of battles from prior series’ had that issue) dragged it down on a directorial standpoint. I’d love to see it reanimated using modern techniques and animation, as much of a pipe dream as that is. Would probably be too godly for our mortal eyes to handle lmao.

XY for me was the aesthetically prettiest series; while the fillers had occasionally bad-mid animation, important events and almost all battles were so smooth and filled with peak sakuga moments. Backgrounds were very detailed and everything just looked bright and pretty, toning down the saturation of BW but still keeping that overall feel. The elimination of stock and bigger inclusion of the 3D camera are big contributors to that. SM has astoundingly fluid animation during mundane scenes, which I can appreciate as that’s something we’ve never really had before. But during battles, only a couple of moments stand out in conjunction with the rest of the battle, which at worst looks stiff and stilted and at best is simply good (Ash vs. Nanu- a match with a narrative I really loved- is the biggest offender of that, looking plain awful many times). I’d rather they devote focus on making the battles and important moments shine, but keep at least some of SM’s core philosophy.

Last edited:

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
I think Sun and Moon wants to stay as far away as ever from XY. It’s made references to Hoenn, Sinnoh and of course Kanto (I’m not sure about Unova everyone but feel free to correct me) but has yet to make a solid connection to XY.
The new ending of SM shows Ash's hat symbols from all regions.
It's a sequel to XYZ.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think Sun and Moon wants to stay as far away as ever from XY. It’s made references to Hoenn, Sinnoh and of course Kanto (I’m not sure about Unova everyone but feel free to correct me) but has yet to make a solid connection to XY.

Actually they did, brock, misty, that eevee kid and TR grunt having ME, kalos region being referenced by both kukui and lana and that eevee guy taking part in kalos league, i think that's good reference towards XY series, i think this region has been way more referenced than hoenn or sinnoh region.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
so with all the reference that all you guys said above and discuss , we could could conclude that ash is just same person every region even he got reboot , or to serious or being goofball its just part of his character even tho you dislike that version or not

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
so with all the reference that all you guys said above and discuss , we could could conclude that ash is just same person every region even he got reboot , or to serious or being goofball its just part of his character even tho you dislike that version or not
He is the same person, canonically speaking.
But the writing in Sun and Moon says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.