1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jul 30, 2019.

1. J.Agera

J.Agera Don't push your luck.

The new ending of SM shows Ash's hat symbols from all regions.
    It's a sequel to XYZ.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  2. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Actually they did, brock, misty, that eevee kid and TR grunt having ME, kalos region being referenced by both kukui and lana and that eevee guy taking part in kalos league, i think that's good reference towards XY series, i think this region has been way more referenced than hoenn or sinnoh region.

3. k6666

k6666 Pikachu Fan

so with all the reference that all you guys said above and discuss , we could could conclude that ash is just same person every region even he got reboot , or to serious or being goofball its just part of his character even tho you dislike that version or not

satopi and KenzeyEevee like this.
  4. J.Agera

He is the same person, canonically speaking.
    But the writing in Sun and Moon says otherwise.

maartjeverhoef and janejane6178 like this.
  5. Sham

Sham You can still do the right thing

Except I never claimed it wasn’t followed by XYZ.

PorcelainVulpix and KenzeyEevee like this.
  6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

It has Ash knowing what a Flabebe is in episode 6. Also, he knew what Mega Evolutions were already.

Bortgreen likes this.
  7. Sham

The Flabebe thing if iffy because this is the same Ash who scanned a Koffing in Unova which already five regions in but yeah someone already brought up the mega thing while ago.

8. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

While he did scan the Koffing in Unova, they at least have deleted this reoccurring problem (hopefully permanently) by introducing a sentient Pokedex.

Bortgreen, satopi and Dragalge like this.
  9. Sham

Once Rotom is gone (I assume they’ll revert back to a normal one eventually in later games or at least replace Rotom) if the dex becomes inanimate again, I fully expect stupid moments like that again.

10. J.Agera

Ok

11. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

At the very least Gen 8 is confirmed another Rotom Dex, meaning the same format will likely continue for next series at least.

One that seems to be rather unpopular, I didn't really mind Ash vs Hau in the Alola league. Yeah it wasn't exactly top tier, and the twist was kinda cruel to poor Hau, but the tension and setup were okay for me. The whole sleeping thing is easier to swallow when you remember that the dex entries specifically state that Rowlet compulsively sleeps to regain energy from photosynthesis.

satopi likes this.
  12. ash&charizardfan

Lol the kid even scanned treecko in XY series and orphish and buizel in BW series even though he has all of them, i dont think it mattes much as much silly it seems.

13. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

Yeah I actually enjoyed the Ash vs Hau battle and despite the result being cruel to Hau, I needed that tension and scenes to feel for the character. I mean he barely appears and I didn’t have any reason to care about him other than being a character from the game and the scene between Hau and Hala was heartbreaking. I felt the emotion and was utterly shocked thinking that Ash actually lost. I didn’t feel like it was a bad battle nor was it a terrible episode. It was fair and had valid reasons, it isn’t as though Ash hasn’t tasted defeat before. The only thing I would agree with is that it was terribly cruel towards Hau when it was announced he won the battle, have his 15 seconds of fame, only for it to be crushed in an instant hearing his own grandfather call off the outcome.

DatsRight and TheWanderingMist like this.
  14. DatsRight

Generally to gain audience sympathy a character has to be put in a bad or saddening situation in the first place. It's a necessary evil. So long as Hau doesn't leave forever on that cruel note and gets some small vindication it can work out.

This is the same reason I appreciated Mallow and Lana's league defeats. Those two characters were generally in the plot armoured circle up until then and having moments where they suffered crushing reality and were ripped apart made it easier to like them. They were mortal at last. I find it no surprise that the other companions' transformative moments were after they were smacked down hard by fate as well (eg. Kiawe getting his ass kicked by Marowak).

In general Fujisaku's battles seem to be getting better with each one, just he kind of remains a step behind in terms of what the event demands. Something like the quality he does in the league would have been great for say, Ash vs Hapu for example, which itself would have been fine as an earlier SM battle. Ash vs Gladion thus far is showing some of his best, with some decent tactics and team balance, just it's not quite intense enough to feel like a proper final.

Okubo seems to have quickly gotten the hang of things though, considering he's only wrote four episodes in the entire show right now.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    satopi and TheWanderingMist like this.
  15. Bortgreen

Bortgreen SM is adorable... Until November

As an unpopular opinion, I don't think Rotom Dex is a bad character at all. It's not one of the best either, but still fine
    (except when he gives me advice I didn't ask for, but that's in the games)

16. ash&charizardfan

I like rotom dex i hope it continues with ash next series, its interaction with ash has brought new dimension to ash's character.

17. Sham

Drew/Contestshipping was super annoying and Harley should of been her main rival since her primary one was a snooze fest.

satopi and maartjeverhoef like this.
  18. DatsRight

Harley was bleh to me. A weird awkward 'catty gay' stereotype that just hated May because whatever. Him manipulating behind the scenes was a cool idea but the problem was, besides usually not getting to ruin May, he always got away with it, never disqualified or having his reputation tainted by cheating or bullying another competitor or even suffering any laser guided karma humiliation like other lax-disaplined villains like Faba suffer, the lack of comeuppance making him even more insufferable.

I'd rather they just compressed that role into Jessie's like they did in DP really, especially since his presence arguably reduced her to a stagnant gag who never won in the AG contests. I know TR get 'out eviled' a lot, but playing punching bag to even such a petty antagonist I always considered their lowest point as villains.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  19. Sham

Was Harley ever confirmed to be gay (I’m not talking about like actually saying it but was he extremely feminine in the sub?) anyway I didn’t really care about his mannerism so to speak but his schemes and him attempting (and her allowing) to fool May every chance he got. That was his gimmick lying and playing pranks. I’ll admit his reasoning was off the chain and had no depth but he was overall entertaining. Although Harley did publicly embarrass May at times, either it wasn’t against the rules OR nobody could prove it with him. Remember it’s not like he would outwardly say “hahahaha I did this”. As far as fooling May; like Drew said that was just her own stupidity and she shouldn’t take advice from everyone.

My problem with Drew was that he was a lame attempt to give us another Gary but without substance. Why is Drew so cocky? Why is his rivalry with May so important? Because he likes her? That’s it? And then he goes through this weird phase of one minute he’s cool with her and the next he’s practically insulting her.

maartjeverhoef likes this.
  20. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

Harley was funny, but my main problem with him was how nonchalant everybody was about his bullying and cheating. Like, he plays the recorded tape about May’s Tentacruel story out loud in front of a huge audience to try and embarrass her, and nobody does anything about it? Vivian doesn’t care, the judges don’t care. Oh, now he’s helping out at a Pokémon Center so everybody in the group except for Max immediately trusts him now? The entire reason for him hating May is also pretty nonexistent in the first place. He never gets his reputation damaged or at least a little tainted, so it just feels like he gets away with anything. He was very entertaining to watch, and I liked his ‘gimmick’, so to speak (playing underhanded in a more personal way than the TRio). I just think he had a lot of potential, but they utilized it all in the wrong way.

satopi and Sham like this.