• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
We already have a child stalker villain in the series, but at least the other one keeps getting blasted off for it. :p
I really need an age for Jessie and James. They’re “supposedly 25” but I always considered them older teenagers. Sure they seem like adults to Ash but for some reason they seem younger next established adults in the anime.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I liked Drew a lot, but I agree that his character was super inconsistent. It’s assumed that he likes May because of AG187, but that’s really all the depth we get out of him. I wish we could’ve seen how or why he became a Coordinator; would’ve done a lot for his character. We can also see he respects May a lot more after the Hoenn GF, but the next time we see him in the Arcanine episode all he does is insult her the whole time. It didn’t help that he was treated as some star Coordinator, but did the exact same routine with Roselia and Masquerain every Performance round.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I liked Drew a lot, but I agree that his character was super inconsistent. It’s assumed that he likes May because of AG187, but that’s really all the depth we get out of him. I wish we could’ve seen how or why he became a Coordinator; would’ve done a lot for his character. We can also see he respects May a lot more after the Hoenn GF, but the next time we see him in the Arcanine episode all he does is insult her the whole time. It didn’t help that he was treated as some star Coordinator, but did the exact same routine with Roselia and Masquerain every Performance round.

I think Drew’s insults to May were supposed to be taken as a “boys tease girls they like” cliche.

I agree that Drew could have been given more depth and Harley should have suffered consequences for his actions but I liked both of them anyway. May is the only pokegirl with interesting rival arcs to me.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Harley was a good rival who brought out may's sassy side, whereas drew while able to bring out may's sassy side (especially in earler part of AG) was instrumental in development of may as a coordinator. He was the stepping stone for her and that's why her win over drew at kanto GF was a big deal. Drew definitely is best rival for any pokegirl in the entire series.

Drew/Contestshipping was super annoying and Harley should of been her main rival since her primary one was a snooze fest.
I think Drew's personality would make him better rival for someone like Misty than for May. Their dynamic always felt so awkward.

If they wanted to give May green-haired rival, they should've go for Wally instead :p

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I think Drew’s insults to May were supposed to be taken as a “boys tease girls they like” cliche.

I agree that Drew could have been given more depth and Harley should have suffered consequences for his actions but I liked both of them anyway. May is the only pokegirl with interesting rival arcs to me.
We need more rivals like Harly.....

DatsRight

I still feel like it would have worked better to composite Harley's role with Jessie, so she wouldn't feel like a third wheel throughout the contests and also so TR could maintain their devious side.

I also feel like the role could have been more compatible with Jessie since she always works in alter ego. She could always excuse her sabotages as being down to Team Rocket, with a Hooded Claw type dynamic where the twerps assuming her contest persona would never do anything so despicable. (The twerps repeatedly falling for TR disguises is probably where it should stay for them being incessantly gullible.)

I always felt like late AG was TR at their most pathetic and irrelevant, like ANYONE with a remotely nasty side could easily surpass them. They were like school nerds, nerds with a mean side, but still the punching bag for any REAL bully. DP had decayed them, but it had at least run the course enough that they actually reversed it around a few times and made them do something competent every now and then.

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I don’t know if Wally would’ve been a good rival for May. It would’ve been a cute precursor to Sawyer, but May needed someone to push her and make her realize her faults as well as her strengths. Drew did that, but I have no idea how Wally could’ve.

We need more rivals like Harly.....

I had problems with some of his writing, but by and large he was such a fun rival. Ursula was similar and she was great, too. I didn’t really like Georgia, but Burgundy was hilarious, and I wish she had been given more development.

I also wish the writers didn’t make Miette so nice and friendly after the Poképuff episode, but her and Serena’s dynamic was fun regardless, so I can overlook it. But Amelia was the perfect candidate for a Harley/Ursula-esque rival, and it’s annoying that she was wasted as a COTD. She didn’t even show up at the Master Class, which was disappointing.

DatsRight

Again Jessie could have taken the role of Serena's antagonistic rival, but besides that one episode she ruined Serena's dress they didn't even interact. Rivals were barely relevant in the showcases.

Horacio was the best handled antagonistic rival in a long while, and even he only really appeared in three episodes of SM.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
j
I don’t know if Wally would’ve been a good rival for May. It would’ve been a cute precursor to Sawyer, but May needed someone to push her and make her realize her faults as well as her strengths. Drew did that, but I have no idea how Wally could’ve.

I had problems with some of his writing, but by and large he was such a fun rival. Ursula was similar and she was great, too. I didn’t really like Georgia, but Burgundy was hilarious, and I wish she had been given more development.

I also wish the writers didn’t make Miette so nice and friendly after the Poképuff episode, but her and Serena’s dynamic was fun regardless, so I can overlook it. But Amelia was the perfect candidate for a Harley/Ursula-esque rival, and it’s annoying that she was wasted as a COTD. She didn’t even show up at the Master Class, which was disappointing.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She had SO MUCH potential and an AMAZING design. Such a waste

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Here is one really unpopular opinion, ash vs paul rivalry made more sense in AG series hoenn part than in DP especially after ash conuered the BF. The main reason for there rivalry was paul was too critical of ash's battling style which made no sense considering he just defeated strong trainers last season (including trainer which made paul obsessed with power). If ash had mentioned during there first battle he won the BF then paul would hardly had any ground for criticizing him. So that's why that rivalry made more sense in hoenn than in sinnoh.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Here is one really unpopular opinion, ash vs paul rivalry made more sense in AG series hoenn part than in DP especially after ash conuered the BF. The main reason for there rivalry was paul was too critical of ash's battling style which made no sense considering he just defeated strong trainers last season (including trainer which made paul obsessed with power). If ash had mentioned during there first battle he won the BF then paul would hardly had any ground for criticizing him. So that's why that rivalry made more sense in hoenn than in sinnoh.

It wouldn’t have been too out of place there, but it just wouldn’t have the same impact it had in DP imo. The main reasoning for their rivalry wasn’t Paul being critical of Ash’s battling style, it was the opposite way around which fueled it. Sure; he expressed his opinion of Ash negatively multiple times and clearly had a problem with him, but Ash being at odds with Paul’s moral philosophy was the kicker. I don’t think Paul would lay off of the criticism if he learned that he had beaten the BF early on, he’d probably just criticize him more for devoting himself to ‘weaker’ Pokemon instead of his best, like with Starly. Paul finding out after he’d battled him a couple of times that Ash- who consistently lost against him- had beaten Brandon- the person who fueled his obsession with power- was far more logical, since it showed him starting to realize that Ash was a more respectable trainer than he thought, even if it wasn’t apparent in their battles.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You've been lied to people! Those aren't jelly-filled donuts in Brock's hand! THOSE ARE RICEBALLS SERVED WITH A PINCH OF SESAME SEEDS WITH A SLICE OF DRIED SEAWEED! I know this may too hard to swallow, you may even accuse me as a liar, but it's the truth I tell you! THE TRUTH!

Sonnas

I find Burgendy to be the most useless rival in the history of rivals just barely beating Nene
And all she has is just a hate boner for Cilan, and that's all she seems to do from what I've seen in my rewatch of BW. And also doesn't help that she's not good at battling as she never reaches past the first round of any tournaments.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
It was 1000% a crush.

There was a filler episode where a tourguide was masquerading as a sentai hero styled after Accelgor. His childhood friend was an adult, female version of Trip. When that bloke started describing how abusive and critical she was of him, yet was always tagging along, Cilian and Iris showed exasperation because they picked up on it being affectionate behaviour.

What was described is exactly how Burgundy behaves. I think Georgia picked up on this as well. The running gag is characters might be aware of crushes involving other people but are always oblivious when they're a part of one.

I'm pretty sure it's a recurring theme for writers to show crushes as the characters harshly teasing each other what not. Ash/Misty, Drew/May, etc.

However, I still can't stand Burgundy or her crush..

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don’t believe she had a crush on him but either way she was annoying. Georgia for all her faults and being almost just as stagnant; at least had an interesting personality.

Edit: to avoid double posting; I also ain’t mad at Ash for winning the Alola league/this being his first official league he’s won. I know naysayers are going to try to claim that Palkia sent Ash to a different universe and Alola never happened but I don’t really care about Ash so idc what’s his first league win so long he has one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.