• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
game3524 said:
I am not blaming Charizard. It is Ash's responsibility to train him and he neglected to do so until it bit him in the ***.

I put the blame on both of them equally. Satoshi's guilty of not being proactive enough to try and fix the problem that became apparent in the Paras episode where Lizardo first ignored Satoshi's orders. And Lizardon is guilty of developing a disrespectful personality that was never really explained and to this day remains a mystery to me since Hitokage was extremely loyal to Satoshi prior to its evolution into Lizardo.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Charizard's disobedience was mainly ash's fault, and that's why he had his loss at indigo plateau coming, many people had said that earlier to him that his charizard is way too good for him so he needs to train properly with him but instead of listening to them he just goofs off in free time in between the league, not to mention he didn't trained his other other pokemon so it was mainly his fault.

MockingJ

Banned
I put the blame on both of them equally. Satoshi's guilty of not being proactive enough to try and fix the problem that became apparent in the Paras episode where Lizardo first ignored Satoshi's orders. And Lizardon is guilty of developing a disrespectful personality that was never really explained and to this day remains a mystery to me since Hitokage was extremely loyal to Satoshi prior to its evolution into Lizardo.

I thought Charmander just didn't respect Ash because most of Ash's Gym badges were pity badges that Charmander didn't think Ash deserved. Kind of like a callback to how you needed a certain number of badges in the games to make traded Pokemon listen to you. Maybe that's my head canon, but it works.

game3524

His personality changed with his evolution, that was all there was to it. The writers didn't need to give some detailed explanation of why it happened.

DatsRight

The problem comes from the fact that Pokemon have fairly sapient personalities in the anime, so it comes off like they should be intelligent enough to know better.

Charizard sniffing his nose at saving his team mate from Team Rocket doesn't come off as poorly trained as much as 'what a sociopathic jerk'.

This was something they got the better hang of with later disobedient Pokemon, who usually had reasons for being rebellious or at least had some clearer limit to how far they'd take their bad attitude (eg. most of Iris' Pokemon).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Charizard was immediately disobedient once he evolved into Charmeleon. He attacked Ash with Flamethrower right after evolution, but I think almost everyone dismissed this as affection (as it later became a running gag). The very next use of Charmeleon we see its disobedience, which I think was "The Problem with Paras".

Evolution didn't stop Pidgeotto or Kingler from obeying Ash. Both the anime and games give "lack of respect" as the reason for disobedience, and the game mechanic to enforce this are the badges. So I would definitely say it was just a personality change.
The best theory I’ve heard explaining the disobedience was that this was the period where Ash didn’t actually earn the Rainbow, Marsh, And Soul Badges. I sort of disagree with the statement that Ash didn’t earn the Soul Badge but the others make perfect sense. Ash only got the Rainbow because he ran inside a burning building to save Gloom which is a remarkable thing to do because not everyone would do the same. Sabrina’s Badge was just handed over to Ash just because Haunter made her laugh. But what I heard theorized that Ash’s command for Charmeleon to take it easy on Paras set off the disobedience because he basically insulted it by ordering it to act weak.

DatsRight

I feel like they really picked the wrong Pokemon to have turn on Ash, it felt like 'no good deed goes unpunished' since Ash had already proved his loyalty to Charmander and over petty pride Charmeleon/Charizard decided he wasn't good enough a trainer for a ridiculously long period until he saved him AGAIN. Bulbasaur might have worked since he started off standoffish to humans and Ash hadn't done as much to prove his devotion to him. Plus having it evolve despite its initial unwillingness might have given it more reason to resent Ash.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I feel like they really picked the wrong Pokemon to have turn on Ash, it felt like 'no good deed goes unpunished' since Ash had already proved his loyalty to Charmander and over petty pride Charmeleon/Charizard decided he wasn't good enough a trainer for a ridiculously long period until he saved him AGAIN. Bulbasaur might have worked since he started off standoffish to humans and Ash hadn't done as much to prove his devotion to him. Plus having it evolve despite its initial unwillingness might have given it more reason to resent Ash.
Tbh I think Squirtle would have worked as well

Leonhart

Imagineer
game3524 said:
His personality changed with his evolution, that was all there was to it. The writers didn't need to give some detailed explanation of why it happened.

I just think that we deserved a proper explanation for the shift in his personality, because even by anime standards it's bizarre that Hitokage went from being one of Satoshi's friendliest Pokemon, to suddenly developing an attitude problem just because it evolved. I dislike it when the writers leave things open-ended, because it just feels lazy of them.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I just think that we deserved a proper explanation for the shift in his personality, because even by anime standards it's bizarre that Hitokage went from being one of Satoshi's friendliest Pokemon, to suddenly developing an attitude problem just because it evolved. I dislike it when the writers leave things open-ended, because it just feels lazy of them.
And it is sort why i am going to be make Lizardo (later Lizardon) still listen to Satoshi like the m20 did in my novel until it battle against Zippo ( Hirosh's lizardon) which it going nut and stop obeying Satoshi until the Lizrdon! i choose you! Chapters

Last edited:
I think, if Alain was meant to be Ash's dream crusher in the Kalos saga, they shouldn't have battle eachother prior to the League match. Ash already had a recurring rival in Sawyer, there was no need to make Alain another one if Ash never got a chance to defeat him. They could (and should) have interract but without battling, sort of like Gary and Ash, just on different terms this time around.

I also think Everett (the Furfrou trainer) deserved some build-up, like at least one episode prior to the Kalos League so his appearance there wouldn't feel so random.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I don't like the voice over's in the Battle Frontier season. For some reason, Ash and the others sound really off to me and I only think Brock and James' voices are acceptable.
Max wasn’t too bad, May was sort of meh, and Jessie sounded very similar to the OS only slightly higher in pitch. If you lowered the voice a little bit, it would sound exactly the same. Ash did take some time to get used to though.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't like the voice over's in the Battle Frontier season. For some reason, Ash and the others sound really off to me and I only think Brock and James' voices are acceptable.
I don't think most people do. The switch was sudden and unannounced.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I like Sarah Natochenny's Ash better than Veronica Taylor's.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Both of them are bad at voicing Ash. Veronica just sounds more like a nasally little kid and that was funny back in Kanto where Ash was a funny insufferable brat.

Sarah just sounds utterly mediocre, devoid of any passion or actual voice talent.

The dub industry for anime is mostly bankrupt of talent due to lack of competition and the tendency for dub companies to just hire the same voice talent show after show. Some of the dub performances were still good. Clemont and Cilan in particular had great performances in dub.

My all-time favorite dub, Death Note, is fantastic because the people voicing the characters known them. They embodied the characters so well and delivered breath-taking performances.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I could take Rachel Lillis as Jessie and May because at least they sound similar to the originals but that Misty voice ain’t it. I also think Haven Paschall needs to work on her voice acting. Risa and Serena sounded nearly identical like she didn’t even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.