• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kenji definitely didn't meet his full potential since the writers had this weird mentality of not giving him any development episodes other than the one where he captured Strike, and even then it wasn't very interesting. I do think he was a better companion than Masato though, because at least Kenji was a trainer.

MusicFan22

This probably won't happen, but I do want Max to return in the anime someday. May got her little comeback to the series, but Max has been limited to cameos. It would've been nice to see him grow up a little and finally have him be old enough to be a trainer so he and Ash could have a battle.

I don’t really care for Max, but I do realize that most controversial/despised characters almost never return to the series, sadly. If a character isn’t liked too much, the writers will pick up on it fast.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Let’s see:
-Arguably best female character in terms of development
-Said character is treated as a main character just as much as Ash
-Ash’s constantly working on improving his battle skills (Starvia’s Brave Bird, Turtwig’s Energy Ball, Buizel’s Ice Punch, Gible’s Draco Meteor, Gliscor’s X Scissor/learning how to glide, Infernape’s Blaze, Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet, the spin from Oreburgh) just to name some
-Inferape’s storyline
-Paul (albeit controversial)
-Galactic was decent and definitely better than Magma, Aqua, and Plasma’s subplots
-Great use of real techniques like Trick Room
-Ash making his best league placement for the time
-Great continuity
DP is most definitely overrated but it has reasoning to
Yeah; Team Rocket and the fillers are things I didn't like for this series, and I felt that the gap between gyms 7 and 8 was far too long. I also would have preferred it to be shorter so that there could have been another battle frontier mini-season

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah; Team Rocket and the fillers are things I didn't like for this series, and I felt that the gap between gyms 7 and 8 was far too long. I also would have preferred it to be shorter so that there could have been another battle frontier mini-season
Oh definitely! Even though DP is my favorite series the gap between the last two Gyms and the constant fillers are glaring flaws

D

Deleted member 384931

Let’s see:
-Arguably best female character in terms of development
-Said character is treated as a main character just as much as Ash
-Ash’s constantly working on improving his battle skills (Starvia’s Brave Bird, Turtwig’s Energy Ball, Buizel’s Ice Punch, Gible’s Draco Meteor, Gliscor’s X Scissor/learning how to glide, Infernape’s Blaze, Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet, the spin from Oreburgh) just to name some
-Inferape’s storyline
-Paul (albeit controversial)
-Galactic was decent and definitely better than Magma, Aqua, and Plasma’s subplots
-Great use of real techniques like Trick Room
-Ash making his best league placement for the time
-Great continuity
DP is most definitely overrated but it has reasoning to
I really understand that some want that the next series is like DP, but wouldn't that be an exact copy? I mean XY is compared to DP, but they have different flaws and good points. Sword and Shield just have to have an unique storyline and not another "fire starter who has a sad backstory" or a friendly rival. If you think about it AG and Jotho was the only series where the starter Ash chose, didn't have a sad backstory, not like Charmander, Chimchar, Tepig, Froakie and Litten. Give Ash a shy pokémon instead or a personality Ash hasn't work with yet.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think the Diamond & Pearl series is a poor adaptation of the games, especially considering that much of the fan's praise toward the series rarely talks about how the anime series expands upon the games lore but rather on a larger focus on the more original new content.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I really understand that some want that the next series is like DP, but wouldn't that be an exact copy? I mean XY is compared to DP, but they have different flaws and good points. Sword and Shield just have to have an unique storyline and not another "fire starter who has a sad backstory" or a friendly rival. If you think about it AG and Jotho was the only series where the starter Ash chose, didn't have a sad backstory, not like Charmander, Chimchar, Tepig, Froakie and Litten. Give Ash a shy pokémon instead or a personality Ash hasn't work with yet.
Well being like another series doesn’t mean you have to be a carbon copy and I feel people say that when they want specific elements of a series to be implemented (Battles, character interaction, continuity, captures etc). The fire starter having a sad backstory is admittedly a weird constant but it helps the audience feel for the character so when they develop, you can feel proud of their strength both physically and emotionally (still why is it mostly Fire starters? Are they trying to replicate Charizard’s popularity? Is it a literal “Small ember turns into a burning passion ” story?) Ash has always had friendly rivals as Pokèmon tends to spread a positive sense of rivalry, competition, and sportsmanship mostly. Ash has had shy Pokèmon before: Larvitar (even if it wasn’t official), Chimchar, and Goodra but he could use another

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think the Diamond & Pearl series is a poor adaptation of the games, especially considering that much of the fan's praise toward the series rarely talks about how the anime series expands upon the games lore but rather on a larger focus on the more original new content.
I mean the series

-Introduced all the Elite Four (only series to do this)
-Gave Cynthia an important major role in the story (most series prior gave the Champions smaller parts)
-Introduced Lyra for the HGSS games
-Included the Battle Frontier
-Changed Dawn's, Ash's and Brock's outfits to reflect Platinum
-Showcased Contests again
-Had three movies that focused on the legendaries
-Gave Dawn a Poketch

just to name a few not to mention the games didn't start getting more story oriented until post gen 4

shoz999

I mean the series

-Introduced all the Elite Four (only series to do this)
-Gave Cynthia an important major role in the story (most series prior gave the Champions smaller parts)
-Introduced Lyra for the HGSS games
-Included the Battle Frontier
-Changed Dawn's, Ash's and Brock's outfits to reflect Platinum
-Showcased Contests again
-Had three movies that focused on the legendaries
-Gave Dawn a Poketch

just to name a few.
Lyra wasn't in DPPt, the Battle Frontier wasn't included, Ash's and Brock's outfits doesn't really expand on the game's lore and the three movies took place in more original stories. Even with all those things you say, not enough to justify the DP anime series as a good adaptation of the games. If anything a few of those points you mentioned only justifies that the anime series does things better when it doesn't follow the games.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Lyra wasn't in DPPt, the Battle Frontier wasn't included, Ash's and Brock's outfits doesn't really expand on the game's lore and the three movies took place in more original stories. Even with all those things you say, not enough to justify the DP anime series as a good adaptation of the games. If anything a few of those points you mentioned only justifies that the anime series does things better when it doesn't follow the games.
HGSS was apart of generation 4. The anime is suppose to focus on current games, so it's relevant. Palmer was mentioned to be apart of the Battle Frontier in the anime, Ash and Brock clearly changed into their Snowpoint outfits to reference the new Platinum games. Like I said the story of Generation 4 isn't exactly heavy. Cyrus still used the lake trio and box legendaries for his goal. I'm not understanding what else more you wanted adapted when it's not like gen 4 was a plot centric game?

D

Deleted member 384931

I mean does a anime have to follow to games?

shoz999

HGSS was apart of generation 4. The anime is suppose to focus on current games, so it's relevant. Palmer was mentioned to be apart of the Battle Frontier in the anime, Ash and Brock clearly changed into their Snowpoint outfits to reference the new Platinum games. Like I said the story of Generation 4 isn't exactly heavy. Cyrus still used the lake trio and box legendaries for his goal. I'm not understanding what else more you wanted adapted when it's not like gen 4 was a plot centric game?
Again, Lyra was from HGSS, not DPPt. I'm talking about a DPPt adaptation, not an adaptation that represents all of Gen 4, so it does actually go against your argument if your still insistent that DPPt anime series is faithful to the DPPt games, not Gen 4 as a whole. As for the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, being mentioned isn't enough. We have to actually see it. Finally, as for Cyrus... hmm... let's just say most Pokemon fans I know can agree he could use some more screen time. As for what more can I want from an adaptation of the DPPt games? Well lol. Let's just say you have no idea how much your missing out on lol. I'm not being rude but my words are sincere. The list of reasons you mentioned are but only a small fraction of what Sinnoh has to offer in the games.

I mean does a anime have to follow to games?
That's part of my point. The DPPt series is poor adaptation of the games but fans love it mostly because it does it's own original thing rather than expanding upon the source material.

D

Deleted member 384931

That's part of my point. The DPPt series is poor adaptation of the games but fans love it mostly because it does it's own original thing rather than expanding upon the source material.
XY did the same and I don't hear any complaints about that. People are praising the Team Flare arc.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Again, Lyra was from HGSS, not DPPt. I'm talking about a DPPt adaptation, not an adaptation that represents all of Gen 4, so it does actually go against your argument if your still insistent that DPPt anime series is faithful to the DPPt games, not Gen 4 as a whole. As for the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, being mentioned isn't enough. We have to actually see it. Finally, as for Cyrus... hmm... let's just say most Pokemon fans I know can agree he could use some more screen time. As for what more can I want from an adaptation of the DPPt games? Well lol. Let's just say you have no idea how much your missing out on lol. I'm not being rude but my words are sincere. The list of reasons you mentioned are but only a small fraction of what Sinnoh has to offer in the games.

Well I guess the debate is done then. I've played the games several times (mostly Platinum) and I can wholeheartedly say they have nothing going for them story wise. In fact next to Kanto they have the most lackluster story. I'm not sure what you were expected to be adapted (since the question was kind of dodged) but I personally was okay with what was showcased.

Do you mean a part of Gen 4 as in connected to Gen 4 or literally apart of Gen 4 as in separate? Because your whole point changes depending on whether you mean a part or apart.
a part, that was just me not paying attention to my grammar :/

shoz999

XY did the same and I don't hear any complaints about that. People are praising the Team Flare arc.
Actually I'd say the XY anime series expanded upon the XY games quite well but that's only because unlike the DPPt game which is heavy on lore and has more story, the XY games itself were pretty light on story and lore. As for Team Flare... it's alright, it could be better though.

Well I guess the debate is done then. I've played the games several times (mostly Platinum) and I can wholeheartedly say they have nothing going for them story wise. In fact next to Kanto they have the most lackluster story. I'm not sure what you were expected to be adapted (since the question was kind of dodged) but I personally was okay with what was showcased.

a part, that was just me not paying attention to my grammar :/
You were asking what I mean by an adaptation? Didn't hear that clearly but what I seek for in an Pokemon adaptation is a fine line between creative liberties and faithfully expanding upon the lore and story of that particular region while maintaining what people love about that particular aspect of the games and in my unpopular opinion, the DPPt series has mostly failed in this area. For example, Cyrus right? You said there's not much story there of Cyrus in the games and you said Cyrus's appearance in the anime justifies your opinion but what if I said that Cyrus is a great example of what's wrong with the DPPt series? For most Pokemon fans I know, the anime's depiction of Cyrus was the worst depiction of Cyrus for the simple fact that the anime did very little with his character and thus we know very little about him. The games explain who he was and the Pokemon Adventures manga explored his nihilistic character even further. To sum it up, both the games and Adventures take on Cyrus clearly depict him as a nihilist right but what about the anime? We know very little about him, his character is very rare explored and his philosophy is so vague that would it even be right to call this Cyrus a nihilist? His nihilism to be frank is almost never mentioned. Perhaps someone who played the games may come to the conclusion that he's a nihilist but what about someone who only watches the anime and has never touched the games? They wouldn't understand who Cyrus is as a character from the games based on the anime alone because the anime failed to show why people love this character so much. Do you understand what I'm saying now that I've explained it a bit more thoroughly.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

Survivorship bias. The only people who stuck around to watch Team Flare were hardcore XY fans. The vast majority of the casuals table flipped at the Kalos League. The leaks for Alola and loss in Kalos drained all tension from Team Flare.

That segways into another, lesser problem with XY. Overall viewership was down from Best Wishes, but those who stuck with it before XYZ really liked it and were hyper vocal. And it was the definition of niche, like adults who enjoy Pretty Cure or Super Sentai.

It's the same for SM really, although there are more voices and so they aren't in agreement.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
XY is nothing like DP. It seems like the last year of XY is the most memorable and highlighted to make it seem as if XYZ was the entire saga of XY. DP is miles better than XY and at least I care about Ash’s entire team in DP and each member was focused on unlike The Ash Greninja show. (Weirdly enough, I used to hate DP back when it was airing.) Infernape was a screenhogger but it wasn’t the only member that was useful and had a story built around it. And Ash certainly wasn’t a messiah even when Dawn had her cheerleader outfit on. Dawn stood on her own 2 feet in her entire run and Brock decided on a new career that slowly developed. I really don’t see how XY in any shape or form was DP 2.0 outside of a competent Ash and some good battles. Team Flare was shoehorned st the very few months of XYZ airing while Team Galactic at least had its own storylines on their characters while not butchering them once they encountered Ash and friends. And they, specifically Hunter J, was a constant threat. We haven’t had a constant threatening villain since early BW. Yeah, I said it.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I truthfully remember DP being one of the WACKIEST early series. Sure it had some climatic arcs compared to OS and AG but the animation and gags actually felt more over the top, especially during fillers. I think they knew they'd run the old formula to high heaven by then. XY had comical episodes but I think it was relatively restrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.