1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

The misinformation here is disgusting. As far as Lillie and PTSD. Why can’t a character have realistic aspects to her and creative story telling aspects as well? This is a show about magical beats that battle each other. Nobody is expecting Lillie to sit down and take medication and get treated. That’s boring. When Dawn went through her depression (or Ash in Snowbelle) were you expecting them to take anti depressants? The whole argument is flakey. You can talk about realistic things in cartoons and still give a creative spin.

J. D. Guy and LilligantLewis like this.
  2. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Am i really that bad of a person for hoping people will stop throwing around serious terms like depression and PTSD to try to make their favorite characters' arc look more serious?

Guess that is an unpopular opinion for you then lmao...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Kuzehiko likes this.
  3. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

It's you guys who think a 10 years old can suffer PTSD when it's just phobia.. If that were the case, yes she would need medications as any people who suffers PTSD but it isn't.

As I said above. Other people has been kidnapped in other Pokemon episodes and they never suffered PTSD, barely phobia.

There were other ways to help her out instead of enrolling her in a School sorrounded of the Pokemon she fears.

Xuxuba likes this.
  4. Sham

Sham On the right road

You know what the funny part about all of this is. I never said the exuction of her PTSD was realistic. What I said was I didn't find the character unrealistic. Ie: I don't find her being scared by Nihilego and being unable to touch Pokemon unrealistic.

So... remind me what are you arguing for?

5. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Yes when you are equally as harmful for brining up assault. That has nothing to do with nothing. You can’t however be mad at people for throwing up serious terms and then you go use sexual assault as your trump card. Just end the conversation before the thread gets locked. Is someone thinking Lillie suffers from PTSD really going to disrupt your sleep at night?

J. D. Guy and LilligantLewis like this.
  6. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I literally just mentioned as an example of an extreme trauma in order to educate people here on what are some of the most common causes of PTSD. You are taking it completely out of the context.

Again, never said i expected her to take anything, i just said it wasn't really as realistic as Sham said it was. Although, gotta say, i would be more interested to see a kids show portraying therapy in a nice way instead of treating like it was some sort of unspeakable monster.

7. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Tbh there are still grown adults who think therapy is bad or this thing for crazy people so I don’t expect a children’s show to be any much better sadly.

LilligantLewis and Xuxuba like this.
  8. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I don't expect it either. But the day a kid show does this, then i will certainly praise it for it's realism.

Redstar45 and Kuzehiko like this.
  9. Kuzehiko

Here you indirectly claiming otherwise tho. Don't go back and forth.
    I suggest to drop it here. it's useless to go on with this.

10. J.Agera

J.Agera We will be surpassing our dreams!

Can people stop straight up lying here?

Xuxuba and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  11. Ning

Ning Well-Known Member

I feel like she’s helped by having such a wide variety of interests which lead to lots of different reactions when things happen. She likes shopping, eating, contests, gets infuriated by people, and is quite vengeful. And then there’s her interactions with Max.

Just a lot of stuff to work with so she doesn’t feel stale.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  12. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

At the risk of sounding like a broken record after commenting on this so many times, count me in. She was just a very interesting character with a pretty realistic personality; for example, I feel like her clashes with Ash were the most natural. No frankly annoying over-exaggeration like Misty, but also none of that passiveness that’s so common nowadays. She was civil and understanding, but also not a doormat, and would speak her mind when she felt like it (that episode in Hoenn with the double battle couple comes to mind). A bit of a strange comparison, but May gave me Usagi from Sailor Moon vibes; that character type is just so endearing to me. It also helped that she was given a wide variety of interests and traits, so they had plenty to work with.

I think she’s just a very recognizable character because AG came after OS, and a lot of kids still watched the show by then, and thus know who May is. Gen 3 is also popular and well-loved, and so is May’s original design.

LilligantLewis and Kuzehiko like this.
  13. Kuzehiko

May should have come back in XY to advertise the Gen 3 remakes. She will return one day, I am pretty sure.

14. Sham

Sham On the right road

I preferred May's Emerald outfit to her RS one.

15. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

Same but I preferred if it kept the red color of her original attire.

J. D. Guy likes this.
  16. J.Agera

J.Agera We will be surpassing our dreams!

Loved her. 2nd favourite Pokegirl for me.

17. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Black bike shorts are also a thing back then, not only for May, but characters from other franchises like Claire Redfield from Resident Evil 2, Athena Asamiya from King Of Fighters 98 and Karin Kanzuki from Street Fighter Alpha 3.

18. Moonlight Starlight

Moonlight Starlight Well-Known Member

May does give me too the same vibe her character comparison to Usagi on Sailor Moon. Also May kind of gives me a vibe of Ichigo on Tokyo Mew Mew in a way. It's like May is a one dimensional character in her own story series.
    Also from Drew too he gives me the vibes comparisons of two males in those two animes series. Mamoru/ Sailor Moon and Ryou/ Tokyo Mew Mew. The way they tease the main girl in the story and into a relationship way also too.

19. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Yeh she should hve made a comeback there, she owns a appearance big time than any other character on the show, but what could have been a better reason fo her cameo since kalos dont have any contests maybe just like lyra who came as part of johto contingent to promote johto region in sinnoh.

Kuzehiko and LilligantLewis like this.
  20. Moonlight Starlight

Moonlight Starlight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ............would this explain if May had a different goal that put more into her character if she was a performer trainer just like Serena than not doing Contest that doesn't put much of appeal to her character that the writers/producers were trying fix up in her remake look and goal for a change.
    She's like a idol in that outfit dancing on stage than not a coordinator.

SH65, Lunalah and Redstar45 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.