• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
HFLq.gif

............would this explain if May had a different goal that put more into her character if she was a performer trainer just like Serena than not doing Contest that doesn't put much of appeal to her character that the writers/producers were trying fix up in her remake look and goal for a change.
She's like a idol in that outfit dancing on stage than not a coordinator.
No because she illegally is using two Megas at once for some unexplained reason!

I get one wants to succeed but not by cheating!

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
HFLq.gif

............would this explain if May had a different goal that put more into her character if she was a performer trainer just like Serena than not doing Contest that doesn't put much of appeal to her character that the writers/producers were trying fix up in her remake look and goal for a change.
She's like a idol in that outfit dancing on stage than not a coordinator.

I’m not really sure what you mean by “contests that don’t put much appeal to her character”, but this promoted in-game Contests. In-game Contests are just Appeal rounds, and with the Love Live/idol boom happening at the time, this as well as Showcases cashed in on that.

DatsRight

I think AG was more of a 'building block' series, one that is more interested in experimenting with new ideas and formulas than using them to their fullest just yet. The show generally has a pattern interchanging between these and series that 'rinse and refine' on their better selection of ideas, and they seem to become more vigorous as they go along. I think SM will ultimately be regarded as something similar, especially if the rumours of Gen 8 are true, in which case variation in formula will likely be needed (don't really want loads of episodes with Team Rocket expies like the Chronicles specials did).

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
BW has the dryest goodbye ever. It felt at times that Cilan and Iris were just traveling with Ash just because they had nothing better to do. Granted I thought their interactions together were grand...they never felt like a family and the ending just reinforced that.
I liked their group, but the way Iris and Cilan left was really weird without any emotions... :/

DatsRight

Their last episode was weird in that seemed more invested in giving one more 'final stand' between them and Team Rocket than a proper goodbye. I mean I have no qualms with TR getting to end on a bang instead of the usual slither, it was the era of 'not so harmless' TR after all, but it seemed like it distracted from the emotion between the actual heroes, besides showing what good team work they had one last time.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow! How did this thread increase in size by 50% in just one weekend?

The Johto League was decent, but the fillers in Johto League Champions brought the entire series down.

Yes, Master Quest was good though.

Although the openings are bops. Glad to see I didn’t miss anything despite the irony of HGSS being my favorite games.

You did miss some imo. If you want to catch up on the good episodes of MQ, I would suggest:
Whirl Cup
TR Lugia 3-parter
TR Gyarados Lake of Rage 2-parter
Pryce 3-parter
Clair 5-parter
Larvitar arc
Silver Conference

What BS, solidd literally destroyed may in kanto GF, which means she is way superior to zoey was since zoey herself is weaker than may as proven in wallace cup, as for drew and harley may mentioned herself that she couldn't beat neither one of them which makes them tleast on par with her besides drew was always shown to be superior to her throughout AG.Hoenn had robert who literally annihilated everybody including drew in the finals, calling zoey on par with solidad is plain delusion, not all GF have same calibre going by your logic that means alola league and sinnoh league had same ulity of trainers. DP fandoys really need to come out of superiority syndrome they think that cynthia is stongest champion, paul is stonger than alain despite him beating an E4, sinnoh hs stronger trainers despite kanto, hoenn and kalos trainers having access to ME which increases power considerably. Lastly hoenn is considered the birth place of contests they are not gonna take some other regions which started contests after watching hoenn take away the contests title region award.

What I really think the big difference is, is that May's contest arc focused on a bunch of COTDs, whereas Dawn's had barely any COTDs and had a huge recurring cast of 4-5 rivals instead. As a result, since May's had COTDs (like Solidad that you mentioned), they could arbitrarily increase the power levels of those COTDs and it could still make sense. Dawn's didn't have that luxury since we knew everybody's power levels.

I don't think AG was in general an example of them turning Ash into a Stu, but them sticking to their outdated formula when it comes to Ash's regional team.

Yeah, especially when they randomly gave Clemont a Luxray, something that's not even in the Kalos Dex

Dawn is also quite dense too, if she ever had a crush on someone, I don't think she would even realize it lol.

Exactly. Dawn was Ash 2.0, or female Ash

I still prefer him over the walking Eeveelution promotion known as Virgil despite his idiotic decisions lol.

The only way that the walking Eeveelution promo would have worked would have been for his regular Eevee to evolve into Sylveon to beat Cameron's Hydreigon or Dino's Druddigon. I miss the days of things happening like Harrison's Blaziken. i still don't even get what Virgil was trying to promote

Ash's Snorunt evolving into Glalie in the middle of the Grand Festival of all things which was supposed to be May's arc

And not to mention his catching Aipom during the next Grand Festival, which idk why they even wasted time on her, considering her arc consisted of:
-interrupting May's Kanto Grand Festival
-being caught by Ash
-sneaking onto the boat
-being traded
-evolving
-being sent to Vermilion City bc the writers wanted Dawn to use a Togekiss she caught 2 episodes before the GF in the GF FINAL of all places
-not showing up in Vermilion City when Ash, Iris, and Cilan went there in BW

She was an absolute WASTE of a Pokémon that ruined 2 or 3 different arcs across multiple generations!!! There's my unpopular opinion for this thread! Ambipom has the WORST CHARACTER ARC IN THE SHOW HISTORY

MYTHICAL POKEMON

The show doesn't treat it as one though, so you don't have to be pressed about nothing.

Preparing for DatsRight in 3...2..1

I need to add this to the end of all my posts.

Ironically enough they also gave Lillie/Cosmog's role from the games to Bonnie with Squishy, which is probably why they didn't repeat it in SM and had Ash take care of Cosmog instead.

and they also gave Hau's role to Sawyer

Speaking of Clemont, they should have had his gym battle be the eighth one instead in the middle. That would’ve built more hype than a fat ice man imo.

Yes. It would have made more sense bc the league was also in Lumiose City, so they could have been right there, and imo it should have been a 6on6 with Clemont using Bunnelby, Dedenne, Chespin, Luxray, Heliolisk, and Magneton. I'm still pissed that we haven't had a gym leader or Kahuna use more than 3 Pokémon since Candice, including even the gym leader right after Candice, Volkner, who should have used Raichu.

May can’t be forgettable

Who could ever forget fics like this? https://forums.serebii.net/threads/two-of-a-kind-advanceshipping-pg-13.91355/
or the other one by him whose name shall not be mentioned here

But you don't think her general traits stick out? I've seen you re-tweet or reblog all the pics/discussions on May or Contestshipping all the time on twitter/tumblr, and you've read the old shipping threads from 10-15 years ago. Literally all those posts wouldn't exist from various people if May's personality wasn't dynamic enough both alone and with other characters. The people here on serebii probably have no idea about the pokeani communities on tumblr and twitter, so they don't see this.

Why are you trying to put words in someone else's mouth lol? She already said she thinks of Dawn first.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
BW has the dryest goodbye ever. It felt at times that Cilan and Iris were just traveling with Ash just because they had nothing better to do. Granted I thought their interactions together were grand...they never felt like a family and the ending just reinforced that.
I agree
And don't even think this is unpopular, it's pretty clear
The Oak lab episode was excellent though

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Iris and Ash had some chemistry going on but it wasn’t as good as the previous female protagonists had with him and Cilian had a character dimension of a piece of paper. All he ever did besides judging other people’s Pokémon was go on about him being a connoisseur of just really random things like fishing or lunchboxes that the gag ran dry rather quickly yet the writers kept trying to milk it for the entire series even though the Miltank went dry ages ago. The only chance of any character development was his unexplained fear of Purrloin which we never got because he was about to tell his friends the reason why he is terrified of that particular Pokémon and then the episode just ends and it is never brought up again. The only good thing Cilian did was make Pansage and by extension Simisage the least hated of the Elemental Monkeys and kept Stunfisk from becoming a totally forgettable Pokémon that shows up in the entire anime once or twice like what had happened to Sigilyph.

Sonnas

Iris and Ash had some chemistry going on but it wasn’t as good as the previous female protagonists had with him and Cilian had a character dimension of a piece of paper. All he ever did besides judging other people’s Pokémon was go on about him being a connoisseur of just really random things like fishing or lunchboxes that the gag ran dry rather quickly yet the writers kept trying to milk it for the entire series even though the Miltank went dry ages ago. The only chance of any character development was his unexplained fear of Purrloin which we never got because he was about to tell his friends the reason why he is terrified of that particular Pokémon and then the episode just ends and it is never brought up again. The only good thing Cilian did was make Pansage and by extension Simisage the least hated of the Elemental Monkeys and kept Stunfisk from becoming a totally forgettable Pokémon that shows up in the entire anime once or twice like what had happened to Sigilyph.
I feel like Cilan is so chill that nothing seemed to faze him except ghosts, and Purloin, and that one time with Skyla. And while he says he wanted to be an S class conisoure but never seemed to try to get better and stay as an A class.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I'm watching through S/M right now, and I can say that I really love the concept of this season. I like the idea of Ash going to school and the idea of Ash and his friends getting into insane situations every day. I really like Pokemon in a slice-of-life scenario. It's very refreshing and I think it fits in Pokemon really well. I would love to see them try this out again.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don’t understand what warrants a May cameo. She missed her chance in XY and that was about her only window. There’s nothing that warrants her coming back especially if there aren’t any Contests in the new generation. Dawn worked in Unova because it tied into Cynthia being there from the games.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Yeh she should hve made a comeback there, she owns a appearance big time than any other character on the show, but what could have been a better reason fo her cameo since kalos dont have any contests maybe just like lyra who came as part of johto contingent to promote johto region in sinnoh.
i mean Dawn appeared in Unova and there were no contests either lol. she doesn't need a reason to return and even if you consider she needs one, the writers could have come up with anything tbh.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I know a lot of people are speculating that we might see all of the past companions again in SwSh but I guess my unpopular opinion is that I'm not sure if I want to. Some of their stories already feel done and it some cases, I feel like the writers can cause more harm than good. I don't want to see my favorite characters if the writers don't bring justice to them.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I do believe Iris and Ash had a strong friendship. Maybe not as strong as the likes of Dawn and Misty but I still think they had their moments.

Also I heavily prefer the XY games to the anime despite me only completing once. It’s one of my favorite set of games (minus the difficulty) so seeing what the anime did was saddening.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Alright, now I'm going to say something about Team Rockets mottos:

I think D/P 's motto was the best. It sounds really good, and it's really satisfying when you recite the whole to yourself as weird as that might sound.

I don't really like B/W's or the Sun/Moon motto, only because there are a lot more words and it can be hard to memorize, but I DO love how S/M's motto ends with 'Let's fight!' along with Jessie and James posing to make a big R. That part is really cool.

I like it when TR makes new motto's, personally. Hearing one motto over and over again would get repetitive really fast.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I find Tracey's character interesting. I enjoyed him a lot when I watched Orange Islands filler arc. I understand when other people say he's dull and doesn't have an interesting personality but at least, he is a decent character to me as he did achieve his goal to work with Oak. I would like to see him again as a main companion but I fully really underatand why so many people actually dislikes him.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Not all characters have to go through arcs to be entertaining, they can be carried by loud personalities. Cilian and Clemont weren't meant to develop, they were meant to be funny. Whether their antics amused or not dictates whether you like them as characters.

Kiawe fits this role a bit in SM: he is over-the-top energetic, constantly making fire metaphors or references to Inferno Overdrive. But he doesn't force these habits into every topic and has moments where he behaves normally, so it feels more natural and less obnoxious when he gets fired up. Having fun interactions with Ash and Lana help too: Clemont and Cilian had nobody to bounce off of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.