• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
No, I think Lillie developed...about 100 episodes ago. What I take issue with is how she was developed, as in, I don't think she did any real work for it and she seems to get a free pass for something no other character gets a free pass on (namely her Z-Ring, where she got to keep it for...failing to perform a Z-Move) in-universe.

Either way, my issue with Lillie is that we're winding up SM and it feels like she's just about the reach a starting point, rather than a next chapter.

As for Gladion, no, I don't view him as rival because he and Ash never shared the same goal outside of "battle one another". For the record, I don't even consider Alain a rival. And while you pulled the Georgia card on me before, there's a distinct difference since Iris was someone in direct conflict of reaching her goal.
Gladion was in direct conflict of Ash reaching his goal of winning the Alola league, bam there you go. Ash literally got his Z-ring for no reason, Mallow got hers for cooking a meal (while it does tie into her goal it's still not Pokemon related), Sophocles got his Z-crystal and and Z-ring in the same episode. The only people who truly worked for it was Lana and Kiawe. I mean you're free to your opinions I just disagree.

I'm not dismissing her growth, i did say she had some. I just don't think it was the best written for the reasons i already mentioned before.

Mallow's problem is entirely different.
She did evolve her pokémon, but it felt completely undeserved.

Evolution can be a great way to develop a pokémon, as long as the evolution is something they earned it. I am not saying pokémon cannot develop without it, but it's a core aspect of this series nonetheless, so i don't see how Lillie catching another pokémon and evolving it would've been such a bad thing for her character arc. After all, her team remaining static for so long does nothing good to her growth as a trainer.
It wouldn't of and I never said it would of been a problem. I just personally don't care she didn't evolve or get a new Pokemon. I just don't use evolution as a key example of growth because 70% of it is just out of the blue when the Pokemon or trainer is in a sticky situation. Example Mallow: if evolution is a key way to develop a trainer, going by that logic Mallow is more developed than Lillie.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Either way, moving on to a more interesting subject than Lillie, here is another unpopular opinion: i don't mind having two male characters as protagonists in this new series.

I don't really pay that much attention to the gender of the characters. The only thing i care about is whether Go will be a good character or not.

Sham

The Guardian of War
AG's openings weren't that great. I loved Unbeatable but "I Want To Be a hero" isn't that great and I wish "This Dream" and "Battle Frontier" were longer. The Japanese ones were bops though.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
IMO Serena's been developed very well. The only flaws I find in her development is that it took her over 40 episodes to get a goal (as much as I love Serena I must acknowledge those are too many episodes tbf) and her goal arc got quite rushed actually. Aside from that her development is there, if you compare Serena from the first episodes of XY to EOXY Serena she isn't the same person, she's changed a lot and when I say a lot I really mean a lot.
She definitely did develop very well.

On that note here's an opinion which is likely unpopular although I am not sure,
Dawn isn't the most developed Pokegirl.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Here's an unpopular opinion.

I'm looking quite forward to what tragic unfortunate story the writers will come up this time that will lead to Scorbunny having it's fateful encounter with Go lol.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I really hate Thunder Wave, Supersonic, and Confuse Ray. Especially when battling the NPC that have it. If I use it, the NPC can still attack me every single turn and ignore the negative effects of the Status condition but if it’s used on me, I miss or can’t move every single turn!

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I really hate Thunder Wave, Supersonic, and Confuse Ray. Especially when battling the NPC that have it. If I use it, the NPC can still attack me every single turn and ignore the negative effects of the Status condition but if it’s used on me, I miss or can’t move every single turn!
I don't think this opinion is unpopular.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
She definitely did develop very well.

On that note here's an opinion which is likely unpopular although I am not sure,
Dawn isn't the most developed Pokegirl.

No dawn is the best developed girl overall, may is close second but dawn definitely deserves first place. Yhough may had better rivals than dawn and they were more interesting.

J.Agera

No dawn is the best developed girl overall, may is close second but dawn definitely deserves first place. Yhough may had better rivals than dawn and they were more interesting.
But didn't Dawn only had to overcome her overconfidence? After that she developed as a coordinator well.
May had to find a goal, learned to like Pokémon, and just like dawn, faced losses and developed as a coordinator later.
Same goes for Serena except, she had to find a goal, convince her mother, and also developed her attitude towards Ash, changed as a person more than Dawn, and just like the other two, faced losses and developed as a performer.
I can see Dawn's development having kinda better pacing but that's really it.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Agreed. Dawn started out as an overconfident person who thought she’d win just because she entered. By the end of DP she humbly knew how to take loses. She had to learn to trust herself and her Pokémon again, as evident at the Wallace Cup. Not to mention other side development like learning how to deal with Mamoswine and adjusting to Togekiss’ battle style.

BabaVanga

I find Ash-Greninja form ugly.

I was pretty disappointed when they announced it because Greninja was my favorite starter since... Hoenn ones I guess? and AG highjacked all its cool moments in the show.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
My unpopular opinions game wise -

Gen 6 and 7 are my least favorites. Gen 6 was visually amazing but lacked in too many other areas and I never liked trials in Gen 7. And I know Alola is based on Hawaii but I'd rather go from town to town instead of island to island.

Also,
Gen 4 > Gen 5
Hear me out. Gen 5 is amazing, definitely top tier but Gen 4 has Platinum and HGSS, which are my all time favs.

Sham

The Guardian of War
My unpopular opinions game wise -

Gen 6 and 7 are my least favorites. Gen 6 was visually amazing but lacked in too many other areas and I never liked trials in Gen 7. And I know Alola is based on Hawaii but I'd rather go from town to town instead of island to island.

Also,
Gen 4 > Gen 5
Hear me out. Gen 5 is amazing, definitely top tier but Gen 4 has Platinum and HGSS, which are my all time favs.
I actually loved Gen 6 which is why I was horrified on how the anime turned out. Agreed on Alola though. I wouldn’t replay those games anytime soon.

J.Agera

I actually loved Gen 6 which is why I was horrified on how the anime turned out. Agreed on Alola though. I wouldn’t replay those games anytime soon.
You don't have to overexagerrate like it's the worst thing in the world.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The Gen 6 games were fast-paced but they were really on the easy side, they should put the difficulty options tbh. As for Gen 7, I only play the original SM, and I'm not going through of it again. I mainly had an issue with the pacing, especially that I play while I'm commuting and one of the reasons why I favor mobile games with very quick sessions like Candy Crush, but getting rid of HMs was a welcoming change.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Dawn may not be the best developed Pokegirl but she's for sure the most balanced out of all Pokegirls. She has a good development and the best goal progress.

Sham

The Guardian of War
The Gen 6 games were fast-paced but they were really on the easy side, they should put the difficulty options tbh. As for Gen 7, I only play the original SM, and I'm not going through of it again. I mainly had an issue with the pacing, especially that I play while I'm commuting and one of the reasons why I favor mobile games with very quick sessions like Candy Crush, but getting rid of HMs was a welcoming change.
Honestly even without the exp share it was really easy. I did enjoy the towns though and I thought towns songs were really pretty and unique. Not to mention I believe Kalos had the largest Pokédex ever so that’s a plus. Gen 7 is an inquired taste. Like I liked the games but I’d replay Sinnoh or Unova before I ever go back to Alola.

Status
Not open for further replies.