• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Okay here's one:
JpRrUVS.jpg

SociableGrandBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

c630388c72f642c009f7f057ba16ff0e.gif
I find shots like this (especially Ash) super ugly. The excessive detail just makes them look uncanny and they're trying waaay too hard to make Ash look like the most ultra epic badass in the universe. Instead it just makes Ash (and the production team) look like a bunch of edgelords. There's some ugly shots of Alain too, but I can somewhat give those a pass since a) Alain is older and b) he's actually supposed to be an edgelord.

I'm kind of similar, but not because of the 'edginess' but more the excess detail. I'm not big on cartoons that really go indulgent on every damn muscle and hair, especially if wasn't originally designed that way. Props to the artist for that attention to detail but it often has a grotesque look to me, anyone remember those 90s Sonic comic covers, they're that ten fold to me, almost look Where's Wally-ish in how much they slap on.

I like SM's streamlined style for this reason, it's kept simple and also allows more of an expressive range, while the BW/XY style sometimes struggled with vivid poses and expressions if the budget wasn't on their side (some cases Ash tried a non-furrowed face looked accidentally derpy).

Soniman

Break the Limit
I have no clue what problem people have with Ash being cool, but have no problem with him being overly childish.
Well that's just a Serebii problem.
And Twitter and Tumblr. Internet folk nowadays tend to prefer the pure cinnamon role types over the cool heroic type
I find shots like this (especially Ash) super ugly. The excessive detail just makes them look uncanny and they're trying waaay too hard to make Ash look like the most ultra epic badass in the universe. Instead it just makes Ash (and the production team) look like a bunch of edgelords. There's some ugly shots of Alain too, but I can somewhat give those a pass since a) Alain is older and b) he's actually supposed to be an edgelord.
You and I have extremely opposites idea of what looks ugly. God forbid Ash make intense faces during an intense match/arc for the character lest he be labeled a edgy try hard. God damn.

Like...is coolness, in and of itself that repugnant of a concept to people here now when it comes to Pokemon?

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

Don't forget about this shot
ecc381099a18cb32f453f329ab0b1cec6d3f5ad4_hq.jpg

I actually like this shot. I recall that moment having nice animation for the hair and clothes billowing in the wind, emphasising how high up he was at the time, and the lighting of the sunset complimented his eyes.

Okay here's one:

I see people describe XY's art-style as being more "detailed" a lot, but I honestly don't see it that often. Ash's face is actually quite simplistic, with minimal use of lines and shading.

In the second shot I can see it with Ash's teeth and gums showing, and on that front I agree with you. There's something about grit teeth and gums showing that feels a touch excessive, especially with Pokemon's flair for close-up camera zooms during dramatic moments.

Overall, there's nothing "edgy" about any of this. I think you're reaching with that description. "Intense" is how I'd describe the second and third examples. It's mostly harsher edges and darker colours, with big camera zooms and close-ups for added effect. It's all designed for the viewer to be as close to the action as possible, so they feel like a participant rather than a spectator. Not bad choices for a big action scene.

The first example is all about the eyes. Ash's irises are more of a roundish oval shape, when they used to be very narrow, almost slit-like. Since they're fuller, the eye colour can come through more, and that gives the face more life.

One thing XY actually does well is have consistent facial proportions. The characters' eyes and mouths never get too big and look more natural than they did in BW.

BabaVanga

That's the problem I have with Yajima, XYZ Ash is nothing like OS Ash. I assume he's a continuation of Ash from Yajima's fanfics and headcannons, hence the edgy tone and hero worship this anime never had (not counting movies).

Last edited:

DatsRight

We should discuss the elephant in the room... why was Shaymin added to main cast?

It is weird really. I can buy it if it doesn't get released at the end of SM and Mallow has a bit more limelight going, but they haven't touched much on it at all besides one limelight episode. It feels like it was mainly there to fill in for Tsareena as a more compact mon and to say Mallow had SOME team variation. It doesn't even promote anything since it's a Gen 4 Pokemon.

With that said, I did really like Shaymin in that one limelight episode, where it got a cute timid little momma's boy personality established, and I like that similar succinctness between it and Mallow that Ash's 'special' Pokemon have with him, that it's just part of the group/family and Mallow values it bond-wise rather than it being hyped much for any elusiveness. It's just a shame we don't see it developed nearly as often.

I do wonder why they didn't just let Mallow capture it properly though. It's not really an arc Pokemon whose story we're invested enough in to care about its inevitable release, and it feels way more allocated to a trainer than a standard overlooking 'guest' mythical like Meloetta, Squishy or the DP movie Shaymin. It generally acts like Mallow's Pokemon, just it doesn't get much to do. Maybe they were concerned about having her catch a mythical before Ash did, even if the time distance was minimal.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
That's the problem I have with Yajima, XYZ Ash is nothing like OS Ash. I assume his a continuation of Ash from Yajima's fanfics and headcannons, hence the edgy tone and hero worship this anime never had (not counting movies).
neither is BW Ash...or SM Ash? Which weren't directed by Yajima

Every iteration if Ash post DP is crafted to fit the tone and style of the saga he's in there's literally no actual sense of character progression anymore and it's mostly generally isolated

Blastmaster

I don't have a problem with Ash looking cool. My problem with those shots is instead of looking cool, they look ugly. I actually like Ash's XY design/outfit for the most part, they give a more "casual" good look to him that these shots don't have.

There's also a limit before it just delves into blatant wish fulfillment. Ash is mostly supposed to just be a normal kid, making him this pinnacle of greatness and positivity was never what his character was about until XY.

Also I'm not huge on the Ash's SM redesign either ftr, but I think the SwSh design has done a good job at refining that

BabaVanga

So he should remain the same person throughout the series?
Character development should be discarded?
Character development is one thing and personality change is the other; we had a lot of characters in this show with consistent personalities that were developed pretty well.
neither is BW Ash...or SM Ash? Which weren't directed by Yajima

Every iteration if Ash post DP is crafted to fit the tone and style of the saga he's in there's literally no actual sense of character progression anymore and it's mostly generally isolated
Idk I think BW Ash and SM Ash are more like OS Ash personality-wise than XY-Ash is.

But I have to agree, his personality is crafted to fit the series. I wouldn't mind that much if each series was its own AU, but as a continuation XYZ Ash feels especially off to me.

VoltTacklingPika

I have no clue what problem people have with Ash being cool, but have no problem with him being overly childish.
Well that's just a Serebii problem.

Like...is coolness, in and of itself that repugnant of a concept to people here now when it comes to Pokemon?

Different strokes, different folks. Some don't find Ash's XY look to be all that cool, and others don't believe this is how the character should be portrayed.

When it comes to Pokemon overall, "cool" isn't the first thing to come to my mind. The show has its moments but its mostly lighthearted whimsy with some competitive edge thrown in.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Are people seriously trying to say SM art style is better, just to remember ash's VA came on twitter to appeal to people that he is still the same person despite the change in art style, that much how unpopula his current design was during the first reveal.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Are people seriously trying to say SM art style is better, just to remember ash's VA came on twitter to appeal to people that he is still the same person despite the change in art style, that much how unpopula his current design was during the first reveal.
There were a lot of things people didn't like about SM on first reveal that didn't end up mattering in the long run

Sham

The Guardian of War
To change the subject from the incredibly boring same circle arguments of XY vs SM can I just ask what was the point in returning to Kanto in BF? They barely showed anything Kanto related nor did they visit that many points of interests. They could of just created anime exclusive towns in Hoenn and have May recompete for the Hoenn GF.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
To change the subject from the incredibly boring same circle arguments of XY vs SM can I just ask what was the point in returning to Kanto in BF? They barely showed anything Kanto related nor did they visit that many points of interests. They could of just created anime exclusive towns in Hoenn and have May recompete for the Hoenn GF.

Probably has to do with kanto remake during that time, but yeah it was silly to transfer entire BF from hoenn to kanto, they should have just introduced leaf in anime just like lyra in DP during johto remakes. It was pointless we didn't see any kanto gym leaders like sabrina or erika.

Status
Not open for further replies.