• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
While XY had amazing battles, sometimes the constant camera movement made me (and I use this loosely) slightly dizzy.

game3524

She had her one attempt and when he didn’t respond the way she wanted she threw a fit.

Yeah, I thought both Ash and Serena came off rather poorly in that scene.

Serena came off as shallow and as someone who really doesn't know Ash well at all. While Ash came off looking like a melodramatic baby ( I know they are loose with continuity, but it is hard for me as a viewer to take Ash's reaction to losing to Wulfirc seriously after seeing him get destroyed by Paul at Lake Acuity, lose to Gary right after winning the Orange League championship, and the embarrassment of losing to Ritchie because his own Pokemon refused to obey him). I know what they were trying to do and the scene and it obviously worked for other viewers, but it just didn't work for me.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Serena came off as shallow and as someone who really doesn't know Ash well at all. While Ash came off looking like a melodramatic baby

She was shallow for..trying to cheer him up? I feel like people are only looking at the results of the actions and not the reasoning behind them. I don't wanna repeat this constant but it's REALLY not as deep as this idea that Serena is having some exestensial crisis about her perfect idealization of Ash being broken and she can't accept that, it just kinda feels like a flimsy reason to drag the character through the mud.

How was Ash melodramatic? Like 5 minutes of the episode was dedicated to him actually being sad about losing the rest was just him trapsing through the woods looking for an answer because he knows brooding won't solve anything, which he realizes when he helps some Pokemon find shelter.

DatsRight

It's ironic given it's a character who more or less has a running gag of pronouncing things the way she didn't want. Even when the writers don't intend it she words her transformative statements horribly. Both this and her ending speech came off as way more awkward than they likely meant it to be.

I think the issue is also that, yes Serena got she had rather high standards to hold Ash to, but straight after that, Ash is fully recovered and interrupts Serena with his realisation before she can lament this, and Serena just gets Ash how she wants again for the rest of the series. That opening to give substance to a relationship with Ash is gone and never looked into again, remaining complacent, it just being another instance the protagonist accepts they can't get what they want, then do anyway because 'it's the gesture that counts'. If you wanna make this pairing feasible, it's not really something you can keep in a comfort zone outside one isolated moment.

Last edited:

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
In Serena’s defense, she really wasn’t used to seeing that side of Ash. Compared to other regions where Ash is displayed as more flawed, some of his other companions wouldn’t have reacted that way. So even though that scene did kind of make me cringe (except for Serena knocking Ash out with a snowball because I loved that) I don’t blame Serena, I really blame it on the way Ash was portrayed in XY.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't know what people's stance is on this but I definitely think Dawn is a better coordinator than May.
May definitely had a ton of luck on her side, although she was the one to debut Contests so they were still getting their footing with them in Hoenn. The luck in BF is less excusable. While I'd say Dawn is better overall, I still think May deserved the win in the Wallace Cup over her.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
Character development is one thing and personality change is the other; we had a lot of characters in this show with consistent personalities that were developed pretty well.

Idk I think BW Ash and SM Ash are more like OS Ash personality-wise than XY-Ash is.

But I have to agree, his personality is crafted to fit the series. I wouldn't mind that much if each series was its own AU, but as a continuation XYZ Ash feels especially off to me.
His personality was changing overtime tho.
Different strokes, different folks. Some don't find Ash's XY look to be all that cool, and others don't believe this is how the character should be portrayed.

When it comes to Pokemon overall, "cool" isn't the first thing to come to my mind. The show has its moments but its mostly lighthearted whimsy with some competitive edge thrown in.
I don't really find XY overly cool or anything tbh. Yeah it's cool. But "edgy" and "too cool to enjoy" Nah.

Also, it's hilarious how many of them here got Ash's depression arc wrong lmao.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I don't know what people's stance is on this but I definitely think Dawn is a better coordinator than May.

Here is an easy breakdown dawn is a better and creative coordinator while may is a better trainer and battler.

Dawn may not be the best developed Pokegirl but she's for sure the most balanced out of all Pokegirls. She has a good development and the best goal progress.

I would say she is the best developed pokegirl, the screentime she got in DP it was obvious she was the co star something not seen before and after that.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I’m so sick of seeing Serena, Greninja and XY everywhere. That’s my unpopular opinion

As someone who likes XY way more than SM, I still think once Ash won in SM, i no longer care about the ORANGE SHURIKEN. The main reason I cared about it was only because I thought Ash was gonna win. I have just wanted Ash to win since DP, which was the first generation during which the buildup to the league actually made me think Ash had a chance, and Ash winning is all I cared about, not specifically about Greninja or the ORANGE SHURIKEN, even if it would have been epic if he had won that way.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I know I said earlier that I don't mind a duo but I had to think for awhile. I'm against it. Well not really. I just can't picture Ash being able to carry on a show by himself and adding one more companion doesn't make it that much better. For me he needs people to vibe off of. That's even why shows like XY which I don't like I can watch because he has friends around him. I just hope Gou is interesting and can stay interesting.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I know I said earlier that I don't mind a duo but I had to think for awhile. I'm against it. Well not really. I just can't picture Ash being able to carry on a show by himself and adding one more companion doesn't make it that much better. For me he needs people to vibe off of. That's even why shows like XY which I don't like I can watch because he has friends around him. I just hope Gou is interesting and can stay interesting.
I hope a girl joins them

Status
Not open for further replies.