1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PorcelainVulpix, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sham

Sham On the right road

While XY had amazing battles, sometimes the constant camera movement made me (and I use this loosely) slightly dizzy.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

I think Ash should have been written off/the anime should have ended after the Battle Frontier at the latest. The anime has been going downhill ever since then for me.

3. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought both Ash and Serena came off rather poorly in that scene.

Serena came off as shallow and as someone who really doesn't know Ash well at all. While Ash came off looking like a melodramatic baby ( I know they are loose with continuity, but it is hard for me as a viewer to take Ash's reaction to losing to Wulfirc seriously after seeing him get destroyed by Paul at Lake Acuity, lose to Gary right after winning the Orange League championship, and the embarrassment of losing to Ritchie because his own Pokemon refused to obey him). I know what they were trying to do and the scene and it obviously worked for other viewers, but it just didn't work for me.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  4. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

She was shallow for..trying to cheer him up? I feel like people are only looking at the results of the actions and not the reasoning behind them. I don't wanna repeat this constant but it's REALLY not as deep as this idea that Serena is having some exestensial crisis about her perfect idealization of Ash being broken and she can't accept that, it just kinda feels like a flimsy reason to drag the character through the mud.

How was Ash melodramatic? Like 5 minutes of the episode was dedicated to him actually being sad about losing the rest was just him trapsing through the woods looking for an answer because he knows brooding won't solve anything, which he realizes when he helps some Pokemon find shelter.

5. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

It's ironic given it's a character who more or less has a running gag of pronouncing things the way she didn't want. Even when the writers don't intend it she words her transformative statements horribly. Both this and her ending speech came off as way more awkward than they likely meant it to be.

I think the issue is also that, yes Serena got she had rather high standards to hold Ash to, but straight after that, Ash is fully recovered and interrupts Serena with his realisation before she can lament this, and Serena just gets Ash how she wants again for the rest of the series. That opening to give substance to a relationship with Ash is gone and never looked into again, remaining complacent, it just being another instance the protagonist accepts they can't get what they want, then do anyway because 'it's the gesture that counts'. If you wanna make this pairing feasible, it's not really something you can keep in a comfort zone outside one isolated moment.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

I’m so sick of seeing Serena, Greninja and XY everywhere. That’s my unpopular opinion

7. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

In Serena’s defense, she really wasn’t used to seeing that side of Ash. Compared to other regions where Ash is displayed as more flawed, some of his other companions wouldn’t have reacted that way. So even though that scene did kind of make me cringe (except for Serena knocking Ash out with a snowball because I loved that) I don’t blame Serena, I really blame it on the way Ash was portrayed in XY.

8. Sham

Sham On the right road

I don't know what people's stance is on this but I definitely think Dawn is a better coordinator than May.

9. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

May definitely had a ton of luck on her side, although she was the one to debut Contests so they were still getting their footing with them in Hoenn. The luck in BF is less excusable. While I'd say Dawn is better overall, I still think May deserved the win in the Wallace Cup over her.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  10. J.Agera

J.Agera We will be surpassing our dreams!

His personality was changing overtime tho.
    I don't really find XY overly cool or anything tbh. Yeah it's cool. But "edgy" and "too cool to enjoy" Nah.

Also, it's hilarious how many of them here got Ash's depression arc wrong lmao.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  11. J.Agera

Oh BTW here's an unpopular opinion.
    [Insert something negative about XY]

12. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Here is an easy breakdown dawn is a better and creative coordinator while may is a better trainer and battler.

I would say she is the best developed pokegirl, the screentime she got in DP it was obvious she was the co star something not seen before and after that.

Kuzehiko and Sham like this.
  13. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

As someone who likes XY way more than SM, I still think once Ash won in SM, i no longer care about the ORANGE SHURIKEN. The main reason I cared about it was only because I thought Ash was gonna win. I have just wanted Ash to win since DP, which was the first generation during which the buildup to the league actually made me think Ash had a chance, and Ash winning is all I cared about, not specifically about Greninja or the ORANGE SHURIKEN, even if it would have been epic if he had won that way.

AshxSatoshi likes this.
  14. Sham

Sham On the right road

A lot of the music from the English dub movie’s ending are underrated. I mean some of it sounds like elevator music but overall most are good.

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  15. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Yeah except you seem actively bothered every time someone mentions XY

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  16. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Its not unpopular in this forum.. :)

J.Agera and LilligantLewis like this.
  17. Sham

Sham On the right road

I know I said earlier that I don't mind a duo but I had to think for awhile. I'm against it. Well not really. I just can't picture Ash being able to carry on a show by himself and adding one more companion doesn't make it that much better. For me he needs people to vibe off of. That's even why shows like XY which I don't like I can watch because he has friends around him. I just hope Gou is interesting and can stay interesting.

18. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

I hope a girl joins them

19. J.Agera

You would be too when someone criticises your favourite series for dumb and stupid reasons.

20. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

My favorite series is BW sooo and I’ve seen people attack it over Iris’ catchphrase. Most people who complain about XY typically have their reasons. I find it kinda pointless since it starts stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.