• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Unsuccessfulsofar Draft Team

Hey so I'm new here to the forum and have been playing comp. pokemon for about 6 months. I started a league where me and a bunch of others draft pokemon rather than using tiers (we banned permaweather and anything considered uber by smogon). Anyways, I decided to create some sort of shuffling team during the draft and was able to pick up both Skarmory and Deoxys-D (even though Smogon may ban him soon). It is important to note that I cannot change pokes right now, because of how my league works. I am stuck with these 6 pokemon. It is also important to note that I am not facing normal OU teams, but teams that have some OU some UU and 1 or 2 RU. So basically this is more of a Rate My Set then team. Without further ado, here are my pokes (they are in the order that I picked them in, just cuz):

Skarmory @ Red Card (Omega)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/64Atk/192Defense
Nature: Impish
- Whirlwind
- Pursuit
- Drill Peck
- Roost

Basically, what I want my whole team to revolve around. Comes in after Deoxys-D has set up all my hazards for me, and allows me to whirlwind away. Red Card allows me to further maximize his phazing. Pursuit allows me to maximize on people who will switch out to get phazed back in (kind of situational, but I honestly had no clue what to put here). Drill Peck over BB because its a nice STAB move that has no recoil, which allows Skarm to stay in for a prolonged period. Been thinking about a resttalk set, but those tend to be much more unreliable. Also been thinking about switching Red Card for Mental Herb to get ride of the fear of Taunt. EVs are there because 1. I am not mathimatically smart and do not want to spend time calculating thousands of stuff and 2. it gives Skarmory a little more offensive boost while still keeping that great defensive bulk.

Deoxys-D @ Lefties (Tentahentai)
Ability: Pressure (duh)
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/4Sp.D/252 Speed
- Magic Coat
- Spikes
- Stealth Rocks
- Skill Swap

My usual lead, unless I want to surprise someone. Lefties because I am not sure what else to put. EV set is a pretty standard one for most leads, allowing me to outspeed lots of fast pokes while getting as many hazards as possible. Magic Coat and Skill Swap are SO gimmicky but they really seem to be make or break match makers for me. Magic Coat allows me to predict anything anyone would ever throw at me, including the devastating Taunt. Skill Swap just pisses my opponent off and can simply ruin their strategy. When setting up, it has always seem best for me to set up one or 2 layers of spikes (depending on team) and then set up stealth rocks. Really, anytime after lead this Deo-D has been simply a deadweight. There literally is nothing I can do with him midmatch other than wall. I have thought about replacing Magicswap with Toxtect but I don't know. A better set is much needed here.

Mew @ Choice Specs (Kitkat)
Ablility: Synchronize
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252HP/4Sp.A/252Sp.D
- Trick
- Iron Defense
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

This is the new set I am trying after my original specs set (4 sp.attacking moves) was a complete and utter fail. This is by all means an original set and I am certainly open to criticism on it. Specs allows me to have a relatively nice Psychic if I can get super effective damage off and allows me to trick opponent into one move. Calm+Sp.D Wall EV's are so that Mew can effectively fill the role as my special wall on my team. Trick (as stated above) is to screw up opponents and make them stick to one move. Iron Defense actually makes sense even though I have two walls above here. It is used to pass to my Suicune and help her demolish. Psychic is here just cause I need some damaging move and though "Why not Psychic?" and the Baton Pass fills the need off passing Defense boosts to Suicune. The Iron Defense part is the part I am really unsure about here, and will prolly be the first thing to go. From testing so far, it has been ok and has worked for the most part, probably due to surprise factor.

Infernape @ Focus Sash ( Bonkers)
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252Atk/4Sp.D/252Speed
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

My physical sweeper. Boy was I suprised he fell all the way down to the 4th round. His set is to give me the most flat our power and the possibility to be a great antilead when I believe my opponent is smart enough to know DeoD is my usual lead. Blaze because there is only one punching move, and combined with the Sash, it gives me a very good Flare Blitz. Sash is the part that gives me the opportunity to be a antilead,other antileads (I know a guy runs a antilead Jolteon in my league) get destroyed by a CC/FB+Mach. EVs give me that amazing power that Infernape can harness. Close Combat and Flare Blitz destroy everything and are so reliable due to the always hitting. Mach Punch works great with the Sash as stated above and can often help me if I dont know if I am faster than something when having low HP. Stone Edge is sort of a suprise, (most guess Ice Punch/ThunderPunch) and takes down unsuspecting foes. The only issue I have been having with this set is hazards. As soon as hazards come into play, my Bonkers does not have that power that the sash gives him to destroy nearly any pokemon. Thought about replacing speed EVs with Sp. A and running a mixed set, but that could lead to bad things.

Suicune @ Chesto (Mystic)
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252HP/252Sp.A/4Sp.D
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

This Suicune has done wonders for me. I was very unsure picking her, especially because Tentacruel, Vaporeon and others were still on the board but she has not dissapointed. This set has by far been the most successful and seems to only be stopped by hax. Modest nature and EV's provide give Mystic great bulk along with great offense. Oftentimes I try to get a few Iron Defenses passed from Mew here because after a few CM's Mystic cannot be sweeped by anything but physical attacks. Speaking of Calm Mind, I try to get as many possible Calm Minds up, as x3-4 gives me power to take down all walls not named Blissey or Chansey. ChestoResto allows me to get a quick heal after boosting. Hydro Pump gives me an amazingly powerful water move that destoys all who dare question her. Ice Beam gives me reliable accuracy and better coverage. I am totally happy with this set. If you guys could help me have better team synergy with this set, that would be great though.

Sableye @ Lum (StealYoCouch)
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4Sp.D
- Recover
- Mean Look
- Toxic
- Taunt

Not a very good Sableye set. I cant lie, it just does not work. I really need some help here, as the more standard Sableye sets do not have good synergy with the rest of my team. Anyways, Lum allows him to get ride of any pesky statuses that may bother him. The EVs give me another Defensive wall, but I really am not sure what to do with his EVs and Nature. Recover heals me and keeps me safe incase a really strong offensive pokemon comes in. Mean Look plus Toxic makes sure Toxic is used to the maximum and cannot be cheaped by switching (althoug why would they wanna switch when I got rocks up). Works well with hazards, allows me to cockblock opposing spinners. Taunt basically out Taunts opposing Taunters with Prankster. Not a standard set, just a really bad set. Needs help

Just general holes in team: Grass Type, Electric coverage, Electric resistance, and quick special sweeper.

Thank you guys for the rate :). Rounds 7-12 are happening throughout this week so I will update you guys with my new pokes (which, understandably, will be weaker than ones above). Im seriously thinking about Lanturn or Regice right now. Anyways thanks for the help.

Atrocious

Quick rate.

Recover > Skill Swap on Deoxys.

Taunt > Pursuit on Skarmory and move Atk EVs to SpD or Def.

Standard Sableye is probably your best bet and works as a decent Stallbreaker. This means you can split your EVs, 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD. This mean basically swapping Toxic for WoW and Night Shade/Foul Play over Mean Look as you basically like what are hazards there for then.

Actually come to think of it, move Spikes to Skarmory over Pursuit and put Night Shade over Spikes on Deoxys as it'll be there awhile if you play smart with Recover.

Mew needs help...like yeah. You might want to draft things that synergise better with the team.

No one here can take many special hits but Suicune and even then it isn't much. Suicune should have Scald over Hydro Pump as it'll be on the field for an extended time and Hydro Pumps PP will just run out. I would recommend drafting Lanturn to put over say Mew. Hope you can find a steal deeper in the draft cause...

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
The set you have for Deoxys-D is not meant to be an attacker. He is supposed to be played as a suicide lead. Your spinblocker isn't quite good tbh. He just doesn't have the offensive or the defensive pressure a spinblocker needs to have. I suggest replacing him with either a Jellicent or Gengar.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Moves:
Will-O-Wisp
Scald/Surf
Recover
Taunt

It lures in counters to the spinblocker which your Infernape can deal with quite well.

Gengar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Timid
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Disable

This is his most annoying set. Ghost+Fighting has revered coverage. Substitute up and Disable the move. Many times, opponents only have one move that can damage him, so disabling it forces them out.

For Deoxys-D, use Taunt > Skill Swap. This allows him to shut down setup sweepers and walls.

Okay I made the changes on Deoxys and Skarm.
For sabelye, I changed my status inducer to WoW. Instead of changing my move to night shade though, I changed it to Shadow Ball because I think that will have better results with the Calm Mind boosts. Sabelye is now Specially Defensive reather than regular defensive.
Imma just futz with mew until I find something that works.
Suicune is staying put the way it is right now because if it aint broke, dont fix it.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I would use Foul Play over Shadow Ball. It is his strongest attack since most pokemon he fights have high atk.