• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Use of Game Characters

harryheart

With only Buck left to surface in the anime for what seems like at the moment one of the fillers before league begins, what do you think was the writers motives to include them? The 4th Gen was the first generation to include characters that you helped through the game, and I can undersand why we had the inclusion of Riley and also Cheryl, but the others in the games didn't really play major parts, not that Cheryl or Riley did either. So why is it that we have seen them?

The storylines that they were in I suppose were interesting and in some cases led to the introduction of certain Pokemon, such as Heatran. However disregarding that fact their roles weren't as major as some people believed and they were instead hyped up COTDs.

So I ask, do you think this was just more marketing?
Were their episodes actually fun and did they add something to the DP plotline and storyline?
Would you like to seem some make re-appearances?
What were their relevances?
And if the 5th Gen repeats this in the games would you want the anime to repeat it as well?

Discuss!

ijea4444

Ken sugimori works hard to design these characters, so I would personally find it a waste of art if they didn't use his awesome artwork.

But the major reason is why the anime exists. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl was made to promote Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, ironic isn't it? When people see reruns or DVDs of the Diamond and Pearl they will be reminded of how fun DP was for them. So they will replay the games and get them more hyped about pokemon. The more people that are hyped about pokemon, the higher the amount of people that will buy pokemon merchandise.

harryheart

If what claims in this thread http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=451466 is legit, then we can expect Buck to make an appearance

Yep we're aware of that but what I'm asking is what is the point of including in game characters. Do they really have an impact on the show?

Were their episodes actually fun and did they add something to the DP plotline and storyline?
And if the 5th Gen repeats this in the games would you want the anime to repeat it as well?​

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Yes.
They were fun for me. Riley's episodes were a part of Galactic Arc, so his episodes did add something to the D/P plotline and storyline.
Yes.
Said above.
And if the 5th Gen repeats this in the games would you want the anime to repeat it as well?
Yes, I love to see game characters having an appearance in more canons.

Squaaah

Its not just for marketing. Well, not just for marketing the games, although that is an important feature.

The Anime itself is also a money making scheme, so it needs as much marketing as the games do.

We all know most of the Anime is filled with fillers, and alot of these fillers include one shot COTD who normally have bland personalities with no interest value what so ever. After ten years of anime, this is very stale. (tbf it was pretty stale after one year).

The characters from the game give something to make these fillers stand out from other fillers, as these one shot characters are no longer simply just one shot COTD, they're now IN GAME CHARACTERS!!!!!!! DUN DUN DURN!!! which makes the episode much more intriguing and therefore marketable.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Ok

1. Yes, the anime is turning more and more into a game marketing scheme. As ijea4444 mentioned above, when you see a character from the game making appearance in the anime, it reminds you of your memories of the game and you go back to playing it

2. Some of their episodes were fun for me. I found Riley's and Cheryl's arc interesting. Riley helped in Team Galactic battle (he and Lucario even shielded the time bomb explosions that TG had planted). Cheryl was in a quest to find the enchanted honey (enchanted honey was eventually added to Ash and Co.'s knowledge and also to the viewers). So I would say they indeed had something to add to the DP storyline. However, I think Mira's arc was more of a filler than anything because of her involvement in the summer camp thing.

3. I would particularly like to see Riley make a re-appearance, and also I would like to see Marley make her debut, because - correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think she has made an appearance in the anime so far.

4. Already answered in #2

5. 5th generation is not out yet, so I can't say what kind of characters would there be in the game. Whether I like to see them in the anime too or not depends on the characters. Like I mentioned in #3, I wanna see Marley make her debut because she seemed cool, calm, and calculating in the game

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Is there anything in this show that's not marketing?

Yes.

It'd be neat, but it's not going to happen.

They made the episodes they appeared in be slightly more interesting than run-of-the-mill filler episodes.

Really, why wouldn't the writers include game characters? There's going to be a bunch of filler episodes anyway, so they might as well put in some characters and side-stories from the games.

randomspot555

I love having in-game characters in the anime. It makes the continuities just a bit more connected.

Obviously the male playable character will often be relegated to cameo/voiceless appearances, since Ash (who is loosely based on Red) will be in the anime forever. But having in-game rivals and tag battle partners show up, as well as the playable female, is one of the aspects of Sinnoh that's better than Hoenn.

It really, really, really sucks Wally never made it to the anime. Most wasted potential ever for a rival.

kemal07

I love having in-game characters in the anime. It makes the continuities just a bit more connected.

Obviously the male playable character will often be relegated to cameo/voiceless appearances, since Ash (who is loosely based on Red) will be in the anime forever. But having in-game rivals and tag battle partners show up, as well as the playable female, is one of the aspects of Sinnoh that's better than Hoenn.

It really, really, really sucks Wally never made it to the anime. Most wasted potential ever for a rival.

not just wally. awesome characters like Will, Karen, Janine and Glacia needed to show up. but dream is all we can do lol.