• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The UU Dragon comes up for a Visit (An OU RMT)

Yellow De Viridian Grove

I was abducted into UU for a few days and I thought about Volt-Turn. IT was mainly Flygon and Rotom as far as offensive mons went, I'm sure this was due to my lack of looking lol, but I realized how well Bronzong and Flygon synergized. They resisted every type besides water. I then decided to try how this core worked in OU, but instead of Bronzong I wanted another U-Turner, Jirachi. That left water being unanswered, but that was easily answered in the form of Rotom-W and that core is what the team is based off of. This has been on of my favorite teams to use and has proven to be that Flygon can really dish out damage in out too. Onto the process

I personally hate team building, almost as much as taking teams off RMT's to use, so this part is generally hard for me. However, I had a core in set already and it had decent synergy, so off the team went.

330.gif

Flygon was the basis of the team. He can hit hard with EQ and Outrage and can even scout with U-Turn. This team was based off of him and the Volt-Turn strategy, so naturally we needed someone who could play off of his strengths and resisted what he was weak to.

330.gif
385.gif

Jirachi was next to be added to the team. He synergises really well with Flygon. He resists the Ice and Dragon weakness, while Flygon resists Jirachi's Fire weakness, while being immune to Ground. Along with that, they resist every type in the game besides water. I wanted to address this water neutrality by adding the infamous Volt-Turner Rotom-W

330.gif
385.gif
479-w.gif

Rotom gives me another ground immunity and another Volt-Turner. Adding Volt-Switch allows to beat Skarmory and with Trick, I can beat walls, such as Ferrothorn and still be able to punish a Gliscor switch-in. Rotom gives the team the Special Attacking boost needed to muscle past Physical walls.

330.gif
385.gif
479-w.gif
598.gif

I wanted Spikes and Ferrothorn does what a Ferrothorn does. With access to Spikes and Leech Seed, Ferrothorn supports my team and put more of a defensive backbone to the team instead of just pure bulk. It also gave me an answer to Starmie by using Power Whip and is a great asset to almost any team.

330.gif
385.gif
479-w.gif
598.gif
186.gif

This team just started to look like a rain team to me and that is truly the only reason why Politoed was added. I chose SDepToed because, even though I don't rely on him too much, the lack of SS damage from winning weather wars was really helpful. He powers up Rotom's Hydro Pump and allows Ferrothorn's Fire weakness to be halved. Politoed is also all about support and just helps a little with defense.

330.gif
385.gif
479-w.gif
598.gif
186.gif
149.gif

I also happened to be reading Pure's Rain RMT while making this team and decided to try WallBreakNite. It hasn't been that bad, but I'm wondering if DD would be better and just use his as a late game sweeper more than a wall breaker seeing as Volt-Turn is pretty good at wearing down walls.

330.gif
385.gif
479-w.gif
598.gif
593.gif
645.gif

Jellicent was used because I needed a better bulky water. Politoed was starting not to work that well and a Spinblocker was nice to keep hazards on the field. He also synergized with Ferrothorn real well and helped with a defensive backbone of the team. Landarus was also added to help combat Sand Teams and also hit Flying types, especially Zapdos, who seemed to enjoy going against my team with Stone Edge.
Now that the boring part is over, on to the team shall we?

330.gif

Flygon (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

CBFlygon is a pretty underated threat. With 252 Ev's in Speed and Jolly nature, he outruns a lot of the metagame. He hits hard against stall teams once their steel is gone and can fire off strong Earthquakes to hit the many steels that plague the OU metagame. Being Locked into Earthquake or firing off Outrage too early is risky, so he mainly hits with CB U-Turn. Don't underestimate this dragon as it does have advantages over Scizor. STAB Earthquake and Outrage really dent most of the metagame, even resisted hits, and he is not trapped by Magnazone. Flygon is also a little bit bulkier with 100/80/80 defenses, albeit not as many resistance. He also has two great immunities in Ground and Electric. He also resists Stealth Rock and is immune to Spikes. He synergieses well with the rest of the team and is a solid offensive pivot.

385.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Wish
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Jirachi is here for some bulk and offense rolled into one. I originally had a spread of 192Hp/252Atk/64Spd, which allowed me to outspeed Rotom (I probably had a better reason upon making the team but I really can't remember right now why these Ev's), but after realized I could squeeze more Speed out of it by going with the above spread and nature, I can now outspeed neutral base 90 with Max speed by one point. With all the Hp Ev's, Jirachi is very bulky and with Thunder Wave+Iron Head he trolls most of the metagame. I do miss being able to paralyze Landaros and Donphan, but the 100% factor of Thunder Wave is the main reason why I picked it over Body Slam. Jirachi is also my Wish Passer user as well as a U-Turner.

479-w.gif

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Rotom is the final part of my Volt-Turn core. He also completes the synergy by resisting water. Ev's are there to outspeed Starmie and below and Dragonite by one point. I can also get a slower Volt Switch vs other scarfed Rotoms which allows me to either gain the switch advantage or hit their ground immunity with Hydro Pump thinking I'd use Volt Switch. Hidden Power [Ice] is a reliable way to nail Gliscor and also hits the dragons in the tier hard. Trick is there to cripple walls, especially Eviolite walls. Modest Nature helps him hit hard and the extra bulky comes in handy, while also being an odd number of HP to lower the amount of SR damage.

598.gif

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rocks
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

A spread I took from Pure's rain team. It has been working pretty well and the extra defense is nice. Protect+Leech Seed not only helps recover Hp, but Protect is a handy scouting tool. Spikes helps increase the passive damage taken when switching in and the core definitely causes switches. Ferrothorn is a handy defensive backbone and helps in taking outrages and that gives him opportunities to set up Stealth Rocks. Leech Seed support is the main reason he is used over Skarmory and Forretress. Being able to use protect is another pro that was taken account for.

593.gif

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 180 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Surf
- Shadow Ball

Jellicent was added as a spinblocker and for the core he made with Ferrothorn. The EV Spread is a little odd, but it ensures I wont be Ko'd be Starmie's TBolt and there is a chance to OHKO (With Hazards on the field it is trying to spin, I should be fine). 44 speed outspeed CB Scizor and then a Scald can happen and try to KO or burn. Protect is what truly allows him to defeat Starmie and it is a great scouting move.Will-O-Wisp helps with Physical attackers and can burn Scizor.

645.gif

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus was added because I was having issues with Flying types, such as Zapdos whose coverage+Substitute or Roost totally demolished this team, and the use of another U-turner. Stone Edge and Earthquake give great coverage and help combat Sand Teams (Along with his ability). U-turn is for scouting and Hidden Power[Ice] nails a weakened DNite, Gliscor, and other Landorus. His troll speed of base 101 allows him to revenge the many pokemon of OU including Jirachi, Hydreigon, and Dragonite.

I wanted to add this part later as to not influence you as you read the RMT, but I wanted to include it somewhere. Things I am thinking about changing:

Flygon: Fire Punch/Blast>Crunch: Crunch is mainly filler as things like Reunculas can not only be hit by a U-turn, but the Calm Mind version can be Iron Headed to death by Jirachi. The TR variant is a little harder to handle, but other than that, crunch doesn't hit much. The only thing is that Fire Punch/Blast is weakened by Rain.

Jirachi: A better Ev spread I guess... Not much to really change here. I kinda just threw together the Ev spread, but I really do enjoy bulky attackers and Paralysis support is nice without having to rely on the rain.

Rotom-W: As of now, none. However changes to Rotom-W will be explained a little more later

Ferrothorn: None. Maybe fit Thunder Wave in there, but Protect+Leech Seed has been more helpful than losing Protect.

Jellicent: I'd like to try out Recover>Toxic.

Landorus: None at the moment.

Overall: Overall, the team is pretty cool. Mamoswine hurts this team, but with careful prediction and the conservation of Ferrothorn and Jirachi, it is handled well.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Band
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
- Wish
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SAtk / 208 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 180 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Scald
- Shadow Ball

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Well that's my RMT :) Hope you enjoyed reading.

Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
Your picture of dragonite is a ferrothorn lol.
Really? That's all you can come up with?
Personally, I think it would be better for Fire Punch on Flygon, even tho there is rain. Ferrothorn and Scizor still take x2 damage from it, and with CB it really packs a punch.

Zachmac

Personally, I think it would be better for Fire Punch on Flygon, even tho there is rain. Ferrothorn and Scizor still take x2 damage from it, and with CB it really packs a punch.
Even though it's x4, Ferrothorn walls Flygon in the rain anyway. Well, at least enough to tank a hit and strike back with a power whip or gyro ball.

252Atk Choice Band Flygon (Neutral) Earthquake in Rain vs 252HP/88Def Ferrothorn (+Def): 38% - 46% (136 - 162 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

Also, in the rain, Fire Punch will only be x2. That gives it 140 power. Earthquake has STAB, which'll make it 150 power. It'll still hit harder.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Your picture of dragonite is a ferrothorn lol.

Fixed...

Even though it's x4, Ferrothorn walls Flygon in the rain anyway. Well, at least enough to tank a hit and strike back with a power whip or gyro ball.

252Atk Choice Band Flygon (Neutral) Earthquake in Rain vs 252HP/88Def Ferrothorn (+Def): 38% - 46% (136 - 162 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

Also, in the rain, Fire Punch will only be x2. That gives it 140 power. Earthquake has STAB, which'll make it 150 power. It'll still hit harder.
Techically x2 Fire Punch has 150 power due to Fire Punch having 75 Base Power :) and thanks for the calcs for Earthquake. I Guess SE Crunch is at least stronger than a Neutral EQ, so there is a plus. Also, Since Fire Punch is being halved by the rain, I think I will only fo Fire Punch if I do indeed run Sand. Also, while thinking of this team, I realized that the core doesn't resist fighting, but Dragonite has that covered, however without rain active (as I generally don't get it up until a lot later) Conkeldurr can be a problem. I don't want to run Gliscor but I might try him in the rain. The loss of power via Dragonite will be noticeable though.....

I also realized I forgot the importable, so if you want try it out and make changes, go ahead :)

Last edited:

tleon

Honestly you stand a better chance running lumnite with 252/0/0/252/0/6 modest/timid with hurricane/thunder/surf/dragon pulse in the rain and might I add be wary of zapdos and other rain ferrothorns but overall its a pretty good team

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Honestly you stand a better chance running lumnite with 252/0/0/252/0/6 modest/timid with hurricane/thunder/surf/dragon pulse in the rain and might I add be wary of zapdos and other rain ferrothorns but overall its a pretty good team
The bulk would be nice, but the power is just outright amazing. If I rant hat set, I'd probably go with Speed to Ko Heatran and Co, before they Ko me with Hp[Ice]. However, ExtremeSpeed+Hurrican has saved my behind from Gyaradoses who think they can set up when they see Aqua Tail

Zapdos is really annoying seeing as I hate having to rely on the Speed tie with Flygon to win. I generally just try to get rain up and hope it doesn't have sub and has roost instead. Not the best strategy, but ti seems to be working. Sub+LO would be hard to combat and would definitely need some smart switching.

How would Lando in the rain be? (Over DNite) He could help against TauntGyarados, Stone Edge for Zapdos, easily KO's Starmie and is another insurance against DNite. He keeps a fighting resistance, but cannot do much to Conkeldurr, which means a rain boost Hydro Pump while Stomaching +1 Mach Punches is my best bet against him, which still has shaky accuracy sometimes and a miss against a threat like that would really hurt.

Last edited:
nice team iu say use scarf over band on flygon that is all i see btw could u take another look at my team it hassome changes

Zachmac

nice team iu say use scarf over band on flygon that is all i see btw could u take another look at my team it hassome changes
For what reason should it run scarf? Scouting was a big deal back in 4th gen, which is why Flygon found it's way into OU, but now we have team viewer.

It's not standard in OU this gen either, that's the band. Scarf is standard in UU.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

For what reason should it run scarf? Scouting was a big deal back in 4th gen, which is why Flygon found it's way into OU, but now we have team viewer.

It's not standard in OU this gen either, that's the band. Scarf is standard in UU.

Well, Scarf allows me to hit things like Starmie, Lati@s , Alakazam Terrakion, and not have to worry about losing speed ties with other base 100's and not having any fear against Hydreigon, however the power I lose is almost not worth it. Starmie is handled with some smart switches until Rotom-W can enter or Ferrothron Ko's with Power Whip. The Lati twins, however, can hurt this team, especially SubCM Latias with Psyshock, as that totally demolishes Politoed. Latios is handled for or less by Jirachi, who can use Twave, or Ferrothorn, who can take DM's all day and use Leech Seed for recovery. I don't think a Scarf gives me enough advantages over Band. Alakazam hurts this team, but is rare enough that I'm not going to worry for now. Terrakion is "handled" by Rotom-W as Hydro Pump's acc is annoying...

While ScarfFlygon does work in the OU, I don't think he'll fit this team.

Last edited:

Swagga09

for flygon I would get rid of crunch for stone edge or fire punch. Crunch gives you no real good coverage.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

for flygon I would get rid of crunch for stone edge or fire punch. Crunch gives you no real good coverage.

Crunch is mainly filler and Fire Punch has already been addressed. Stone Edge seems cool, but I'd hate that acc... And plus I'm really only hitting Volcarona on the switch in as anthing else I'd rather use U-turn or Outage....

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
If you are considering Landorus over Dragonite to counter things like Zapdos, may I suggest scarf Terrakion instead. With an X-Scissor, Close Combat, Stone Edge, Quick Attack set, you can counter a lot of things. You even gain a reasonable Starmie counter with X-scissor.

My current concern is the shared x4 weakness to ice with two member. That's a pretty terrifying weakness for two members to share (although the rest of your team otherwise handles Ice attacks well). Running Landorus when Terrakion has similar means seems only to continue the weakness trend. It's at least worth a consideration. Terrakion is a staple on many teams for very good reason.

The lack of a spin blocker may make your hazard work seem a moote point. I'd simply be sure to use it as a tactic to lure out spinners in your teams current layout.

Aside from these little notes, I can't really say there's a lot wrong with your team. With good prediction, it can do well. It's a fairly nice team. I do apologize if you were hoping to have a little more feedback. Can't fix what doesn't look broken xD

Yellow De Viridian Grove

If you are considering Landorus over Dragonite to counter things like Zapdos, may I suggest scarf Terrakion instead. With an X-Scissor, Close Combat, Stone Edge, Quick Attack set, you can counter a lot of things. You even gain a reasonable Starmie counter with X-scissor.

My current concern is the shared x4 weakness to ice with two member. That's a pretty terrifying weakness for two members to share (although the rest of your team otherwise handles Ice attacks well). Running Landorus when Terrakion has similar means seems only to continue the weakness trend. It's at least worth a consideration. Terrakion is a staple on many teams for very good reason.

The lack of a spin blocker may make your hazard work seem a moote point. I'd simply be sure to use it as a tactic to lure out spinners in your teams current layout.

Aside from these little notes, I can't really say there's a lot wrong with your team. With good prediction, it can do well. It's a fairly nice team. I do apologize if you were hoping to have a little more feedback. Can't fix what doesn't look broken xD

Lol thanks for the comments. It brings mixed feelings to not see a wall of text lol. I'll have to try Scarf Terrakion, but I'd also like to stay away from him. I've used him a lot lately, so he seems overused for me :) I'll definitely try him out though. I feel good and bad about not having too many suggestions because, while the team itself is good, it means my lack of skills is there lol.
Thanks for the rate and if you see something you think would work better, just say something.

zerocielX

Togekiss Trainer
Stone-Edge on Flygon seems like a good idea. EdgeQuake coverage is very nice, and the crit hax from Stone-Edge can be very handy. Or you can get rid of Politoed for another bulky Water, like Jellicent or Tentacruel, both of which pair up nicely with with Ferrothorn. This way you get another Fighting resist/immunity and can now run Fire Punch/Blast on Flygon. Since this a Volt-Turn team, I would recommend Tentacruel to Spin hazrds, because they will limit the amount of times you can abuse this strategy.

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Stone-Edge on Flygon seems like a good idea. EdgeQuake coverage is very nice, and the crit hax from Stone-Edge can be very handy. Or you can get rid of Politoed for another bulky Water, like Jellicent or Tentacruel, both of which pair up nicely with with Ferrothorn. This way you get another Fighting resist/immunity and can now run Fire Punch/Blast on Flygon. Since this a Volt-Turn team, I would recommend Tentacruel to Spin hazrds, because they will limit the amount of times you can abuse this strategy.

Thanks for the rate. I'd just like to point that the beautiful thing about this core is that they aren't too worried about hazards. Flygon is only hit by a resisted SR, Rotom is only hit neutrally by SR, and Jchi is hit by Spikes :/ and resists SR :)

I'll try Tentacruel>Politoed, but I really enjoy stalling a Hydreigon with Ferrothorn lol. Fire Punch on Flygon would definitely help. (Can someone do a calc of CB Fire Punch to Skarmory?)

I am testing changes now. I will update after testing has been done :)

I can't decide whether or not Tspikes or Ice Beam should be on Tentacreul... I prefer Ice Beam for hitting Dragons, like Mence, on the switch. Worrying about speed ties with Flygon sucks.

Last edited:

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Toxic on Jellicent seems like a strange choice. Most people would say it's to corner Gastrodon, but Energy Ball can be a good wake up call. You can counter Blissey and Chansey with Toxic (keep in mind Natural Cure resolves said counter). I've just never been a fan of Toxic on Jellicent myself. Protect sounds like a great Starmie tool, until you learn that better prediction far outclasses it. If you are more capable of predicting a starmie to come in (lets face it, chance you use scald, it has thunderbolt and hazards are out? add that you have shadow ball which isn't standard... yeah it's coming out). That fact in mind, Recover over protect once you are comfortable with your level of prediction is a very good idea. Until then.. I don't entirely discourage this set.

As for Landorus, I don't really have anything new to say. You have choices, but Landorus isn't a bad choice :)

Yellow De Viridian Grove

Protect isn't as much as prediction issue, but looking into choice sets and gaining extra recover. My predictions are pretty good, but a little help is never discouraged. The only problem with the current team is that Venosaur can come on anyone in the sun and Sleep Powder it. Even without Sleep Powder, one it gets a growth under its belt, I'm doomed...