• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Verdant Ones [Original]

deerest_love

memento mori
The Verdant Ones

Ren occupies a coyote's body, but he's never felt like one.

Death, brief mention of blood and injury and implied suicide

A young Coyote winced at the crunch of bone between his teeth, but at least the squirrel died quickly. Buckbrush and manzanita snagged on his fur as he retraced his steps through the sparse chaparral, trying not to inhale the scent of blood. His prey was still warm when he reached the small cavern he called home. He paused for a beat, savoring the sunlight on his back, then stepped into the darkness.

"Hey, Ren," his father greeted. The softness of his voice made it sound like an apology.

"Hey, Pops," Ren said, voice muffled by his prey. He dropped it between his father's paws.

"Actually, Ren, I think you should eat it. I know it's not your favorite, but you've been looking skinny as of late."

"But you're sick..."

He shook his head, chuckling. "I'm always sick, aren't I? You get to be my age, that's just how it is."

Ren's throat rumbled. He withheld the other reason he didn't want to eat prey—because it made him feel savage.

But, then, so did his hunger.

The crunch of the squirrel's bones nauseated Ren, but he tried not to let it show. Once finished, he plopped down beside his father. Sickness had tinged his scent with decay, but Ren did his best to ignore it. With his eyes closed, familiar phantom sensations arose: scaly furlessness and something cool and waxy swathed around his neck. As long as he didn't look, he could pretend these sensations were real.

"You still don't feel like a Coyote, do you?"

At the question, Ren raised his head, ears flicking nervously. His eyes darted away but found nothing to distract—just the cavern's jagged walls and the sun-bleached hill beyond. The dry grass looked like it might crumble to dust.

Ren's father's voice softened to little more than a whisper. "Relax. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I've been thinking, if you still feel that way after all this time, then it's probably just who you are. Really, I wish I'd accepted it sooner."

Ren leaned against him, sighing. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it. You know, if the legends are true, the Verdians don't stray far from home. There should be a colony around Lily Valley, close to where you saw that individual. If you want to look for it, you have my blessing."

"Well..." Ren scratched the ground. "I do want to, but I can't just abandon you."

His father threw his head back; his laughter reverberated spectrally across the cave and made Ren shiver. This didn't seem, to Ren, like something one should laugh about.

Ren saw the irony the next day, when he found his father's broken body speared by the shadow of the cliff above, blood seeping from his head like tears, fragments of juniper and manzanita hanging from his mangled arm. He must have tumbled on the way down. Ren tried not to visualize it and did anyway.

Later, with the clarity of hindsight and a half hour spent crying, Ren had to admit that this outcome made a brutal sort of sense. Staring at his father's body, he saw bald spots, sunken eyes, and protruding ribs. If he hadn't killed himself, his illness might have, which would have been more painful for both of them.

As Ren calmed, the phantom sensations arose once more. Sunlight always intensified them, made him long to shed his fur.

And there was nothing stopping him now, he remembered. Just a few weeks of walking.

He licked his father's head one last time and set off.

After days of cresting sun-scorched peaks, Lily Valley felt like a lush dream. Lupins plumed between scarlet-berried wax myrtles; grapevines twined up the trunks of scattered strawberry trees, their fruits' fragrance blending with the sagebrush underfoot; milkweed and mariposa lily fed kaleidoscopes of butterflies. The foliage swayed synchronously in the breeze, as though it were a single mass.

Something green and coyote-shaped emerged from the brush not a meter away from Ren. He started and turned to face it—then realized that "it" was a "she," a creature that reified five years of fantasy. An ancient verse shot to the front of his mind:

The sun unfurls on waxen scales and kindles honeyed eyes
and dewdrops cling and sparrows sing upon a mane of vines
her clawless feet tread heedfully 'round sprouting lily leaf
and jade lips part to offer him an everlasting peace

"Is everything alright?"

Ren's heart hammered in his chest, and his breath whistled through his nose. "S-sorry, it's fine, I just..." He faltered. "...You must be the queen of this colony, right?"

The look of concern didn't leave her face, but she answered. "Yes. Did you come here to join? Or are you just passing through?"

"The former. I think. But first, I need water and sleep."

The queen nodded. "There's a good place nearby. I'll show you."

Ren followed her. Bent grass tickled his belly, and moths danced around his legs. At the northern edge of the valley, a rivulet tumbled down the rocks and into a narrow channel, passing beneath a broad olive tree. A hummingbird's head gleamed grapefruit hues as it sampled clusters of scarlet paintbrush. The scent of mountain mint cooled the air.

"There you are," the queen said. "Water, shade, and quiet. What do you think?"

"Perfect." Ren drank from the rivulet until his stomach hurt, then plopped down beside the trunk of the olive tree. The soft earth cooled his fur. He almost didn't notice that the queen was still there; her scales camouflaged her against the shrubbery.

"Do you need anything else?" she asked. "Do you want me to lie with you?"

"Uh, lie with me?"

"For company. It must have been a long trip getting here. And you came alone."

Ren's pulse quickened again as he blinked back tears. He nodded wordlessly.

The queen's flank felt cool against his. If she noticed his nervousness, she gave no indication. Gradually, the gentle breeze, and the buzzing bees, and the steady rhythm of her breathing lulled him to sleep.

Golden clouds flecked the morning sky. Ren blinked the sleep from his eyes and glanced beside himself. He found a Verdian lying there—not the queen, but one of her drones. They met eyes, and then she licked his cheek.

"Um, good morning..."

She swiveled her head slowly, brown eyes wide, beholding the valley as though for the first time. Then she casually lay her head atop her paws. Ren waited for a few breaths, but she didn't move.

Cautiously, he rested his head on hers. She sighed deeply, and her tail swished through the grass. Ren kept expecting her to object, to revert to some sort of feral state and snap at him... but gradually, as the sky lightened, and the gnatcatchers mewled in the trees, and the sweet scent of bricklebush floated down the breeze, he relaxed. His chest warmed along with the morning air.

"I see you've made a friend."

Ren glanced up. The queen emerged from the grass with a dead rabbit wrapped up in one of her vines. When she dropped it in front of Ren, the scent made him wrinkle his nose. The drone looked at it with mild curiosity.

"I caught this for you while you were asleep. You look awfully hungry." She glanced at his protruding ribs.

"Thank you," he said, and bit into the rabbit. Hunger made it easier to ignore the queasiness from eating live prey, but the act still felt embarrassing. Especially in front of the queen.

"So, did you want to resume our conversation from yesterday?" she asked once he was done.

Ren lifted his head. "Are your lives as easy as the stories say?"

Without hesitating, she said, "Yes. We drink from the stream; we feed on the sun; we shelter beneath the rocks. We want for nothing. Does that reassure you?"

"Yeah. Mostly."

"Then what else has you worried?"

Surely it's obvious, Ren thought. He glanced at the drone beside him, who had been following the conversation with her eyes but showed no sign of comprehension. "Losing my intelligence."

"Why does that bother you?"

Ren recalled his father's words. You won't be Ren anymore. You'll lose your laughter, your love.

But he already didn't feel like himself, and he couldn't remember the last time he had laughed, and he'd already lost the last Coyote he cared about. He supposed he could seek out another pack, one that would tolerate his eccentricities. He could keep pretending meat didn't sicken him. He could ignore the sunny warmth in his heart when he thought of growing scales. He wasn't sure he wanted to.

The queen spoke up, interrupting his reverie. "If you need to think about it, that's okay. There's enough fruit and prey here to last a while."

"Thank you." Ren stood. "I think I'll forage now. That rabbit really whet my appetite." Really, he just hoped some fruit would flush its taste from his mouth.

The queen nodded and turned away. "If you need me, just call."

Ren stepped forward, then turned back. Before he left the shade of the olive tree, he gave the drone a quick lick on the top of her head. She responded with a nuzzle and a wag of her tail. Her breath smelled sugary, like cream bush.

Ren spent the next two days observing the other drones—and found there wasn't much to observe. They spent most of their time lying in the sun, often beside one another. They played occasionally, but if they got up, it was usually to drink or to cuddle with the queen.

As an experiment, Ren approached one of the drones and rolled onto his back, mouth open, tail wagging.

The drone hesitated for a moment, then opened her mouth and tentatively reached for Ren's neck. Ren withdrew at the last moment and sprang to his feet, head still low, then nipped at the drone's legs—she reared up and pounced. For a while, the two dove and twisted. The drone's strength surprised Ren—she won the bulk of the exchanges—but her gentleness surprised him more: her bites were painless, and she let him spring back up as fast as she pinned him down. She didn't snarl once, either, and hardly bared her fangs at all.

Once Ren had tired, he shook the pollen from his fur and headed to the eastern side of the valley. Beyond a copse of white alders, a stream plunged from a v-shaped notch into a glistening pool. Dragonflies ferried sunlight across the water. As Ren drank, he noticed a small rock shelter tucked away behind the waterfall. Thinking it would be a good place to cool off, he crept around the bank and entered. Moss and lichen coated the walls inside, and scarlet flowers blanketed the ground, slender petals overlapping like a network of veins.

"I never actually showed you the Verden flowers, did I?"

Ren jumped slightly at the queen's voice. He peered to his right and made out her figure sitting by the wall, gazing down. Her face looked wistful—was it just the because of the shadows?

"This region is so dry, they'll only grow in little nooks like this," she continued. "Where I was born, you could find fields full of them. There were many of us."

"...Why did you leave?"

"To spread hope. Because others deserve the chance that we've had."

Ren let the splashing of the water fill the momentary silence. "Becoming a Verdian... what's it like?"

"If you mean the transformation itself... It is uncomfortable. When it happened to me, I felt sicker than I ever had. And I was in pain for most of it."

Ren swallowed, his throat tightening. "How long did it last?"

"Almost two days."

Ren let out a shaky breath. "Okay. That's not so bad. Two days isn't so long."

"I agree." Her gaze solidified as she lifted her head. "It's nothing compared to a whole life as a Coyote. If it's what you want, then I know you can get through it."

Ren's eyes moistened; he looked away to hide it. The spray beside him cast rainbows across the valley. A pair of drones walked side by side beside the plunge pool, gaits relaxed, almost slack.

"It is what I want," Ren whispered.

"Then follow me." The queen's wet scales brushed against his flank as she stepped past him.

Ren wondered, as they left the shelter, why her pace was so agonizingly slow—until he realized it wasn't, and he was just nervous. He forced himself to slow down and take deep breaths.

The queen led Ren into the shade of an alder. She gestured for him to lie beside her. Sagebrush cushioned his belly.

"The flowers you saw obviously haven't fruited yet. For convenience, I've taken to storing seeds inside me." She unfurled one of the vines around her neck and lifted it to Ren's face. Something thin and black poked out from the tip, like a bee stinger. "You could ingest them, but injection makes for an easier transformation and doesn't require as many. Is that alright with you?"

Ren nodded shallowly, not trusting himself to speak.

The queen crossed her neck over his. "First I want you to calm down. There's no rush."

The queen's warmth soothed Ren as he silently cried. She smelled of lilac and sage, sweet and clean. Towhees chirped carefree song in the branches above; crickets thrummed sleepily in the brush nearby. Gradually, Ren relaxed. "I'm ready," he breathed.

"Okay. Give me a moment to find the vein. You'll feel a little sting—just stay relaxed." She wrapped one vine around his arm, just below his elbow, and squeezed. With a second vine, she palpated the inside of his forearm. When the sting came, his breath caught, but he didn't flinch.

His arm ached dully for a moment, and then the queen withdrew her vine. Ren looked at her expectantly.

"All done." She smiled gently. "You'll feel the effects within an hour. Feel free to stretch or walk around, but you should stay close to the pool. If you get hot, I can splash water on you. Make sure to drink a lot. If you need anything at all, just ask."

Ren sighed, letting his head fall. "Thank you."

She nuzzled the side of his head. "I'd like to thank you too, for trusting me. I promise I'll keep you safe and happy, just like all the others."

Ren relaxed into her touch and let himself believe her.

An itching pain had subsumed Ren's body. By the evening, it had so exhausted him that he could barely even wince, let alone scratch. He lay on his side, panting, surrounded by clumps of fur. Small jade ridges had emerged all along his body. The queen gently ran her claws along his back, dislodging flakes of dead skin, and licked the blood away from the places that bled.

Ren spent the night in a twilight state, drifting in and out of sleep. Drones made frequent visits, helping groom and keep him warm, and the queen never left his side. By dawn he was lucid again, and his scales almost completely covered his skin.

"You're beautiful," the queen said, eyes wet, head pulled back to admire him.

Ren's attention drifted as he tried to respond. The valley seemed different, as though there were twice as many leaves on the trees. And he couldn't remember if the towhees' and thrashers' songs had been so intricate before, or if the wind had so densely ruffled the water.

He must have been losing his ability to think, but it didn't feel that way. It just felt like thinking wasn't important anymore.

Before the queen could comment on Ren's silence, the sun breached the side of the valley—and Ren gasped. The light tingled sweetly on his scales. His head slackened as a frisson passed through him, sore shoulders relaxing...

"It feels good, right?"

The queen's voice, though soft, still retrieved Ren's attention. He beheld her face; her honeyed eyes magnified the sunlight, and her smile shone. He closed his eyes as he approached, touched his nose to hers, and let that touch linger.

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
Heya, can’t say that I’ve reviewed too much original fiction before, but you put in a request for this story in particular to be looked at as part of PMDWU’s Review Tag, and given that it’s a bit bite-sized, I figured that I’d oblige.

Though a story about a coyote with bodily dysphoria? Or at least I think that’s what the tagline is alluding to? Not sure where that one is gonna go, so let’s find out:

A young Coyote winced at the crunch of bone between his teeth, but at least the squirrel died quickly. Buckbrush and manzanita snagged on his fur as he retraced his steps through the sparse chaparral, trying not to inhale the scent of blood. His prey was still warm when he reached the small cavern he called home. He paused for a beat, savoring the sunlight on his back, then stepped into the darkness.

"Hey, Ren," his father greeted. The softness of his voice made it sound like an apology.

Oh, so Ren doesn’t enjoy hunting, huh? Since he sure had very little satisfaction at that lunch he just caught.

"Hey, Pops," Ren said, voice muffled by his prey. He dropped it between his father's paws.

"Actually, Ren, I think you should eat it. I know it's not your favorite, but you've been looking skinny as of late."

… Wait, but isn’t squirrel meat sufficiently lean to cause protein poisoning? Or is that more a rabbit thing? ^^;

"But you're sick..."

He shook his head, chuckling. "I'm always sick, aren't I? You get to be my age, that's just how it is."

That’s… not a good omen for pops making it past the end of this story alive, really.

Ren's throat rumbled. He withheld the other reason he didn't want to eat prey—because it made him feel savage.

But, then, so did his hunger.

Yeah, I called it about Ren not enjoying hunting. Like just the first paragraph along gave off that kind of vibe about him.

The crunch of the squirrel's bones nauseated Ren, but he tried not to let it show. Once finished, he plopped down beside his father. Sickness had tinged his scent with decay, but Ren did his best to ignore it. With his eyes closed, familiar phantom sensations arose: scaly furlessness and something cool and waxy swathed around his neck. As long as he didn't look, he could pretend these sensations were real.

… Is Ren a lizard reincarnated into a coyote’s body or something? Since those phantom sensations felt very “lizard”-y there.

"You still don't feel like a Coyote, do you?"

… Wait, pops knows about this? .-.

At the question, Ren raised his head, ears flicking nervously. His eyes darted away but found nothing to distract—just the cavern's jagged walls and the sun-bleached hill beyond. The dry grass looked like it might crumble to dust.

Ren's father's voice softened to little more than a whisper. "Relax. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I've been thinking, if you still feel that way after all this time, then it's probably just who you are. Really, I wish I'd accepted it sooner."

:fearfullaugh~1:

That… is a worrisome implication for how these two’s dynamics were when Ren was younger, really.

Ren leaned against him, sighing. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it. You know, if the legends are true, the Verdians don't stray far from home. There should be a colony around Lily Valley, close to where you saw that individual. If you want to look for it, you have my blessing."

"Well..." Ren scratched the ground. "I do want to, but I can't just abandon you."

… Wait, the what now? Like I get the feeling that these ‘Verdians’ are going to be important, but I kinda wonder if there ought to have been a bit more about what they are or how they’re seen by Ren and his father indicated here. Like are they parsed as fearsome monsters and Ren tenses up over them? Effectively fairies that aren’t definitively agreed on to exist given that they are figures of legend?

Dunno, maybe I’m overthinking it, but assuming that it doesn’t undercut later moments, grounding the readers into what’s going on with the characters and their world as soon as possible in a shorter work like this feels like something that would be a net positive rather than a negative.

His father threw his head back; his laughter reverberated spectrally across the cave and made Ren shiver. This didn't seem, to Ren, like something one should laugh about.

… Wait, do coyotes actually do this IRL, or is this meant to be evocative of coyote myths where they’re trickster figures?

Ren saw the irony the next day, when he found his father's broken body speared by the shadow of the cliff above, blood seeping from his head like tears, fragments of juniper and manzanita hanging from his mangled arm. He must have tumbled on the way down. Ren tried not to visualize it and did anyway.

… Oh, there’s the implied suicide from the content warnings. Guess Pops decided waiting for illness to claim him was worse than just getting things over with.

Later, with the clarity of hindsight and a half hour spent crying, Ren had to admit that this outcome made a brutal sort of sense. Staring at his father's body, he saw bald spots, sunken eyes, and protruding ribs. If he hadn't killed himself, his illness might have, which would have been more painful for both of them.

I… did not realize that Pops was in that bad of shape. Though I suppose that’s why you withheld that information from the readers in the first scene since we’re finding out this realization as readers alongside Ren.

As Ren calmed, the phantom sensations arose once more. Sunlight always intensified them, made him long to shed his fur.

And there was nothing stopping him now, he remembered. Just a few weeks of walking.

He licked his father's head one last time and set off.

Feeling pretty good about that prediction of Ren turning out to be a reincarnated lizard or something like that. Since he’s definitely giving off a major “bruh, I’m supposed to have scales” energy right now.

After days of cresting sun-scorched peaks, Lily Valley felt like a lush dream. Lupins plumed between scarlet-berried wax myrtles; grapevines twined up the trunks of scattered strawberry trees, their fruits' fragrance blending with the sagebrush underfoot; milkweed and mariposa lily fed kaleidoscopes of butterflies. The foliage swayed synchronously in the breeze, as though it were a single mass.

Ah yes, it wouldn’t be a @deerest_love fic without a lovingly described vegetation sequence. Are you a botanist by profession offline or something like that? Since I’m now 3/3 reading stories from you with lovingly described vegetation sequences, and they always have a lot of care and attention to detail put into them.

Something green and coyote-shaped emerged from the brush not a meter away from Ren. He started and turned to face it—then realized that "it" was a "she," a creature that reified five years of fantasy. An ancient verse shot to the front of his mind:

The sun unfurls on waxen scales and kindles honeyed eyes
and dewdrops cling and sparrows sing upon a mane of vines
her clawless feet tread heedfully 'round sprouting lily leaf
and jade lips part to offer him an everlasting peace

So… it’s a flower coyote? Since I’m not fully sure what I’m looking at here, other than “everlasting peace” is making me uneasy there. Since… uh… death technically offers that to people.

"Is everything alright?"

Ren's heart hammered in his chest, and his breath whistled through his nose. "S-sorry, it's fine, I just..." He faltered. "...You must be the queen of this colony, right?"

Oh, so this is a Verdian, huh? Though I kinda wonder if given that this is rendered from a coyote’s perspective if we should’ve seen more of Ren’s scent and auditory perception of this whole thing, since those are pretty important senses for canids in general.

… Though then again, the entire point is Ren doesn’t feel like a coyote even though he’s biologically one. Perhaps that lack of emphasis on those senses was deliberate.

The look of concern didn't leave her face, but she answered. "Yes. Did you come here to join? Or are you just passing through?"

"The former. I think. But first, I need water and sleep."

The queen nodded. "There's a good place nearby. I'll show you."

Wow, so the Queen just lets Ren in on her territory just like that, huh? Well, you can’t say the Verdians are like coyotes even if their rough proportions are alike, since I’m pretty sure that most coyotes would get into a fight over such an intrusion right off the bat.

Ren followed her. Bent grass tickled his belly, and moths danced around his legs. At the northern edge of the valley, a rivulet tumbled down the rocks and into a narrow channel, passing beneath a broad olive tree. A hummingbird's head gleamed grapefruit hues as it sampled clusters of scarlet paintbrush. The scent of mountain mint cooled the air.

"There you are," the queen said. "Water, shade, and quiet. What do you think?"

Ren:
:riowolu:

Queen: “Yeah, this place tends to have that effect on visitors.” ^^

"Perfect." Ren drank from the rivulet until his stomach hurt, then plopped down beside the trunk of the olive tree. The soft earth cooled his fur. He almost didn't notice that the queen was still there; her scales camouflaged her against the shrubbery.

Yeah, I figured.

"Do you need anything else?" she asked. "Do you want me to lie with you?"

I’m presuming that the Queen meant that in the sense of “lie down beside you” since if not… boy is she forward there.

"Uh, lie with me?"

"For company. It must have been a long trip getting here. And you came alone."

Ren's pulse quickened again as he blinked back tears. He nodded wordlessly.

… I still can’t tell which meaning of “lie with you” the Queen means there, but I think she means the one that that’s less hot and steamy? If the ambiguity wasn’t deliberate there, you might want to consider “lie beside me” as an alternative.

The queen's flank felt cool against his. If she noticed his nervousness, she gave no indication. Gradually, the gentle breeze, and the buzzing bees, and the steady rhythm of her breathing lulled him to sleep.

Ren: “...” O///O
Queen: “Just relax a bit, traveler. You’ve clearly been through a lot lately.”

Golden clouds flecked the morning sky. Ren blinked the sleep from his eyes and glanced beside himself. He found a Verdian lying there—not the queen, but one of her drones. They met eyes, and then she licked his cheek.

"Um, good morning..."

… So they’re eusocial like bees. Bee plant coyote… things. That’s definitely a trippy concept to wrap one’s head around. Though I’m now curious. Do they draw inspiration off of entities from folklore? Or are they wholecloth creations for this story and its setting?

She swiveled her head slowly, brown eyes wide, beholding the valley as though for the first time. Then she casually lay her head atop her paws. Ren waited for a few breaths, but she didn't move.

… Wait, does the Queen also have those too, or just her drones? Since now that I think about it, there wasn’t a whole lot described of the Queen’s face such as what her eyes looked like.

Cautiously, he rested his head on hers. She sighed deeply, and her tail swished through the grass. Ren kept expecting her to object, to revert to some sort of feral state and snap at him... but gradually, as the sky lightened, and the gnatcatchers mewled in the trees, and the sweet scent of bricklebush floated down the breeze, he relaxed. His chest warmed along with the morning air.

"I see you've made a friend."

Oh, there’s the Queen now. I think.

Ren glanced up. The queen emerged from the grass with a dead rabbit wrapped up in one of her vines. When she dropped it in front of Ren, the scent made him wrinkle his nose. The drone looked at it with mild curiosity.

"I caught this for you while you were asleep. You look awfully hungry." She glanced at his protruding ribs.

Ren: “... Don’t those cause protein poisoning?” ^^;
Queen: “Yes, for humans. You’re a coyote. You’ll be fine.”

"Thank you," he said, and bit into the rabbit. Hunger made it easier to ignore the queasiness from eating live prey, but the act still felt embarrassing. Especially in front of the queen.

Wait, but the rabbit was literally explicitly stated to be dead two paragraphs ago. Isn’t that definitionally not ‘live prey’ there?

"So, did you want to resume our conversation from yesterday?" she asked once he was done.

Ren lifted his head. "Are your lives as easy as the stories say?"

Ren, if you have to ask the question, the answer is most likely going to be ‘no’.
:eltyunamused:

Without hesitating, she said, "Yes. We drink from the stream; we feed on the sun; we shelter beneath the rocks. We want for nothing. Does that reassure you?"

Oh, so they really are flower coyotes. Since they get their nourishment from photosynthesis there.

"Yeah. Mostly."

"Then what else has you worried?"

Surely it's obvious, Ren thought. He glanced at the drone beside him, who had been following the conversation with her eyes but showed no sign of comprehension. "Losing my intelligence."

… Wait, coyotes can turn into Verdians in this setting? Though ‘losing your intelligence’ seems like one hell of a catch there, especially if coyotes take after their folkloric incarnations in this setting where their wisdom and guile is what makes them who they are.

"Why does that bother you?"

Ren: “Because who on earth ever heard of an unintelligent coyote?”
:grohno~1:

Queen: “Loony Tunes?”
Ren: “... That doesn’t count.”

Ren recalled his father's words. You won't be Ren anymore. You'll lose your laughter, your love.

That… sounds like a good reason to turn around and run away, really. Since there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to go back to being a coyote if you regret this transformation. .-.

But he already didn't feel like himself, and he couldn't remember the last time he had laughed, and he'd already lost the last Coyote he cared about. He supposed he could seek out another pack, one that would tolerate his eccentricities. He could keep pretending meat didn't sicken him. He could ignore the sunny warmth in his heart when he thought of growing scales. He wasn't sure he wanted to.

I guess Ren won’t be long for being a coyote. Guess we’ll find out whether or not he enjoys the other side, or if he winds up developing regrets in short order.

The queen spoke up, interrupting his reverie. "If you need to think about it, that's okay. There's enough fruit and prey here to last a while."

"Thank you." Ren stood. "I think I'll forage now. That rabbit really whet my appetite." Really, he just hoped some fruit would flush its taste from his mouth.

Queen: “... You look more like you’re struggling not to gag right now.”
:eltywtf:

Ren: “Wh-What, that? Th-That’s just how I look when I’m hungry, really!”

The queen nodded and turned away. "If you need me, just call."

Ren stepped forward, then turned back. Before he left the shade of the olive tree, he gave the drone a quick lick on the top of her head. She responded with a nuzzle and a wag of her tail. Her breath smelled sugary, like cream bush.

Ren: “... Would it be the end of the world if I wasn’t me? I mean, no more feeling sick from the food I need to eat to survive… No more weird mornings waking up feeling like I’m covered in fur that isn’t supposed to be there…”

Ren spent the next two days observing the other drones—and found there wasn't much to observe. They spent most of their time lying in the sun, often beside one another. They played occasionally, but if they got up, it was usually to drink or to cuddle with the queen.

… Why do those drones hang around anyways? Since the fact that this colony has a queen and drones implies that the drones are needed for labor of some sort that the queen cannot provide, but I’m not really sure if we’ve seen them do anything just yet.

As an experiment, Ren approached one of the drones and rolled onto his back, mouth open, tail wagging.

The drone hesitated for a moment, then opened her mouth and tentatively reached for Ren's neck. Ren withdrew at the last moment and sprang to his feet, head still low, then nipped at the drone's legs—she reared up and pounced. For a while, the two dove and twisted. The drone's strength surprised Ren—she won the bulk of the exchanges—but her gentleness surprised him more: her bites were painless, and she let him spring back up as fast as she pinned him down. She didn't snarl once, either, and hardly bared her fangs at all.

I am not convinced at all that Ren would’ve gotten this treatment were he parsed as a genuine threat. Like everything about this just feels a little too perfect, as if it’s a deliberate “sales pitch” of some sort.

Once Ren had tired, he shook the pollen from his fur and headed to the eastern side of the valley. Beyond a copse of white alders, a stream plunged from a v-shaped notch into a glistening pool. Dragonflies ferried sunlight across the water. As Ren drank, he noticed a small rock shelter tucked away behind the waterfall. Thinking it would be a good place to cool off, he crept around the bank and entered. Moss and lichen coated the walls inside, and scarlet flowers blanketed the ground, slender petals overlapping like a network of veins.

"I never actually showed you the Verden flowers, did I?"

Ren: “The what now?” .-.

Ren jumped slightly at the queen's voice. He peered to his right and made out her figure sitting by the wall, gazing down. Her face looked wistful—was it just the because of the shadows?

Narrator: “It was not just because of the shadows.”

"This region is so dry, they'll only grow in little nooks like this," she continued. "Where I was born, you could find fields full of them. There were many of us."

… Oh, so those flowers are where these Verdians germinate from when younger, huh?

"...Why did you leave?"

"To spread hope. Because others deserve the chance that we've had."

Ren let the splashing of the water fill the momentary silence. "Becoming a Verdian… what's it like?"

Yeah, I figured that that was where things were going to go in this story.

"If you mean the transformation itself... It is uncomfortable. When it happened to me, I felt sicker than I ever had. And I was in pain for most of it."

Well, at least the Queen’s being honest about these things and not trying to sucker Ren into things with sugarcoating?

Ren swallowed, his throat tightening. "How long did it last?"

"Almost two days."

Ren let out a shaky breath. "Okay. That's not so bad. Two days isn't so long."

There’s going to be more to this explanation that will give Ren pause, won’t it?

"I agree." Her gaze solidified as she lifted her head. "It's nothing compared to a whole life as a Coyote. If it's what you want, then I know you can get through it."

Ren's eyes moistened; he looked away to hide it. The spray beside him cast rainbows across the valley. A pair of drones walked side by side beside the plunge pool, gaits relaxed, almost slack.

"It is what I want," Ren whispered.

Five words spoken seconds from disaster. Since I’m not fully convinced that this is going to end happily for Ren.

"Then follow me." The queen's wet scales brushed against his flank as she stepped past him.

Ren wondered, as they left the shelter, why her pace was so agonizingly slow—until he realized it wasn't, and he was just nervous. He forced himself to slow down and take deep breaths.
I mean, you’re only about to make a life-altering decision based off a few days of consideration that I’m not fully sure you fully understand what you’re getting into, Ren. I would have butterflies in my stomach myself.

The queen led Ren into the shade of an alder. She gestured for him to lie beside her. Sagebrush cushioned his belly.

"The flowers you saw obviously haven't fruited yet. For convenience, I've taken to storing seeds inside me." She unfurled one of the vines around her neck and lifted it to Ren's face. Something thin and black poked out from the tip, like a bee stinger. "You could ingest them, but injection makes for an easier transformation and doesn't require as many. Is that alright with you?"

nope.gif

Yeah, I’d be a hard ‘no’ at this point. But I don’t exactly like getting stung in general.

Ren nodded shallowly, not trusting himself to speak.

The queen crossed her neck over his. "First I want you to calm down. There's no rush."

… Does Ren really have a choice right now given that if the Queen really wanted to, she could just sting him right then and there and put him on track to becoming a drone?

Like on the one hand, everything about the Queen has outwardly seemed like she’s encouraging voluntarism and respects the wishes of those who approach her, but something has felt “off” about the Verdians this entire time and I can’t fully place my finger on it.

The queen's warmth soothed Ren as he silently cried. She smelled of lilac and sage, sweet and clean. Towhees chirped carefree song in the branches above; crickets thrummed sleepily in the brush nearby. Gradually, Ren relaxed. "I'm ready," he breathed.

Narrator: “He’s not ready.”

"Okay. Give me a moment to find the vein. You'll feel a little sting—just stay relaxed." She wrapped one vine around his arm, just below his elbow, and squeezed. With a second vine, she palpated the inside of his forearm. When the sting came, his breath caught, but he didn't flinch.

His arm ached dully for a moment, and then the queen withdrew her vine. Ren looked at her expectantly.

Ren: “Wait, that’s it? Just that little prick there?” ^^;

"All done." She smiled gently. "You'll feel the effects within an hour. Feel free to stretch or walk around, but you should stay close to the pool. If you get hot, I can splash water on you. Make sure to drink a lot. If you need anything at all, just ask."

Ren sighed, letting his head fall. "Thank you."

She nuzzled the side of his head. "I'd like to thank you too, for trusting me. I promise I'll keep you safe and happy, just like all the others."

Ren relaxed into her touch and let himself believe her.

D’aww… how touching. Though why do I keep getting a persistent suspicion that this isn’t going to age well at all?

An itching pain had subsumed Ren's body. By the evening, it had so exhausted him that he could barely even wince, let alone scratch. He lay on his side, panting, surrounded by clumps of fur. Small jade ridges had emerged all along his body. The queen gently ran her claws along his back, dislodging flakes of dead skin, and licked the blood away from the places that bled.

:uhhh:

Well, that’s more than a little unsettling there.

Ren spent the night in a twilight state, drifting in and out of sleep. Drones made frequent visits, helping groom and keep him warm, and the queen never left his side. By dawn he was lucid again, and his scales almost completely covered his skin.

"You're beautiful," the queen said, eyes wet, head pulled back to admire him.

I mean, at least Ren has enough intelligence to hear and process this? So… positive signs? ^^;

Ren's attention drifted as he tried to respond. The valley seemed different, as though there were twice as many leaves on the trees. And he couldn't remember if the towhees' and thrashers' songs had been so intricate before, or if the wind had so densely ruffled the water.

He must have been losing his ability to think, but it didn't feel that way. It just felt like thinking wasn't important anymore.

:copyka2~1:

I… see that Pops’ warnings weren’t far from the truth. Boy are those some creepy undertones there, even if Ren genuinely seems happy right now.

Before the queen could comment on Ren's silence, the sun breached the side of the valley—and Ren gasped. The light tingled sweetly on his scales. His head slackened as a frisson passed through him, sore shoulders relaxing...

"It feels good, right?"

The queen's voice, though soft, still retrieved Ren's attention. He beheld her face; her honeyed eyes magnified the sunlight, and her smile shone. He closed his eyes as he approached, touched his nose to hers, and let that touch linger.

This… is going to be the last thing that Ren retains enough sapience to understand and remember, isn’t it?

Alright, onto the recap:

I’m… not fully sure how I should feel about this story, honestly, which given the vibes of the other stories of yours that I’ve read, might be the intended effect. On one level, we have a touching story of Ren at long last finding happiness after a lifetime of hardship and dysphoria, but on another it comes from him functionally killing off who he is as a person. Like by the end of the story, he can’t even think about whether or not he has any regrets since he’s become a being that has no desire to think for himself. It’s an overall dynamic that I can’t decide for myself if I find it uplifting or sinister, especially since we see things through the eyes of Ren, who isn’t exactly a reliable and unbiased narrator in this story, so it prevents a definitive judgment as to whether or not this was a good thing or not.

The atmospheric descriptions and scenery were very well done. And I thought you did a decent job of selling the sense that we were seeing things through the eyes of a coyote, even if a couple parts felt like they’d have benefitted from further playing up Ren’s senses as a coyote impacting how he parses various scenes. The one thing that I felt was a little iffy on this front were the Verdians themselves, who could be a bit hard to get a read on for how they looked at points, particularly if there was any discernible difference between the drones and the queen for appearances, which is the case for most eusocial insects with such a dichotomy.

Aside from that, I’m not sure if I have a whole lot of criticisms. It’s a strange, dreamy, kinda happy while kinda chilling story that’s a good companion for nights where you don’t have a lot of time or energy and just want to get lost in something. I didn’t expect just about any of this going into this story, but I’m glad that I gave it a chance, and I hope that the feedback was fun and helpful for you to read.