• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The viability of stall, and what will dominate the 5th Gen

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Heh, I know you were referring to OU in particular. Though I'm sure you knew I wasn't being serious. (I should go and calculate the ones for Smogon's OU at this moment and see what it is.)

ryandcow7

If Kyuremu somehow isn't banned, he'll stall quite well with sub and dragon tail, in conjunction with spikes and rocks. I don't think anyone else has a big enough hp and defensive stats to replicate that though.

Kyuremu probably won't be seen on stall, but its a decent lead with Frozen World's speed drops and its an ok Choice Specs user since it can easily switch in on Bulky Waters.

Otherwise its a totally underwhelming Pokemon.

What? He can't stall anywhere. Hes ok at a few things, but stalling isn't one of them.

Behind a sub with dragon tail and with a lot of entry hazards he can. But as Epic eevee said a defensive Garchomp is better.

Well, a lot of Pokemon can do that. Kyurem has too many problems to stall effectively. His horrible defensive typing gives him a weakness to several common types, as well as Stealth Rock and some common priority moves, and also Dragon, which is dangerous considering that he is outsped by all Dragons except Dragonite and non-rain Kingdra (unlikely). He also lacks reliable recovery, with only Rest and no Sleep Talk. Even if you wanted to run a ChestoRest set, his horrible defensive typing and lack of a good boosting move (outside if Hone Claws) will let you down. Kyurem is a nice offensive Poke, but not a staller.

I really would like to meet someone who still thinks that stall is dead. The Burunkuru/Nattorie combo is really nice, even if everyone says it's overrated. Gliscor is great with Poison Heal, even if it has lost Roost. Porygon-2 is pretty good with an Evo Stone, as is Chansey (although Blissey's ability to carry Leftovers really helps it stall). And Sableye...well, don't even get me started on Sableye.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I really would like to meet someone who still thinks that stall is dead. The Burunkuru/Nattorie combo is really nice, even if everyone says it's overrated. Gliscor is great with Poison Heal, even if it has lost Roost. Porygon-2 is pretty good with an Evo Stone, as is Chansey (although Blissey's ability to carry Leftovers really helps it stall). And Sableye...well, don't even get me started on Sableye.

True story. With the broken **** (Darkrai/Skymin/Deoxys) being banned, I definitely see a big rise in the use of stall, as those guys were just a big kick in the nads to stall before.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Also I feel the need to mention that a huge portion of the "successful" stall based teams that I've seen posted are pretty much destroyed by SD Terakion.

I run a defensive Scarf Jirachi. Checks Terakion and beats that ****ing jelly baby cell thing.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I run a defensive Scarf Jirachi. Checks Terakion and beats that ****ing jelly baby cell thing.

Would you mind posting the set? I'm curious about a defensive Scarf set. Is it just like 252 HP/252 Spd/4 Att or something?

Kirbx

Lowely Pawn
I play on gary oaks and with a lot of the new tricks of 5th gen banned like sandthrow and drought and drizzle and shadowtag stall is still a potent force.

Would you mind posting the set? I'm curious about a defensive Scarf set. Is it just like 252 HP/252 Spd/4 Att or something?

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 HP / 220 Speed / 36 Defense

Iron Head
Thunderbolt
Trick
Wish / filler (depends on your team)

Speed outruns +2 Adamant Cloyster though it survives any of its +2 attacks. Thunderbolt OHKOs Gyarados after rocks and Cloyster all the time. Iron Head 2HKOs Tyranitar after a single layer of any entry hazard and Terakion all the time. If you aren't afraid of Cloyster (though you should be) you can drop the speed even more. You can actually run max HP /max Def Bold and still outrun Terakion. Trick / Wish / Iron Head can usually beat cell jelly (Rankurusu?) on its own as well as beating most "last poke setup" problems.

This was the last edition to my stall team and it did fine, but I haven't played with it much. The EV spread and moveset I'm sure can be tweaked.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 HP / 220 Speed / 36 Defense

Iron Head
Thunderbolt
Trick
Wish / filler (depends on your team)

Speed outruns +2 Adamant Cloyster though it survives any of its +2 attacks. Thunderbolt OHKOs Gyarados after rocks and Cloyster all the time. Iron Head 2HKOs Tyranitar after a single layer of any entry hazard and Terakion all the time. If you aren't afraid of Cloyster (though you should be) you can drop the speed even more. You can actually run max HP /max Def Bold and still outrun Terakion. Trick / Wish / Iron Head can usually beat cell jelly (Rankurusu?) on its own as well as beating most "last poke setup" problems.

This was the last edition to my stall team and it did fine, but I haven't played with it much. The EV spread and moveset I'm sure can be tweaked.

Interesting. Though if I saw a Jirachi I would be conservative with my Terakion anyway. Though RP Terakion will outspeed after RP obviously. How does it take an Earthquake? (Sorry I don't have a damage calculator atm, not meant to download anything :/ )

http://www.smogon.com/calc/

Use the Smogon damage calculator, its accurate and easy to use, and you don't need to download anything.

Jirachi isn't a Terakion counter since Terakion is UU for some reason and I have bigger threats to worry about. But in a pinch he does fine. Terakion never uses Earthquake due to his STABs hitting literally everything in the game harder. He does survive a LO Adamant Earthquake anyway.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
http://www.smogon.com/calc/

Use the Smogon damage calculator, its accurate and easy to use, and you don't need to download anything.

Jirachi isn't a Terakion counter since Terakion is UU for some reason and I have bigger threats to worry about. But in a pinch he does fine. Terakion never uses Earthquake due to his STABs hitting literally everything in the game harder. He does survive a LO Adamant Earthquake anyway.

Sorry about the late reply. Thanks, will be using this. :)

I was more concerned about that Jirachi living my Terakion's Earthquake. So they both 2HKO but after Rock Polish Terakion's faster, so would beat it in that scenario.

I use EQ because, despite the fantastic coverage from SE and CC, there are certain situations where EQ is useful- moreso with Rock Polish. I don't see much replacing that 4th slot that's useful tbh. Double Dance is good, but I find keeping a RP Tera back and using it late game, you don't need the extra power. With Max attack it still hits damn hard. There's Quick attack for SD sets or X Scissor for both, but what are you running X Scissor for? Claydol? Admittedly I haven't tried choice sets, but I'd be weary of using a choiced fighting types with Shandera around (yes I'm on PO over smogon- I'd like a server that doesn't crash all the time- sue me :p)