• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Video Game Awards 2020 (Also Known as The Last Of Us 2 awards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I decided to make a general thread about the VGAs, or Video Game Awards.

Here you can post who you think will when whatever award, and what kind of announcements you think there will be.

I just hope there is something that I would personally look forward too. Something good enough to sink my teeth into.

KillerDraco

I'd be happy if anything other than TLOU2 wins GOTY. Wouldn't be too thrilled about FF7R winning GOTY either because even with story and gameplay changes it's still just a remake (also 1/3 of the full story) which leaves a bad taste in my mouth for GOTY, but if it came down to it, I'd rather it be FF7R over TLOU2. My fever dream would be Hades to win GOTY because it honestly deserves it, but I know it won't because of how The Game Awards treats Indies. I also wouldn't mind Ghost of Tsushima winning, I think it deserves it too, and probably has the best chance to win overall. Doom and ACNH were both good but not really GOTY material IMO, especially compared to past entries.

I won't be watching it live because it's at the same time as Battlebots, but I'll probably watch the clips after. I'm especially interested in the fact that they're doing another Muppet skit, this time with the Swedish Chef.

...It's a little sad that the thing that most excites me about the Game Awards is the Muppets...

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
...It's a little sad that the thing that most excites me about the Game Awards is the Muppets...
At least the Muppets are great, unlike some other aspects of the game awards.

TLOU2 should win only in gameplay and maybe voice acting. Everything else about it sucks.
I heard the accesibility features of TLOU2 were pretty good, since that is a category.

MrJechgo

TLOU2 should win only in gameplay and maybe voice acting. Everything else about it sucks.
Huh... yeah... about the voicework... Ashley Johnson winning for her performance as Ellie would be fine... but if Laura Bailey wins for her performance as Abby, oh boy, we should brace ourselves for a riot...

Yeah, for those who don't know: Bailey got several threats via Twitter from """"fans"""" because they didn't like the character she was voicing. You have read that right: players voiced their utter disgust for Abby by pestering her voice actress, who has nothing to do with how the character was written. This fire is gonna get fanned and fueled to no end if Bailey wins.

Honestly, this year's Awards is just a mess for a few reasons:
  1. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition isn't there... at all... Persona 5 Royal was nominated, when it's just an enhanced port. By comparison, Dragon Quest 11 S was not nominated, because it was a port. So yeah, the fact that one game got a pass over an actual remake is awful.
  2. Animal Crossing New Horizons isn't nominated for Games for Impact, which is a huge oversight considering how the game came out during the pandemic and allowed people to meet online. Oh, and it sold almost 30 millions units under one year.
  3. Half-Life Alyx isn't nominated for GOTY, when it is probably the "killer app" for VR.
  4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps isn't nominated for GOTY.
  5. DOOM Eternal for GOTY is questionable, because it wasn't THAT big of a deal for a game. In fact, some people kinda hated the rock-paper-scissor mechanics of the game.
  6. The Best Fighting Game category has 3 re-releases for nominees.
  7. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit isn't nominated for Best VR/AR.
  8. Among Us shouldn't be nominated, because it's a 2018 game. It should be in the Best Ongoing Game category though.
  9. Paper Mario: The Origami King isn't nominated for Best Role Playing Game.
  10. Basically speaking, the GOTY category should allow 8 to 10 nominees, like in the Academy Awards, and some categories should get 6 nominees if applicable.

Litleonid

They say they have about 12-15 new games to announce. I'm prepared to be disappointed by Nintendo after they've shown us nothing but disappointment this year, whether its been the lack of a true Nintendo Direct or their controversial decisions. I'm just expecting if they're gonna announce anything, its probably just gonna be another port or some new game for a series with a very niche audience.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
They say they have about 12-15 new games to announce. I'm prepared to be disappointed by Nintendo after they've shown us nothing but disappointment this year, whether its been the lack of a true Nintendo Direct or their controversial decisions. I'm just expecting if they're gonna announce anything, its probably just gonna be another port or some new game for a series with a very niche audience.
I think it is the current global pandemic that hurt Nintendo this year. I’m sure much more was planned for the Mario 35th Anniversary this year that got scrapped. It was probably going to start back in June and have some sort of tour exhibiting Mario memorabilia and game demos and full body costumed Mario characters.

Pokemon Power

So this doesn't count as exciting?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Honestly only watching for the Smash reveal. I don’t care about what game wins or anything revealed since I could figure that out afterwards

Pokemon Power

I like to re-instate my opinion, that among the final four DLC fighters, I'd like to see one of the new Pokemon from Sword and Shield, and a character from Bandai Namco. Whether one of those will be revealed tonight, I don't know. Could also be someone that no one sees coming, similar to Joker at the 2018 Game Awards.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Come ooooooooooooooooooon, Shantae!
I think she is very likely to be a DLC Fighter in this Pass but I don’t think she will be the one to be announced today. Crash is the most likely candidate but Bandai Namco could easily announce a new Tekken or Soulcalibur game at the awards and we get someone from one of those games to build up hype.

The Mega Champion

I used to watch this back when it was on Spike TV (Now Paramount Network).

Then when it went online only I stopped. I also realized I was wasting my god damn time because not a single game I ever care about is nominated or ever wins. It's happens rarely, but sometimes a game I play/like wins. But mostly it's just the overrated stuff. So I don't watch it anymore.

I'll look up winners online once it's over.

MrJechgo

Sakurai tweeted this:
(These are 2 stopwatches from Ultimate (items) in specific times on them.)

And then someone else pointed this out:
(The watches' hands are... in the same positions as those found on Male and Female N. Tropy)

Hey, if it's Crash Bandicoot, followed by a Crash 4 Switch port, I'll take it... and dare I say... it's about time XD
Male N. Tropy... seems to always have that time displayed on the clock on his helmet in most artworks. The same can be said for the Female version.
Oh, and Geoff Keighley recently replied to tweets with "Woah!", which is Crash's trademark catchphrase.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Sounds like another yellow and purple chair scenario to me.

KillerDraco

Check the date.

Those tweets from Sakurai are from October. That may be grasping at straws.

Also, so as not to make us have two separate Smash speculation discussions, I'd say let's direct the character Speculation to the Smash Thread.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Sakurai tweeted this:
(These are 2 stopwatches from Ultimate (items) in specific times on them.)

And then someone else pointed this out:
(The watches' hands are... in the same positions as those found on Male and Female N. Tropy)

Hey, if it's Crash Bandicoot, followed by a Crash 4 Switch port, I'll take it... and dare I say... it's about time XD
Male N. Tropy... seems to always have that time displayed on the clock on his helmet in most artworks. The same can be said for the Female version.
Oh, and Geoff Keighley recently replied to tweets with "Woah!", which is Crash's trademark catchphrase.
I think that is grasping for straws. The clocks look similar but I don’t think they’re one and the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.