• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Videogame Heroes of Yesterday Discussion.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I'm fairly certain you don't understand that analogy.

You know what? That what I thought just before I posted the comment but I thought ah just post if I am wrong then I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time and it wouldn't be the last time.

WHOA, A NEW RAYMAN GAME THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE MOTHER****ER RABBIDS *Fangasm Fangasm*

Ew too much info thank you.

Anyways, anyone else think Chibi Robo is a Videogame Hero of Yesterday?

That because:
1: Chibi Robo was new IP when it came out and new IP have a hard time trying to establishing themselves, case in point Viewtiful Joe, Ōkami both game sold very poorly when they first came out.

2: Chibi Robo was released toward the end of the Gamecube life cycle.

fhqwhgads

One-off character(though it's expanded with...two? spinoff games) does not fall under this. They have to be characters designed to be mascots of a company/system. Otherwise, I could sit here all day and rattle off characters that only star in, and only were intended to star in, one game.

BCVM22

They have to be characters designed to be mascots of a company/system.

Now hold on there. Who said this? We seem to be in reasonable agreement that characters like Gex and Aero the Acrobat and lord knows what else fit this bill, and yet you'd be hard pressed to convince me that any of those were intended as mascots of an entire company, or that a company makes a cute animal hero with the intention of it only appearing once. If Bubsy had sold millions of units, you don't think he'd have appeared in as many games as the sales supported?

I don't know that Chibi Robo specifically fits the bill, but I don't think the definition you've assigned here is accurate either.

fhqwhgads

Now hold on there. Who said this? We seem to be in reasonable agreement that characters like Gex and Aero the Acrobat and lord knows what else fit this bill, and yet you'd be hard pressed to convince me that any of those were intended as mascots of an entire company, or that a company makes a cute animal hero with the intention of it only appearing once. If Bubsy had sold millions of units, you don't think he'd have appeared in as many games as the sales supported?

I don't know that Chibi Robo specifically fits the bill, but I don't think the definition you've assigned here is accurate either.
Yeah, looking back, I worded that awfully, but what I was trying to say was, not every character that you haven't seen in however many years(for Chibi-Robo, that's a year and a half, which definitely is not long enough) is a forgotten character.

BCVM22

Not every one of them, no, particularly given that Chibi Robo has appeared in recent titles, as you said. But a lot of them, and perhaps even most of them, are. A character that hasn't appeared in however many years would be a "forgotten character" almost by definition, wouldn't it?

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Here's another forgotten hero, he's SOOOO forgotten, when you click the link, you'll ask yourself: Who was high enough to create this character? James Pond everybody

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Pond

You are missing the point of the British humour, James Pond is meant to be a parody of James Bond another British heroes... Yes Britain has very odd sense of humour.

Quick, let's jump into my airplane so we can try and catch that joke that went over your head!

Wow, you have an airplane? HOW WHIMSICAL!
[img139]http://th245.photobucket.com/albums/gg74/Gorxlor/th_trollface.png[/img139]

Now, just a question of clarification, but what defines a game 'hero?' Does the quality of the game ever overshadow the character's personality and actions in this reasoning? :V Just a simple question.

BCVM22

I would think "hero" in this context specifically refers to the main/titular characters of the games in question, rather than the quality of the games and/or the personalities and actions of the respective characters.

fhqwhgads

Yeah, but that doesn't make for an interesting topic, that just ends up as a list of however many characters Mewtwo Master can Google/Wikipedia in a given day. There's gotta be some criteria outside of some obscure number of years since a game.

BCVM22

Yeah, but that doesn't make for an interesting topic, that just ends up as a list of however many characters Mewtwo Master can Google/Wikipedia in a given day.

It's going to become that eventually anyway.

There's gotta be some criteria outside of some obscure number of years since a game.

And there are.

- Main/titular character
- Appeared in at least one game
- Being an anthropomorphic animal/object not required, but helpful.
- No appearances in almost a decade also not required, but also helpful.

fhqwhgads

- No appearances in almost a decade also not required, but also helpful.
That could easily be a 'left-behind' hero as opposed to a 'forgotten' one. I feel there's a difference. There's the characters that are purposefully ended, and those that somehow fall into the cracks.

BCVM22

That's very true, but the line between the two is much finer than you're giving it credit for. For example, how are we to know whether Gex's reason for presently languishing in obscurity is developer intent or consumer disinterest?

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Here are some more

Ristar.
Metal Storm.
President Michael Wilson.

Although he was never a Hero, I'd have to say Silver the Hedgehog:

1: He was unpopular and had broken gameplay

2: He hasn't appeared in a Sonic game in the Storyline since Sonic 2006

Along with Mighty the Armadillo. Anyone agree with that?

Seriously? More "Sonic Friends?" He's like Barbie: she's popular, but you have to buy all her friends.
Sonic has more strange and obscure characters, that are just recolors or bland "creations," than America has fat people. Jesus Christ...

Alright, if the nostalgia factor is what ties a character to this, I'll toss Sly Cooper into the mix. With a promise of another game, that was never delivered, he kinda fell into Duke Nukem's realm of not being delivered for 12 years. Poor guy...fox...thing.

BCVM22

Anyone agree with that?

No. "Hasn't appeared in the storyline" is meaningless (and inaccurate, given that he played a key role in Rivals 2, which followed a year after Sonic '06, but that's neither here nor there). Silver's made appearances in nearly every appropriate Sonic title since his debut, a debut that was only four years ago at that. There's no way you can claim him to be "forgotten".

Mighty's case is better but still weak. He was hardly a headliner in his two appearances, and if we were to sit down and try and name every bit character to have disappeared into the ether, we'd be here forever.

Seriously? More "Sonic Friends?"

"More" relative to what? The statute of limitations on complaining about a new character expires after a year; Silver made his debut in 2006. No more complaining about him is permitted. Sorry.

He's like Barbie: she's popular, but you have to buy all her friends.

That's a poor analogy, given that the number of characters in Sonic's supporting cast is not proportional to the cost of buying his video games.

Sonic has more strange and obscure characters, that are just recolors

Shadow's the sole character you could actually label a "recolor", and even that is a bit of a stretch, given that they have plenty of differences.